Purdue University or San Juan College ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

marcelito in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Hello, im trying to decide which one of these two schools are better for an online program (vet tech), if Purdue or San Juan. Ive read amazing things about both of them but im undecided which one would be better. Any thoughts ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

20 months ago

Make sure vets hire vet techs who get their credentials from these online Us.

marcelito in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

I dont think there's a way i can find about this because each vet would be different :(

20 months ago

I'd so some random calls or show up at some vets and just schmooze with the faculty.

Also, make sure to search on indeed.com for threads about this. There are some threads about this topic and some people that can probably help.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

Do you mean San Juan College in Farmington, NM? I know that school. There's a world of difference between it and, I'm sure, Purdue. I'd choose Purdue if I could afford it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

marcelito in Encino, California

20 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Do you mean San Juan College in Farmington, NM? I know that school. There's a world of difference between it and, I'm sure, Purdue. I'd choose Purdue if I could afford it.

Yes, i meant San Juan College in NM. So, do you think Purdue is a better school ?

20 months ago

marcelito in Encino, California said: Yes, i meant San Juan College in NM. So, do you think Purdue is a better school ?

They just wrote "I'd choose Purdue if I could afford it."

I think that means they think it's a better school. Don't go into deductive reasoning, whatever you do. Stick with the dogs and cats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

marcelito in Encino, California said: Yes, i meant San Juan College in NM. So, do you think Purdue is a better school?
I know San Juan College. I taught an aviation course for one semester at SJC nearly twenty years ago. San Juan was a two-year school back then. It still is. I doubt it carries much name recognition outside the Four Corners area.

Compare with Purdue, which has been around forever. Purdue is a four-year university, as compared to SJC, which is a two-year community college. Purdue has a great brand. It has great name recognition. I am sure it has higher admission standards than SJC. In turn, IMO employers will pay more attention to a Purdue degree than a San Juan College degree. How can SJC be compared at all to Purdue. IMO Purdue is a no-brainer.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

20 months ago

San Juan College's veterinary technology program is fully AVMA accredited and is recognized in the veterinary industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

20 months ago

Contact the school you are interested in directly and ask questions. You can even ask to be put in contact with current students to see what they think about the program and the veterinary clinics where their past students are employed to see what the veterinarians feel about the program.
Most veterinary technicians/students are only going to have had contact with a single school, so even getting first hand reviews about a single program will only give you limited information. If that student hasn't seen the other school, they are still giving you an opinion based upon limited data. So talking to someone from several different schools will help you get a better view to compare the schools from. By contacting several schools/students you are giving yourself a better set of data.

Questions to ask of the program itself are:
What is the pass rate of their students on the Veterinary Technician National Exam?
What percentage of students complete the program in a reasonable time (like 3 years)?
What percentage of students drop the program in the first year?
What percentage of students are employed within 3 months of finishing the program?
Do they have programs setup to tutor students in the specialized courses that are invovled in a veterinary technology degree? (Colleges will have math and english tutors, but may fall short on having tutors or student to student help for classes like clinical pathology)?
How are internships/externships handled? Do they set them up or does the student have to find a clinic themselves?
What is the overall cost of the program?
What kind of financial aid is available?
What is the full cost of the degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Meig in Fox Lake, Illinois

20 months ago

San Juan College is a GREAT school. The instructors are wonderful, they are very supportive, and you get a great education. They are also half the cost of Purdue.

Purdue is also a great school, but you don't need a fancy school name to get an excellent education. And it doesn't matter anyway, whatever YOU put into your schooling is what you will get out of it. Just because someone has a degree from Purdue doesn't mean they will be a good tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Port Chester, New York

15 months ago

I am a Purdue alum. I live in Connecticut. It turns out the vet my parents use in Vermont. my fiancees friend in buffalo also has a Purdue vet. Wild!

When it comes to degrees Purdue is not an expensive name, Harvard is.

If you live there one year you can attain residency and have you tuition dropped greatly.
Tuition & Expenses
In-state tuition and fees $9,900 (2012-13)
Out-of-state tuition and fees $28,702 (2012-13)
Room and board $10,378 (2012-13
Purdue is a huge place with a rather compact campus. The sky is the limit for studies. they have huge labs and research areas. One of the funtion it serves a a public school is extension. You will go out and interact with people and animals in the real world.
It does look like it is cheaper even with in state but with RA and other opportunities, if you needed to you could find work easily to help.
the alumni network is strong and this helps with placement. Go look at both schools when in session or summer school and you will get a feel for which one in right

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.