What are the best admissions representative qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an admissions representative? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective admissions representative?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Trevor in South Jordan, Utah

60 months ago

There is a huge difference between state colleges and propriatary colleges.
The best training is outside sales because it is all about other peoples goals.
You will not hit your goal if your students cannot see themselves reaching their goals at yout college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rose in Watertown, Massachusetts

59 months ago

what about admissions jobs at private high schools? what does the career path look like there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bcrazy in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an admissions representative? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective admissions representative?

I can tell you what it's like in a "career school enviro".
You have to be a self starter. (Me in sunvalley is right. It's sales. In the basic heart of it, it is sales, high pressure, kick your butt sales but to me, it's more than that) First of all tho, you have to believe in the school. If you are getting people to get child care for their kids, rearrange their lives, work a job, go to school and still have time to study, you had better have something you believe in or you are just selling somebody a lemon, and you are going to hate it.
If you have a good product, you can do it.
Make sure the school is accredited. If it isn't, the students won't be able to get certified or credit for all their efforts. Sounds simple but it's a big thing. Training? nah, your not going to get it, you have the leads, somtimes a script to go by and you definately have quotas. It's high pressure and high turnover. You need to be a go getter and motivate people to make a change. I love it. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Croc1 in Ravenna, Michigan

51 months ago

I have a decent savings account, and i only have about 20 credits left to complete my BS degree, which i should have completed by
the end of 2010. I'm 49 years old, and i have to get this done, because it's holding me back. Otherwise, i will be stuck with
crap jobs forever.
As a sidebar, the VP of Admissions came to the school from a collections company, and my Regional was in the beer business. They have to recruit from the outside, because what admissions rep, would want to "move up" to the regional level?
Lose all your friends. No thanks.

Pinnacle Admissions Solutions in Pomona, California

50 months ago

Hello All,

For-Profit, post-secondary schools are NOT rip offs. They target those students who have had trouble in the past with studies and who are looking for a "second chance". I myself attended a school like this. Your expectations have to be realistic---you cannot go to a school for 8 months and expect to get paid $50K a year. You will start at entry level but well worth it if you're a self-starter and hard worker.

Either way, I own a company called Pinnacle Admissions Solutions and I train people who want to eventually become admissions reprentatives. Now, I'm not taking your money nor am I going to promise you anything if you're not a great candidate. If you'd like more information please feel free in emailing me at pinnacleadmissionssolutions@yahoo.com

I'll help you get started and into the lucrative world of admissions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

True story in Indianapolis, Indiana

37 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an admissions representative? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective admissions representative?

For those who say that career colleges are a rip off.. you ARE RIGHT! I was an admissions rep and hated it. I had a college degree and my manager had a wack high school diploma. and he was making over 100,000..How did he get the job? It is all about SALES. If you can sell your product no matter how crappy it is, you got a job. All i know is that these students were falling into debt with no chance of getting a good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

arthistoryteacher in Muncie, Indiana

31 months ago

OMG! hey Indianapolis~am I on my way to interview for your job? Now I am really worried. After nine years of teaching at the university level, I was not offered a contract this past school year even though I have strong evaluations. I've even enjoyed working summers as an orientation advisor for incoming freshmen. This seemed like a good fit, but now am sooooooo concerned. I don't want to move only to have to quit in misery within a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chelle in Minneapolis, Minnesota

31 months ago

yikes, omg i just got hired to be an admissions rep at one of these so called "for profit colleges" wow..im so disappointed to hear all of the negative feedback about what this job is like..it pays well, starts out in the high 30s but dang..wondering if its worth it now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Seriously in Jefferson City, Missouri

26 months ago

I've worked at a for profit college for 15 years, and we change a lot of people's lives. Are you saying they don't deserve an education? Some people have to go to school and learn a skill fast to get a job. Can't believe you ever worked at one because you sound ignorant.I love the college I work at and the students How dare you say we don't care about our students. You must have been at a crappy school, and maybe you were, but you shouldn't make these statements about ALL for profit colleges.Also, what about all the 4 year univeristy's turning out students with 50-60 thousand out in student loans and can't find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

I am so happy to see this forum! Hello. I am so very happy to see this forum.

Seriously,

I don't get it.

The 2 and 4 yr colleges want "stupid" qualifications for their admin rep.

One wanted a Master's and you had to know some type of college software and a whole laundry list of requirements.

I'm a great outside salesman and I would love to do this job because I truly believe that I could increase enrollment big time in an ethical way. But I don't meet the requirements.

It seems they want more of a professor academia type of person than a sales person. Why is that???

Seriously in Missouri why?????????

26 months ago

I'd love to have the benefits that colleges give but the requirements are way too much.

It seems that technical schools have hardly any requirements for their admin reps??? But community colleges and 4 yr institutions big list.

And that is a Sales job I could out perform in. I don't get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I cried when I saw the requirements for admin rep last month for the local community college.

I was going write them telling them that they could just pay me commission and no base salary because I am so confident that I could increase enrollment like they never saw before.

Orange County Community College are you listening. Hello.

I just don't get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

You ever talk to an admin rep. Most are nice but as boring as can be. They have little Sales skills.

I would love to have the challenge of that job at one of the 2 or 4 yr schools in this area.

OCCC
SCCC
UCCC
The Mount
Marist College
Suny New Paltz

Above colleges you reading this. I'll be 100 percent commission based. Enough ranting.

I don't get your requirements though. Just don't compute to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle C in Schaumburg, Illinois

24 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I am so happy to see this forum! Hello. I am so very happy to see this forum.

Seriously,

I don't get it.

The 2 and 4 yr colleges want "stupid" qualifications for their admin rep.

One wanted a Master's and you had to know some type of college software and a whole laundry list of requirements.

I'm a great outside salesman and I would love to do this job because I truly believe that I could increase enrollment big time in an ethical way. But I don't meet the requirements.

It seems they want more of a professor academia type of person than a sales person. Why is that???

Seriously in Missouri why?????????

You shouldn't be offered a job as an Admissions Rep without formal qualifications nor with other professional support positions. What is the point in getting an education and going to get a degree if we could just hire people like you who are just about sales. It is about education and what education stands for. You can't sell something you don't believe in, and you must not believe in it if you don't have a degree yet. I taught and then started working in financial aid and transitioned just now to become an AA. I do not believe somebody with no qualifications should be getting paid 45 plus just because they are 'good at selling'. There are fundamentals you will be missing and if I were the director of admissions I would tell you that flat out.

There is nothing wrong with for profit education. They offer 2 and 4 year degree programs often as cheap as traditional schools with specific grants or tuition rates for military student and scholarships for others. Some even have saught after programs. If you believe in education and for the school that you are representing, their career fields, and have a degree, this may be something for you. But do not think you are going to get a job paying 45-55 per year without a formal education. 99% of people will not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

guest in Oakland, California said: In the for profit school industry it is all about getting the suckers (oops students) to enroll.

It's all about putting the fannies in seats, alot of stress.

I wonder if they get any govt funding?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

angelinwilliams in Chennai, India

18 months ago

A college admissions representative has a challenging but rewarding role. He recruits students for the college, guides them through the admissions process and enrolls them in an eligible degree or certificate program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Alexandria, Louisiana

16 months ago

True story in Indianapolis, Indiana said: For those who say that career colleges are a rip off.. you ARE RIGHT! I was an admissions rep and hated it. I had a college degree and my manager had a wack high school diploma. and he was making over 100,000..How did he get the job? It is all about SALES. If you can sell your product no matter how crappy it is, you got a job. All i know is that these students were falling into debt with no chance of getting a good job.

You are so right. It's been over two years and my daughter still haven't been able to get a job as a Medical Assistant.
People keep saying, "It's who you know". Worst than that the loan has been placed in collection. They were rushed through the class. Some of the instucters quit. They(class)graduated with insufficient training. I feel she shouldn't have to pay back the full amount of the loan. So disappointed.{Quote}

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dayna in Longwood, Florida

16 months ago

rose in Watertown, Massachusetts said: what about admissions jobs at private high schools? what does the career path look like there?

Well high school is college predatory. So their goal is to become prepared for a good college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.