What are the best admissions counselor qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an admissions counselor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective admissions counselor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

DM in Medford, Massachusetts

81 months ago

A great place to start is at the admissions office of your Alma Matter. It will give you a good feel for the job and allow you to gain some valuable experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ndhill in Olathe, Kansas

68 months ago

I would agree with SR, in my undergrad I was a "rep" in the Admissions office at my Alma Mater. It taught me how the office ran, and the responsibilities of an admish counselor. Now as an Admish counselor, I can see how that time benefitted me and prepared me for my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fred R. in Hillsdale, New Jersey

61 months ago

There is a great website that can help you with this info at www.collegereps.net. It has an article "How to Become and Admissions Counselor" and more information for admissions professionals too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

D S in Glendale, Arizona

60 months ago

Most of the online admission rep positions are high pressure for the per representing the college or University. The director of admissions has to hit the numbers, this falls to the assistant directors making there numbers. And as it all rolls down hill, the admission advisor will be told anything and everything to get those numbers.
You need a need a successful sales background, the ability to convence people that your PRODUCT is better than the other 30 Universities and tech schools that have called them.
You will need to make between 100 and 125 dials a day, and be able to handle hang ups and life story's of people that may or may not be able to complete sentences or thoughts.

The admissions advisor profession has become the same as all professions in this economy.
You are only as good as your last enrollment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.