Does this type of thing happen to everyone starting out? -- Costumers leaving : (

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

anon in Clinton, Iowa

66 months ago

Okay, I'm pretty new to waitressing (less than a year) and I usually get a pretty small (and slow) section on the weekends, because my manager knows this. When she finally decided to move me into a bigger section I was so happy and felt proud because I thought she had faith that I'd finally be able to handle it. Then the restaurant had a huge rush, which I'm not used to at all because there is barely ever a rush in the section I'm normally in. I felt like I had a ton of tables at once and I handled most of them except two I couldn't get to so I asked another waitress to help out. But, by the time she got to one of the tables the customer was really angry and just left and she told me and I felt horrible.

Another incident like this happened to me another time a while back as well and I still feel bad about that one.

I just feel like I'm the only one this happens to and I've let myself down and I feel like I've let my manager down as well since she finally thought I could handle this situation.

Does this kind of thing happen to everyone starting out or am I just really bad at my job? And, how do those with more experience handle this sort of thing happening, I really want to learn how to have a faster pace and work with these situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

keep it honest in Austin, Texas

66 months ago

anon in Clinton, Iowa said: Okay, I'm pretty new to waitressing (less than a year) and I usually get a pretty small (and slow) section on the weekends, because my manager knows this. When she finally decided to move me into a bigger section I was so happy and felt proud because I thought she had faith that I'd finally be able to handle it. Then the restaurant had a huge rush, which I'm not used to at all because there is barely ever a rush in the section I'm normally in. I felt like I had a ton of tables at once and I handled most of them except two I couldn't get to so I asked another waitress to help out. But, by the time she got to one of the tables the customer was really angry and just left and she told me and I felt horrible.

Another incident like this happened to me another time a while back as well and I still feel bad about that one.

I just feel like I'm the only one this happens to and I've let myself down and I feel like I've let my manager down as well since she finally thought I could handle this situation.

Does this kind of thing happen to everyone starting out or am I just really bad at my job? And, how do those with more experience handle this sort of thing happening, I really want to learn how to have a faster pace and work with these situations.

Well, if the restaruant incourages the staff to work as a team in helping one another if one of the wait staff gets behind, due to getting too many tables at once, that would be a conversation to have w/manager. If you are new to the high volume section; then you will have to do the best you can. If you think you should talk to the Mgr. about too many tables, you may request a slower section until you know how to take care of a high volume section. It is hard work and if the restaurant you are working doesn't encourage helping out one another- you may not be able to keep up with the customers and they (the Mgmr) will frown on that. Try to talk to mgmt about your situation...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Clinton, Iowa

66 months ago

keep it honest in Austin, Texas said: Well, if the restaruant incourages the staff to work as a team in helping one another if one of the wait staff gets behind, due to getting too many tables at once, that would be a conversation to have w/manager. If you are new to the high volume section; then you will have to do the best you can. If you think you should talk to the Mgr. about too many tables, you may request a slower section until you know how to take care of a high volume section. It is hard work and if the restaurant you are working doesn't encourage helping out one another- you may not be able to keep up with the customers and they (the Mgmr) will frown on that. Try to talk to mgmt about your situation...

Yeah, I'm going to talk to her about it today. The problem is I don't want to be moved into a smaller section again because then I'll never learn anything or get used to the rushes and that's what I want to do. I don't feel like I can better myself without the challenge, but I keep screwing up every time I get that opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

66 months ago

Don't beat yourself up. There will come a time when you are not doing waitress work. As a waitress, you can only do so much at one time, and really does not come down to skill and experience (they help, but only so much).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

wqert in Elk City, Oklahoma

66 months ago

If I saw a waiter that was overwhelmed I would be patient. If I saw they were trying I would remain patient. Its attitude that I stiff on. Like smugness or rudeness or taking customers for granted or mumbling under your breath when a customer asks for something.

Most new waiters you can tell are trying hard so you cut them some slack. I even tipped newer waiters extra because I realize how hard time there having.

Its the ones who act burntout on their job that I stiff. Its the ones who don't even try to pretend they like you. I've been on the waiter end myself- yes some customers do suck and F them let them leave.

But you can't judge a customer on their looks and just assume they suck thats what a lot of waiters do, like I didnt use enough hair gel or didnt wear my tie to dinner, and they don't know how to conceal their contempt. That is a bad waiter.

An inexperienced waiter that has a positive attitude- some customers see this and will tolerate it.

A bad customer lacks compassion for their waiter, but a bad waiter also lacks compassion for their customer. If you are not able to put yourself in others shoes you should eat elsewhere or in the waiters case you should find a new job.

The thing that gets me is waiters who think they can act smug or rude in this day and age of e-mail and mass communications. They forget how easy it is for a customer to contact their manager and their managers manager and the president of the chain.

Sorry if they were "just having a bad day" they better try to hide it if they're serving me because If I get treated with rudeness or taken for granted I start sending emails but I would never do that just because someone is starting out and makes mistakes. Its all about there attitude/demeanor.

Rude waiters should consider this: Think about if you took your mother out to eat on her birthday would you want her subjected to a rude attitude waiter ruining the occasion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.