Adjunct Nursing Faculty Online

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

M. J. in Brooklyn, New York

102 months ago

I am having difficulties in finding Adjunct Faculty to teach Nursing online. I was advised to go on the net for the search which I have started 3 months prior completing my program and still not a job offer. In your opinions what other avenues can I use? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Marie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Logan, Utah

102 months ago

I am a bit confused by your post. You said "I am having difficulties in finding Adjunct Faculty to teach Nursing online:. This makes me think you want to find faculty to hire.

Then you said "I was advised to go on the net for the search which I have started 3 months prior completing my program and still not a job offer. In your opinions what other avenues can I use? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated."

So, my quetion is, are you trying to hire or be hired?

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Needmore, Pennsylvania

99 months ago

I am looking for an online faculty position in nursing. I have over 20yrs in classroom and clinical teaching and want to transition to online. I have a Ph.D in nursing. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

GRHVRN in Grand Rapids, Michigan

91 months ago

I also have my MSN from UOP (over 2 years ago)and would like to teach on-line, but UOP has no positions. I thought that they would hire me, since I have experience with their on-line programs, but they now want you to have a PhD. I've been looking for quite some time now, and have found nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ctfant in Needmore, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

Where have you looked? Check with all the schools that have online courses. I have a Ph.D in nursing and have taught in the classroom for many years. But my stumbling block has been no online teaching experience. If you live near a nursing program that teaches in the classroom plus online, try to get a job with that institution and then try to move to the online arena. The nursing programs need faculty, so you may have to just start in the classroom and then move over. Also if you really want to teach the Ph.D is very important especially in the larger institutions. So think about doing that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Decatur, Georgia

87 months ago

Your resume must reflect that you are still currently practicing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Me in Decatur, Georgia

87 months ago

Devry, Kaplan, University of Phoenix

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marsha in Greenville, South Carolina

76 months ago

I plan to graduate in May with my MSN in nursing education, but also have 25 years experience as a clinical educator, am very experienced in WebCT and Blackboard, but have found it next to impossible to find an online position, even a part-time or a temporary spot. I would suggest that if you have the time and finances to pursue the DNP or PHD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JRHammRN in Munford, Tennessee

69 months ago

Check out higher ed holdings. They will find u somewhere to work.
I live in TN. Higher Ed got me an online position at U of Tx Arlington.
They will find somewhere for you to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JRHammRN in Munford, Tennessee

69 months ago

Just an FYI ... online faculty spend MUCH time facilitating a course.
The pay is definitely NOT worth the time you spend.
I made 18$ per student! And people wonder why universities do not have instructors!
Good luck with your search.
I have sum contact info for higher ed holdings if you cannot google it. Just let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melisa in Land O Lakes, Florida

69 months ago

Cara Gonzalez in Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania said: Cathy I am sorry you are having so much trouble. I recently graduated from U of Phoenix with a MSN Ed. I also would like to teach online. I have been a nurse for 30 years. I am sending out my resume to anyone and everyone. I am not sure what else to do. I wish you much luck. I will check back periodically and if I find something I will forward it. Cara

I am in the same boat. I have a Master's in Nursing education and would like to teach from home due to my family. I have been looking for about 6 months now for online positions.

jess in Wake Forest, North Carolina

68 months ago

JRHammRN in Munford, Tennessee said: Just an FYI ... online faculty spend MUCH time facilitating a course.
The pay is definitely NOT worth the time you spend.
I made 18$ per student! And people wonder why universities do not have instructors!
Good luck with your search.
I have sum contact info for higher ed holdings if you cannot google it. Just let me know.

I would like the contact for higher ed holdings- can't find them on google

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Escanaba, Michigan

66 months ago

I have just started to look for an on line teaching job in nursing, and this site is discouraging. If you cannot find on line teaching even with a PhD, what is there for us lowly MSN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Honolulu, Hawaii

65 months ago

Good luck finding an online instructor position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Nurse in Escanaba, Michigan said: I have just started to look for an on line teaching job in nursing, and this site is discouraging. If you cannot find on line teaching even with a PhD, what is there for us lowly MSN?

Iam with you, why spend the time and money to complete a degree that isn't going to get you the job you've dreamed of. Extremely discouraged!!

legalbulldog in Spring Hill, Florida

63 months ago

Nurse in Escanaba, Michigan said: I have just started to look for an on line teaching job in nursing, and this site is discouraging. If you cannot find on line teaching even with a PhD, what is there for us lowly MSN?

The military always needs medical staff. I have a friend that was in her early 40's. She had her MSN and went into the Air Force as a Captain. Officer pay is good, and to be accelerated to an O-3 is even better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

legalbulldog in Spring Hill, Florida

63 months ago

I forgot to add that my friend was teaching an LPN and RN courses at a local college before she went into the Air Force.

fbooker in Hollywood, Florida

63 months ago

I am also looking to teach nursing on line, I completed my MSN in 2007 with the hope that I leave the bedside care. I have not gotten any thing yet, still at the same job, please any ideas.

Star in Garland, Texas

62 months ago

I completed my MSN in 2010, I haven't had any luck either finding an online position. And yes the pay is low. Actually I haven't had any luck finding a position with my MSN, because it is a generic not with education specialty or NP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Star in Garland, Texas said: I completed my MSN in 2010, I haven't had any luck either finding an online position. And yes the pay is low. Actually I haven't had any luck finding a position with my MSN, because it is a generic not with education specialty or NP.

What a sad state of affairs, isn't it. Seems like the general consensus is that without being a NP, or having a PhD, the options are really limited, especially with an online position. Has anyone had any luck? Also, does anyone have the link to Higher Ed Holdings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard Kinsley II in Londonderry, New Hampshire

61 months ago

M. J. in Brooklyn, New York said: I am having difficulties in finding Adjunct Faculty to teach Nursing online. I was advised to go on the net for the search which I have started 3 months prior completing my program and still not a job offer. In your opinions what other avenues can I use? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Marie

I am searching for an online teaching position. Please get in touch with me, my name is "R . Kinsley . RN BSN. Im at gmail all the time.
I have a:
AD in Health Professions Education
BS in Nursing RN-BC
MA in Forensic, Clinical and Counseling Psychology CLNC, LMHC
MeD in Education (MTEL approved)
CURRENTLY enrolled in DNP specialization as FNP, PMH and APHN

Janice in Idaho in Idaho Falls, Idaho

60 months ago

I graduated from my MSN program in 2010. I have been looking for a teaching job for a year now with no luck. I did get a interview from a local college to teach on campus but would have to take a $30,000 a year cut in pay. With student loans this is just not possible. I wanted to get a online job so I could keep my present job and pay off my loans quickly so I could consider taking a lower paying job later on. I have to work extra shifts at my regular job to pay on my loans. This has not worked out for me. What good is it to have a MSN if you can't do anything with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seth RN (soon 2 b ARNP-FPMH) in Londonderry, New Hampshire

60 months ago

I feel for ya... I am running through interference myself. Online jobs in teaching are very hard to come by. I know of a LPN school that is looking for MSN Nursing Ed... But it is located in New Hampshire, and it would be a poo poo commute each morning. But, if you where able to relocate, I think they are hiring educators at approx $40 per hour
If your interested, let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Oh, wait... Almost forgot, did you try a CC, AD RN programs? You might wanna look at the LPN programs. I have great credentials and experience, and I think I may like teaching someday, so I took a look around, the job market is not as open as the general public is being lead to believe (you,Janice are proof.) I have also found that getting into an institution is VERY hard and they do not make it easy. Being a psych nurse, I think the long wait to hear from them is faculty mulling you over as a future co-worker (in my BSN, there was a teacher who was 88.
Seriously, go to your board of registration in nursing website and print out a list of the board approved LPN programs. I know its not RN program, but, your presence will likely push students to continue education after graduation (honestly, I think we should have two positions: RN BSN and CNA, If it where up to me, I would push to enact some sort of bill or something that would put the LPN programs on notice, they XXX amount of time to transition to RN or CNA. I work with a diploma RN who is fabulous, another RN with an AD- fabulous, several bsn and they are good, but not like the diploma or AD, then we have several grandfathered in LPN's that require our hand-holding (ridiculous) honestly, the seasoned LPNs I have worked with have been excellent, and less bitchy to. I guess LPNs could have a place, like restriction to long-term care only? lpn programs are popping up all over the place, you may have one at the local high school, mine does..I was astonished by the number of LPN programs we have in NH, it is somewhere in the range of 14.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

btw, I was an LPN for two years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Idaho in Idaho Falls, Idaho

60 months ago

That is part of my problem. I can't move right now, My husband runs a business here and we both have elderly parents in this area. That is why I thought the online teaching would be good for me. Thanks for the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Janice in Idaho in Idaho Falls, Idaho said: That is part of my problem. I can't move right now, My husband runs a business here and we both have elderly parents in this area. That is why I thought the online teaching would be good for me. Thanks for the input.

I was referencing the LPN schools, did you check them out too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie, RN MSN in Fulton, New York

59 months ago

I finished my Master's in Nursing Ed from UOP in May, 2010. It literally took me 8 months to find any type of teaching job, and that was at a LPN program doing clinicals 2 days a week. I have subbed in the classroom to start to gain the experience. I've since been hired for adjunct faculty at a CC just recently. I never thought I would have that much difficulty finding something, seeing as everyone always says there's such a shortage in faculty! I really thought I would've landed a full-time job somewhere by now, but no such luck! And it's looking like it'll probably be at least another year or so before I might seriously be considered for something full-time! It's very discouraging and frustrating to say the least...especially since I have a LOT out in student loans for my degree!! I'm seriously now considering going for my PhD because I've been told that the CC I just got hired at has to take someone with a higher degree before other people, even if they really liked them! I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this...I was starting to think it was something I was doing wrong!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KTP Nursing in Palmerton, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

Currently - Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions is looking for part time faculty to teach their NCLEX-RN Review course. This is a part time position during the busiest seasons - January, May, June, August, September. All instructors must start out in the traditional classroom. If you are looking to gain teaching experience while helping students succeed on the NCLEX, please apply. You can visit www.kaptest.com/Teach-for-Kaplan/Home/index.html for more information and to apply today!

lmangles in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

55 months ago

M. J. in Brooklyn, New York said: I am having difficulties in finding Adjunct Faculty to teach Nursing online. I was advised to go on the net for the search which I have started 3 months prior completing my program and still not a job offer. In your opinions what other avenues can I use? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Marie

I am a masters and doctorally prepared nurse educator who would LOVE to teach nursing online. {Please feel free to email me, and I will send my CV, references,etc)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Oceanside, California

55 months ago

Wow, reading this is making me nervous. I complete my MSN in June and like everyone else, I am interested in finding an online teachin position. Currently, I am a clinical instructor for a LPN program and I am grateful for the teaching experience. Does anyone know if getting a post masters online teaching certification helps in landing a online position? It is more school & of course more money - but if it is worth while I would be willing to do it.

Tina in Redding, California

55 months ago

lmangles in Rhinelander, Wisconsin said: I am a masters and doctorally prepared nurse educator who would LOVE to teach nursing online. {Please feel free to email me, and I will send my CV, references,etc)

There are numerous online programs that would be willing to hire you if you have teaching experience especially with your PhD.Be sure when writing your resume that you are clear that you have teaching experience even if it is not in the online enviroment.I have been teaching for Kaplan U for 5 years and love it but it is only as an adjunct.I had 5 years of experience teaching in an brick & Mortar and was blessed to fall into the online job after completing my MSN.I am currently enrolled in a DNP program as more and more jobs which are full time in the online arena require a PhD or DNP.There are some adjunct positions now in the MSN program and BSN program at Kaplan currently, as well as a clinical coordinator position which is full time. I am still working in acute care and hope to take the first full time position available.They are an AWESOME organization to work for.

55 months ago

lmangles in Rhinelander, Wisconsin said: I am a masters and doctorally prepared nurse educator who would LOVE to teach nursing online. {Please feel free to email me, and I will send my CV, references,etc)

There are numerous online programs that would be willing to hire you if you have teaching experience especially with your PhD.Be sure when writing your resume that you are clear that you have teaching experience even if it is not in the online enviroment.I have been teaching for Kaplan U for 5 years and love it but it is only as an adjunct.I had 5 years of experience teaching in an brick & Mortar and was blessed to fall into the online job after completing my MSN.I am currently enrolled in a DNP program as more and more jobs which are full time in the online arena require a PhD or DNP.There are some adjunct positions now in the MSN program and BSN program at Kaplan currently, as well as a clinical coordinator position which is full time. I am still working in acute care and hope to take the first full time position available.They are an AWESOME organization to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

With Kaplan, are you working completely remote from home?

55 months ago

Melisa in Land O Lakes, Florida said: With Kaplan, are you working completely remote from home?

Yes

55 months ago

Richard Kinsley II in Londonderry, New Hampshire said: I am searching for an online teaching position. Please get in touch with me, my name is "R . Kinsley . RN BSN. Im at gmail all the time.
I have a:
AD in Health Professions Education
BS in Nursing RN-BC
MA in Forensic, Clinical and Counseling Psychology CLNC, LMHC
MeD in Education (MTEL approved)
CURRENTLY enrolled in DNP specialization as FNP, PMH and APHN

You will need a MSN in nursing to get an online teaching job

Michelle in Sarasota, Florida

53 months ago

There is nothing for us MSN in education online instructors. Have to go back and get a PhD or DNP

Michelle in Sarasota, Florida

53 months ago

I just relocated to Sarasota and have applied online to 2 University's for clinical instructor. They were advertised and still are. I can not get anyone to respond??

Jodi MSN in Boise, Idaho

53 months ago

I will be completing a PhD in Nursing education this year (2012). The online nursing faculty postion opportunity appears bleak

Coleen Elmers in Spokane, Washington

53 months ago

Jodi MSN in Boise, Idaho said: I will be completing a PhD in Nursing education this year (2012). The online nursing faculty postion opportunity appears bleak

Hi Jodi,

I would start now updating your CV and resume. Have you taught or taken online classes? I would make sure to highlight that in your documents. Make sure any skills in e-learning and technology are prominent on your CV/resume. Don't get discouraged, it takes time to get your foot in the door at first. Join the many adjunct faculty LinkedIn groups to create your network and apply, apply, apply. Coleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donnajeaneno@*****.***

49 months ago

I have MSN in Nursing Education (2006) and just finished a MEd in Post Secondary and Adult Education. I have taught clinical and classroom AD students and LPN students. Unfortunately I am also partially disabled so clinical teaching is now quite difficult. I would love to find an online teaching position as I am an eager to work and would love to be financially independent again. Any advice how I can get back into teaching- my last job ended in December 2009. Thanks. I can be reached at donnajeaneno@yahoo.com

ecor in Marietta, Georgia

48 months ago

I was able t find a position and I am still in the program. the University I teach for had to apply to the state so i could have special permission. i think it depends where you got your degree there are a lot of Online MSN programs that do not have a verygood reputation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JL2010 in Dallas, Texas

47 months ago

There is this company that hires Academic Coaches for Nursing Programs. It's a great way to break into online education. It's not a faculty position, but more of a facilitator in online nursing courses working for a faculty. They only required a min. of MSN, because the work with alot of RN to BSN programs. The company is Instructional Connections. I know several people that have worked for them 6 months, got the online experience then was able to get an Adjunct position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

goldies57 in Lavalette, West Virginia

43 months ago

fbooker in Hollywood, Florida said: I am also looking to teach nursing on line, I completed my MSN in 2007 with the hope that I leave the bedside care. I have not gotten any thing yet, still at the same job, please any ideas.

I graduated with my MSN in 2010 and also remain at the bedside. I was offered a temporary teaching position making $20,000 less per year. It embarrassing! I honestly don't mind the pay cut but find a temporary position difficult to accept so I declined the position. I have student loans for more than they offered me.

goldies57 in Lavalette, West Virginia

43 months ago

JL2010 in Dallas, Texas said: There is this company that hires Academic Coaches for Nursing Programs. It's a great way to break into online education . It's not a faculty position, but more of a facilitator in online nursing courses working for a faculty. They only required a min. of MSN, because the work with alot of RN to BSN programs. The company is Instructional Connections. I know several people that have worked for them 6 months, got the online experience then was able to get an Adjunct position.

I completed all the necessary prerequisites to coach onljne and have never heard from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jt2013 in Allentown, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

I worked for Academic Connections for a couple of months. I personally found my mentor extremely rude and when you asked questions, it was very evident that she didn't want to help. The amount of work was not worth the pay ($18/student). You got around 20 students. I am in the same boat as many of you. I got my MSN from UOP in 2011 and still unable to find an online nursing faculty position. Very disheartening. Please let me know if any schools are hiring. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dnpnurse in Littleton, Colorado

9 months ago

Hi!

I recently graduated from a DNP program, Regis University here in Denver CO.
I have a Master's in Public Administration, and a Bachelor's degree in nursing.
I am a Certified wound, ostomy and continence nurse.
I did a bridge because I was doing a PhD in nursing. So I did a nursing statistics class and a master's level class on nursing theories. Both those are MSN classes.
I had one year of PhD nursing and hence I got in the DNP program.
What I find surprising as I was looking for adjunct faculty in nursing positions is that most schools require a MSN. Even with a DNP, they are not accepting this. I wanted to teach classes related to leadership as the MPA was heavy on policy, organization, leadership.

I do not understand how we nurses can address the nurse faculty shortage if we are putting barriers on qualified RNs with a doctorate who are very capable of teaching.
Education in the United States is not cheap and for me to go back to school to obtain a MSN when I already have a doctorate seems impractical and quite frankly not helpful to me, to the nursing community, to the population that we nurses vowed to serve.

Why is the nursing profession doing this? It seems very unproductive.

Thank you!

DNP, RN, BSN, MPA, CWOCN

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.