Vet tech mommies!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Nikkib484 in Wylie, Texas

58 months ago

Id love to hear from Mommies that worked thru the pregnancy! Im 8wks along with my first and can not find any good info regarding iso and waste gas exposure! I work at a surgery only center so i can not completely elminate it. We only use passive scavenger systems ( sodasorb) . However i did eliminate my radiation exposure all togather. Id love to hear im not the only person trying to keep my job and have a family, but if i need to quit i need to know that to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Manhattan, Kansas

58 months ago

Probably the best person you can talk to would be your OB. Be sure that they understand the difference in scavenger systems though, they'll be likely to assume it's just like in a human hospital. If your Dr. wants you to avoid waste gasses altogether you can get a mask that will filter them out. It MUST be fitted properly though or it's useless. I think if your doctor orders you to have it your employer must provide it, but you might want to check the laws on that one. I've heard of some OBs that don't want their patients exposed to any waste gasses and some (like mine) who weren't concerned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shana in Urbandale, Iowa

57 months ago

Nikkib484 in Wylie, Texas said: Id love to hear from Mommies that worked thru the pregnancy! Im 8wks along with my first and can not find any good info regarding iso and waste gas exposure! I work at a surgery only center so i can not completely elminate it. We only use passive scavenger systems ( sodasorb) . However i did eliminate my radiation exposure all togather. Id love to hear im not the only person trying to keep my job and have a family, but if i need to quit i need to know that to.

Hello I am a vet tech for 15 yrs I have just recently had a baby and I did all my normal duties such as rads anest. and everything I have always done with the okay from my ob dr I felt very comfortable with it all and my baby is great and as normal as can be

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

57 months ago

It is NOT recommended that you work around anesthesia machines or radiation as an expectant mother. There are also certain chemicals and drugs that you should not handle. You should also not be doing heavy lifting or cleaning cat feces up. These are standard recommendations made by OBGYNs for pregnant women who work in the veterinary field because they all come with extra risks (often very high) to the baby.

www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/9008

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.