Getting a writer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

How did you get your start doing writer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

kishen jackson in Oro Grande, CA

93 months ago

writting is my passhion.
how do i get experience before getting degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Apple Valley, California

93 months ago

Bubba has a point, however you might want to look into an internship for the experience with your local newspaper/ company. It would be a start for you. Also with writing, it is very important to have your thoughts clearly outlined from beginning, middle and an end. I know, sometimes thoughts can come across all over the page. It takes patience and persistance! Best of Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

92 months ago

I agree with the previous posters. I would also add, a good way to break into writing would be to find a niche and fill it. Write about odd topics, or write within an odd field. Find a profession with people who aren't good with words and offer to write for them.

Personally, I work in Engineering/Design. A big majority are not comfortable or confident in their written communications. Start by editing for people who need help, then branch out into co-writing then writing. I don't think most positions will be overnight dream-jobs, but, you have to start somewhere.

I think two important points I've learned...

You must self-edit! Put down your piece for a few days and come back and force yourself to change things. I used to get in the mindset of 'I'm finished', and leave things be. Don't trust yourself that much! Review and revise.

You must be comfortable with research! There isn't much demand for first-person accounts, so be prepared to go digging for details and facts on your topics.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

applicant in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

kishen jackson in Oro Grande, CA said: writting is my passhion.

Another thing that you might want to consider is doing some volunteer writing work. This will help you get some experience, meet some people, and create samples that you can use in your portfolio. I've been a technical writer for 10 years now and my portfolio still contains a couple of items that I produced for the local police department while I was doing volunteer work. They look a little dated and I've considered taking them out of my portfolio, BUT the subject matter sets me apart from other applicants. Yes, I did the work free years ago, but it's probably helped me land some jobs that make it pay off in the end.

Does this help? Good luck to you in your writing career . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

superman in Alpharetta, Georgia

87 months ago

applicant in Houston, Texas said: Another thing that you might want to consider is doing some volunteer writing work.

Thank you for the advice. I'd like to ask a question to all of you with more experience: what are the best words to use in a search? I have a degree in English (creative writing), and I'd be very interested in volunteering to write for anybody. I would also love to land a job as a copywriter, journalist, or editor... Any job to utilize my ability to write would be good. WHAT ARE GREAT KEYWORDS TO SEARCH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

superman in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Nabanita Singha Roy in Calcutta, India said: hi..i have been writing for a while now..but there is a problem. I prefer freelancing because i have college to attend and am alos getting myself a phoography diploma. It is another of my passions. However it si really irritating to work with so many middlemen and then there are clients in between who are bogus. I have been to many sites but somewhere theres always a problem. Please tell me how to channelise this. I hate being underpaid and cheated. thanks. nabanita.

What kinds of writing do you do? Anyway, I think you might look for an agent--somebody you can trust & who might work for less than any old random middle-man.
If you write creatively, check out THE WRITER'S MARKET... I write poetry, and I picked up THE POET'S MARKET. One of my teachers gave a class-long lecture on getting published. And, I think that THE WRITER'S MARKET covers areas such as newspapers etc....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Altea, Spain

84 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing writer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Why not take a training programme? The Institute of Creative Writing and Copywriting offer some great courses at www.inst.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Altea, Spain

84 months ago

kishen jackson in Oro Grande, CA said: writting is my passhion.

Why not take an on-line writing course? The Institute of Copywriting and Creative Writer offer a great course at www.inst.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

E in Pompano Beach, Florida

58 months ago

I like writing with whimsy and fancy, any suggestions as to where i could work darling people?

Sandra in League City, Texas

35 months ago

You can gain experience and exposure by writing articles for sites. I write for a site called the examiner at exm.nr/qhrt6q and am making some money, as well as exposure, experience and at the same time I'm building a portfolio.

Go to exm.nr/qhrt6q to pick a topic of your choice.

Good Luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.