Help Finding A Vet Tech School !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Alexis Weaver in Coeur D Alene, Idaho

21 months ago

I am going to be 18 in 2014, and I have decided to pursue a career and become a veterinary technician, after I graduate from high school. I have looked at tons and tons of schools online, and have even narrowed down to a few schools. I was set on attending International Business College of Indianapolis, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I'm interested in schools either in southern California near Los Angeles, or any big cities in any other state. I don't need any schools located near me; I can go anywhere, and am looking to expand my horizons. ALSO, the catch as to why I am having problems is because I can't seem to find places that offer on campus housing. Part of my parents agreement is that I can't live off campus, so i would need an apartment on campus, but dorms are a last resort, and that's why so far I am set on IBC of Indianapolis. PLEASE HELP! (: Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

21 months ago

Before enrolling in any veterinary technology program, you should get some firsthand experience in a veterinary facility. Preferrably you would do this by working as a veterinary assistant, but at least shadow a credentialed veterinary technician for several hours. This is extremely important because the profession often isn't what people expect and also because most veterinary technology programs require it for application to the program.

Once you have some experience and are sure you still want to become a veterinary technician, start contacting different AVMA accredited programs that you are interested in and asking questions.
What percentage of students drop from the program?
What percentage of students complete the program in a timely fashion (generally 3 years)?
What is the program's graduates pass rate on the Veterinary Technician National Exam?
Does the program have an active student veterinary technician association?
What percentage of students are employed 3 months after graduation?
What kind of tutoring program is in place for the specialized courses (pharmacology, sugical assisting, nursning, etc)?
What is the complete cost of the program?
Are there scholarships or financial aid available?
How are externships handled?

Also ask to talk to one of the current students. This is a great way to get a feel for how the program is being run at this point in time rather than maybe how it was 3 or 4 (or more) years ago from talking to a past student.

You can find a list of AVMA accredited veterinary technology degree programs here: www.avma.org/ProfessionalDevelop…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.