You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Jessica in Gainesville, Florida

54 months ago

$8.50-9.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Equino in Stony Point, New York

54 months ago

Well..."thanks" for your comment...got a job offer making $15.50 so your "advice" is no good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Bay Trakehner in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

54 months ago

Way to go Equino! Appears your interview went very well..Good job! I have an interview at a veterinary hospital tomorrow for receptionist/technician position in a brand new facility. Although I have some years working in a vet clinic, it has been awhile. I am confident I can fulfill the requirements of the actual job, it's the interview that concerns me?? I am currently working at a large, full service Humane Society but it's a bittersweet job,and at times,can be emotionally draining. I've decided working on the veterinary side of animal care is healthier for me. So wish me luck..Congratulations again on your new job!
p.s. I also own and care for horses! Take Care..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

54 months ago

Equino in Stony Point, New York said: Well..."thanks" for your comment...got a job offer making $15.50 so your "advice" is no good.

Jessica's estimate was actually quite good for work in veterinary facilities in most areas of the country as an inexperienced veterinary assistant.

The fact that you have been hired on at a higher rate just means that you are in a special situation. Equine hospitals tend to pay a bit more because there is more risk and more heavy labor involved and the need for that special requirement "lots of experience with horses" which is hard to find and which means that you need less training for the basic tasks and decreases the risks during daily work because you have an idea of how to be safe around horses. You are also in an area of the country with a fairly high cost of living which affects pay as well. Neither of these nor the fact that you got hired in at a good rate makes Jessica's information incorrect.

PS. I used to be the head tech at an equine hospital and helped do the hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Bay Trakehner in Grosse Pointe, Michigan said: Way to go Equino! Appears your interview went very well..Good job! I have an interview at a veterinary hospital tomorrow for receptionist/technician position in a brand new facility. Although I have some years working in a vet clinic, it has been awhile. I am confident I can fulfill the requirements of the actual job, it's the interview that concerns me?? I

Good luck with the interview!

Just be very aware that you cannot work as a veterinary technician nor call yourself one in Michigan unless you are licensed as a veterinary technician.

"Section 333 section 18811 Veterinarian or veterinary technician; license or authorization required; prohibited conduct; use of words, titles, or letters.
(2) After July 1, 1979, an individual shall not practice as a veterinary technician without a license."--
www.legislature.mi.gov

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

If you read my original post, I asked for advice on what to expect as far as interviewing for a potential job goes. I never asked what to expect for pay. I am well aware pay rate varies from area to area. In my particular area, newbies should expect to make between $12-14/an hour, with the more experienced and licensed techs making about $5 more an hour. I know a couple places that pay even more than that-one friend who's been working as a VT for years makes $50,000/year. It's a good area money wise. Anyway, I never said Jessica was wrong, just that comment had nothing to do with what I created this thread for.

I'm not working at an Equine Hospital, as much as I wish I could, even if the pay is much less. But the nearest clinic is still too far for me to justify.

How did your interview go, Bay Trakehner?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

doglvr in Vienna, Virginia

49 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Good luck with the interview!

Just be very aware that you cannot work as a veterinary technician nor call yourself one in Michigan unless you are licensed as a veterinary technician.

"Section 333 section 18811 Veterinarian or veterinary technician; license or authorization required; prohibited conduct; use of words, titles, or letters.
(2) After July 1, 1979, an individual shall not practice as a veterinary technician without a license."--
www.legislature.mi.gov

The position that was asked about was a Veterinary ASSISTANT - not a LVT etc - basically, they help the LVT's and Vets in a V Asst job, sometimes cleaning, feeding/care of o/n or boarding animals, cleaning equipment, phones, client check in/out - depends on the place - some use them for more than basic stuff - will help with lab work etc as well - it just depends on the clinic/hospital as to what your daily tasks would include -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KC in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

I have a job interview on Friday with a local emergency pet hospital in Sacramento. I'm kind of in the same boat as Equino - I'm not sure what to expect and I don't really have any experience working in a vet office other than a short summer internship during college. Although, I have been working at a dog boarding facility for two years as a kennel tech and receptionist. Additionally, I have my degree in Animal Science.

The woman I spoke with also asked me about doing a "working interview" after the official interview. She mentioned a tech and that she'd be doing dentals that day. Do you think I'll be expected to assist considering my lack of experience (it's been YEARS since my vet internship) or in this case will I just be required to observe and answer questions? I'm kind of nervous and definitely confused. I don't want to show up there, ace the sit down interview, and look like a clueless fool when asked to do something during the working interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Just be honest! If the position is for an assistant, they won't expect you to be able to do a dental on your own your first day out. I've been at my job a few months now and LOVE it. I have learned SO much. I think the hardest thing most new people have is the terminology, figuring out what is what and where everything is. I've seen some of the newbies struggle with how to hold animals, and I know myself I was awkward about small dogs at first. Everyone I work with has been very helpful and explained everything thoroughly. I didn't do a working interview myself, but there have been some newbies who did, and that was to see if they had any experience, how they followed instruction, and basically to show them what the job would be about.

Good luck don't stress over it and just be honest!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jaimaste in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

Anyone know what potential pay rates would be working in Los Angeles as a licensed Vet Tech? I am currently a CPA and make $60K plus bonus and feel a little tight with money....but I HATE my job so much I just don't know if the financial stability is even worth it anymore. I absolutely love animals and would be happy spending the rest of career taking care of them. At the same time though, I do need to be realistic about supporting myself seeing that I am single with no family or marital support. Thoughts or anyone from LA? Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

47 months ago

jaimaste: Check out salary.com for info on pay rates in the Los Angeles area. You can expect much less than the $60k you make now as a CPA, and you will need to gain some experience in the industry. If you want to become a registered veterinary technician (RVT) in California, you will need an AS degree in veterinary technology from an accredited school in order to sit for the national exam (VTNE) then submit paperwork, and keep your registered status current via contininuing education. In considering a career change, don't forget about the opportunity costs that come with changing industries: education, entry-level jobs, lost income as you leave your current career or industry.... You could consider a BS degree and become a technologist with a specialty such as animal behavior or surgery technician, but even those won't typically match your current salary. Look up AAHA-accredited schools, too. However, if you love animals you may find the work rewarding, and you can always volunteer at shelters, ASPCA, Humane Society, and other places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

jaimaste: I meant AVMA-accredited schools.
www.avma.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shilo88 in Bakersfield, California

42 months ago

I am currently in school to become a RVT in California but in a year and a half I will be moving to Michigan. Would my RVT certificate transfer over into Michigan to be a LVT or do I need to go back to school all over again and start over? Or do I need to just take a general test in Michigan to qualify for my LVT?

42 months ago

Credentials (licensing, etc) doesn't automatically transfer from state to state and this is especially true coming from California because it is the only state that licenses veterinary technicians but doesn't require them to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam.

As long as you have your degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited program, you should just have to apply for licensure in Michigan and take the VTNE. You can find Michigan's vet tech licensure packet here: www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch_vet_tech_full_appkt_88542_7.pdf

jjh in Burlington, Vermont

30 months ago

Jamaste: I realize this was a long ways back; what did you decide to do. It you haven't yet, you may want to look into the office management position in veterinary hospital instead. It still will not match your income but will utilize much of what you already know in the setting that you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TSmith1967 in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Credentials (licensing, etc) doesn't automatically transfer from state to state and this is especially true coming from California because it is the only state that licenses veterinary technicians but doesn't require them to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam.

As long as you have your degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited program, you should just have to apply for licensure in Michigan and take the VTNE. You can find Michigan's vet tech licensure packet here: www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch_vet_tech_full_appkt_88542_7.pdf

I am from California and can't find info on licensing. If i attend San Juan do I need to take VTNE to become licensed? If not, can I not practice as a Vet Tech?

27 months ago

What school you attend doesn't have anything to do with what test you are required to take in your state.

San Juan College's program is AVMA accredited and an acceptable education for credentialing as a veterinary technician in any state in the US. And you can indeed sit for the Veterinary Technician National Exam, however in California the VTNE isn't the required test yet.

You can find the forms and requirements for becoming a Registered Veterinary Technician in California through that state's veterinary licensing board website: www.vmb.ca.gov/applicants/forms.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TSmith1967 in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: What school you attend doesn't have anything to do with what test you are required to take in your state.

San Juan College's program is AVMA accredited and an acceptable education for credentialing as a veterinary technician in any state in the US. And you can indeed sit for the Veterinary Technician National Exam, however in California the VTNE isn't the required test yet.

You can find the forms and requirements for becoming a Registered Veterinary Technician in California through that state's veterinary licensing board website: www.vmb.ca.gov/applicants/forms.shtml

Thanks for the info and link. I am just confused as to whether I will be considered a LVT upon graduation or is there only RVT? I don't know where to find that info. I have looked a zillion times on the website. Thank you though!

27 months ago

You won't be anything just upon graduation, but upon completing CA's requirements for credentialing. AVMA accredited college programs aren't "RVT programs" they are veterinary technology degree programs and don't grant any credential. (People using the term "RVT program" is a pet peeve of mine because it causes confusion for people who are new in the field or trying to get into the field.)

The credential you get depends on the state you are in. Each state has it's own laws governing veterinary technicians and the credential used in that state is dependant on the laws. Credentials granted in one state do not transfer to another. If you move from one state to another, you have to meet the credentialing requirements in the new state and then use the credential granted in that state.

California registers veterinary technicians and you will be an Registered Veterinary Technician when you meet the requirements of that state's veterinary licensing board. It is the equivalent to a license because it is required by the state to practice as a veterinary technician and allows you to perform tasks that non-RVTs cannot, but the title is RVT rather than LVT.

MaryBeth in Panama City, Panama

25 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Good luck with the interview!

www.legislature.mi.gov

Hello. I just joined this site for some desperate advice on starting my carreer in Veterinary technology. Last may I graduated from an accreddited AVMA vet tech school of 2 years and also took the natioanl boards but unfourtunatly missed it by two points, so I will need to retake them. Currently I turned down a job offer becuase I was ofered the wonderful oppourtunity for solo studies in another country where I am learing language. I never would have another oppourtunity like this again so I put my main career on hold. Now I am becoming a little nervious when I return to the staes and start off my career again. My question is what are my options for work when I return? I will be retaking the boards when I return but as you know they are only ofered at certain times, so I would like to land a job if possible in the mean time. When I return I will be in Iowa, where I am originally from but it is most likely I will move to Maryland (Near Washington D.C.) so these areas have a few rules of license of there own. Would an employer be comfortable with hiring a curently unlicensed tech? also would my extended studies have an effect on my career? Please respond as I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to work and education. I would really appriciate any advice available. Thank you!

25 months ago

Hi Mary Beth,
Your options when you return will be pretty much what they were before you left. You hire on as a veterinary assistant until you get licensed to work in the state you settle in. You cannot hire on as a vet tech (or use that term for yourself) in a state where licensure of vet techs is done. So, you would apply for positions with a resume that shows all of your experience and education and then write a cover letter that spells out the fact that you have your degree but are having to wait to take the VTNE so that you can get licensed.

Whether or not the language studies will prove valuable when you look for a profession as a veterinary technician will depend on what language and whether that's something you will run into much where you are looking for a position. For example, someone who speaks spanish and is credentialed as a veterinary technician will have "bonus points" when applying for a position in south Texas.

Good luck! And join VSPN.org to help keep you connected to other veterinary technicians while you are abroad.

MaryBeth in Panama City, Panama

25 months ago

Thank you so much for the advice, it definatly put my worries at ease. My biggest concern was if I was still able to work, since I was not licensed I felt uncomfortable putting a place of employment in that cituation of having an unlisenced tech working for them. I will apply for an assistant position and use the experience, plus individual studies to prepare for the Nationals once again. Thanks so much!

25 months ago

MaryBeth in Panama City, Panama said:

MaryBeth, some job postings will seek credential-worthy "technicians" who may be awaiting their state credential, like in your case. Type in "tech/technician" when looking online for jobs, and see for yourself. Your resume will reflect your degree, and you can explain that you are waiting to take the exam and apply for the state credential to be CVT/LVT/RVT.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.