*CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LONDON 2013*

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 977)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Acid in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Hello everyone,

Just posting a new thread here. Has anyone got an invitation for CX's FA group assessment day in Feb 2013?

x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LatinaFilipina in Bracknell, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Hello everyone,

Just posting a new thread here. Has anyone got an invitation for CX's FA group assessment day in Feb 2013?

x

Hello Acid,

I saw your post the other day but only came to reply now.

I have also been invited to attend the Group Assessment in February :) Mine is on the 6th in the morning. Like yourself, I emailed my resume in the New Year and got a reply message the very next day. The other day I received a call to advise me of the details for the group assessment.

I sincerely hope to meet you there :)

Good luck to the both of us and for everyone who is applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Hello LatinaFilipina,

It is lovely to read your message and I am glad that I am not the only one. Though mine is on the 6th in the afternoon. Perhaps you might see me after you coming out from your interview with success! Yes, same good luck to us all!

Are you also from Hong Kong too? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Hello LatinaFilipina,

It is lovely to read your message and I am glad that I am not the only one. Though mine is on the 6th in the afternoon. Perhaps you might see me after you coming out from your interview with success! Yes, same good luck to us all!

Are you also from Hong Kong too? :)

Trust me, there will be quite a group of us there - the job post is very attractive ;)They probably have not found this site yet but I am sure they will soon.

I'm guessing your group assessment is at 14:00? As mine is at 10:00 in the morning - am I correct? :D

I am actually Filipino but I have friends who are from HK as well.

Shame we are not on the same slot, it would have been lovely to put a face to a name. But, who knows, hopefully if we both pass, we may find ourselves meeting again. :)

I'm feeling nervous and excited for our upcoming group assessment but if there is anything you would like to ask me, please do so! And vice versa :) It would be lovely to share some ideas and insights with a fellow interviewee ;)

Fingers crossed for the both of us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Salala in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Hey Guys!

I'm glad that someone has started a thread for this year. I've been reading old ones but I don't think it's quite the same as talking to people applying the same time as me.

My interview is on the 6th too but for 12pm, I'm guessing they would have a lot people this time as there's different time slots, my friend has hers on the 11th at 10am.

Im british born chinese btw and I speak both mandarin and cantonese. As for reading I can read the simple stuff, does singing in karaoke count too haha.

Nice to meet you both and yes best of luck!!

15 months ago

Salala in London, United Kingdom said: Hey Guys!

I'm glad that someone has started a thread for this year. I've been reading old ones but I don't think it's quite the same as talking to people applying the same time as me.

My interview is on the 6th too but for 12pm, I'm guessing they would have a lot people this time as there's different time slots, my friend has hers on the 11th at 10am.

Im british born chinese btw and I speak both mandarin and cantonese. As for reading I can read the simple stuff, does singing in karaoke count too haha.

Nice to meet you both and yes best of luck!!

Hello Salala,

You're absolutely right - it's not quite the same when you are talking to people who are applying the same time :)

It's just a shame that we are not on the same slots on the day - mine is at 10:00, yours is at 12:00 and Acid's is at 14:00.

As I am Filipino, guess I will be with a group of Tagalog speakers. Or mixed.

Wow, you speak both Mandarin and Cantonese - I have Chinese friends but none of them cant speak both languages like you do. That's definitely an advantage ;) Ah, and singing karaoke definitely a plus as well! Ha ha ha

I'm very, very nervous for the day! Ha ha ha Best of luck for all of us indeed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

(Testing - For some reason I can't post anything on here.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Oh now I can!

Mine's at 15:00 instead. Good grief! They are really interviewing a lot of people! So there are 3 groups for now (3 x 10)

At first, I was rather surprised and normally the afternoon interview starts at 14:00. (From reading this forum and previous interview in varied company) In fact, I double checked with them about the timing to make sure. It was correct and I am not sure, maybe they changed the time of the afternoon session this year. So LatinaFilipina this is your second shot? I genuinely hope that you will succeed this time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Such a real shame that we are not in the same interview because this is why the forum is for! I am sure we will meet other soon in training, or on broad, if we passed. *Finger-crossed*

Salala, I was born and raised in Hong Kong and move to England to start my A-levels 7 years ago. I love Chinese + Chinese literature - if I didn't come to England I would have studied Chinese. So Cantonese is my first language, I also speak Mandarin - I think I will need to brush it up a little bit since I have been away so long.

I am very pleased that I have an opportunity for an interview for a profession that I can utilised my skill and experience. I have done quite a lot of research since Christmas, and I briefly know the structure of the interview. Since this is my first time. For me, my approach will be be nice, smile a lot, engaged with everyone and just be myself - because one can never pretend to be somebody else but oneself! I know it is pretty vague, but I try not stress myself too much. And you guys? Did you have any tips from your experience(s) too?

15 months ago

^^ Above I mean I started my A-levels + Uni 7 years ago. I've just graduated last summer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yph in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Hi everyone, congratulation to you all and hope to see you all in the near future.

I am currently working in London base and I had a group chat here last year too. I am glad you guys open this up to carry on this kind of culture. haha

I am sure you all had done some research or read some stuff from previous year of what we talked about. If you do have any concern, I can try my best to help you guys!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!! REMEMBER SMILE ALL THE WAY!

Rosanna in Glasgow, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Hi guys ... So glad 2013 forum is opened however my interview is on 5th feb so won't be seeing any of use .... Hope sum1 who has a interview on same day as me sees this forum ....

Latina Filipino I hear this is ur 2nd shot so what advice wuld u give for 1st stage ? Btw jus to make sure there is a self intro yeh ? X

15 months ago

Welcome, Rosanna. You never know! - When I started this thread I thought no one will be reply this and this thread will be just sitting around lonely...good luck to you! (You are from Glasgow - does that mean you will need to travel to London ?)

My another concern is that my visa issue - I am currently on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (it used to be called "Working Visa Holiday") to stay here for 2 years until the end of 2014. (But given that I have already living + studying in the UK for 6 years) But at the end of the visa I would be eligible to apply a partnership visa with my partner. CX contract is for 3 years so I ain't sure whether there will be a problem. Then I assume there will be something that needs to be adressed with the interviewer.

15 months ago

From what I've read the initial stage should be quite relaxed and open. They just want to see how you interact with each other, what impressions you make that sorta thing, and as Acid says the most important thing is to just be yourself and be confident :)

Hello and thank you yph for having the time to come here and talk to us, it's very reassuring to have someone like you around. Would you mind sharing any useful tips with us for the first stage?

Hey Rosanna! Don't worry I'm sure people would turn up here eventually and have the same slot as you do ^^

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Welcome, Rosanna. You never know! - When I started this thread I thought no one will be reply this and this thread will be just sitting around lonely...good luck to you! (You are from Glasgow - does that mean you will need to travel to London ?)

My another concern is that my visa issue - I am currently on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (it used to be called "Working Visa Holiday") to stay here for 2 years until the end of 2014. (But given that I have already living + studying in the UK for 6 years) But at the end of the visa I would be eligible to apply a partnership visa with my partner. CX contract is for 3 years so I ain't sure whether there will be a problem. Then I assume there will be something that needs to be adressed with the interviewer.

Lol ... I actually contacted sum1 frm last year thread n they found this new thread for me :) n thank you .. U to :D I stay outside of Glasgow but yeh booked a flight n hotel ... Originally was goin to go down on day but worried about plane delay n stuff n I'm defo not a late person :p emm I have no idea about that as I am frm uk ... U frm hk I guess ? Btw u no for sure if there's a self intro ?

15 months ago

Acid, I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about for now, as for next year I do recommend you start applying for your partnership visa early as possible as you need to send off your passport and stuff so you won't be able to fly during that time? My friend who was recruited last year applied for her partner visa after (she had a post grad visa before) and she didn't seem to have a problem with it. Of course it's best to ask the the staff from cx and see what they say anyway.

Rosanna I'm sure you would need to make some sort of intro of yourself so its best to practice and prepare for it. :)

15 months ago

CX purchased 27 aircraft (including 4 Boeing 777-300ER passenger aircraft and 8 Boeing 777-200 Freighters) they said on their media center they would begin operations in early 2013. I hope that they will take coupe more FAs on broad.

yph, out of curiosity - do you have any idea of how many people do they recuite out of 10 people in the group? How did you get accepted do you think? (When i go to interview i just so compulsively think that i will screw it up... thats no good) Yes yes, What about self-intro - is it still 2 minutes speaking in front of the people?

Dress code-wise. They mentioned about business attire - is it quite conservative? (Black / navy blue / grey) - any particular colour is a "No-no"? (Bright colours? Since I was thinking to wear some dark classic colour blazer but with some bright colour lining inside to resemble CX's colour..like Red or Green)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Rosanna in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: Lol ... I actually contacted sum1 frm last year thread n they found this new thread for me :) n thank you .. U to :D I stay outside of Glasgow but yeh booked a flight n hotel ... Originally was goin to go down on day but worried about plane delay n stuff n I'm defo not a late person :p emm I have no idea about that as I am frm uk ... U frm hk I guess ? Btw u no for sure if there's a self intro ?

Yeah! I think that's probably wise, you'll never know the travel and delay. Also it gives you a day to be prepared. There is no point rushing it. Yup, I am from HK and came here since I was 17, which is almost 7 years ago.

I've also got a friend who got in last year, so it's height check, self-introduction yourself for 2 minutes standing up in the room, group discussion, then language test in the language you feel comfortable with? (if i haven't forgotten)

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Yeah! I think that's probably wise, you'll never know the travel and delay. Also it gives you a day to be prepared. There is no point rushing it. Yup, I am from HK and came here since I was 17, which is almost 7 years ago.

I've also got a friend who got in last year, so it's height check, self-introduction yourself for 2 minutes standing up in the room, group discussion, then language test in the language you feel comfortable with? (if i haven't forgotten)

Ahh ok see in the self intro wuld u say why u want to be a cabin crew n stuff lik at u think ? How can u forget lol my canto ok I speak it everyday with parents lol

15 months ago

Ha ha! Sorry what I mean was that "if i haven't forgotten any of the session in the interview"

But the truth is, I barely speak to my parents (they are back in HK and ), maybe twice a month? And I dont have many HK friends here. You know how it's like when you don't use the language...I mean of cos you can still do the chatting, but i mean..maybe in an interview...carrying a presentable cantonese conversation with standard demeanour... i might sound rusty...and with a strange accent. lol

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Ha ha! Sorry what I mean was that "if i haven't forgotten any of the session in the interview"

But the truth is, I barely speak to my parents (they are back in HK and ), maybe twice a month? And I dont have many HK friends here. You know how it's like when you don't use the language...I mean of cos you can still do the chatting, but i mean..maybe in an interview...carrying a presentable cantonese conversation with standard demeanour... i might sound rusty...and with a strange accent. lol

Aww ok ... N yeh I no what u mean il prob sound rusty too coz it's my 1st time havin a language test lol frm last yr forum most ppl did say they felt they did quite bad on language but im jus thinkin is it really that' hard :s although think I'm more worried about group exercise tbh :p

khy in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Hello everyone!

Wow can't believe I found a forum for this, the power of Google eh?

My assessment day is on the 6th at 3pm, looks like I'll be seeing you there Acid!

I guess I'm the only male on here so far? :o

rosanna in Glasgow, United Kingdom

15 months ago

khy in London, United Kingdom said: Hello everyone!

Wow can't believe I found a forum for this, the power of Google eh?

My assessment day is on the 6th at 3pm, looks like I'll be seeing you there Acid!

I guess I'm the only male on here so far? :o

hey welcome ;)

was hoping u were going to say u had 1 on the same day as me lol but yeh gd luck to u ... n yes i think u r lol

so u have much experience in airline industry or is it ur 1st time applying kinda thing ?

15 months ago

Yay!!!!!! High five! ~5

Is it your first time too? I am guess so yeah otherwise they will address their genders first in the beginning. I live in the East, you? Guessing you are getting the tube there yeah?

15 months ago

rosanna in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: hey welcome ;)

was hoping u were going to say u had 1 on the same day as me lol but yeh gd luck to u ... n yes i think u r lol

so u have much experience in airline industry or is it ur 1st time applying kinda thing ?

Yep first time applying, no previous airline experience though lol, good luck with yours Rosanna!

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Yay!!!!!! High five! ~5

Is it your first time too? I am guess so yeah otherwise they will address their genders first in the beginning. I live in the East, you? Guessing you are getting the tube there yeah?

Hey, I live in NW London, yup will defo be getting the tube, Piccadilly line all the way!

Kinda worried about the Cantonese language test as mine is not amazing, especially if they ask for in flight announcements x_x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

khy in London, United Kingdom said: Hey, I live in NW London, yup will defo be getting the tube, Piccadilly line all the way!

Kinda worried about the Cantonese language test as mine is not amazing, especially if they ask for in flight announcements x_x

me too lol although can u have a normal chatting convo? if they ask us to read the flight announcement dont think i can do it either although if its really in it we can practice ahah .... any1 no if the flight announcement thing is in it ?

15 months ago

I found Mandarin a challenge too - tbh it seems more important these days when you trying to get a job in HK cos we are hugely depending on the Chinese economy. It's like the weirdest city where nobody cares about the city's "first language" anymore...(sorry I am really typical HK person really cares about my identity..)

HK based you need to do a Mandarin assessments which is more complicated, it's like you need to translate things in from English to Mandarin. But London based only requires reading out an announcement card in Cantonese / Mandarin. I think the ability of "Reading" Chinese characters is not essential - by the end of the day, if you can service in Cantonese conversation you meet the expectation. (Point it out if I am wrong)

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Welcome, Rosanna. You never know! - When I started this thread I thought no one will be reply this and this thread will be just sitting around lonely...good luck to you! (You are from Glasgow - does that mean you will need to travel to London ?)

Regarding to your visas, you can inform them in an appropriate time. As long as you ensure you can get the partner visas then citizenship, its fine.

I just got my citizenship too.

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: I found Mandarin a challenge too - tbh it seems more important these days when you trying to get a job in HK cos we are hugely depending on the Chinese economy. It's like the weirdest city where nobody cares about the city's "first language" anymore...(sorry I am really typical HK person really cares about my identity..)

HK based you need to do a Mandarin assessments which is more complicated, it's like you need to translate things in from English to Mandarin. But London based only requires reading out an announcement card in Cantonese / Mandarin. I think the ability of "Reading" Chinese characters is not essential - by the end of the day, if you can service in Cantonese conversation you meet the expectation. (Point it out if I am wrong)

i agree with u all the way ..... ive heard longs u can have a conversation its fine .. its prob jus a advantage if u can read the card maybe :S

15 months ago

Salala in London, United Kingdom said: From what I've read the initial stage should be quite relaxed and open. They just want to see how you interact with each other, what impressions you make that sorta thing, and as Acid says the most important thing is to just be yourself and be confident :)

Hello and thank you yph for having the time to come here and talk to us, it's very reassuring to have someone like you around. Would you mind sharing any useful tips with us for the first stage?

Hey Rosanna! Don't worry I'm sure people would turn up here eventually and have the same slot as you do ^^

Last year I was hoping some crew will be assist us too, but unfortunately no. So I know how frustrate you guys are. First stage its just looking for personality, so be yourself, be confidence (They will expect you are nervous as this is an interview, so don't be afraid), DO NOT try to be a leader, get others involve during the conversation and use their names.

Language part its just basic testing on your language level and translating some simple paragraph see whether you can make a Passenger Announcement inflight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

khy in United Kingdom

15 months ago

yph in London, United Kingdom said: Last year I was hoping some crew will be assist us too, but unfortunately no. So I know how frustrate you guys are. First stage its just looking for personality, so be yourself, be confidence (They will expect you are nervous as this is an interview, so don't be afraid), DO NOT try to be a leader, get others involve during the conversation and use their names.

Language part its just basic testing on your language level and translating some simple paragraph see whether you can make a Passenger Announcement inflight.

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering what are your thoughts on the job 1 year in?

khy in United Kingdom

15 months ago

rosanna in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: i agree with u all the way ..... ive heard longs u can have a conversation its fine .. its prob jus a advantage if u can read the card maybe :S

I really do hope so haha, we are on the same boat here, BBC too I guess?

15 months ago

khy in United Kingdom said: I really do hope so haha, we are on the same boat here, BBC too I guess?

yeh thats right :D from the message b4 looks lik u have attended the interview b4 ahah but yeh gd advice :D

Bil in Inchon, Korea, Republic of

15 months ago

Hello everyone! I am so glad i found all of you here!
I will be attending the group assessment on the 11th of Feb at 3pm slots.
I am just wondering how will it be like? Are you guys place according to your language ability?

Bil in Inchon, Korea, Republic of

15 months ago

yph in London, United Kingdom said: Last year I was hoping some crew will be assist us too, but unfortunately no. So I know how frustrate you guys are. First stage its just looking for personality, so be yourself, be confidence (They will expect you are nervous as this is an interview, so don't be afraid), DO NOT try to be a leader, get others involve during the conversation and use their names.

Hi! How long does it take for a group assessment? And i was wondering if i am successful for the group assessment, when will the next stage interview take place? Approximately how many weeks later?

15 months ago

Salala in London, United Kingdom said: Acid, I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about for now, as for next year I do recommend you start applying for your partnership visa early as possible as you need to send off your passport and stuff so you won't be able to fly during that time? My friend who was recruited last year applied for her partner visa after (she had a post grad visa before) and she didn't seem to have a problem with it. Of course it's best to ask the the staff from cx and see what they say anyway.

Rosanna I'm sure you would need to make some sort of intro of yourself so its best to practice and prepare for it. :)

Regarding that you need to apply for a new visas cause out of work for certain period, you will have to liaise with the base office before hand so they can arrange day off for you which will be unpaid obviously!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: CX purchased 27 aircraft (including 4 Boeing 777-300ER passenger aircraft and 8 Boeing 777-200 Freighters) they said on their media center they would begin operations in early 2013. I hope that they will take coupe more FAs on broad.

yph, out of curiosity - do you have any idea of how many people do they recuite out of 10 people in the group? How did you get accepted do you think? (When i go to interview i just so compulsively think that i will screw it up... thats no good) Yes yes, What about self-intro - is it still 2 minutes speaking in front of the people?

Dress code-wise. They mentioned about business attire - is it quite conservative? (Black / navy blue / grey) - any particular colour is a "No-no"? (Bright colours? Since I was thinking to wear some dark classic colour blazer but with some bright colour lining inside to resemble CX's colour..like Red or Green)

I don't think they have specific number they need to pick from each group, as long as they meet what they are looking for, they will be through to next round then see if they are lucky enough to get to the final stage. Last year in my group we had 3 included myself.

For self intro, 2 mins just a guideline for you, not necessary for 2 mins. Just make sure you have clearly say whatever you want to say and have clear point to show why you are here today.

Dresscode, I would say as formal as you can, because this will show your respect to the job and the professional! this is my advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: Ha ha! Sorry what I mean was that "if i haven't forgotten any of the session in the interview"

Language part will be one to one, I am not sure if you still get test for those who cant read chinese.

15 months ago

khy in London, United Kingdom said: Hey, I live in NW London, yup will defo be getting the tube, Piccadilly line all the way!

If you require to attend language test, you will be ask to do inflight announcement and translate too. Be prepared for those technical terms like airbridge, runway, technical problem, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

rosanna in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: me too lol although can u have a normal chatting convo? if they ask us to read the flight announcement dont think i can do it either although if its really in it we can practice ahah .... any1 no if the flight announcement thing is in it ?

It was in it last year! This year... possibly!

15 months ago

Acid in London, United Kingdom said: I found Mandarin a challenge too - tbh it seems more important these days when you trying to get a job in HK cos we are hugely depending on the Chinese economy. It's like the weirdest city where nobody cares about the city's "first language" anymore...(sorry I am really typical HK person really cares about my identity..)

Technically you are correct, altitude wise you are wrong. haha~

Although most of the chances we only require to do cantonese PA inflight, but I had once have to do mandarin PA! BUT of coz if you cant do it, its fine. its not a big deal!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

khy in United Kingdom said: Thanks for the info! I'm wondering what are your thoughts on the job 1 year in?

For me, since I had certain years experience in hospitality, I don't have much difficulties. If you never work in a similar environment previously, you might be struggle on passenger handling or even talk to passenger base on what I observe. Its quite base on your comfortable level to adapt new environment. If you have a strong mindset, you can deal with it within a month or two.

We had a few batchmate quit already becoz the stress level.

Would you mind share your experience so I can give you some advice if i can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Bil in Inchon, Korea, Republic of said: Hi! How long does it take for a group assessment? And i was wondering if i am successful for the group assessment, when will the next stage interview take place? Approximately how many weeks later?

Hi Bil, base on last year, its around 3-4 weeks between each stage of the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

PINOY in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

hello everyone, my interview is on feb 6. 12pm... anyone having theirs then?

15 months ago

Hi pinoy! I have the same time slot as you yay!! nice to meet you :)

Thanks for the advice yph, very helpful x

15 months ago

lucky use 2 sum1 come on here and have the same time slot as me lol 5th feb 12pm ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bil in Inchon, Korea, Republic of

15 months ago

yph in London, United Kingdom said: Hi Bil, base on last year, its around 3-4 weeks between each stage of the interview.

Thank you so much for you reply!
Are u still flying for CX?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

bil in Inchon, Korea, Republic of

15 months ago

anybody is having the group assessment on the 11th of February?
I have no idea what to prepare any idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

PINOY in London, United Kingdom

15 months ago

Salala in London, United Kingdom said: Hi pinoy! I have the same time slot as you yay!! nice to meet you :)

Thanks for the advice yph, very helpful x

i dnt get it coz, dont they separate the tagalog speakers to cantoses or mandarin speakers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.