What do you enjoy most about your activities director career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being an activities director? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Media, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being an activities director? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I love seeing people happy. I love knowing I've made a difference in someones life and that means the world to me. Its whats God has called us all to do anyhow. To see Him in everyone we meet and I try and be a good example. Its challenging sometimes when I see neglected residents and know that even if I say something, which I do, it may not improve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Suffolk, Virginia

82 months ago

I love my job! I am activities director for a timeshare resort. I help make everyones stay for the week more enjoyable, with out having to go anywhere off property. i also give families other ideas on what to do while they are visiting our town. I have so much fun I wish I didn't have to go home!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Hillsborough, North Carolina

82 months ago

I really love working with people. Presently I'm in a different position within the company I work for (marketing on weekends) so am not nearly as "hands on" as I'd been as the Activity Director. I was forced to leave for personal reasons and couldn't return full time in that position but fully loved the job more than any I'd ever had ...much of that because we have an incredibly great ED who made work a wonderful experience (he's a great leader and always very supportive and positive in his attitude)
If you work with good people who share your values, love the people who they are serving and want to make an experience Of "transition" (from life to death) as painless and postive as humanly possible..if you are free to share your faith and love freely with the people you are serving...being an activity director is a rewarding job. If you can work well with people from different religious and social backgrounds and find common ground within the greater community it's also a wonderful opportunity to bring in volunteers from many different walks of life who are eager and willing to serve.
The School system is a good place to start ...contact teachers, directors of the baccalaureate programs, ask for student volunteers who want training or references for future jobs...it's just great to be in a position where we can bring whole communities together for the sake of serving the people who need us most now. Nearly all of them once served their own elderly parents, grandparents, especially their children and deserve the very best we have to offer them as the most lasting reward we all receive while doing good for others outside of ourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara from Stony Brook in Port Jefferson Station, New York

75 months ago

Erin in Media, Pennsylvania said: I love seeing people happy. I love knowing I've made a difference in someones life and that means the world to me. Its whats God has called us all to do anyhow. To see Him in everyone we meet and I try and be a good example. Its challenging sometimes when I see neglected residents and know that even if I say something, which I do, it may not improve.

Thanks for this comment. You said everything I have been thinking with regard to a career move. I'm in advetising and marketing and at a point in my life where my job does not match my value system. I want so much to work at a career where I bring meaning and joy to other people. I love people and feel God has given me a gift of encouragement that I must share. I learned recently that just because you are good at something, a job, let's say, it does not mean it is best suited for you. I am now debating a new career that will allow me to work each day with passion and meaning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bethtopaz in Woodland, California

69 months ago

Barbara from Stony Brook in Port Jefferson Station, New York said: Thanks for this comment. You said everything I have been thinking with regard to a career move. I'm in advetising and marketing and at a point in my life where my job does not match my value system. I want so much to work at a career where I bring meaning and joy to other people. I love people and feel God has given me a gift of encouragement that I must share. I learned recently that just because you are good at something, a job, let's say, it does not mean it is best suited for you. I am now debating a new career that will allow me to work each day with passion and meaning.

**************** I can really relate to your comment. You need to get the book, "Please Understand Me" and take the personality test. I am an ENFP and the basic personality -- the NF -- is someone whose most important qualities are the need to be authentic and the need to have meaning in life.

I have been in sales jobs before, but I just don't have the "killer instinct" to make money. I love being with the Seniors at the Independent/Assisted Living facility where I work and that is why I decided to become an Activities Director.
As long as I have enough money to support myself, I am happy to do something that is fulfilling, meaningful and makes a difference in peoples' lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

kenneth pinckney in Chula Vista, California

13 months ago

Barbara from Stony Brook in Port Jefferson Station, New York said: Thanks for this comment. You said everything I have been thinking with regard to a career move. I'm in advetising and marketing and at a point in my life where my job does not match my value system. I want so much to work at a career where I bring meaning and joy to other people. I love people and feel God has given me a gift of encouragement that I must share. I learned recently that just because you are good at something, a job, let's say, it does not mean it is best suited for you. I am now debating a new career that will allow me to work each day with passion and meaning.

Right now I am in the same boat. 37 years old man, trying to find the right career path. Was let go of my job just recently. I am looking for a career that I can help people, to encourage them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kenneth pinckney in Chula Vista, California

13 months ago

Right now I am in the same boat. 37 years old man, trying to find the right career path. Was let go of my job just recently. I am looking for a career that I can help people, to encourage them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.