Equine Vet Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Sara in Tarpon Springs, Florida

54 months ago

I am enrolling in the St Petersburg College program this fall. I would like to specialize in Equine. How do I do that? I realize that I might have to work in a small animal clinc at first, but would love to work my way into a horse-only vet office. What can I do to help me reach my goals?
Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

54 months ago

There are no different requirements on a state level for being an equine veterinary technician than for being a veterinary technician working with any other species. If you want to go into equine work later, see if there are equine electives where you are earning your degree, attending continuing education events specific to equine medice (most veterinary conferences have an equine track) and get as much experience as you can with horses.

There is a equine veterinary assistant certificate program offered through the American Association of Equine Veterinary Technicians. You can find out more about it through their website: www.aaevt.org It covers issues/terms specific to equines however if you are taking equine specific courses through St. Pete's then there is no reason to pay extra for a assistant certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Tarpon Springs, Florida

54 months ago

Thank you...I realized after I posted this that someone else had just posted a similar question. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question, as well. You are so helpful!

SS in Pullman, Washington

53 months ago

Hey Sara,

Get your resume together and apply to equine exclusive practices in your area. Let them know you are interested in attending vt school and that you'd like to work on horses. Most large animal practices can always use an extra hand. I don't know of too many places that turn away volunteers and they usually wind up hiring you if they like your drive and determination.

53 months ago

I wouldn't say that most places don't turn away volunteers. In the large animal and especially equine field, where there is alot more human control and restraint used rather than chutes and alleys, it's probably more common to turn away volunteers than you think. You are talking about handling horses in situations that are generally much more stressful than a typical stabling facility and in situations where the horse is already generally worked up due to injury. The risk to the volunteer and to the paid staff is increased anytime you add in a volunteer who doesn't have adequate equine experience and that causes problems with insurance. I know we turned down lots of volunteers at the equine hospital just because they didn't have enough horse handling experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

leah in East Lansing, Michigan

53 months ago

hello i am currently a freshman at msu and was wondering just what an equine vet tech really does on a regular basis. I have done a little fishing around and there are not too many sites explaining the job. I do not have too much experience with horses but i have a place that will be taking me for the next couple of summers in order to teach me more about proper handling. I am really interested does anyone have a great website or great description on equine vet techs?

53 months ago

Equine veterinary technicians will perform alot of the same tasks that small animal veterinary technicians do--monitoring patient response to treatment, restraining patients for examination and treatment, taking client history, maintaining hospitals (and truck) in a clean and ready state for daily business, maintain client records and charges, clean the facilities where animals are kept (though instead of cages and runs it will be stalls), etc. The biggest differences are going to be the conditions that you often do your work in and the size of the patients. Many things will be done outside rather than in the hospital surroundings where everything you need is easily on-hand. You will have to haul everything you might need on the truck and out to where you are working often in conditions that aren't necessarily great weather or facility-wise. You will also be required to be a good bit more physically fit. Small animal veterinary technicians have physically demanding jobs, however large animal technicians often have to run horses up and down repeatedly in very hot or vet cold weather for lameness exams, haul hay or horse feed and push cart fulls of manure.

If you want to be an equine vet tech, you really need to get as much hands on experience with horses as you can. Besides summers, consider volunteering anytime at all that you can to help handle horses and spend as much time as possible just watching them in pasture situations to learn to read their body language which will be very important in keeping you safe on a day-to-day basis on the job.

liz in San Antonio, Texas

53 months ago

You wont be doing very much unless you find a HUGE animal hospital with horses. Most Equine DVMs don't use techs

53 months ago

liz in San Antonio, Texas said: You wont be doing very much unless you find a HUGE animal hospital with horses. Most Equine DVMs don't use techs

I haven't found that to be the case. Due to the need for patient restraint and daily patient care and clinic upkeep, technicians or assistants are commonly employeed by equine veterinary technicians. Even in rural areas, such as where I am.

Those vets who try to do it all themnselves would not be my choice for a caregiver for my animals as there is simply too much for one person to keep up with.

dkshea07 in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: There are no different requirements on a state level for being an equine veterinary technician than for being a veterinary technician working with any other species. If you want to go into equine work later, see if there are equine electives where you are earning your degree, attending continuing education events specific to equine medice (most veterinary conferences have an equine track) and get as much experience as you can with horses.

There is a equine veterinary assistant certificate program offered through the American Association of Equine Veterinary Technicians. You can find out more about it through their website: www.aaevt.org It covers issues/terms specific to equines however if you are taking equine specific courses through St. Pete's then there is no reason to pay extra for a assistant certification.

Just wanted to thankyou very much for the comment. I too am in a vet tech program and also want to stear my career to horses only. Your information was very helpful. thank you again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dkshea07 in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

I just wanted to Thank you for your reply to this question. I am currently attending a vet tech program in cincinnati ohio and also would like to steer my career to horses only. I already have a diploma in horsemanship. I attened diamond oaks vocational career campus my junior and senior year of high school. and have lots of expereince with horses. So again I am very grateful for your comment.

DavidChamp83aol.com

51 months ago

I would like to relocate to florida to the ocala area.
and work for an equine vet or clinic.
I Have have twenty five years of experience wi|h horses.
encuding work at the racetrack ajd a tour of duty
at the equine center in leesburg Virginia.
Am currently attending college for veterinary technology
and business.
Hope to move to ocala in october of this year.Would wish to
line up a position as a tech or assistant before i move.
will equine veterinarian in Ocala need a tech or assistant
starting in the fall?
David Champ
Woodbridge Virginia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.