Let's talk benefits!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Andremw87 in Detroit, Michigan

24 months ago

Hey all. I've had a lifelong love for animals, and though I work in a research lab right now and make decent pay, I long to work at a vet hospital.

I've been thinking about going back to school to work as a vet tech! I'm getting married soon, and my fiancee has great benefits. However, we have been talking about having a family someday, and I always have the thought in the back of my mind, what would happen if he loses his job? What would happen if we don't have health insurance from his employment anymore?

I know that techs don't make much, and this isn't an issue for us. However, how is the benefits situation for you vet techs out there? Do techs typically have access to a decent health plan, 401k, etc? I'd love to hear from all of you about the benefits techs typically receive at different types of practices or employment.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Manhattan, Kansas

24 months ago

In my experience, benefits are scarce in private practice. Most offer paid vacation/sick days. Some offer health plans but I usually couldn't afford them and I have never worked at a private practice that offered retirement benefits. You may have better luck at a large specialty hospital but I certainly wouldn't assume anything. As far as I've ever heard research is really where it's at for good pay and benefits. Another option you may want to consider is working at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The pay and benefits are usually ok and you get to work with pets (as well as vet students which I consider a bonus!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.