Vet tech and disabilities

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

doozer203 in Ogdensburg, New York

36 months ago

I was wondering how difficult being a vet tech is physically. I was in a car accident almost two years ago and have some problems with my feet, but mostly with my ankle. The mobility there is pretty limited. I can get around pretty well, but use a cane a good deal of the time. I'm currently signed up to start a program in a couple of weeks, but if I can't do it, I'll figure something else out. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KATtheDogLover in Long Beach, California

36 months ago

Doozer203:

Vet Tech is a very physical job. There is a lot of standing, walking, stooping, squatting, reaching, lifting, pushing, pulling, holding, and more--not much sitting. Cleaning is a great part of a VT's day-to-day work, plus handling chemicals, vapors and radiation exposure, and the risk of being bitten, scratched, kicked, etc.

I'm sure you would invest in the appropriate footware and wear ankle supports. However, using a cane might prove a bit difficult and awkward for the physical demands on a Vet Tech.

Reception or practice management are less physically demanding. Just my two cents. Good luck whichever direction you choose!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.