Interview for practicing Vet Techs-project

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Julie in Brenham, Texas

62 months ago

Hi! I am doing a project for my intro to biomed class on starting a career as a Vet Tech, I would really appreciate if any practicing techs would fill out this survey for me! I'm trying to get atleast 5 people online and then 5 more i will go to vets and do in person. Thank you so much for your time!

Name:
Position: Vet Tech (large animal, mixed or small animal?)

Years of practice (total):

Do you work in a city, large town or small town (under 5,000 people)?

What is your yearly income:

What qualifications do you have? Certificate? Hands on experience or a degree from AVMA accredited school?

In your personal opinion do you think all vet techs should be trained by a school prior to working as a Vet tech?

What do you dislike about your job?

What do you enjoy about your job?

Was it hard for you to find a job?

Are their ways to specialize or progress in this career field? Other than becoming a vet?

What are the three most important qualities in a Vet Tech other than love for animals?

Do you work on Holidays?

Thank you again soooo much. I really do appreciate your time. The responses to each question can be as long or short as you feel neccesary.
-julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

62 months ago

Name: Cindy Dittmar, RVT
Position: Vet Tech (large animal, mixed or small animal?) experience both in small animal practice and equine practice

Years of practice (total): 16

Do you work in a city, large town or small town (under 5,000 people)? currently in a small town though previously worked for 12 years in practice in Dallas and Fort Worth

What is your yearly income: currently I am doing relief work so my pay varies depending on the amount of extra help clinics need. When working full time in DFW 10 years ago I earned $31K a year.

What qualifications do you have? Certificate? Hands on experience or a degree from AVMA accredited school? Degree from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program, 3 years of experience as an assistant prior to finishing school and I am a Registered Veterinary Technician in Texas.

In your personal opinion do you think all vet techs should be trained by a school prior to working as a Vet tech? Yes, at least prior to using the title. Otherwise clients may be misled into believing that the person caring for their pet has more education and experience then they do. I have seen this situation many many times and feel that it is unfair to owners.

What do you dislike about your job? The stress can be pretty great. That is why so many vet tech's burn out and get out of this profession in under 7 years.

What do you enjoy about your job? I enjoy the hands on work with animals as well as the science and puzzle solving.

Was it hard for you to find a job? no but then I had a personal in with the first vet that I worked for and then he recommended me to another clinic down the line and since then I have had good referrals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

62 months ago

Are their ways to specialize or progress in this career field? Other than becoming a vet? Absolutely, there are 5 recognized veterinary technician specialties currently---behavior, anesthesia, emergency and critical care, dentistry and internal medicine. There are also several academies that have formed but haven't met the qualifications for recognized specialties yet. But it is only a matter of time before they do. You can work in specialty practices, universities and research facilities as well as private practices.

You can also continue your formal education and get a bachelors degree in veterinary technology that focuses on clinic management.

What are the three most important qualities in a Vet Tech other than love for animals? attention to detail, good communication skills, willingness to work hard

Do you work on Holidays? I have in the past when the money was top priority, but currently do not. In fact, I currently set my own hours doing relief work.

Julie,
If you need more help with this project, like getting in touch with other veterinary technicians, please feel free to contact me. I am the President-Elect for the Texas Association of Registered Veterinary Technicians.

cindyd@tarvt.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Brenham, Texas

62 months ago

thank you very much cindy, i will be using all that in my interview section!

anyone else please feel free i need atleast 3 more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Knoxville, Tennessee

61 months ago

Position: Vet Tech (large animal, mixed or small animal?)
Large animal (horses, cattle, small ruminants, camelids, and camels)

Years of practice (total): 3.5

Do you work in a city, large town or small town (under 5,000 people)? small city

What is your yearly income: started around $31,000 with my LVT degree plus a BS

What qualifications do you have? Certificate? Hands on experience or a degree from AVMA accredited school? AAS in Vet Tech from an AVMA school and a BS in Animal Science

In your personal opinion do you think all vet techs should be trained by a school prior to working as a Vet tech?
I think the education you receive in tech school is invaluable. Yes, there are amazing vet assistants out there that have been doing the job for a long time, but as someone fresh in the field, your education gives you a good foundation on which to build your hands on skills.

What do you dislike about your job?
Cleaning up after doctors and other staff (being a "maid")

What do you enjoy about your job?
Working in a university, I love teaching vet students. I also love seeing all of the interesting cases that you will see in a referral center.

Was it hard for you to find a job?
No, there are lots of jobs if you are flexible. Know how much you are worth before you start interviewing, then find someone who will pay you that. Know your skills that will be in demand (i.e. large animal anesthesia) and highlight those.
Are their ways to specialize or progress in this career field? Other than becoming a vet? Yes! There are different specialties to join. www.AAEVT.org is the "new" equine vet tech group. Even if you don't specialize in a specific species or medicine vs. surgery, there is always advanced degrees!

What are the three most important qualities in a Vet Tech other than love for animals? Dependability and sound judgment. You are the eyes and ears of the vet... you talk to the clients more!

Do you work on Holidays? Some

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jedward in London, United Kingdom

57 months ago

im only 11 i dream of one day beeing a vetanaran

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lejla14 in magna, Utah

52 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Name: Cindy Dittmar, RVT
Position: Vet Tech (large animal, mixed or small animal?) experience both in small animal practice and equine practice

Years of practice (total): 16

Do you work in a city, large town or small town (under 5,000 people)? currently in a small town though previously worked for 12 years in practice in Dallas and Fort Worth

What is your yearly income: currently I am doing relief work so my pay varies depending on the amount of extra help clinics need. When working full time in DFW 10 years ago I earned $31K a year.

What qualifications do you have? Certificate? Hands on experience or a degree from AVMA accredited school? Degree from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program, 3 years of experience as an assistant prior to finishing school and I am a Registered Veterinary Technician in Texas.

In your personal opinion do you think all vet techs should be trained by a school prior to working as a Vet tech? Yes, at least prior to using the title. Otherwise clients may be misled into believing that the person caring for their pet has more education and experience then they do. I have seen this situation many many times and feel that it is unfair to owners.

What do you dislike about your job? The stress can be pretty great. That is why so many vet tech's burn out and get out of this profession in under 7 years.

What do you enjoy about your job? I enjoy the hands on work with animals as well as the science and puzzle solving.

Was it hard for you to find a job? no but then I had a personal in with the first vet that I worked for and then he recommended me to another clinic down the line and since then I have had good referrals.

hello my name is lejla im in 9th grade i need to do an interview if it is possible will it be okay if i can interview you julia if yes please contact me as soon as possible thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.