Don't waste your money and time on Accounting Clerk Certificate.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

B.Smith in Dublin, Texas

72 months ago

Don't take the Accounting Clerk Certificate program....it will get you NADA!
The college makes it sound like you can just go straight to work after your courses....WRONG!
I decided to take some courses from a community college and get an Accounting Clerk Certificate, so I spent a year studying hard, hoping I could get some kind of job..but nothing.
Nobody wants to hire without at least 5 years experience.
It's a joke.
My opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Alameda, California

72 months ago

I was just looking at the program at the community college near me. I've been in the legal field for 27 years and want out. During that time, I've been an Office Manager, responsible for the firm AR/AP and client billing. Does that count as experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

B.Smith in Hamilton, Texas

72 months ago

Well, it's probably a good move for someone who has some experience behind them, and it sounds like you do, but if you just want a career change...it's a gamble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Alameda, California

72 months ago

That's what I thought. So many fields claim to have lots of jobs...it keeps the teachers employed.

Years ago, I wanted to go into nursing. Unfortunately, I'm too advanced in years now. There are still tons of jobs in nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

janice in Powder Springs, Georgia

68 months ago

Deborah James in Alameda, California said: That's what I thought. So many fields claim to have lots of jobs...it keeps the teachers employed.

Years ago, I wanted to go into nursing. Unfortunately, I'm too advanced in years now. There are still tons of jobs in nursing.

Deborah,

Yes, your experience in A/R, A/P and client billing does count. Just because you did not have the title does not mean that you did not do the work. If you were an Office Manager with accounting responsibilities, you could also apply for many Bookkeeper positions. Go through the jobs with Bookkeeper titles, you will be amazed at how much of these responsiblities you have already done. Although you may not qualify for a "Full-Charge Bookkeeper," you could easily apply to many of the so called entry level bookkeeping positions.

Also, when crafting your resume, put more of your accounting responsibilities on it instead of the legal or administrative responsibilities. In your case, it would be good to have legal, administrative , and accounting resumes. ( And if you also had Human Resources responsibilities within your capacity as Office Manager, craft a Human Resources resume as well.) Highlight and show employers how your experience matches to the job that they are advertising. You do not need to go into detail about all of your experience when apply to individual jobs.

You have a lot of good experience! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nizam in Hollywood, Florida

66 months ago

I took a Quickbooks course at a local technical college, but I don't believe I have what it takes to be an accounting clerk, (accounts payable or receivable)when I look at the job descriptions, let alone find a job as an accounting clerk. I did take an accounting class in high school and passed with a Grade 1 at CXC level....but I am still unsure of what to do. I am still on the path to discovering my true purpose for being on this planet at this time. Most of my time is spent pursuing some of my internet interests, and reading on self discovery and hopefully turning my interests into income....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Bend Oregon in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

I am currently unemployed like millions of others in this country. Unfortunately our state is now second in the nation for unemployment. In 2001 I was able to work as an accounts payable clerk for about four months and really liked the work. The only reason I was there for four months was because the company got bought out and they decided to move all of the accounting to another location. So we were told either find a job somewhere else within the company or get a job somewhere else in the community. I was lucky that I was able to transfer to another job within the company to stay employed. Now that I am unemployed because the company filed bankruptcy I have the opportunity to go back to school and get a degree in Accounting. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on getting through the schooling and what to do when I have completed it? I too have thought maybe just getting the certificate instead of the degree. Just wondering what anyone else would think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dayana in Mountain View, California

63 months ago

I worked for 7 years as a Church Administrator. Now, I am unemployed and taking courses towards an Accounting Clerk Certificate at Adult Education. The coursework is great and you really can learn a whole lot! Well, I prefer getting the Certificate because it's faster than working towards a degree. True, most employers do want potential employees to have some experience. But, there are also a lot of entry level positions out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pinkfusion in California

62 months ago

I have worked as an accounting clerk, then an office manager (AR, AP, Payroll), then an accounting clerk again over the last 10 years and it has been VERY difficult for me to find a job. I know MAS90 for DOS and Windows and Great Plains Dynamics. My last 5 years were in mortgage, so people think that if you don't have recent experience in accounting that you don't know it! Its a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pinkfusion in California

62 months ago

"over the last 10 years" should have read "for 10 years"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sadika in Suva, Fiji

52 months ago

the information was very usefull

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Olga in Belleville, Illinois

47 months ago

Don't know what is going on.
I graduated in December of 2009 with AAS in Accounting with GPA 4.0 and have an award " Outstanding Accounting Student of the Year"
Nobody needs a streight A's brilliant student!
I do have one year part-time experience doing bookkeeping and payroll at two tax firms with perfect referenses...nobody cares! what is wrong with this world????? I feel like I should just flash my diploma in a toilet. I do stupid cash office job at the retail store now and can't even get bank teller job!!!! that is ridiculous!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

47 months ago

Olga, dont feel that way about your diploma. Everyone is having a tuff time finding that "dream" job. Even ppl with degrees and experience. Just keep searching, and youll find something. Praise Him for letting you have a job with some income and experience while job searching cuz many job seekers have no employment.

Are flexible? Will you move if an opportunity arises? What are you looking for? Do you have a certain company in mind? Will you start at lower pay than you hoped for just to get your foot in the door?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

red_stilleto in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

It's same here. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, graduated Cum Laude & have worked as a Jr. Accountant for over 2 yrs in the Philippines before coming here to USA. I have been applying for nearly 2 yrs now, unfortunately still no luck. Now, I have no choice but to work temp as a bakery clerk at a retail store. I also went schooling & got my certificate as a CNA just in case I'll shift career into nursing later on but no one even bothers to hire because they said I don't have an experience. I don't know what else to do?, I'm so dissapointed right now. Just recently, I've been sending lots of applications online like what I have done before...still for my dream job as an Accountant. Hopefuly this time, God will hear my prayers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bishop79 in Dallas, Texas

41 months ago

I say, it's not what you know but who you know. That's how you get ahead, especially in the corporate world. It's all about kissing the right ass or being on someone's buddy list to get an opportunity. I've had an Accounting Clerk certificate for over a year now, and havn't been able to get any entry level positions. The job the I currently got laid off on didn't present an opportunity for me despite me telling them numerous time that I have a certificate. It all depends on who's doing the hiring and if they have a need for your services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

bishop79 in Dallas, Texas said: I say, it's not what you know but who you know. That's how you get ahead, especially in the corporate world. It's all about kissing the right ass or being on someone's buddy list to get an opportunity. I've had an Accounting Clerk certificate for over a year now, and havn't been able to get any entry level positions. The job the I currently got laid off on didn't present an opportunity for me despite me telling them numerous time that I have a certificate. It all depends on who's doing the hiring and if they have a need for your services.

Get to know ppl. Volunteer, go to luncheons. Sitting online applying to jobs is not going to help. Most of the jobs are already filled when they get to the job board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

red_stilleto in Chicago, Illinois said: It's same here. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, graduated Cum Laude & have worked as a Jr. Accountant for over 2 yrs in the Philippines before coming here to USA. I have been applying for nearly 2 yrs now, unfortunately still no luck. Now, I have no choice but to work temp as a bakery clerk at a retail store. I also went schooling & got my certificate as a CNA just in case I'll shift career into nursing later on but no one even bothers to hire because they said I don't have an experience. I don't know what else to do?, I'm so dissapointed right now. Just recently, I've been sending lots of applications online like what I have done before...still for my dream job as an Accountant. Hopefuly this time, God will hear my prayers.

He'll hear. Keep trying. A CNA is a good thing to have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MSA_Student_Georgtown_TX in Georgetown, Texas

36 months ago

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee said: Olga, dont feel that way about your diploma. Everyone is having a tuff time finding that "dream" job. Even ppl with degrees and experience. Just keep searching, and youll find something. Praise Him for letting you have a job with some income and experience while job searching cuz many job seekers have no employment.

Are flexible? Will you move if an opportunity arises? What are you looking for? Do you have a certain company in mind? Will you start at lower pay than you hoped for just to get your foot in the door?

I don't need a "dream job" I just need a job! I gave up a long time ago in finding a dream job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

MSA_Student_Georgtown_TX in Georgetown, Texas

36 months ago

I don't want a "dream job" just a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tamara Hughey in Austin, Texas

30 months ago

I've got all the training and the skills and experience thanks to my previous job to work as an accounting clerk, which is something I would love because I like working with numbers and everything. I'm detail oriented, proficient in QuickBooks and a problem solver. I just don't have the Associates or the Baschlor's degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Adi in Preston, United Kingdom

27 months ago

In todays changing time long degree courses won't help you. Go for short courses that are in demand. other wise you are just wasting your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Hopefully, I don't want to be thinking I'm wasting my time, because I just started online courses in January to earn my Associates in Accounting and as I'm doing it I can continue to look for work. I want have more than just those Certificates, ever since I got out of high school I have not stopped learning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

juanito in Lincoln, Nebraska

23 months ago

Dear readers,

I want to think i can get a job in the Accounting clerk certificate which i am working on it. I know it has being a hard time for United States to raise up employment but lets hope that we are studying for the dream job in the future. thanks for your guys time.

Sincerely,
Juanito

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tara Baird in Sacramento, California

22 months ago

I am in the same boat. I was doing entry level A/P and A/R and budgeting on a large scale at my former position. When I needed to quite and find a job closer to where I lived, I couldn't get work without the degree. So I went back to school and got my BS in Accounting in 2009. Couldn't get work due to the economy falling apart. Continued to get my Masters and look for work. No luck. Got my Master in 2011 and still can't get a break. I am either over qualified or under qualified so I feel unemployable. I'm losing hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

I have decided to continue my education because of my skills after working at National Check Loans for 6 1/2 years. I doing online classes to get my Associates degree in Accounting, if I get through with it I may continue for the Bachelors so I can take the CPA exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BDBSoCal in Rancho Cucamonga, California

21 months ago

It is a very difficult job market. Try not to take it too personally. It's not really who you know, it's who knows what you know. One good thing about training in Accounting is that it is quantitative, and not easy. There are many people working in accounting clerk type jobs who have no education in accounting at all - they get into those jobs transferring from another job. Those with some background often do a much better job. Having the certificate will get you the interview over someone without it. Even if you get a different job, make sure your new boss knows you studied accounting and remain interested. They may need someone to cover for an accounting clerk on vacation or something. It gives you a chance to get some experience. Every business needs people who can handle the money and paperwork precisely. Once they see you can do it, no matter what your job title is, they will remember you also have those skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BDBSoCal in Rancho Cucamonga, California

21 months ago

For those without any experience, do you volunteer anywhere? Many volunteer organizations are short-staffed in accounting. After you develop a relationship with people in the organization (e.g. by always showing up on time to volunteer and doing what you say you are going to do), let them know that you studied accounting and ask if they need any office help as a volunteer. It really, really helps in your interview if you can explain what you learned to do as a volunteer. That helps give the hiring manager some confidence that you won't mess up their books. That's why they're afraid of hiring anyone without experience. Any manager who's ever lived through an accounting mess doesn't want to take risks with accounting personnel decisions. You could even ask a small business for an unpaid internship to learn how to do it. That would give you a chance to gain some experience and show someone the quality of your work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

I was thinking as I'm persuing my degree. I ought to try and look for some Accounting intern positions so I can be getting the experience as I am going to school online.

BDBSoCal in Corona, California

21 months ago

It would be great to have an internship! One of the challenges in online accounting classes is that they give you the set of information you use to do your journal entries. In the real world, you just get invoices in the mail, and the invoice does not say if it is cost of goods sold, or marketing expense, or capital. You have to figure it out based on looking at the invoice and understanding what it is. This may require calling the vendor or checking internally to find out who in the company ordered it. That's what experience gets you that you won't get in your coursework.

Glovina@aol.com in Lafayette, Louisiana

18 months ago

bishop79 in Dallas, Texas said: I say, it's not what you know but who you know. That's how you get ahead, especially in the corporate world. It's all about kissing the right ass or being on someone's buddy list to get an opportunity. I've had an Accounting Clerk certificate for over a year now, and havn't been able to get any entry level positions. The job the I currently got laid off on didn't present an opportunity for me despite me telling them numerous time that I have a certificate. It all depends on who's doing the hiring and if they have a need for your services.

I feel you, I have a MBA and took some Accounting courses and still I can't find a good job. So I really believe it's who know to get a good job.

tjoceans in Denver, Colorado

12 months ago

People,listen, the world does not work the way the advertisers of colleges and employers would have you think. The economy here in the U.S. has suffered, we find out who the real Americans are, those who would give the coat off their back to help a fellow person. I often heard business owners complain that if Obama was in office and we received socialized health care it would be the worst for employers. They don't want to pay our health care. They don't want to take care of us. My understanding is that the more educated you are in an economy like ours has become, the more you will cost. Maybe it is a good sign, in that the idea that one needs a really expensive education to qualify for a job that cannot pay off the school loans. Maybe we will return to the basics of just providing jobs to people and training them as we go along. I am hoping to begin keeping books for a friend whose business is a transportation limo service. He needs the help and is a good enough friend. I won't be paid thousands, but I will learn and grow, and possibly begin my own business in tour operating and promoting. By then, I will be building from what I learned from bookkeeping and having a friend transport my clients to their destinations, like people working together, building together for the same goal. I have a degree. I don't bother looking for jobs in my degree. I found recently, if you add to your resume that you have experience in marketing, you will get calls 5x/day from employers who want you to sell their product. Now, I have removed it, because I have stated I need more training, they all promise they will provide it. I have had some want money from me first. Our economy makes us more corrupt. People say, we have to pay our bills, what can we do? People should try helping each other rather than trying to separate them from their money and lifeline. I loved getting my degree and I love education, but education costs are outrageous and in other countries it is free or close to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

tjoceans in Denver, Colorado

12 months ago

We have to stop falling for what the advertisers, bankers, educators, and everyone else keep telling us about how to make money, and begin from the ground up on building our own businesses. This is a market economy now. And let's not forget to pay people the correct amount, notwithstanding whether or not they have a degree, or what they look like, or how peppy and energetic they can be. What a joke! I want to spend my time learning about the arts and culture and spend more time with my family. This country is wealthy; wealthy enough for us all to be with our families.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

tuffbud in California

4 months ago

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee said: Olga, dont feel that way about your diploma. Everyone is having a tuff time finding that "dream" job.
Are [you] flexible? Will you move if an opportunity arises?

Marisole, please! I cannot speak for Olga, but I am not seeking a "dream job", I'd just want to work. I work as an admin assistant yet recently, hearing that they needed pot-washers in the kitchen at a hospital, I immediately went down to apply. Is how bad things have gotten. I was brusque turned away by the executive chef AND the kitchen manager because I "had no formal experience working in a kitchen" on my resume. As if washing a pot or learning health policies in the kitchen is difficult. Where is THEIR flexibility?

You like TOO MANY put ALL of the onus on the worker and leave the employer to do as they please in the employment process. Seems the ONLY thing employers do with casual ease is eliminate even more jobs. And the too-vocal Marisole of the world appear to feel that is perfectly OK.

tuffbud in California

4 months ago

Tamara Hughey in Austin, Texas said: I was thinking as I'm pursuing my degree. I ought to try and look for some Accounting intern positions so I can be getting the experience as I am going to school online.

WHY do you think you ought to give your skills away for FREE? And if you do, for HOW LONG?

Employers seem to become more and more audacious with their expectations of workers and worker-applicants. They may as well spell it out and make us sign indentured service agreements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tuffbud in California

4 months ago

red_stilleto in Chicago, Illinois said: I also went schooling & got my certificate as a CNA just in case I'll shift career into nursing later on but no one even bothers to hire because they said I don't have an experience.

Am shocked to hear this. ALWAYS a need for Nurse's Aides...ESPECIALLY in nursing homes. You can be sure the RNs and LVNs won't want to dirty their hands cleaning and maneuvering residents, washing the bodies of the recently-deceased, and all of the other toil and maintenance duties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.