Is it worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Mallory in Columbus, Indiana

49 months ago

I'm 18 and have recently graduated from high school. I have been thinking about becoming a vet tech. The last semester of my senior year I volunteered at a local veterinary clinic and helped out and got to observe the techs and veterinarians. I have a strong love for animals and I'm very interested in working in the health care field. I've done a lot of research on this job and have found that vet techs don't make much money and many burn out after so many years. What I want to know is is it even worth taking the time becoming a vet tech? I've read some posts on here and other sites and many have said it's hard to support a family being a vet tech. Is this really true? I don't wanna go into a career if it's not going to be enough to support a family. Can someone please help me out? I don't wanna make the wrong decision. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Paisley in Stillwater, Oklahoma

45 months ago

Currently, I am a student at an accredited school for RVT in OK.I just graduated high school in the last year and I tried to find something to do. I am in my first semester and I can tell you it will be a hard field in which you must be ready to keep up your education and constantly adapt to situations. It requires so much from you just in school. I would recommend getting your basics while looking into some programs.
I have the same worries about supporting a family on this salary one day, especially since my husband is trying to go for a teaching degree, which teachers are some of the lowest paid jobs in OK.

I have been looking around this site as well and it seems like Vet Tech is just a difficult job and either you will love it or hate it. I hear that some states are trying hard to change the rules for RVT, LVT, and CVTs to help the salary and way that the employees are treated. Gives me hope that it might be better soon.

Anyways, sorry for babbling, but I hope you can figure out what you want to do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.