what qualifacations do you needed to be a zoo keeper?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

maddison wislow in Melbourne, Australia

81 months ago

what year can you start to become a zoo keeper,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Marinella in London, United Kingdom

78 months ago

maddison wislow in Melbourne, Australia said: what year can you start to become a zoo keeper,

You can only start to work as a zoo keeper at any zoo from the age of 18 in the Uk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

kayleigh in Cheshunt, United Kingdom

78 months ago

Marinella in London, United Kingdom said: You can only start to work as a zoo keeper at any zoo from the age of 18 in the Uk.

Thats not correct i was a full time zookeeper at the age of 16 and there are currently two trainee zoo keepers at my company also aged at 16 its not necessarily about age its about your personality and potential, start as a volunteer and try to prove yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

looplu in Kidderminster, United Kingdom

78 months ago

that answers that question but what qualifications do you need to be a zoo keeper i have nearly completed my dream to be one but im not sure if i can as i dont know what there looking for in my qulifercations..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha in Kenilworth, United Kingdom

76 months ago

Tell me to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

rachel in London, United Kingdom

75 months ago

i am a volunteer and would like to become trainee zoo keeper i'm 26 and i don't know how to get into a trainee programme or what qualifications i need

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie Neylan in Melbourne, Australia

73 months ago

What qualifications do i need to become a zoo keeper?
Would a certificate 3 in animal technology and a diploma in animal technology help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Eutheria in Saint Louis, Missouri

73 months ago

Most major zoos require a Bachelors of Science in some sort of animal-related field (biology, zoology, animal behavior, etc.) at the very least. Unfortunately even with such a degree, job openings are very difficult to find and secure, as the turnover rate is extremely low. Additionally making things difficult is the tendency for most zoos to hire from within, so expect to see little to no full-time position available to 'outsiders.' The best bet would be to secure an internship (if one is still in college), volunteer, or get a non-animal position at a zoo and wait until keeper opportunities open up; also, some zoos do hire seasonal keepers for the busy portion of the summer. The best advice is to be persistent and very patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Paddy donoge in Melbourne, Australia

62 months ago

Bonnie Neylan in Melbourne, Australia said: What qualifications do i need to become a zoo keeper?
Would a certificate 3 in animal technology and a diploma in animal technology help?

Animal Tecnolgy is reasearch a cert
III in captive Animals would be the go the go but you hav to currenlty employed as a zookeeper if you are not employed as a zookeeper i would advise you doing cert
II in Animal Studies at gordon tafe if you live in geelong or box hill tafe etc if you live in melbounre

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Paddy donoge in Melbourne, Australia

62 months ago

Eutheria in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Most major zoos require a Bachelors of Science in some sort of animal-related field (biology, zoology, animal behavior, etc.) at the very least. Unfortunately even with such a degree, job openings are very difficult to find and secure, as the turnover rate is extremely low. Additionally making things difficult is the tendency for most zoos to hire from within, so expect to see little to no full-time position available to 'outsiders.' The best bet would be to secure an internship (if one is still in college), volunteer, or get a non-animal position at a zoo and wait until keeper opportunities open up; also, some zoos do hire seasonal keepers for the busy portion of the summer. The best advice is to be persistent and very patient.

you ussaly just need to vounlteer and you will get a job out of that then undertake tranning whilst you are employed as a zookeeper or whatever
p.s you do need to a sci deegree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Moo Man in Billericay, United Kingdom

62 months ago

RAWWWR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Robot fixer in Billericay, United Kingdom

62 months ago

Awseome answer dude :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Moo Woman in Billericay, United Kingdom

62 months ago

Heyy Robot Fixer, are you single? :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Moo Woman in Billericay, United Kingdom

62 months ago

Robot fixer in Billericay, United Kingdom said: Yh and looking y r u??

Yes I happen to be single too.
Are you buff?
Can you send photos ova this thing??? ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Flare in Boone, North Carolina

49 months ago

To be a full time Zookeeper requires a lot of Schooling and a good deal of strength, but a lot of zoos have volunteer programs for high school students, not to mention summer camps for even younger kids that can get you a lot of experience working with animals. The age that you can start simply depends on the particular zoo you're hoping to work with. For more information, see if your zoo has a website. They usually contain contact information so you can learn when you can get started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Dayton, Ohio

49 months ago

Robot fixer in Billericay, United Kingdom said: Well I have Brown hair, blue eyes and I am 18
Oh nice 2 no u always up 4 it coz so am I ;p

THIS IS NOT A DATING WEBSITE YOU TWIT! GO TO YAHOO FOR THAT CRAP! People are trying to find jobs you morons!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

TurkeyVulture in Portland, Oregon

45 months ago

Well, thanks for that romantic interlude. WTF.

An education in any of the life sciences will NEVER HURT. But what really counts for finding a zoo keeping job is EXPERIENCE. Paid experience at accredited facilities will ALWAYS help you. The best thing a keeper hopeful can do is apply for internships and for seasonal work at zoos in the animal management department. Most zoos offer seasonal positions to help out their keepers during the busiest months (usually the summer). Look for postings on job web sites for positions such as "Temporary Keeper," "Seasonal Keeper," "Keeper Assistant," "Attendant," etc. Read the job descriptions carefully.

A resume that has lots of volunteer experience, work with animals outside a zoo setting (kennel, horse training barn, pet store, etc.) will help you get seasonal work at a zoo.

It usually takes anywhere from 1000 to 4000 hours of paid experience at an accredited zoo to land a full-time, permanent keeper position at a good zoo. Having an education in life sciences will definitely help and could cut the required paid hours of experience in half.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Here is a new article with info + good links to zoo keeping jobs and necessary qualifications :)

endangeredspecies.about.com/od/careerswildlifemanagement/a/Working-For-A-Zoo.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.