Top zamboni driver skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every zamboni driver must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your zamboni driver expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Keith T. in Randolph, Massachusetts

110 months ago

Caution.
Cool temper.
Don't scare easily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Great Zambeano in Indianapolis, Indiana

86 months ago

To be one of the best Zamboni Drivers you need practice and lots of it.

There are a few things that help with a perfect ice make. First, you need a good rink with the right temps and humidity levels. This will help with the water to freeze quickly causing no flooding at the creases.

Know your Zamboni/Olympia ice resurfacing machine. Find that spot that helps you to overlap laps of ice with the lease amount of overlapping as possible. Usually you can find this spot on a newer machine by a crease on the top of the dump tank. If your resurfacing machine has no noticeable creases once you find your mark put a mark on it. This will help with training new employee's on the machine.

Maintenance is so important. To get those perfect ice cuts you need to keep the machine up-to-date. Change your blade monthly. If you keep your blade as long as possible even tho it is still sharp the rust will cause issues. Keep your resurfacer greased and check your hydraulic lines! If you ever get hydraulic fluid on the ice the clean up is horrible and causes a lot of downtime or unhappy customers. The very most important maintenance is keep your water lines, hot water, cold water tanks clean! The lime deposit will affect your water control.

Once you have everything down to this point how do you consistently put down the perfect ice? The biggest tip I can give you is practice but water control knowing how the water will react to the ice and the amount to put on will help you dearly.

Anyways, I hope this helps you and here is what I consider the top 3 traits.

1. Experience
2. Water Control
3. Maintenance of the Machine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Saint Louis, Missouri

82 months ago

The Great Zambeano in Indianapolis, Indiana said: To be one of the best Zamboni Drivers you need practice and lots of it.

There are a few things that help with a perfect ice make. First, you need a good rink with the right temps and humidity levels. This will help with the water to freeze quickly causing no flooding at the creases.

Know your Zamboni/Olympia ice resurfacing machine. Find that spot that helps you to overlap laps of ice with the lease amount of overlapping as possible. Usually you can find this spot on a newer machine by a crease on the top of the dump tank. If your resurfacing machine has no noticeable creases once you find your mark put a mark on it. This will help with training new employee's on the machine.

Maintenance is so important. To get those perfect ice cuts you need to keep the machine up-to-date. Change your blade monthly. If you keep your blade as long as possible even tho it is still sharp the rust will cause issues. Keep your resurfacer greased and check your hydraulic lines! If you ever get hydraulic fluid on the ice the clean up is horrible and causes a lot of downtime or unhappy customers. The very most important maintenance is keep your water lines, hot water, cold water tanks clean! The lime deposit will affect your water control.

Once you have everything down to this point how do you consistently put down the perfect ice? The biggest tip I can give you is practice but water control knowing how the water will react to the ice and the amount to put on will help you dearly.

Anyways, I hope this helps you and here is what I consider the top 3 traits.

1. Experience
2. Water Control
3. Maintenance of the Machine

I am an olympia driver, and have been for about 2 1/2 years now. i recently got a job offer to drive a ZAMBONI but I'm not sure if I know the differences between the 2 machines. are there any big differences that i should know before talking with the employer about the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Messier in Salt Lake City, Utah

49 months ago

Anyone can drive a Zamboni (moving the machine forward/backward). Please note that once the conditioner is lowered with the cutting blade in contact with the ice and the augers are engaged we become operators.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.