Coffee, Tea, or POVERTY.....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

ANA in Austin, Texas

63 months ago

I ALSO QUIT FLYING TO BECOME A NURSE. I TOOK EARLY RETIREMENT FROM DAL AND PRAYED MY MINISCULE PENSION WOULD LAST THE TWO YEARS I WAS IN SCHOOL. IT DID AND NOW I'M AN R.N. NO REGRETS TO SAYING GOODBY TO THE FLYING LIFE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lori Sullivan in Clinton Township, Michigan

63 months ago

ANA in Austin, Texas said: I ALSO QUIT FLYING TO BECOME A NURSE. I TOOK EARLY RETIREMENT FROM DAL AND PRAYED MY MINISCULE PENSION WOULD LAST THE TWO YEARS I WAS IN SCHOOL. IT DID AND NOW I'M AN R.N. NO REGRETS TO SAYING GOODBY TO THE FLYING LIFE!

I, too quit NWA after 14 years. The first 5 of which I was on reserve, *paying my dues" to be a line holder. Missed
out on a ton of life. But I had a goal. I was going to be one of those flight attendants after 10 years seniority that could
hold International, work 9-12 days a month and earn 50K. HAH, the job changed and at 14 years seniority, the most junior person was 12 years, witch put me back on reserve, and unable to work my second job that I also had for 14 years to supplement my income. By then the second jobs wages had continued to grow, as I took a 40 % paycut at NWA. Do I miss it? I liked being in a seniority based system. No nepotism, no politics no backstabbing that could do any real damages with the company. And I have got to say, I loved the flight attendants, some of them were the funniest, kindest, strangest, craziest, weirdest people but all GOOD . I probably had a different take on the job. I was from my base-DTW, which meant I did not have to spend time on planning to commute. I also had my other job which did involve politics, nepotism, no seniority consideration--But--It took me all over the world for days and weeks at a time.
And I could work my NWA schedule around it. I had a good balance. I would tell anyone to work for the airline, depending on what there goals are, what their family situation is, what their financial situation is. The airlines rarely schedule any lengthy layovers anymore. You cannot count on really visiting a place in 18 hours (and that is a long layover for an airline) so you need to have money to travel on your days off if seeing the world is your goal. Get a college degree first, that is what I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Skyqueen in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

Lori?
Travel on your days off? Not where I work !
My regional gives most FA's 2 days off after every six days worked. That is after working six days AWAY from home so on those 2 days off you can either go home and wash your uniforms, get your mail, visit your loved ones and get packed to start work again OR try traveling but GOD help you if you are trying to fly non rev!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Skyqueen in Phoenix, Arizona said: Lori?
Travel on your days off? Not where I work !
My regional gives most FA's 2 days off after every six days worked. That is after working six days AWAY from home so on those 2 days off you can either go home and wash your uniforms, get your mail, visit your loved ones and get packed to start work again OR try traveling but GOD help you if you are trying to fly non rev!

Working for a regional is tough. Low pay, lots of legs etc. It was hard traveling
non-rev for me too. Sounds like it is getting even worse. That is one good thing about working for a major carrier,
at the time I was there you could get more that 2 days off in a row, especially if you were willing to trip trade and it was
not during busy times. If you do not have a lot of seniority to lose, try a major carrier, even on reserve you can get more than 2-days off in a row. I know that many airlines have recently offered early-outs to their senior people and are now hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Skyqueen in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

Hi Lori, Thanks for the advice. Yes, there is a world of difference between working for a regional and a major airline but even the majors are changing. I do know that after 10 years of seniority at the regional I would get a similar amount of days off as a new hire (on reserve) at just about any major airline.I have a few friends working at majors that are horrified at the deplorable conditions at the regional.
I am so burnt out and of course 10 yrs older now, I doubt a major would be interested in me when compared to the younger, more energetic applicants.
I haven't heard of any that are hiring and when they do, we all know the competition will be fierce.
I would not be interested in switching to work at the regional airline in another position (gate agent,crewtrack, etc) as our airline doesn't pay much .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

You would get more days off in a row, they have a union contract, and even if that union changes, they will hang in to that clause. There are too may flight attendants fighting to keep those work rules going. If you still want to fly commercial go with the big players, if not try private or cortorate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

happy stew in Muncie, Indiana

61 months ago

can you say BITTER! This is a great career! Yes, we have taken pay cuts...who hasnt in the US lately? However...we have great benfits, great flexibility in schedules and the privelge of seeing the world. 21 years...2 airlines, 911 and still GOING STRONG! UAL FA and proud!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

FLYFLYFLY in Lakewood, California

59 months ago

happy stew in Muncie, Indiana said: can you say BITTER! This is a great career! Yes, we have taken pay cuts...who hasnt in the US lately? However...we have great benfits, great flexibility in schedules and the privelge of seeing the world. 21 years...2 airlines, 911 and still GOING STRONG! UAL FA and proud!!!!!!

Yeah with your 21years you are NOT doing reserve, NOT even on A/B rotation, have better choices on lines of flying and the flying benefit? YOU get called first when on stand by....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jpetnyc in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

happy stew in Muncie, Indiana said: can you say BITTER! This is a great career! Yes, we have taken pay cuts...who hasnt in the US lately? However...we have great benfits, great flexibility in schedules and the privelge of seeing the world. 21 years...2 airlines , 911 and still GOING STRONG! UAL FA and proud!!!!!!

I think happy stew in Muncie, Indiana likes that fact that she "LOST HER PENSION" and keeps getting screwed by UAL. Oh Please, the writing was on the wall. UAL has got to be the most negative, corrupt airline that I have ever worked with. The worst bunch of employees ever. I respect flight attendants, but I dont respect management when their making millions, and were making peanuts, and barely surviving. Give me a break "happy stew in Muncie, Indiana". You probably have 10 cats in your studio apartment, and fly 100 hours a month at 21 years seniority, just to survive. I feel sorry for you. UAL has screwed their employees. Its terrible that you dont see that. I got out before that happened. I suppose YOUR HAPPY eating "leftover food" from passenger trays and giving up your pension, while you TRAVEL the world. GIMME A BREAK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Excusememiss in Avondale, Arizona

50 months ago

Happy Stew most likely does not need to depend solely on her income to survive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

katair777 in Naples, Florida

49 months ago

I too worked for AA for twenty years, there is no glamour in this career it is physically and can be mentally gruling. Sure once you have seniority it is much better. I took early retirement due to health issues (yes from being a slave for twenty years) my back knees and shoulders are wasted, please know this career ages you very FAST even if you take good care of yourself as I did. Really think about this career my suggestion if you really want to fly, only do it for five years travel get vested and get out or grow a pair of wings lol..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

EuropeanDivA in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

I have a question, to all the flight attendants out there, please help me.
I was just recently hired for Delta Connection FA, training starts Sept 27 for 3 weeks.. my sister is getting married in DR and i bought tickets nov 24 - dec 5.. Chances of me going to her wedding are non exsistent right since i will be on reserve? Please help.. what about maybe 3 days at least?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

imadeltaflygirl in Olive Branch, Mississippi

48 months ago

The truth is Miss Diva that there is a SLIGHT chance for you to go, but I wouldn't count on it. You will probably have golden days, which are three days in a row that your company can't call you, but as a junior reserve you may not get it. It also is around Thanksgiving, andthose days off usually always go senior. Good luck.

EuropeanDivA in Brooklyn, New York said: I have a question, to all the flight attendants out there, please help me.
I was just recently hired for Delta Connection FA, training starts Sept 27 for 3 weeks.. my sister is getting married in DR and i bought tickets nov 24 - dec 5.. Chances of me going to her wedding are non exsistent right since i will be on reserve? Please help.. what about maybe 3 days at least?

Air Purser in Oslo, Norway

46 months ago

Sounds like FAs in the US are struggling to get by ... I work 6 days on, 6 days off, and when on Stand By I only miss out on flight allowance, but otherwise Stand By is great as I live on base. I make about USD 70,000 a year - on 5 years seniority flying regional aircraft (Dash 8 Q400) in Norway. On my days off, I travel the world - non rev and preferably in C-class ... so there still can be some glamour, although the job itself is no more glamourous than being a waitress or shop assistant these days ... If any of you speak a European language and can get a work permit in Europe, I strongly recommend you try out working for a European major - our legacy carriers still pay decent wages!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

46 months ago

jpetnyc,

I was wondering how your new career as an RN is going and is it everything you hoped it would be? I'm a trauma/perioperative RN and I also have 24 years flying with a Legacy. My experience is different than yours in that I love to fly and have never seen the poverty side, even in the beginning. Nursing on the other hand is extremely challenging on all levels, especially if choose anything in critical care. There is a big reason why there's a shortage of nursing and not F/As. So, have you found that the grass is greener:) ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vill in Berkeley, California

37 months ago

Brambleton, there is shortage of nurses because the population of sick and old people are continuosly growing while the birth rate(younger people assigned to care for theor elders) is going the opposite direction. This is true to most developed countries. Furthermore,nurses require studies, long training(money! and time!) and a board exam thus discouraging many. Flight attendants have no shortage because the job merely requires high school graduates who know how to smile and trainable(training of how many weeks?) enough to learn emergency drills(thus not much requirements especially for many young Americans who are too lazy to go to College) and the notion(false notion) that you seem to be vacationing all the time. So dont make the Nurse shortage vs non-FA shortage your evidence that FA job is actually "better".. FA job can be fun(at first), but if you are really a mature individual who wants a more stable job, family, future, then you would choose to be a nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

37 months ago

Vill in Berkeley, California said: Brambleton, there is shortage of nurses because the population of sick and old people are continuosly growing while the birth rate(younger people assigned to care for theor elders) is going the opposite direction. This is true to most developed countries. Furthermore,nurses require studies, long training(money! and time!) and a board exam thus discouraging many. Flight attendants have no shortage because the job merely requires high school graduates who know how to smile and trainable(training of how many weeks?) enough to learn emergency drills(thus not much requirements especially for many young Americans who are too lazy to go to College) and the notion(false notion) that you seem to be vacationing all the time. So dont make the Nurse shortage vs non-FA shortage your evidence that FA job is actually "better".. FA job can be fun(at first), but if you are really a mature individual who wants a more stable job, family, future, then you would choose to be a
nurse.

I actually do both, have a family of five and consider myself a relatively mature person. I just started my 25th year flying and I have my MBA/MSN. Flying is still my dream job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DizzyLiz in Buffalo, New York

36 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: I actually do both, have a family of five and consider myself a relatively mature person. I just started my 25th year flying and I have my MBA/MSN. Flying is still my dream job.

I am a nurse who is interested in being a FA. How do you manage to do both? Does your spouse make good money or could you support yourself doing both? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RNorFA in Anchorage, Alaska

22 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: I actually do both, have a family of five and consider myself a relatively mature person. I just started my 25th year flying and I have my MBA/MSN. Flying is still my dream job.

Brambleton....it is so refreshing to hear your positive feedback! I am a critical care RN myself & have been breaking my head whether or not to let that go to be a flight attendant. I am very nervous about the dramatic decrease in salary. I understand some people do both after having some seniority with one or both careers. I have just gotten back into nursing & 3 months into this job. So my question is do you see it feasible to have the energy to do 2 nursing shifts a week still, while starting out as a FA & going thru the reserve period? Thanks so much for any feedback!

22 months ago

DizzyLiz in Buffalo, New York said: I am a nurse who is interested in being a FA. How do you manage to do both? Does your spouse make good money or could you support yourself doing both? Thank you.

DizzyLiz....have you figured this out yet? I a have been deliberating for 2 months whether to stick with being an RN or take my offered position as a FA? Or to figure out if I could do both to remain close to my current income. Any feedback? Thank you!

DizzyLiz in Buffalo, New York

22 months ago

RNorFA in Anchorage, Alaska said: DizzyLiz....have you figured this out yet? I a have been deliberating for 2 months whether to stick with being an RN or take my offered position as a FA? Or to figure out if I could do both to remain close to my current income. Any feedback? Thank you!

I went for 2 interviews and didn't get either so still working as a nurse. I'd take the FA job if you can afford it. I think it would be easier to work your nursing job schedule around a FA schedule. Maybe you can work per diem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AA-US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

Good morning RNs,

I can think of at least a dozen flight attendants at my airline who do both and love to fly more. The ones with less flying seniority will hold PRN or float positions for maximum flexibility. This is probably your best course of action as you start as a reserve. PRN positions at most hospitals usually require around 4 shifts in a pay period with the ability to pick up more, depending on the census. The pay and flexibility will increase and you won't need the benefits from the hospital anymore. I can tell you that the FAs who are also RNs have it made and many do this. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AA-US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

RNorFA in Anchorage, Alaska said: Brambleton....it is so refreshing to hear your positive feedback! I am a critical care RN myself & have been breaking my head whether or not to let that go to be a flight attendant. I am very nervous about the dramatic decrease in salary. I understand some people do both after having some seniority with one or both careers. I have just gotten back into nursing & 3 months into this job. So my question is do you see it feasible to have the energy to do 2 nursing shifts a week still, while starting out as a FA & going thru the reserve period? Thanks so much for any feedback!

Hi there!

I know Brambleton and she manages both just fine. My suggestion is that if you really want to fly, you may have to put your nursing on hold in the very beginning during your training period. You also don't know where you will be based. Once that settles, then you can pick up a PRN position. This is very possible.

21 months ago

DizzyLiz in Buffalo, New York said: I went for 2 interviews and didn't get either so still working as a nurse. I'd take the FA job if you can afford it. I think it would be easier to work your nursing job schedule around a FA schedule. Maybe you can work per diem?

DizzyLiz...thank you for your input, I do appreciate it and I wish you the best of luck if you continue to pursue a position as a FA. NEVER give up on your goal! (-: All my best to you.

21 months ago

AA-US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Good morning RNs,

I can think of at least a dozen flight attendants at my airline who do both and love to fly more. The ones with less flying seniority will hold PRN or float positions for maximum flexibility. This is probably your best course of action as you start as a reserve. PRN positions at most hospitals usually require around 4 shifts in a pay period with the ability to pick up more, depending on the census. The pay and flexibility will increase and you won't need the benefits from the hospital anymore. I can tell you that the FAs who are also RNs have it made and many do this. Good luck.

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I know I would certainly enjoy flying more as well! I think I may have to push thru as a RN a bit longer as I just started at a new facility a few months ago, so I don't have the flexibility yet. It's been a very difficult decision to have to let an offer go as a FA, but I will just hope and know I will go get it again when the time is right! Thank you and all my best to you! (-:

anothersurvivor in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

RNorFA in Anchorage, Alaska said: Brambleton....it is so refreshing to hear your positive feedback! I am a critical care RN myself & have been breaking my head whether or not to let that go to be a flight attendant . I am very nervous about the dramatic decrease in salary. I understand some people do both after having some seniority with one or both careers. I have just gotten back into nursing & 3 months into this job. So my question is do you see it feasible to have the energy to do 2 nursing shifts a week still, while starting out as a FA & going thru the reserve period? Thanks so much for any feedback!

Stick with nursing!

Firecaptain in Corona, California

15 months ago

I'm retiring from the fire department after 32 years and was wondering if any of the airlines would hire a guy that is 57. I plan on working for about 3 or 4 years to get some money for the kids college and get the benefit of low cost travel. Any thoughts or comments.
THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hankmeister in Phoenix, Arizona

12 months ago

Firecaptain in Corona, California said: I'm retiring from the fire department after 32 years and was wondering if any of the airlines would hire a guy that is 57. I plan on working for about 3 or 4 years to get some money for the kids college and get the benefit of low cost travel. Any thoughts or comments.
THANKS

To the age question: Yes, you can get hired.

To the saving money question: IF you have a pension from the fire department that completely supports you, and you just want to sock away your airline pay. As many others here state (in the various forums) your first year's pay is basically minimum wage (when compared to 40 hr wkly job), and goes up yearly after that.

The flying benefits vary by company, time of year (how busy the airline is), and seniority (others senior to you will bump you off flights when necessary).

best
Hankmeister

Tulip9 in Napa, California

6 months ago

Looking for alaska airline forum, I am new to this

Reebs in Hartford, Connecticut

4 months ago

I am a current FA with a a major Airline. I agree with a lot with jpetnyc, not to be negative at all but he/she is str8 forward about what this job entails. There is absolutely nothing glamourous about this FA job. The airline pretty much controls ur life while you're on reserve. To sum it up, it takes a special person to do this job. Anyway, i can go on and on! I've only been doing this for a year and looking to get out ASAP. But to some, this job can be fun and if you live in base it's even better. To each their own!

LegendaryFA in Lenexa, Kansas

6 days ago

I left the FA job about three years ago after doing it for about 5 yeas, no regrets however i do miss some of the people i worked with and some of the international layovers. I worked at two regional airlines and two mainline carriers and one international airline and to sum it all up they were pretty much the same when it comes to life style.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.