Vet Tech Salary?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

POOL_GODDESS in Scottsdale, Arizona

67 months ago

Ok so I looked it up & for Scottsdale, AZ where I live, the average Vet Tech makes $27K/yr where as in New York the average Vet Tech makes $32 - $37K/yr. This probably has to do with the cost of living. It's pretty cheap to live in Arizona but I still don't understnd why there's such a big gap in salary. From what I hear, I think everyone should start out with at least $13/hr because of the physical demand the job requires. What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KRYS in Mesa, Arizona

66 months ago

I THINK YOU ARE VERY RIGHT....BUT LET ME TELL YOU I JUST MOVE TO AZ FROM MISSOURI AND THEY START OFF EVEN IF YOU WENT TO SCHOOL -$8.00 HOW CAN YOU LIVE OFF OF THAT AND THEY ONLY WANT TO GIVE YOU 29-32 HOURS....NOTHING...UNLESS YOU GET WITH A VERY RICH PRIVATE PRACTIVE THEY WILL GIVE YOU ABOUT 13 OR SO...SO I'M GLAD TO GET OFFERED 13 OR 14 AN HOUR HERE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yvonne in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

i agree i belive you should get paid more because of the demand of work involved and i had to go to college to get my degree and im getting paid the same rate as some one in the fast food business and its just not fair. right now im getting paid 9 dollars an hour which isnt nothing and i also had to get another job to be able to pay my bills so i think the pay should be higher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Middletown, New York

66 months ago

I'm an LVT about 1.5 hrs from NYC. I only make $17/ hour and I am on the top of the payscale here. I will be lucky if I ever push 40/year. NYC techs make approx 23/hr.

I think I'm going into Dental Hygiene.

Lisa in Middletown, New York

66 months ago

p.s. the average house is $250,000

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York

66 months ago

It's not the price of housing that really kills you in the area in which Lisa in Middletown, NY lives, it's the taxes. Modest new constructon 2000 sq ft house will cost you between 7000 and 9000 grand per yr in school and property taxes.

K. in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

51 months ago

I just started in the field (my first tech job) and I make 11.50/hour. That is pretty low for CA but I think they started me low because of my lack of experience. I know that RVTs can make around 50k+ working for the city of Los Angeles in local shelters. I would have applied for that job but I haven't taken boards yet. I think it just depends on experience, location, and who you work for... pay varies wildly, but there's one thing that is certain - vet techs don't go into it for the money.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.