Getting a web analyst job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing web analyst work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Kikiy Weathers, Web Analyst in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

I got my job as a Web Analyst--without any "employment" experience. What I did have, however, was a "freelance" experience only. I started by writing SEO articles. When I realized the power of SEO, I decided that I wanted to learn as much as I could. One thing led to another, and now I'm the sole Web Analyst at the world's busiest airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta. Even though I had limited experience, I was able to leverage all my experience, along with my education, to break into the Web Analytics. You can, too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

muvelli in Bellevue, Washington

78 months ago

Kikiy,

I would like to move to the field of web analytics as soon as possible but I have limited background.
Currently I am reading a book about the Google Analytics program and want to begin tracking a few sites of my family, hoping to learn the fundamentals. I am also looking into taking the UBC Introduction to Web Analytics course so to have a solid understanding. What else do you think I should be doing and reading? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim Dineen in Wallingford, Connecticut

78 months ago

I'd agree that you can break into web analysis or online marketing fields just by understand the field and having performed those duties on your own projects.

It's probably not enough to read a few books, but showing that high of an interest level may help you find a role at the entry level where one of your tasks is supporting web analysis or analytics functions.

The industry is still new enough such that smart people with a decent education and a high level of interest can find work.

Muvelli, being located in Bellevue WA you might be able to consider attending some conferences. There are several in California and but at least one near you this summer called "SMX Advanced" this June.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AlexStorey in Alexandria, Virginia

76 months ago

I agree with Tim. There is no degree in Web Analytics (yet!) so you have to learn it but basically doing it. An understanding of web analytics - and a talent for numbers and seeing trends - is a good start.

muvelli in Bellevue, Washington

76 months ago

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am beginning a course about Web Analytics. That should help me understand the basics. Appreciate the help!

Kikiy in Stockbridge, Georgia

76 months ago

muvelli in Bellevue, Washington said: Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am beginning a course about Web Analytics. That should help me understand the basics. Appreciate the help![/QUOTE

First read everything you can, not only about Web Analytics, but also about Search Engine Optimization and Web/Internet marketing in general. Then, get a test site to work on (for free, of course--at least at first). Look at the site statistics, so that you become familiar with the information that you have been reading--only then will it start to make sense.

Good luck!

JWO in Stamford, Connecticut

31 months ago

muvelli in Bellevue, Washington said: Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am beginning a course about Web Analytics. That should help me understand the basics. Appreciate the help!

@Muvelli, I was just reading this post and I notice it is some 3 1/2 years old now so with that, how are things? How did you get on with your course and how has your career proressed since? I am thinking of taking a course in Web Analytics also and would be interested to hear how you found it?

Thanks

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.