What are typical Yard Driver salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Yard guy in Victorville, California

51 months ago

The only skills I imagine could help you land a position as a yard driver would be a CDL, the ability to use a computer, a desire to serve your customer and common sense. I'm a local driver who works a couple days a week in the yard and the position pays $250 a day for a 12 hour shift. It's a very large yard and I average about 8-9 trailer moves an hour, which keeps me hopping pretty much all shift non-stop. Because you're in and out of the truck all day, you will find its also a decent workout. I once calculated that I walk about 1.5 miles and climb 450 steps in and out of the truck, based on 90 trailer moves a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

YDinNC

47 months ago

You will find variations in pay depending on the location you live and the company you apply for. My company pays $19.60/hr for a 10 hour shift. Production is 10 moves an hour which is rather easy. Anyone looking for such a job should have computer skills, ability to communicate clearly via radio and a good driving record. CDL's only matter if you will leave the lot so some companies may require it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.