LVT or RVT or CVT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Hemalathap in Atlanta, Georgia

59 months ago

Hi
I am trying to find out which states are still excepting the grandfather law to be able to take the Vet Exam with only on the job expierence. Does any one know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hemalathap in Atlanta, Georgia

59 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say Vet Tech Exam

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

59 months ago

Very few do and in 2010 no one will be able to sit for it without having a degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited program.

It would require sitting down and searching every state's requirements to put together a list that does allow "grandfathering". The majority of them do not.

SarahB_LVT in Temple, Texas

59 months ago

I believe the National Vet tech exam is only offered in Jan and June. The next one wont be until jan 2010 and I beleieve I heard the same thing in 2010 you have to have completed an AVMA accredited program in order to sit for the exam.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

59 months ago

Yep, you still do have to check into what your state allows because credentials don't automatically transfer from state to state.

We were just discussing this issue during the meeting of the Texas Veterinary Medical Assoc.'s Technician Oversight Committee.

Stephanie in Vancouver, Washington

53 months ago

I took the VTNE in Jan 2010 as per the "grandfathering" in way (5 years experience working with a licensed Vet) in WA state. I believe this method of training will be accepted until 2014.

Stephanie in Vancouver, Washington

53 months ago

Sorry... In WA state it will be accepted only until Dec 31, 2010. The VTNE is held in Jan and June each year. From what I understand, you must have the 5 years experience when you BEGIN filling out the paperwork to sit in on the exam. In WA, you take the state exam and must pass that before you are eligible to sign up to take the VTNE.

C. Gray in Portland, Oregon

50 months ago

Hemalathap in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi
I am trying to find out which states are still excepting the grandfather law to be able to take the Vet Exam with only on the job expierence. Does any one know?

Oregon state will offer the test one last time in december to those with on the job experience only, after that you have to have graduated from a 2 yr. program.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.