ALASKA Airlines - Flight Attendant GROUP INTERVIEW process

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1001 to 1050 of 4181)
Page:  « First « Previous   18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next »   Last »

Let's fly in San Diego, California

25 months ago

Cathy Sharp in California said: The employment window for FA with Alaska Airlines is now open. Does anyone know when the group interview will begin? Maybe what city? Do they fly you if you live more than 8 hours away? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

The interviews already started, they had an even last week in Irvine, and they will have 3 more additional interview sessions in Seattle this month. They do not fly you, travel expenses are the applicants responsibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy Sharp in California

25 months ago

Let's fly in San Diego, California said: The interviews already started, they had an even last week in Irvine, and they will have 3 more additional interview sessions in Seattle this month. They do not fly you, travel expenses are the applicants responsibility.

Thanks, I just received the email for a phone interview but was wondering how long before they usually call? I just love this forum so we can all support each other and share our experiences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandi in Germantown, Tennessee

25 months ago

Cathy Sharp in California said: Thanks, I just received the email for a phone interview but was wondering how long before they usually call? I just love this forum so we can all support each other and share our experiences.

I received an email for my phone interview on 9/3. I sent them an email on 9/10 because I didn't get a response. My phone interview was scheduled for 9/13. I'll be attending the group interview in Seattle on 9/28.

25 months ago

Let's fly in San Diego, California said: I will be attending the Sept 28 interview session as well.

That's great! Are you flying in on the 27th? I think I'm going to try to get a room at The Hampton Inn.

Letsfly in San Diego, California

25 months ago

Brandi in Germantown, Tennessee said: That's great! Are you flying in on the 27th? I think I'm going to try to get a room at The Hampton Inn.

Yes, I will be flying in the 27th. I was thinking of staying at the Holiday in. I get discounts on hotels at my current job.

Ring of Fire in Seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Thank to everyone on this forum for your advice. I got an offer for a flight attendant position with AS. I dubbed our group the "Magnificent 7", since that's how many were chosen out of the about 50 who were at the group interview. I will start training in Seattle on Oct. 29. YAY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ninaballerina in Phoenix, Arizona

25 months ago

Hi, I have just had my phone interview and been invited to seattle next friday. Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything would be great.

JB seattle in seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Ring of Fire in Seattle, Washington said: Thank to everyone on this forum for your advice. I got an offer for a flight attendant position with AS. I dubbed our group the "Magnificent 7", since that's how many were chosen out of the about 50 who were at the group interview. I will start training in Seattle on Oct. 29. YAY!

Congratulations to you and the rest of the "magnificent 7." I'm a current AS FA and want to welcome you to this great company.

JB seattle in seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Ninaballerina in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi, I have just had my phone interview and been invited to seattle next friday. Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything would be great.

Read the previous comments in this thread. There are a lot of great ideas for you.

smilesinthesky in Federal Way, Washington

25 months ago

tina in Reseda, California said: Hey who is attending the Oct 29 class?

I will be Tina!! Did you want to exchange contact info?

smilesinthesky in Federal Way, Washington

25 months ago

Ring of Fire in Seattle, Washington said: Thank to everyone on this forum for your advice. I got an offer for a flight attendant position with AS. I dubbed our group the "Magnificent 7", since that's how many were chosen out of the about 50 who were at the group interview. I will start training in Seattle on Oct. 29. YAY!

Yay!!! That's fabulous dear!! I'll be there as well!

Sky flyer in San Jose, California

25 months ago

Congrats to those who have been offered training! I'm just waiting for my 6 months to come up so I can reapply and hopefully get in this time. My heart is set on alaska!

Kenressa Pierce in Puyallup, Washington

25 months ago

Hi Everyone, I have been following this forum for a couple days. I just applied for Alaska Airlines during the opening this last weekend. Anyone know how long I should expect to wait for a phone interview if chosen? I am super excited to be making a career change and this is all new to me. Thank you for anything you can share.

Lisa in Lakewood, Washington

25 months ago

I want to congratulate YOU and the rest of the 7. :) I would love each and everyone of you to be my flight attendant on a future AS flight. I was the farmer girl in the bunch. I am so curious who was hired that day of group interview on Friday, the 14th of Sept. in Seattle. I felt sooo honored to be amongst such stellar, upstanding men and woman!

Tina in Reseda, California

25 months ago

smilesinthesky in Federal Way, Washington said: I will be Tina!! Did you want to exchange contact info?

Hi, Yes that would be great. My email is tinasdesigns2001@yahoo.com

Ninaballerina in Phoenix, Arizona

25 months ago

Hi, does anyone know what alaskas hair color policy is. I have an interview coming up and dont want my hair to effect anything I have dark red hair, so nothing crazy, but should I change it to look more natural?

25 months ago

Sky flyer in San Jose, California said: Congrats to those who have been offered training! I'm just waiting for my 6 months to come up so I can reapply and hopefully get in this time. My heart is set on alaska!

Yes, don't give up. A few months ago I made it to the final interview with Horizon Air, and they didn't choose me. I really felt down because I wanted it sooo bad, and came sooooo close. But that interview prepared me for Alaska Airlines. I was more confident and was able to better present myself. Now you will be more confident and know what to expect. Alaska will hire 350 flight attendants by the end of next year, so stick with it!

25 months ago

JB seattle in seattle, Washington said: Congratulations to you and the rest of the "magnificent 7." I'm a current AS FA and want to welcome you to this great company.

Thank you kindly! In all honesty, the panel could of chosen much more than 7. It was such a dynamic and heartfelt group.
But It makes me feel even better being employed by a company that there are employees like you who give their advice to help future candidates. My kudos to you! ^_^

25 months ago

Ring of Fire in Seattle, Washington said: Yes, don't give up. A few months ago I made it to the final interview with Horizon Air, and they didn't choose me. I really felt down because I wanted it sooo bad, and came sooooo close. But that interview prepared me for Alaska Airlines. I was more confident and was able to better present myself. Now you will be more confident and know what to expect. Alaska will hire 350 flight attendants by the end of next year, so stick with it!

Thanks for the motivation and advice. Definitely looking forward to the chance to interview with Alaska again. Great news on the hiring and good to know there will still be classes ongoing.

Wilmatubs in Arkansas

25 months ago

Hi can anyone tell me more about alaska airlines nicotine test. I quit smoking a few months ago and would hate for that to be a reason I dont get the job. Do they do a swab test, urine, or hair strand test? Do they test at the interview or after? I'd really appreciate any info on this from anyone who has been through it recently so I know what to expect. Thank u.

25 months ago

Wilmatubs in Arkansas said: Hi can anyone tell me more about alaska airlines nicotine test. I quit smoking a few months ago and would hate for that to be a reason I dont get the job. Do they do a swab test, urine, or hair strand test? Do they test at the interview or after? I'd really appreciate any info on this from anyone who has been through it recently so I know what to expect. Thank u.

A minimum requirement for candidacy is that you must be a non-user of ALL nicotine products for AT LEAST 6 months. They make you answer this question on paper before the group interview, and will be asked during the one-on-one interview. They do a swab and urine test after the final selection process.

ready2fly

25 months ago

I applied back in august and just got a call today. Did the phone interview right then, which was probbaly a mistake cus I was so shocked :/ I feel I didn't do great. What kind of things get you a face to face interview?

Wilmatubs in Arkansas

25 months ago

Can anyone tell me if alaska uses the resume you initially sent to them with the online application or if they use the one you provide at the interview? I wanted to adjust something on my resume. Thanks.

warmsmile in seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Wilmatubs in Arkansas said: Can anyone tell me if alaska uses the resume you initially sent to them with the online application or if they use the one you provide at the interview? I wanted to adjust something on my resume. Thanks.

Bring a completed copy of your resume with you and have about four/five copies made so that at each level of the interview you can pass out more of what you want them to read. Many folks bring 10 copies for the whole day. Shake hands on each level of your interviews. Make sure all that your print on your resume is truthful. You will be found out...trust me. Make sure if you plan to have a referral page that you also extend that in each interview level. The problem with the whole resume/referral thing is that they are having to read, rather fast, through many resumes as the interviews go on and on and the main presentation of who/what/why and how is on YOU and YOU alone. Practice your interview skills.What you have on your resume is only an invitation as they look and listen to you. YOU are the walking, talking resume for this job.

Wilmatubs in Arkansas

25 months ago

Thank you so much for the great advice, that is so helpful. I do have one more question; I have so many great reference letters from employers, people i've worked with, customers and character references. However I dont want to over do it. How many should I take to the interview? And should I also have multiple copies of each reference letter?

25 months ago

My advice to you is solely based on my experience during the group interview I had this month.

- I brought 3 copies of my resume to the interview. During the 1-on-1, they already had a print-out of the resume I had on file. I handed the interviewer the one I brought because I tweaked some of the dates. I do not see the need to bring more than 2 copies to the interview in my opinion. They will never ask for more than one copy since you're only going to have one personal interview. The rest of the interview process are group activities. What is MOST important is that your dates and information are correct. They will interrogate you and ask you SPECIFIC questions about each employer.

- I did not have one reference letter! My phone interview and group interview were just days apart, so I did not have time to collect letters of recommendation. Another successful candidate had 12 reference letters stapled to the back of her resume, both professional and personal letters. She only brought one resume to the interview. We both came to the conclusion that it all boils down to how you present yourself during the interview. I felt very intimidated during the group interview, but did my best to present myself. There were many current and former flight attendants. Also candidates whose parents were pilots and flight attendants. I could imagine they would have some pretty good references. I don't know anyone in the airline industry, and Alaska Airlines chose me. =) I think candidates fail to realize that the purpose of a resume is to get an interview. You have an interview now, so focus on the interview and not the resume. Just make sure all the dates and information are correct.
Now take time to read through all the comments and advice here. It is absolutely golden.

Alaska Airlines already likes what you have to offer. They already read your resume. So now you can "WOW" them why you would be a successful candidate. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Wilmatubs in Arkansas said: Thank you so much for the great advice, that is so helpful. I do have one more question; I have so many great reference letters from employers, people i've worked with, customers and character references. However I dont want to over do it. How many should I take to the interview? And should I also have multiple copies of each reference letter?

Pick two of the best referrals. Attacht those copies to each extra copy of your resume. You can list others (extra) on your resume with addresses/e-mails/telephone #'s.
IF you have a referral from another airline employee at the airline you are interviewing with, that is EXTRA good for you. Infact, many airlines pay employees who refer others for their job classification. It is a way of giving incentive to those who know of someone who would be a good employee for their Company. As in most jobs, it pays to know someone. Good luck. Read this forum over and over and over. There are so many questions answered on this site.

skygirl1435 in Huntington Beach, California

25 months ago

Did anyone here apply right around the 17th of September and receive any contact from AS? I submitted on the night of the 16th and so far haven't heard anything by email or phone.
Thanks!

Good luck to everyone! AS is really a stellar airline that would be a dream to work for :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

KJA88 in Post Falls, Idaho

25 months ago

skygirl1435 in Huntington Beach, California said: Did anyone here apply right around the 17th of September and receive any contact from AS? I submitted on the night of the 16th and so far haven't heard anything by email or phone.
Thanks!

Good luck to everyone! AS is really a stellar airline that would be a dream to work for :D

I applied on the 15th..and after doing some research, i was under the impression the group interview would be this friday 9/28 with the class being held at the end of Oct. My past experiences with Alaska Airlines is that it has taken a few months (about 2) for them to contact me after I applied. Maybe they are holding our resumes for the classes next year as it seems this Oct. class is the last one for 2012...

25 months ago

Letsfly in San Diego, California said: Yes, I will be flying in the 27th. I was thinking of staying at the Holiday in. I get discounts on hotels at my current job.

I understand. I will either be staying at the Hampton Inn or the Double Tree because of the discounts. Good luck Friday!

25 months ago

KJA88 in Post Falls, Idaho said: I applied on the 15th..and after doing some research, i was under the impression the group interview would be this friday 9/28 with the class being held at the end of Oct. My past experiences with Alaska Airlines is that it has taken a few months (about 2) for them to contact me after I applied. Maybe they are holding our resumes for the classes next year as it seems this Oct. class is the last one for 2012...

I applied with AS on 7/10, had my phone interview on 9/10 and will be attending the group interview on 9/28. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear from the right away.

Wilmatubs in Arkansas

25 months ago

Can anyone suggest good questions to ask the interviewers?

25 months ago

Dear Wilmatubs in Arkansas: Every single one of you needs to be asking interviewers (in the one on one interviews) question about YOUR future at ANY airline. Alaska Airlines is receiving new aircraft every few months now and they are called ER a/c. ER means extended range. Questions to ask: 1.Why all the recent hiring and plans for new cities and even bases? 2. Posted profits? outlook for next year? Pay scale? YES...you should ask these kind of questions....It is soon to be YOUR career. Why would anyone accept a job and not understand the pay scale they will be receiving for the rest of their career? Go to on line and read about their history. You need to be familiar with their history (this is of any airline) plans for the future and how many classes will go through this coming year. IF the October class is the last one for this year then those of you who have not received any kind of connection will probably be doing so in the last months of this year. What are the Company plans for all the new hires for next year. For many of you, that is who YOU will be. You might want to add in your interview that you have been preparing yourself physically for the job, which is very demanding. You want them to know you are ready. Those of you applying for international airlines must be aware of the demands on your body flying across time zones. These are some of the ideas for questions you need to ask your interview. You will get that chance once you get to the last interview. SMile...SMile. SMile. Read this forum over and over and over.

Amanda in Portland, Oregon

25 months ago

skygirl1435 in Huntington Beach, California said: Did anyone here apply right around the 17th of September and receive any contact from AS? I submitted on the night of the 16th and so far haven't heard anything by email or phone.
Thanks!

i applied on the sept 12th. the only thing ive gotten so far is a confirmation email that i applied. im dying to hear back from them.

Flygirl in Seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Is there anyone here in Seattle going to interview tomorrow for F/A.? I have already arrived, and am very excited to be here. I would like to meet some of the applicants before going to the interview. If you would like to do the same please email me at crystallady916@yahoo.com. Good Luck to everyone. We should all be grateful for the opportunity.

Kenressa Pierce in Puyallup, Washington

25 months ago

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow!! I'm excited to get a phone call and an invitation to the next interview.

Flygirl in Seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Congratulations!

25 months ago

Hey KJA88 !

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it does take a while now that I think about it. And your point on classes for next year makes a ton of sense.
I think they're extremely organized and prepare for the future really well. Now, all that's left is for me to learn to be patient :D
And wish everyone the best of luck!

25 months ago

Hi Amanda in Portland !

Thanks for your feedback as well!

I too only got the email stating that they'd received my application. Ok girl, so mow we wait! KJA88 made a good point: lots of apps may be in a pool for January! :D As long as they hire us all...what do we care how long it takes? (tick...tock)
(...and GO DUCKS...although we DO have Oregon State family members too!)
Best of luck to everyone!

Flygirl in Sacramento, California

25 months ago

Hi, guys! I went to the interview on the 28th. I got an offer for the Jan 2nd class. Going through the process I met a lot of wonderful people. Being wonderful is not going to cut it here. I could clearly see when going through the process why people got cut. Let's start with that, because I think that information might help you get through the interview.

People were shy. Flight Attendants aren't shy, and are very open and outgoing. Also some people were not memorable. Make sure you work the room and introduce yourself to as many people as you can. Please take advantage of the opportunities you get to talk to any employee at Alaska Airlines even if is for a brief second. Shake their hand introduce yourself and let them know you appreciate the opportunity. Make eye contact when people are speaking. Smile a lot. And look interested. Please leave your cell phones in your cars, and never use them in the interview facility. That is a sure way to get cut. When you walk in the building the interview starts. When you check in you are being watched shake that person's hand and tell them how grateful you are or the opportunity.

Round 1
Everyone will get a chance to participate in round 1. People got cut here because they did not listen to the questions being asked. If they ask you to tell them 1 thing about yourself they want to hear one thing. If they ask you to spell your name do not spell your nick name and then say it is short for... They asked you to spell your name. The name your mother gave you. When they ask you questions in this round remain calm turn on your smile and know there is no right or wrong answer. They are looking at how would you treat their customer? Can you follow instructions? Again are you memorable, not shy. How do you make yourself memorable you ask? Smile, introduce yourself to everyone, make eye contact, pay attention to others when they are talking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Round 2
You already done this part! It is the same as the phone interview, but now only F2F. The answers you gave in the phone interview were sufficient. This is the place where you want to be absolutely sure that you stand by everything on your application and that you are willing to move to any of their bases. Remember it only has to be a temporary move. No big deal.

Round 3

Congratulations on making it this far!
This s where you are being judged on teamwork. If you feel like you are being left out no one is doing it on purpose. Just read someone's name tag and ask would they care to help you? Take this round easy. Nothing is about a right or wrong answer. They again are checking out your personality. Remember this round is again about customer service and teamwork. If no one likes your idea it is okay. It is not the end of the world. Again no right or wrong answers just roll with it. If they ask you for one thing remember they just want one thing. Listen and follow instructions. I say this bc people don't. One other common mistake is that you cannot make a customer do anything. You are not the police. Think of another approach. Talk about how doing what you ask will benefit them. Flight attendants are there for the passengers safety.

Hope this helps. I did not write really any questions bc someone did earlier in the post. Read those and think about customer service, and passenger safety. good luck on your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sky Bunny in Portland, Oregon

25 months ago

awe, congratulations and thx flygirl for your very thorough breakdown of the interview stages! I am interviewing in October and hope to be joining you in that Jan class! I am a bit anxious and so excited for the opportunity... I get what you mean about answering the question asked and only the question but also want to infuse some personality into my answer, I need to find that right balance! what trait do you think they were most looking for, sweet/kind; confident, assertive and professional; funny/witty; or charming, warm and friendly? I feel like I am all of these things depending on the actual situation...
good luck to everyone else interviewing, can't wait to meet you!
cheers =)

25 months ago

I think they were looking for people who were thoughtful, and caring. 3 words they were saying all the time were punctual, flexible, responsible. Another thing is to be thoughtful of how u dress. U should try and make it easy for them to see you as a flight attendant. Look at photos if u have to to get ideas. Make sure your shoes are comfortable and very clean and shined. Ladies low heels. No crazy colors for clothes or make up. Make up should be worn, but kept to a minimum, hair should be worn up. Jewelry to a minimum. Hope this helps.

25 months ago

Flygirl in Sacramento, California said: I think they were looking for people who were thoughtful, and caring. 3 words they were saying all the time were punctual, flexible, responsible. Another thing is to be thoughtful of how u dress. U should try and make it easy for them to see you as a flight attendant. Look at photos if u have to to get ideas. Make sure your shoes are comfortable and very clean and shined. Ladies low heels. No crazy colors for clothes or make up. Make up should be worn, but kept to a minimum, hair should be worn up. Jewelry to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great insight and advice. Quick question, were you offered the October class date or only the January one? I believe there is an oct class but they may have been filled already.

Terah in Eugene, Oregon

25 months ago

Hello everyone and congratulations or good luck, whichever may apply :)

I've applied for a FA position myself and am one of the unfortunates who have not heard back from Alaskan Airlines with an invite to the open interview. I have work experience, a degree, no record, etc. and am wondering what the absolute longest it could take for them to get back to me would be. 3 weeks? 1 month? Because it's pushing that now...

I'd been waiting for an airline to host an open interview in Oregon and am thrilled that they have. Only, I might miss my chance...

Apply again? Even possible?

Are there open interviews in other states this fall?

Any tips at all? Thank you in advance!

25 months ago

[QUOTE who="Terah in Eugene, Oregon

Terah,

Please just wait for a reply. It is my understanding that the ALaska Group has filled their slots for this year (October). While they just took in new applications about two/three weeks ago I would think those are for the six classes they want to have filled for next year. There are no more classes planned for this year and tomorrow is the first of October. Anyone who applies now (when they open up applications again) will get a chance at the 2013 classes. They might interview in November for next year but most things come to a standstill around the holiday season at any airline.

If you are speaking about Horizon Airline for the open interview in Oregon, you need to know that Horizon is under the Alaska Air Group umbrella and once you get a job with them it is hard to try and get an interview with Alaska Airlines till you have been with Horizon for a couple of years. No airlines like to train someone and then have them leave for another airline soon after they were hired. I think you see the reasons why. There is a great deal of money spent on training you for one airline.

Do not consider yourself unfortunate yet. If you just applied it may take you into the New Year for a response. One would hope not but you need to understand that many many people apply for these jobs when and if the proces opensup. My advice, unless you get a interview slot with a larger, international carrier, don't try and get hired with a smaller carrier than what you are holding out for. Go for the BIG carriers if you have the chance but hold out for the Alaska slots. I believe it is too early in your process to worry. Many folks have had to wait two months to hear back from their application process. Hopes this helps with your thought process.

25 months ago

Sorry warmsmile, but I do not agree with your advice about discouraging, Terah, from applying with smaller carriers. I think it is up to her to choose what she wants in an airline. People want to be flight attendants for many different reasons, and some people do not care who they work for they just want the job. I am a current flight attendant and am going to be in the Jan 2nd class for Alaska Airlines. I can tell you from experience that people join this profession many different reasons, and your reason may not be the same. If you have your heart set on a certain airline your chane may not happen for years, but in the meantime what are you going to do? I think you should not put all of your eggs in one basket. Good Luck to you all.

25 months ago

Flygirl in Sacramento, California said: Sorry warmsmile, but I do not agree with your advice about discouraging, Terah, from applying with smaller carriers. I think it is up to her to choose what she wants in an airline. People want to be flight attendants for many different reasons, and some people do not care who they work for they just want the job. I am a current flight attendant and am going to be in the Jan 2nd class for Alaska Airlines. I can tell you from experience that people join this profession many different reasons, and your reason may not be the same. If you have your heart set on a certain airline your chane may not happen for years, but in the meantime what are you going to do? I think you should not put all of your eggs in one basket. Good Luck to you all.

I have to agree with this as well. No interview is easy and it could take many years to get that "ideal" carrier. Many people choose Airlines for different reasons. Domestic vs. international. Base locations. Reserve times. Pay. There are so many factors.i would recommend applying to all the airlines that Are currently hiring, use the interviews as experience in how to interview. If you are offered training with different airlines, then you can sit down and way your pros and cons between them. I would not recommend putting your eggs in one basket as fly girl said because it could be a long emotional wait. It took me two years to get hired by my first airline, but it was worth it. Good luck!

Fly girl, can we ask who you work for and was the October class full?

Jon

25 months ago

I don't think she is being discouraging. She is stating a good point about being hired by a regional and mainline carrier. One you get assigned a training date for a class it does not look good if you and I use the term lightly jump ship. Especially if the mainline carrier own a subsidiary regional carrier. You should make your decision in your quality of life and your life's situation if you want to wait for a better opportunity to come along. As the industry is now getting hired for a mainline company is 1000 times more competitive then it was when the economy was good.

Jon

25 months ago

For those who are waiting for an invite for an open house, you have to be patient. They will get to you. I don't know how to explain the selection process because each airline is different but they will get to you. Just be patient. You will get an invite. They might schedule an interview close to your area because they have interviews in the LA area and surrounding towns of LGB, ONT, SNA. Yes they are done for 2012 but 2013 is around the corner.

Page:  « First « Previous   18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.