Comments (4)

Katie laubachlents in Canyon Lake, Texas

57 months ago

Please contact me if u kno anything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

57 months ago

Katie,
There are several good veterinary technology programs in Texas.
You can find the whole list here: www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/texas.asp
There are also some colleges in Texas that offer veterinary assisting certification programs. But be aware that this is not the same thing as a veterinary technology program and will not allow you to sit for the Veterinary Technician National Exam or the state board exam to be registered as a veterinary technician in Texas. There are a few of these veterinary assisting programs that will count towards your degree in veterinary technology but you need to be sure that the one you pick (if you go that route) does count towards a college degree should you decide to get a degree in veterinary technology.
You may also want to go ahead and get a job or volunteer at a veterinary hospital as a veterinary assistant prior to starting school just to be sure that this is really what you want to do. The job is often not what people expect.
If you have any further questions or just want to talk about the differenc options, feel free to contact me. I am the president-elect for the Texas Association of Registered Veterinary Technicians. www.tarvt.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lacydog in San Antonio, Texas

52 months ago

How much time is actually spent in a vets office as part of the curriculum or is practical/lab experience even part of the program? The program at Palo Alto in San Antonio, Texas requires proof of 80 volunteer hours at a vet office as part of their application. One of the programs in Texas has a distance program for vet techs. Is being in the classroom preferential to distance learning and how does a distance program handle practicals?
The website with the list of programs available in Texas was very helpful.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

51 months ago

Each school handles it a bit differently but practicals are all handled by having a credentialed veterinary technician or licensed veterinarian sign off on you being competent at performing the list of skills layed out by the AVMA. Some schools require that you be employed in a veterinary facility all the time that you are enrolled in their program while others require that you only be employeed for the last semester of school. You will need to ask about specifics from the schools you are interested in.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.