Contracting work in Mannheim Germany??????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

janetlynn039 in Avon, Indiana

74 months ago

Can anyone tell me anything about contracting A&P or sheetmetal work in Mannheim Germany???? I'm looking for anyone whos done it, and anything anyone can tell me about living in Germany. Hubby is thinking about taking a contracting job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

subterfuge138 in Killeen, Texas

73 months ago

Germany was my first duty station. I can honestly say, it was a good time. I alongside with some contractors from Mannheim while assigned to Kosovo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

janetlynn039@*****.*** in Avon, Indiana

73 months ago

Hey thanks subterfuge138. My hubby is going to be with dyn corp intl as a DoD contractor in Mannheim. I'm hoping to join him in a few months. I've got my passport coming :) I think the hardest thing will be finding off post housing with the language barrier. I'm studying my German, but have a lot to learn. Any ideas would be very helpful as far as local towns surrounding Mannheim. Yikes, Kosovo must have been rough! Talking with one of the contractors in Afghanistan the other day and he was being shelled.

Thanks,

Jan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kuiyu Slater in Jacksonville, Florida

73 months ago

janetlynn039 in Avon, Indiana said: Can anyone tell me anything about contracting A&P or sheetmetal work in Mannheim Germany???? I'm looking for anyone whos done it, and anything anyone can tell me about living in Germany. Hubby is thinking about taking a contracting job there.

This is my husband email rogers72bug@yahoo.com
My husband worked in Germany nearby Mannheim last four years. He's also applying this Mannheim. Very nice in Germany everywhere. You could write to my husband also your husband could write. He likes to talk about Germany...

janetlynn039@*****.*** in Avon, Indiana

73 months ago

Thanks so much for the email address. Are you still in Germany now? Hubby going at the end of this month. would love to know what life is like living in Germany, so anything you could tell us would be so very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nate in San Antonio, Texas

70 months ago

Just left there contracting for 2 years. The pay is $20.81 an hour with a per diem around $139 a day to max of $160 a day depending on how good the dollar is vs. the euro. Job is a great experience. Hours can be long when work is at its peak. Other then that its a 48hr work week with weekends off. Thats the normal. The constant threat of layoffs due to work being finished and to many workers is always there. Right now is a good time to get on if whoever has experience in Mod work in sheetmetal or avionics as that will be there for many years without the threat of layoff. They also need mechanics/sheetmetal/avionics for the reset program.
It was frustrating living in Germany due to the language barrier. They take advantage of us Americans there too. So watch out with renting apts and houses. The traveling is great because its pretty much the center of Europe.

janetlynn039 in Munich, Germany

70 months ago

Yeah, Germany is very different in many ways. Some good, some not so good, some just different. There is a language barrier of course. I have become functional is German, but have much to learn. I find it much easier than Spanish I studied in university. Wish I had know that then :) The food is great here and of such a higher quality...the fruits and veggies. Its amazing! Medical is much different here and takes some getting used to, especially with the language barrier. I carry 3 different German/English dictionaries with me where ever I go. The city might not be bad and easier to communicate, but we live in a smaller town outside Mannheim. I don't encounter many where speak English fluenty here. Everyone is very friendly, but it can be somewhat isolating. I've found a few other contractor wives here and that helps to make friends. We go on trips together and travel through the Army base. The USO sponsors trips to places like Paris and London etc and we take advantage of that and its a lot of fun! It is most definately an experience to sure!

nate in San Antonio, Texas said: Just left there contracting for 2 years. The pay is $20.81 an hour with a per diem around $139 a day to max of $160 a day depending on how good the dollar is vs. the euro. Job is a great experience. Hours can be long when work is at its peak. Other then that its a 48hr work week with weekends off. Thats the normal. The constant threat of layoffs due to work being finished and to many workers is always there. Right now is a good time to get on if whoever has experience in Mod work in sheetmetal or avionics as that will be there for many years without the threat of layoff. They also need mechanics/sheetmetal/avionics for the reset program.
It was frustrating living in Germany due to the language barrier. They take advantage of us Americans there too. So watch out with renting apts and houses. The traveling is great because its pretty much the center of Europe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

Kuiyu Slater in Jacksonville, Florida said: This is my husband email rogers72bug@yahoo.com
My husband worked in Germany nearby Mannheim last four years. He's also applying this Mannheim. Very nice in Germany everywhere. You could write to my husband also your husband could write. He likes to talk about Germany...

Hello I live in Jacksonville fl and i was offerd a job doing mods in germany with dyncorp I am taking my wife and daughter with me I am trying to find info on housing rentals and is the salary sufficiant to live there and maintian your home in the states

janetlynn039@*****.*** in Munich, Germany

68 months ago

Hi Ray, the company recently hired several hundred contractors in Mannheim. When is your start date? Email me at my email address janetlynn039@aol.com and I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you may have, but I'm wondering how old your daughter is? Is she going to need to be in school? It costs approximately $20,000 to put your kids in school here at the DoD school on the base, so most of the contractors are home schooling their kids here. I'll send you some literature on that and living in Germany. Also,most apartments or houses do not come equiped with a kitchen. I mean the room is there, there just aren't any cupboards, cabinettes, sink, or light fixtures. This seems to be standard in many rentals. They take the kitchen with them when they leave. Very odd! Just email my AOL acct with your questions and I'll send you what I have. Jan

janetlynn039@*****.*** in Munich, Germany

68 months ago

janetlynn039@aol.com in Munich, Germany said: Hi Ray, the company recently hired several hundred contractors in Mannheim. When is your start date? Email me at my email address janetlynn039@aol.com and I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you may have, but I'm wondering how old your daughter is? Is she going to need to be in school? It costs approximately $20,000 to put your kids in school here at the DoD school on the base, so most of the contractors are home schooling their kids here. I'll send you some literature on that and living in Germany. Also,most apartments or houses do not come equiped with a kitchen. I mean the room is there, there just aren't any cupboards, cabinettes, sink, or light fixtures. This seems to be standard in many rentals. They take the kitchen with them when they leave. Very odd! Just email my AOL acct with your questions and I'll send you what I have. Jan

I almost forgot....it you havent' already....i suggest getting an international drivers license...both you and your wife from the AAA before coming over. IT will make your life alot easier for driving while you're here. You can drive on an IDL for 6 months here. The German driver's manual and test is very difficult and lengthy. I believe its 100 questions and the driver's manual is approximately 100 pages also, so I highly recommend getting the IDL. It doesn't take long or cost much money and will make you're stress level much less to start out here.

Tanya in San Angelo, Texas

66 months ago

janetlynn039@aol.com in Munich, Germany said: Hi Ray, the company recently hired several hundred contractors in Mannheim. When is your start date? Email me at my email address janetlynn039@aol.com and I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you may have, but I'm wondering how old your daughter is? Is she going to need to be in school? It costs approximately $20,000 to put your kids in school here at the DoD school on the base, so most of the contractors are home schooling their kids here. I'll send you some literature on that and living in Germany. Also,most apartments or houses do not come equiped with a kitchen. I mean the room is there, there just aren't any cupboards, cabinettes, sink, or light fixtures. This seems to be standard in many rentals. They take the kitchen with them when they leave. Very odd! Just email my AOL acct with your questions and I'll send you what I have. Jan

do they have DynCorp in Munich also? because on your email address it says Munich.
I'm from Munich and would love to move back to Germany in a way, even though I like the states, but we are here in Dyncorp San Angelo, and it's to country for me. My husband is looking for a job over there he's an Avionic Technician/Electritan, but I guess we are a couple of month to late since they just hired so many people.

janetlynn039 in Germany

66 months ago

I do apologize, I am not in Munich. I'm actually in Mannheim Germany. I don't know why the profile says that. I've tried to change that several times, but it keeps going back to Munich. They are actually still hiring here in Mannheim. Yes, theyv'e hired at least 300 more contractors in the past 3 months and finding housing is a bit tough. Its a very tough assignment though here. If you want more info you'll have to email me at my janetlynn039@aol address. Just put "info on Germany" in the subject line. I will only put so much info on here. I do believe I've seen some job postings for jobs in Germany with a few other companies, but sorry none in Munich that I know of. Email me and we'll talk. Hubby is being paid in the USD and course we lose at least 30% in the conversion process. I've been on a quest to find him a job in Europe that pays in the Euro ;) so I've seen some postings here and there. Jan

rvsteve_10@*****.*** in Denver, Colorado

65 months ago

I have currently been offered a job with Dyncorp in Mannheim and I am wondering if any one has taken pets with them, and if they have had any problems renting with pets.

janetlynn039 in Heidelberg, Germany

65 months ago

We brought our cat with us to Mannheim. Yes, I think it makes it a little more difficult depending on what type of animal and size you have. If you have big dogs, its more than likely going to be more difficult for the main reason that there are mostly apartments here. Houses are very hard to find and expensive depending on where you're looking to find a rental. If you rent a house, don't take it for granted the back or front yard is yours to use. It does not work that way here in Germany. You must have it written in your rental agreement. I've had friends who have ended up renting houses and not being able to use the yard at ALL. If they had known that before they would not have rented there. Also, I strongly recommend you have it written into your lease that you're allowed to have a pet. We pay high security deposits here also....usually 2 to 3 months the rent = the deposit. Make sure its in your rental agreement, so your landlord doesn't change his mind and you wind up having to move losing all that money. Also, be advised that it is usual and customary to pay a real estate agent to find an apartment or house to rent here in Germany. They charge also 2 to 3 months the rent for their fee. We paid 1,000 Euro to the real estate agent in the Mannheim area. If you're not willing to pay, you're going to have quite a time finding a place to rent unless you know someone who knows of a place and they speak German. You should also know that the company has hired 500 contractors that have already come into the area and they are also looking for housing. So people are often having to look farther away from....I'm assuming you're going to be working at Coleman Barracks....we got lucky and we're 5 miles away from Coleman, but as I stated...we paid the real estate fee for so we could get a place within one month and a place close to work. I hope this helps. Also, keep in mind most place do not have kitchens. No appliances, cupboards, or countertop. thats more

janetlynn039 in Mannheim, Germany

65 months ago

I just wanted to add and make sure you know....The kitchens usually are just a room thats been totally skutted. You pretty much have to intall your own kitchen here in Germany. What I mean is that the kitchen room is there, but the last person who rented usually installs their own light fixtures, kitchen cupboards, countertops, sink, and appliances. If you find a place that already has a kitchen in place but it costs a little more than you wanted to pay per month...I strongly suggest you consider renting it. Also, make sure its in your rental agreement that the kitchen fixtures, appliances etc all stay put. Good luck with your search. I think it cost us about $3,000 just to get into our apartment. I hope this gives you an idea of the cost. I think we were here almost 4 months before we turned a profit due to the all of this expense. If you're a single guy...and you come alone with out a wife, kids, or pets...you won't need as much, but if you have any of the above it more than likely will. I should say that property is a premium here $$$ There just isn't much room or land so they build up. Its not unusual to find a house 3 stories where 3 different families live. One family per floor. You'll understand more once you get here. It will all make sense.

65 months ago

You should also be aware, especially if your bringing pets, that deployment is always a possiblity with this job, so I highly recommend you find someone who can help you care for your pets here...should this happen. If you have any more questions...you should email me at my email address janetlynn039@aol.com

I hope this all helps,

Bill D. in Springdale, Arkansas

63 months ago

I have been wanting a job there ever since I learned of it last year. I am told they will start hiring in the spring for helicopter mechs/sheetmetal. Does anyone have a point of contact with DynCorp/ Mannheim if a person was to hand carry their paperwork in. I will be there for vacation in April. If so, my email address is nwarotortech@gmail.com Thanks all.

Bill D. in Springdale, Arkansas

63 months ago

janetlynn039 in Mannheim, Germany said: You should also be aware, especially if your bringing pets, that deployment is always a possiblity with this job, so I highly recommend you find someone who can help you care for your pets here...should this happen. If you have any more questions...you should email me at my email address janetlynn039@aol.com

I hope this all helps,

I hope to be there on vacation in April. Do you by chance know of a point of contact there with Dyn/Corp Mannheim that I might deliver my resume ect. to? I understand that they will begin hiring again in the spring for helo mechs and sheetmetal.

janetlynn039 in Scranton, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Bill D. in Springdale, Arkansas said: I hope to be there on vacation in April. Do you by chance know of a point of contact there with Dyn/Corp Mannheim that I might deliver my resume ect. to? I understand that they will begin hiring again in the spring for helo mechs and sheetmetal.

Well, I'm afraid you'll have to go thru the traditional channels with the paperwork. The contract is on the military base. Its a secured area, so hand delivering your resume isn't something thats going to be possible. You should know the word is that there is going to be a lay off in April, and I do beleive the contract is up for possible renewal in June. Its not known if they will have the contract next year or if another company will. I'm sure they are still hiring, but bare in mind they will be laying off in April. If you're still interested let me know and I'll try to dig up a contact name/number for a recruiter with the company.

ryyvnn in Apo

61 months ago

janetlynn039@aol.com in Avon, Indiana said: Hey thanks subterfuge138. My hubby is going to be with dyn corp intl as a DoD contractor in Mannheim. I'm hoping to join him in a few months. I've got my passport coming :) I think the hardest thing will be finding off post housing with the language barrier. I'm studying my German, but have a lot to learn. Any ideas would be very helpful as far as local towns surrounding Mannheim. Yikes, Kosovo must have been rough! Talking with one of the contractors in Afghanistan the other day and he was being shelled.

Thanks,

Jan

Try Lampertheim. It is a small cosy little town a few miles from Coleman barracks and just a 10 minute train ride to the main train station in Mannheim.

61 months ago

Thanks ryyvnn, we actually are living in Lampertheim right now!!!! :) it is a lovely town and the people are very friendly. It does help if you speak German though. Hubby's contract is actually up, and he decided not to renew and we're coming back to the USA at the end of next month. We'll miss it here! Living in Europe is actually wonderful, but my husband is definately ready to move on to a new job. Hope you've been enjoying it here.

Jan

B. Scott in Ratingen, Germany

57 months ago

Hello,

my husband and I left Orlando, FL last year to come back to Germany ( I am German)as my job transferred me back. My husband is an A&P mechanic and has worked in Jamaica for 2 yrs ( that's where he is from ) and then in Florida for 5 years. He is very interested in applying for Mannheim with Dyncorp as we understand that's who they hire and he now speaks German pretty well too. Can anyone please let me know whom he would have to contact to find out if they are hiring and where/ how he could apply? We would very much appriciate everyone's help as his A&P license does not meet European standards for the airlines and he would have to get 2 additional licences. Please let me know if you know a recruiter for A&Ps in Mannheim. Thank you all so very much!!! Rgds, Britta

janetlynn039

57 months ago

Hi Britta, I have a Dyn Corp contact email. You can try this email address Heather.Coomer@dyn-intl.com I don't know if Dyn Corp still has the contract there in Mannheim anymore, but hopefully this email address I provided you can give you some information. Please be advised that it was a rough contract in that my husband loved Europe, but hated Dyn Corp. I hope this contact info helps. Good luck and God bless. Jan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

B. Scott in Ratingen, Germany

57 months ago

Thank you so very much, we will try it out!
Thanks for your info!
Greetings from Germany! Britta

Shawn in Corpus Christi, Texas

56 months ago

I am thinking of moving to Germany with Dyncorp like everyone else i am "X" military like most of you and I lived in Germany before for three years enjoyed it. But it was on the Army's dime so money was not so tight as now. I have a family but like most of you stated they would be at risk for me to bring so I am leaving them in the states. So I would like to live off around $2000 US a month for a (Single person) is that enough? Also I have a civil service job right now and I have dealt with contracting companies before (L-3, AECOM, Dyncorp, ect..) so I understand that you have no life another reason my family will be staying in the states. Like everyone else looks like Mannheim will be my place of employment.

Blackbear.org in Herat, Afghanistan

54 months ago

Dear sir,
From Black Bear construction company
Have kindly request for solicitation any (RFQ) or (RFP) Please help me
to register my company at your Vendor database, It will be appreciate
it, Our Company is one of the Known Company as a Construction, We Offer
you the best quality product at very exceptionally low price Because we
want to be you're favorite choice, Thank you I'm waiting for your
response with solicitation thanks again.

CECE in Salem, New Hampshire

53 months ago

janetlynn039 in Avon, Indiana said: Can anyone tell me anything about contracting A&P or sheetmetal work in Mannheim Germany???? I'm looking for anyone whos done it, and anything anyone can tell me about living in Germany. Hubby is thinking about taking a contracting job there.

my husband just came back from a contract position, it is a great place to work, i visited twice. I beg you don't let your husband go or stay there without you; first of all go with him, an affair it's something that hurts deeply, specially when you had a great marriage and the (women) in there will not take no for an anwser, i know for a fact and now i have to live with that pain. Other than that it is a great place to work, visit and be ready to find an apartment without a kitchen you have to buy everything, Ikea is a good place to start.

janetlynn039 in Brownsburg, Indiana

53 months ago

CECE yeah we were there for a year. Just got back at the end of May. It was a great experience!!!! I would love to go back!!!! I hear what you're saying about the cheating!!! I saw some of it...it can certainly turn your stomach, especially when the wives come over and you know whats up!!! Yeah the kitchen is a big deal and the light fixtures too!!! You have to put them in and take them out as well. There were alot of other things too, but I loved it so much there! The language barrier was a bit of a problem at first, but German is easy to pick up so I I learned it very fast and loved to take the train system into Mannheim :) God I miss it!!!!! I miss my friends!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.