Vet Tech Career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

jaimaste in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

Hi All,

I am thinking about switching careers from my current title as a CPA at a big 4 accounting firm...as a corporate auditor. I am so absolutely unhappy at this job, but I am good at it and the pay keeps me afloat, and I worked so dang hard for that CPA license that I've tried to stick with it. My real passions lay elsewhere and thats with animals and taking care of people.

I am looking into nursing school but I am also considering jobs with animals other than becomine a full on Vet ( the thought of having to run my own practice/business does not appeal to me).

I would love to become a Vet Tech and get my license I'm worried however I wont be able to support myself in this career. I currently make about $60K plus bonuses and still don't have much left over to save. Is there a way to work in this field or any animal related field and maybe make at least $50k? Or is this just wishful thinking? I wish I could do what I love and just be happy...but I have a lot of financial responsibilities that I just can't ignore. Any advice would be great!! Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Hatfield, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

The vet tech pay is definately not going to support you it ranges from 16-20ish an hour and theres not much room for growth career wise........could you maybe volunteer at the local animal shelter in your spare time instead

if i were you i'd stick with your current career

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

41 months ago

jaimaste: Check out salary.com for info on pay rates in the Los Angeles area. You can expect much less than the $60k you make now as a CPA, and you will need to gain some experience in the industry. If you want to become a registered veterinary technician (RVT) in California, you will need an AS degree in veterinary technology from an accredited school in order to sit for the national exam (VTNE) then submit paperwork, and keep your registered status current via contininuing education. In considering a career change, don't forget about the opportunity costs that come with changing industries: education, entry-level jobs, lost income as you leave your current career or industry.... You could consider a BS degree and become a technologist with a specialty such as animal behavior or surgery technician, but even those won't typically match your current salary. Look up AVMA-accredited schools, too. However, if you love animals you may find the work rewarding, and you can always volunteer at shelters, ASPCA, Humane Society, and other places.
www.avma.org

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.