How can I get an entry level accounting job? NEED HELP!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

James in Surrey, British Columbia

36 months ago

I am currently a level 4 CGA student, and thinking about obtaining CPA as well, once I get a job to finance myself.

To the point, I am so desperate to get a job in accounting field!

To enhance my qualification, I have been working without pay in a small accounting office for 6-7 months. After 6-7 months of experience, I am finally getting a few interviews. So far, no luck for me yet. Sadly some interviewers question me why I have been working without pay, looking at me like I am an idiot. I am just a determine individual who even quit well paid job in a laboratory to change my career in accounting. Another issue I have is time. Since I am working nearly full-time Mon-Thu, I have not much time to develop network or search for jobs.

Even more frustrating, how the employers nowadays expect entry/junior level person to have 2-3 years of experience. How can I have 2-3 years of experience when nobody is willing to provide me one.

I am trying to stay positive, but as time passes by, I am depressed and upset. Praying to God, Buddha, ancestors, etc, but they seem to be on vacation!

Can anyone advise me anything to get a first job in accounting? I will appreciate any comment or advise.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Fort Worth, Texas

31 months ago

Don't lose hope! I'm from Russia. In Russia students find job when they study. There is a secret: friends. Try to find friends in your professional field:) Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Kitchener, Ontario

28 months ago

This advice may seem counter-intuitive to the straight forward experience required by all designations CA/CGA/CMA/CPA(US-andQuebec) to become qualified: I was in similar position for 3 1/2 years looking and requesting work opportunities...the only way I managed to get my "foot in the door" was to start a local bookkeeping firm and bring those paying customers to a chartered accountant who could sign off on the work and act as my "boss/mentor"... ( I started the bookkeeping firm by canvasing, door-knocking, advertizing, and presenting at "how-to-register-and-start-your own-business" seminars at libraries and community centres)...the process of building up a client base and finding a willing a designated accountant that wanted my business and act as my mentor was pure agony. I worked 35 hours a week flipping hamburgers at night for 18 months, while canvasing during the day for clients until I could get anywhere...

You really need to sell yourself. Best of Luck!

Sam in Toronto,ON

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ProfessionalCourtesy in Houston, Texas

12 months ago

Sam in Kitchener, Ontario said: This advice may seem counter-intuitive to the straight forward experience required by all designations CA/CGA/CMA/ CPA (US-andQuebec) to become qualified: I was in similar position for 3 1/2 years looking and requesting work opportunities...the only way I managed to get my "foot in the door" was to start a local bookkeeping firm and bring those paying customers to a chartered accountant who could sign off on the work and act as my "boss/mentor"... ( I started the bookkeeping firm by canvasing, door-knocking, advertizing, and presenting at "how-to-register-and-start-your own- business " seminars at libraries and community centres)...the process of building up a client base and finding a willing a designated accountant that wanted my business and act as my mentor was pure agony. I worked 35 hours a week flipping hamburgers at night for 18 months, while canvasing during the day for clients until I could get anywhere...

You really need to sell yourself. Best of Luck!

Sam in Toronto,ON

Thats a very good idea. I live in houston and its hard to find entry level jobs even with 2 recruiting agencies working with you. Even with my bachelors degree i need atleast 2 years in every industry. How can a student get experience in all levels of accounting if not by atleast finishing a bachelors degree in accounting. This would mean I would have to pick an industry while I was in school and limit myself to that field such as medical, oil and gas, construction. I will give this idea to a CPA I know and I have an entrepreneurship spirit and Im a good salesman I know I can get a lot of business. I'll try it and let yall know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

12 months ago

Most accountants get job offers from recruiters while finishing college or from places where they interned as students. Obtaining a CPA license is a definite advantage. You probably need some additional college courses to meet the CPA education requirements. That's an advantage because of the exposure you will have to campus recruiters. Internships are a huge path to getting a permanent job offer later.

If you don't care about going through the grind of becoming a CPA and working in public accounting for your experience requirements, small local accounting practices hire staff accountants who are not CPAs. These firms have difficulty finding qualified people. The pay is good, but of course not the level of experienced CPAs. These local practices focus on tax but also handle bookkeeping projects. The will hire people with no experience who have proven tax knowledge from passing the Enrolled Agent exam.

Take a look at the affordable courses at fastforwardacademy.com/index-page-free_trial_embed.htm. This site has online courses for both the Enrolled Agent exam and the CPA exam. You can even sign up for free access to sample exam questions. That could help you decide between working as a staff accountant with a tax focus or becoming a CPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bloodworthstacy in Santa Barbara, California

10 months ago

I graduated in 2008 and never found an accounting position. I couldn't even get a position as a clerk or even work for fee. The biggest thing you need is networking.. many of work a lot and may not get the GPA needed to be hired by a firm out of college. You need to sell yourself to potential employers. The government is another great opportunity.. you can test and if you score high enough you could get a job. You need to scout around finding local accounting firms and basically sell yourself honestly.. and eventually, especially during tax season you can find some work and start there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex Matuta in Cape Town, South Africa

7 months ago

I am also in the same situation more over I am not a SA by birth but I have done my studies here with an international institution (ICB).Honestly its very hard for me and very frustrating on how I may gain experience. So far I have just complete a contract of 4 months which I got from a maternity leave lady, on a position of debtors and creditors clerk.I am always trying to sell myself,(i.e.) agencies etc.

Please give me advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

xiuyang98@gmail.com in Toronto, Ontario

2 months ago

I am very hard to find accounting job with accounting diploma.
Please offer opportunity to me with just volunteer experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.