What are the best ways to get bigger tips no matter how slow the night is?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Andy in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

Have you found any techniques to consistently get larger tips from your tables?

The local restaurant I work at has the usual seasonal swings...from full house summers to the 2&3 table nights in the winter.

Short of leaving for a more consistently busy restaurant, what are some things I can do or say to make even the slow nights more profitable with bigger tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John in Starkville, Mississippi

71 months ago

Building relationships with customers is key to making better money as a server. Many restaurants have "regulars" that always come in daily or weekly depending on their relationship with the servers, bartenders, managers of the restaurant. My advice is to get to know the people you serve. Try to find out a little about them and tell them a little about you. Some customers will not be very willing to open up, but you'd be suprised how many will. Also, try to meet any need that you can while serving their food. The more you go out of your way to provide them the service they want the more money they usually leave on the table. Also, just always be friendly and SMILE! Most people love to see a happy and smiling server. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.