how to become/encourage someone to become a successfull waiter/waitress

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

sarah in Johannesburg, South Africa

71 months ago

Im missing so many things with my waiters at my lodge.Things like good commucation skills around guest,smiles,commitment and the willingness to go an extra mile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Timothy in Seattle, Washington

70 months ago

I am a server in a fine dining room. Honestly, things like smiles, willingness, and commitment are usually inherant qualities; therefore, you should hire servers based on their natural qualities, and bank on the fact that most anyone can become a good server with a little training. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Timothy (always going the extra mile with a smile :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Johannesburg, South Africa

70 months ago

Timothy thanks so much for your respond in this matter,it really means a lot.However i found some of them here and now my problem is how do change this because it seems to me that whoever was their manager before didnt have a pro with their way of doing things.Help me on this one please.

Sincerly,
Sarah

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Timothy in Seattle, Washington

70 months ago

Well, if you have servers that are caring individuals but lack inspiration, then perhaps you can go about it from this angle:

Explain to them that by learning better commumication skills and understanding the needs of the guests more, they will have an easier time doing their job. You can quote me on this, "My job only got easier as I learned how to better communicate with people." If they know that they will be helping themselves as well as others, there is usually a more intrinsic motivation present.

As for smiling, well, if they try it out for a day, I think that they will soon see that smiling is reciprocated. The more they smile, the happier the guests will be and the better the servers will be treated.

As for going the extra mile, if servers know that their tips often are directly affected by their willingness to go the extra mile.

Also, when talking to your servers, do not be condescending. Although this is not always the case, there are many servers in the world who are actually quite intelligent, and they will not listen to someone who thinks they are better than they are simply because they are in charge.

If you have anymore questions let me know, for I would be happy to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.