Switching jobs to admin assistant

Comments (3)

redapple in Saint Petersburg, Florida

39 months ago

I've been searching for a forum where people can offer advice and answer my questions on finding an administrative assistant job, and I'm hoping I can get some here. So here it goes...

I own a retail business right now, and absolutely hate it. I hope I'll eventually be able to sell the business and move on. I would like to get a job as an administrative or office assistant. Will I be able to transfer the skills I use to run the business to something that hiring managers would be interested in? I also have a master's degree and I've noticed that many administrative assistant listings require a high school diploma. Will my education be a hindrance?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance!

Stafford in White Plains, New York

39 months ago

redapple in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I've been searching for a forum where people can offer advice and answer my questions on finding an administrative assistant job, and I'm hoping I can get some here. So here it goes...

I own a retail business right now, and absolutely hate it. I hope I'll eventually be able to sell the business and move on. I would like to get a job as an administrative or office assistant. Will I be able to transfer the skills I use to run the business to something that hiring managers would be interested in? I also have a master's degree and I've noticed that many administrative assistant listings require a high school diploma. Will my education be a hindrance?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance!

It appears you have the skills/over qualified; therefore, I suggest you seek after an Executive Administrative position only. Also, keep in mind that, it appears that because so many employees including Managers, and Directors are self-sufficient (given available technology) Administrative Assistant/Secretaries are fading out. This cases sever boredom, it also depend on the type of company you apply to. I have worked as a Sr. Secretary/Administrative Assistant for a Commercial Real-estate company and remained busy. Good luck.

Cheryl in Saint Louis, Missouri

19 months ago

Many Fortune 500 companies require a college degree for their administrative assistant jobs and the salary is excellent if you are supporting a C level executive. As you go down the chain to smaller businesses, a college degree is not required nor is the skillset and thus the jobs pay very low wages (not enough to support yourself on). I don't know if you have the skillset to be an administrative assistant or to make the transition in a job market that is very tight. Perhaps it would be better to transition into a position more in line with your professional background. What is your master's degree in?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.