Questions about waitressing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Confussed in Kitchener, Ontario

22 months ago

Hello, I am a 17 year old female. I just got a job at a family-owned Thai food restaurant and I would like to ask some questions. This is my very first job, so I don't know much.
First of all, I want to know if it okay for my employer to take my tips? My employer told me I was not allowed to accept any tips and if I did accept any tips, I was to put the tips in the 'tip box' to go towards getting stuff for the restaurant. She also told me that if I ignored the rule and she found out I was keeping the tips, it would be considered 'stealing from the store' and would result in me being terminated.
Second off, I was told I won't be being payed to do training. On the first day of my training (yesterday), she was actually making me work and do stuff that wasn't considered 'training' in my eyes. She made me take a customer's order and left me alone with him. I stood there clueless for about 8 minutes because I didn't know what I was doing, and when my employer came back, she told the costumer I was new and made it sound like I was stupid.
I don't know what to do, really. I need a job very badly because of problems at home, and I can't afford to loose the job, but I really don't want to have to work there. I need some advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.