Switching jobs to admin assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

redapple in Saint Petersburg, Florida

29 months ago

I've been searching for a forum where people can offer advice and answer my questions on finding an administrative assistant job, and I'm hoping I can get some here. So here it goes...

I own a retail business right now, and absolutely hate it. I hope I'll eventually be able to sell the business and move on. I would like to get a job as an administrative or office assistant. Will I be able to transfer the skills I use to run the business to something that hiring managers would be interested in? I also have a master's degree and I've noticed that many administrative assistant listings require a high school diploma. Will my education be a hindrance?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stafford in White Plains, New York

28 months ago

redapple in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I've been searching for a forum where people can offer advice and answer my questions on finding an administrative assistant job, and I'm hoping I can get some here. So here it goes...

I own a retail business right now, and absolutely hate it. I hope I'll eventually be able to sell the business and move on. I would like to get a job as an administrative or office assistant. Will I be able to transfer the skills I use to run the business to something that hiring managers would be interested in? I also have a master's degree and I've noticed that many administrative assistant listings require a high school diploma. Will my education be a hindrance?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance!

It appears you have the skills/over qualified; therefore, I suggest you seek after an Executive Administrative position only. Also, keep in mind that, it appears that because so many employees including Managers, and Directors are self-sufficient (given available technology) Administrative Assistant/Secretaries are fading out. This cases sever boredom, it also depend on the type of company you apply to. I have worked as a Sr. Secretary/Administrative Assistant for a Commercial Real-estate company and remained busy. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Saint Louis, Missouri

9 months ago

Many Fortune 500 companies require a college degree for their administrative assistant jobs and the salary is excellent if you are supporting a C level executive. As you go down the chain to smaller businesses, a college degree is not required nor is the skillset and thus the jobs pay very low wages (not enough to support yourself on). I don't know if you have the skillset to be an administrative assistant or to make the transition in a job market that is very tight. Perhaps it would be better to transition into a position more in line with your professional background. What is your master's degree in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.