Laid Off and then found work -inspiration for other's

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Laid Off in ct in Norwalk, Connecticut

33 months ago

I was laid of in 5/09 from a major corp. admin. job where I made good money, about 70K most years. When I lost my job I started looking immediately, and upgraded my skills for free by using on-line videos for free. Some of the time, I had no computer *due to finances and had to use the library. In 2009 I did a temp job at a major Ivy University. It was a terrible commute, and terrible boss. Then I went back to the same place in another area and was there for 3 mos. driving 45 mins. each way in bad weather. I was able to get contract jobs for most of 2010 expect 3 week or so. I demanded higher pay and did get a comparable rate on all of the 4 jobs I took. Finally at the end of 2010, I was hired for a job on a perm. level. I had been on 68 interviews all over from 2009 to 2010. I am still at the perm job but my boss was let go, and I am still there and the company is having issues. Although it's a large company. I am hanging in as they hired a replacement for my boss, but have now dumped a load of work on me from all the people who were laid off. but, still grateful to have a job at this point. But, it took a lot of work, upgrading of skills, going on any and all interviews. I am a single homeowner and most of my salary is going to my mortgage but I am ok. I have many friends who can't get perm work but I have been able to help a few get jobs since I made so many connections during my own search. I know how hard it is out there. Keep looking is my advice, and even if you have a job, keep looking as companies are still laying off from what i've been observing. There is hope if you keep trying and reinvent yourself. I used the library to get good cover letters out of books and learning any software I could. It all helped. Some of the agencies have computer labs you can use to improve training. I've been posting here since I lost my job and this is my latest update for 2012.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kuscudd

32 months ago

I just got laid off and am interested in starting a new career as an administrative assistant. My previous job was data entry operator. Do you have any suggestion of what I should do to be able to get an entry level job for this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AdminTemptooLong in Boston, Massachusetts

32 months ago

I would not encourage you to go into administrative assistant/administrative suppport work, as these jobs are disappearing, and will be even less available as more people do their own documents through voice recognition.

If you're successful at Data Entry, you're probably fast on the keyboard. Would you enjoy computer coding, graphics design, medical coding or records administration? These might be areas to get skills in. If you're on unemployment, you may be eligible for Section 30 training. Be careful though, a lot of these programs just want your money--whether they're for-profit or nonprofit. Check the placement rates, and ask which portion of placements are part-time or temporary jobs. They use these, as the government does, (regardless of political party) to inflate the number of job seekers who are "employed," and deflate the actual "unemployed/underemployed"-underpaid temp and part-timers numbers, to come up with a lower unemployment rate.

I don't know how it works in other states, but Mass has a "bait and switch" training eligibility system in my opinion. Because you are eligible for Section 30 Training, for example, the funding is separate. The former is available when you have an eligible UI claim; the latter (funding) is available "once in a lifetime." So, unless you're wealthy enough to afford thousands of dollars to pay for training yourself, you can never avail yourself of training outside the library, if you are UE > 1x. A longer, classroom experience is a better, more thorough path to real expertise before you get to use it on the job.

Try to get a college degree, and apply for grants and loans if you qualify for funding and don't have the money yourself. If you live in Boston, stay there. There are more training programs available to Boston residents vs. someone who lives just outside Boston, and may be just as low income.

Learn travel arrangments, especially international, calendar management, and event planning--necessary for ExecAdm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.