On Line Schools, and Modified Knots??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

KathyRVT

44 months ago

We have two tech students from an online school doing some of their practicals at our practice. They are required to do a Modified Knotts for HW. Are all the schools requiring this? Their lab book, which is fairly new states something to the effect that the Mod. Knotts is the most common test for heartworm dz. Ok; I've been in this profession for over 35 years, and it's been YEARS since I've done a Knotts, and for good reason...it's not accurate! I don't even know if I still have the filter thingy around the office! I'm thinking when we remodeled and moved the lab, it got tossed!

I don't want to make waves with the director of the program if all the on line schools are requiring this; yes, I'm good with directs, and looking at buffy coats, but why do a Knotts?

Please!!! give me some feedback! I will also be taking this question to www.vetmedteam.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

44 months ago

I'm not sure that all schools require it, but I would bet that they do. The vet tech programs have to prepare their students to work in situations that are common in practice and there are still plenty of vet clinics that use older testing methods due to cost issues.

Your employee could ask her director about why it's required and see if there is any way around having to take it, but it may also be on the AVMA's list of required skills and there would be no way around it then.

KathyRVT

44 months ago

I guess some clinics could still be using it, true. It was pretty much all we had way back when I was in school.
I wanted to see if all programs are requiring it, before I asked the AVMA about it. I have gone over the theory and method with the students, but have yet to find the filter.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

43 months ago

Have you contacted your local humane society or spca to see if they possibly still use this method? If so I bet your students could get some hands on experience there.

Kathy, RVT in Skipperville, Alabama

43 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Have you contacted your local humane society or spca to see if they possibly still use this method? If so I bet your students could get some hands on experience there.

No, but that's a good idea. I do know our HS in Wichita uses the Snap, but there may be others still using the MK.
I did contact the director of my school; she told me the Knotts is NOT a requirement, but is suggested. Direct and antigen is required. Schools do have the option of calling for certain things that are not required by AVMA; I've gone to bat on one item with this school; I may have to go to bat on this one, too. I do think students should know the theory; I also think they should know why it's not accurate, and why it's not used much anymore.
In my opinion, doing a PCV and looking at the buffy coat is more accurate than doing a Knotts.
My current issue now is finding a HW positive dog! I've had nothing but negative tests for months...a good thing, but now I need a positive, with MF!
By the way, I have NO idea why this site thinks I'm from Alabama...I'm from Kansas

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.