Got Let Go from First Job- Need Advice, Please!

Comments (3)

Jenn in Rochester, New York

53 months ago

I was let go from my first tech job about six months ago and I'm having some real trouble finding another one. I've been on about 10 interviews since I left and no one has even made me an offer. In a nutshell, I was let go because I had no experience when I started that job and the doctor thought that I wasn't making enough of an improvement in the time I'd been there. What he failed to take into consideration was that his techs didn't seem to have any real desire to train me, so I was basically a "glorified assistant" in that I had my degree, but no real experience to back it up. How can I get experience if I can't get a job? I had no idea it was going to be so difficult to find (and keep) a job in this field. Any advice?

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

52 months ago

One of the best recomendations in these economic times is to volunteer at a clinic when you are looking for a job. Many veterinarians will be worried about skills, experience, dedication, professionalism and how you "fit" with their team. Often by volunteering and learning how their practice works when you have the advantage of them not feeling like you should be "going faster" because they are paying you and by allowing them to see how you fit in with their team, you can earn yourself a job offer.

Jenn in Rochester, New York

52 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: One of the best recomendations in these economic times is to volunteer at a clinic when you are looking for a job. Many veterinarians will be worried about skills, experience, dedication, professionalism and how you "fit" with their team. Often by volunteering and learning how their practice works when you have the advantage of them not feeling like you should be "going faster" because they are paying you and by allowing them to see how you fit in with their team, you can earn yourself a job offer.

Thanks very much for your reply. Funny you should mention that, because I actually have applied in the past week for a volunteer position at our local city shelter.They also have a part-time "traineeship" position open, so I'm hopeful I'll get in either way. The shelter itself sucks because it's basically just a city pound with rudimentary facilities and supplies, but it's a valuable experience to put on my resume.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.