Hourly pay question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 168 of 168)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

k in Twin Falls, Idaho

47 months ago

Wendy in Akron, Ohio said: I make $3.55 and hour and I make about $50-$100 a night. I claim about 3/4 of what I make in tips and I had to pay taxes this year! I am not sure whether I am claiming too much of my tips or too little. Does anyone know why I have to pay taxes this year?

where I live I claim 8 percent of my till or my credit card tips, which ever is higher.. A good rule is to follow your paper trail. The more you make, the more they take. you have to pay because they arent holding enough taxes. Claim yourself and kids if you have them on your taxes and just claim credit card tips at the end of your shift and you should balance out. I make min wage but with tips about 14 hr., weekends 27-30 hr. and holidays about 40hr. its really not that bad ! lol

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

lstraveler in Harvey, Louisiana

29 months ago

Stan in Fayetteville, Arkansas said: Oh yeah, I realized that I forgot to mention this earlier: A 16% gratuity is still listed on the tickets and paid by the members on everything that they purchase. But, the staff doesn't see a dime of that money and the members don't realize that the tip they're paying is not for the service they received. One of the employees tried to confront the management about this seemingly strange situation with questions like "Where does that money go?" and "Do the members know about this?" but he was immediately fired. Sounds fishy, huh? Regardless, I left the place because I felt like I was working under a bunch of crooks. I would still like to correct the situation if I can because I don't like seeing that kind of behavior go on unchecked. So, is the 16% "gratuity" that the management receives taxed differently and could lead to IRS trouble, or is this just bad business and blatantly lying to their customers?

Yes this is crooked on the new owners part, I would look elsewhere for employment and on the way out the door be sure the club members are made aware of this change, i'm sure it will cause an uproar but it needs to!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

GB in Overland Park, Kansas

17 months ago

bear in Piedmont, South Carolina said: Its called IRS

Lol, you're supposed to claim your taxes. Idiot. "I commit tax evasion then post about it online!" :P

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

coffeeeat in Morley, Michigan

14 months ago

Afton in Billings, Montana said: I am not required by my employer to report tips but I want to on my taxes so that I dont get in trouble. How do I do this on my tax form does anyone know?

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f4070_accessible.pdf

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

P. Mann in Woodhaven, New York

12 months ago

Nono in Newark, Delaware said: no they can't. but you should comfront them if you ever have any questions about your pay check and tip claims . there really needs to be an orgaization just for tipped/more specifically restaurant tipped employees for this kind of inquiry. Most people just aren't sure of what their legal rights are and the employers much too often take advantage, knowing this which in some cases reflect on those employees who are hired. If anyone knows of any such organization, please let us know. Thanks in advance!

You probably should speak to a lawyer before confronting your boss. At minimum, if you get fired for this, your concerns are already on record.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

irv in Elmhurst, New York

7 months ago

3.55 and hour and?....
you need to work your grammer sir

Reply - Report abuse

irv in Elmhurst, New York

7 months ago

Wendy in Akron, Ohio said: I make $3.55 and hour and I make about $50-$100

work on your grammer
Its really bad

Reply - Report abuse

Bri in Quincy, Illinois

7 months ago

terra in Mchenry, Illinois said: Hi where i live it is 4.50 an hour plus tips .. I generally make about 150.00 a shift .. My checks are about 140.00 +/- every 2 weeks ... We do not get taxed on our tips how can they tax our tips they don't know what we make LOL thats my bosses statement anyways

Because you have to report a certain amount of money at least depending on your sales. If you keep reporting to little they will audit you and you can get into trouble.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bri in Quincy, Illinois

7 months ago

LYNNEHUNT80@*****.*** in Farmville, North Carolina said: I KNOW A WAITRESS IN HILLSBOROUGH NC AND SHE TOLD ME HER BOSS TOLD HER SHE MADE TOO MUCH MONEY SO HE HAD TO ZERO OUT HER CHECK FOR THE 2 WEEK PERIOD.HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING...THIS HAS HAPPENED TO NOT ONLY HER BUY SOME OF HER CO-WORKERS AS WELL.I FEEL HES DOING THEM WRONG,CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I'M ASSUMING RIGHT BEFORE I TAKE IT ANY FURTHER!!!!!

Well they do have to pay tax on their tips. So yes if you make a lot of money your paychecks can sometimes be 0 since servers are not paid a high amount.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bri in Quincy, Illinois

7 months ago

crazy_one in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm sorry I can't help you but I too have a similar problem. I make $2.15/ hr . plus tips, which for 5 hours I'm lucky if I make $15.00, does the employer have to pay me what I would have received if I made min. wage? For example: $2.15 x 5 = $10.75, plus tips $15.00 = $25.75.
If I was receving just min. wage I would get $5.75 x 5 = $28.75. Since the Hourly wage is more would that mean they would pay me the salary that exceeds that amount? The rest. is fairly new and there is often times when the rest. closes I stay 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. cleaning ---is that time still waitress hourly pay?
Thanks so much!

To be completely honest , it sounds like you need a new job. I make $4.95 hour and work about 30 hours per week. My weekly paychecks are about $40-$60 and I average about $600-$800 per week.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bri in Quincy, Illinois

7 months ago

MJJ in Logan, West Virginia said: I have had the same question before at the place i work. I only make $2.14/hour and some days i might make $40 or $50 on a 11 or 12 hour shift if i'm lucky. I asked one of my manages that question several months back and she said the reason that we don't pay you what you don't make to equal min wage is because you make well over min wage on the weekends and it evens out. I thought that it was on a day to day basis and they had to pay you to put you up to min wage. And at the time when i asked her the question that really was the case. But now on the weekends is when i have been working double shifts (12hrs) and i'm only making between $40 and $80 on a WEEKEND!!!
Can anyone tell me if they can do that?
And as far as my taxes my managers automatically claim 8% of the total cost of food that i sale. For instance i may serve a table that orders $200 worth of food and if they they don't tip it doesn't matter that 8% of $200 is still considered what i made in tips and it is taxed!!!
Does anyone know if that's right?? Can they do that??

It sounds like you need to look for a new job! I make $4.95 an hour. My paychecks are usually $40-$60 a week , and I make anywhere from $600-$800 on average per week.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

ron in Austin, Colorado

7 months ago

Jorgab in Asheville, North Carolina said: The government requires every penny you make to be reported to them, and yes they will tax you on your tips. Avoiding paying taxes by not reporting your tips could lead to an audit by the IRS so I sure don't recommend that. What a lot of people don't realize is every employee as well as the employer would be audited if the amount of money made is not reported.
I have been in the business for a while now, and am currently the GM of a restaurant.
What people don't understand is it is not the business that is taxing you, the government taxes the business and its employees.

actually, it depends what state you are in. ---- for instance, in some states, you are taxed on 8% of the sale, regardless of the amount of the actual tip. --- and that amount will be included on your w-2 form for that year. ---- you need not report anything received beyond that 8%. ---- anyway, the important thing to remember is that is a state issue, not a federal issue, and so how you report tip income depends on your state laws. ------ fyi.... in my state, waitresses receive nearly $10 an hour, plus tips.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Starr in Katy, Texas

5 months ago

terra in Mchenry, Illinois said: Hi where i live it is 4.50 an hour plus tips .. I generally make about 150.00 a shift .. My checks are about 140.00 +/- every 2 weeks ... We do not get taxed on our tips how can they tax our tips they don't know what we make LOL thats my bosses statement anyways

They tax credit card tips not cash

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Stuck single mom in Tampa, Florida

4 months ago

Mika in Vienna, Virginia said: Yes that's because we deal with greedy people running the country

I thought there wasn't tips I heard in Europe there's none just base pay or tip already Included for tipped employee s.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

robertchilelli in Cold spring, Kentucky

3 months ago

When I was a server at Frisch's Big Boy Restaurant, every time someone left the credit tip they (frischs) are credit tips are taxed and put on our next paycheck for example, out of $288 which is $2.13 an hour hourly pay + 32 hours at week and then the rest and up to make 288 after $47 a week and child support and just regular State and County taxes a $288 I only got to see anywhere from 40 to $50 each check each week and that goes to say that if I work the whole entire shift and everyone pay with credit cards at shift I didn't get to come home with any cash is that legal? Also if if so you can please email me at Robert.chilelli.rc@gmail.com so I can turn this into the Better Business Bureau or I can't call corporate because first is sold out and they're all individually owned yet I remember working a whole shift I brought home $11 cash I had $80 on credit and that credit builds up each day and at the end of the week paid. They would take your hourly pay $2.13 an hour plus your credit tips as well as a tips that you claim added all together and then they would tax it all.

To me I believe this is illegal as I do study criminal justice in college I just want to get a professional answer or someone else's opinion if it's legal or not because that is the reason I quit Frisch's is because if I did make cash tips then there was no point in working, I would always tell my guess not to leave a credit tip even though our bosses would get mad if they were to find out but I didn't care because they Tax store credit tips! Someone please explain to me I don't get on this site so if you can contact me via email and explain to me exactly what to do because this I know this has to be illegal? There's no doubt about it.

Contact me via email if this is someone that knows anything that or something that I can do about this because I worked a full year and with a credit tips each week I'd only get anywhere from 20 to $70 out of $350 to $400 a week
Robert.chilelli.rc@gmail.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

robertchilelli in Cold spring, Kentucky

3 months ago

Also my year paid vacation is getting put in this week from Frisch's I just stayed there until I found a better job and I use it as a backup job! With us servers how do we get paid with our vacation pay is it $2.13 an hour because I got 28 hours vacation pay or do they take our $2.13 plus whatever tips we made all year round and calculate it somehow and / something and a company supposed to match it as what I was told but as I was messaging my boss he told me that I'd only get the $2.13 an hour for my here week paid vacation, so I did not understand what's the point of the vacation pay if we're only going to get paid the $2.13 an hour could anybody answer this for me of how do servers get are yearly week paid vacation how do we get paid, I mean how much do would we get paid?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Savannahwatson11

2 months ago

Hi, I work in South Carolina as a server at a sushi bar. We are required to turn all our tips in as we make them. Cash included. They hold our tips for a week and we receive a "tip check" from the restaurants private bank account every Tuesday. They don't take taxes out of this check only 15% tip out of each days tip total. Is it legal for them to hold our tips for a week? We didn't sign any paperwork or contract explaing this at employment.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey

2 months ago

Savannahwatson11 said: They don't take taxes out of this check only 15% tip out of each days tip total.

Huh?????

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.