Flower etiquette

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

nina in Boston, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Is there a flower etiquette rule regarding when flowers can be taken from the main lobby of the building at the end of the week? We alternate between colleagues for the office arrangement, but I've noticed that the main arrangement in the building that houses several other offices have been picked at before the end of the day on Friday...would it be bad if I "picked" at it as well at the end of the business day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia

86 months ago

I would ask the person who has made arrangements for ordering the flowers. An office manager perhaps? I would not be part of the "picking crew" unless I was told specifically to help myself and then I would do it neatly. Take some flowers and then rearrange the ones left in the vase. Someone must be in charge of throwing them out at weeks end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Thanks Patricia,

I've emailed the building manager and she said she would inquire about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Trenton, New Jersey

85 months ago

Yes, absolutely ask! I order and arrange the flowers for our lobby. The flowers just end up getting dumped so I'd rather see someone go home with them. (I do take my share!)
By the way, I've had the best luck using BloomsByTheBox.com as our flower vendor. We switched to them recently and the quality of the flowers is incredible compared to our old vendor (a local florist that gave us a volume discount).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Charlotte, North Carolina

85 months ago

It is my opinion that whoever pays for the flowers needs to decide whether to share with others or not. I am all in agreement that flowers should be shared after their time limit in the office. However, some exec's are offended if the flowers are "given away".
I have been the recipient of some of those arrangements. Some of the branches were shared, rooted, and became another long lasting arrangement.
PS: Those "pickers" - should be ashamed of themselves. That is just plain rude and disrespectful.

85 months ago

Hi, the flowers are already pre-arranged and it turns out that even the EVP encourages us to bring them home, though I'm not sure what she thinks of the mess that people leave behind.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.