Apartment Manager Salary for Small Complexes <25 units

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 133)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California

75 months ago

I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (155) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in San Francisco, California

74 months ago

We manage an 18 unit building. Our apartment is free plus utilities, full cable, insurance and about 42,000 per year. I think that may be a bit high for the area. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Delhi, California

74 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

25 units or not part time or not you are still doing a job and your employer is taking advantage.
If you have experience start seeking a new postion with PAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sheldon in Alhambra, California

74 months ago

i work hard i clean i am fast learner work all hours and time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California

74 months ago

I manage a complex with 22 apartments and my compensation for doing this job is my 1 bedroom apartment, my power and my land line phone. When my electric bill went up during the summer because on really hot days I ran an air conditioner that I had installed, I had to pay for the extra charges on my bill.

I don't do all of the maintenance around here, but I do some of it. I do all of the cleaning when there are vacancies, I schedule the painters, carpet installers, etc. and make sure those jobs are done properly before they leave. I keep the property clean, laundry room clean, pool area clean, some gardening, plants and grass watered, collect rents, interact with residents, take care of noise issues, and other issues.

I post rental ads, take all of the calls, answer all of the emails, decorate the apartments to show, show apartments, run credit rpts, check references, do all of the lease paperwork, dispense keys, and just about anything else you can imagine, except install toilets. (Though I have unclogged a few of them as well as fixed a couple of garbage disposals).

I also write and distribute a monthly newsletter to residents, designed and maintain a database for keeping information about each apartment. From it, you can see when carpet was last installed, by who, color etc., when last painted, make/model & S/N of frige, stove, d/w, and all other details about what's in each apartment.

I pay for my own cable for my tv and I pay for my internet access and use my own computer even though the internet is our main method of advertising when renting apts.
The phone they provide for me doesn't even have caller ID.

I get $100 when I clean a vacant apartment which is several days to a weeks work and the money comes out of the old tenants deposit anyway. I just finished dealing with 4 vacant apartments. I haven't had a day off for almost 8 weeks. Gee does anyone think I'm being taken advantage of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

rose in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

TO Lisa in Costa Mesa, California

YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF BIG TIME! AND I AM NOT EVEN AN APPARTMENT MANAGER. THEY ARE USEING YOU AS A SLAVE AND GIVING YOU BEGGERS WAGES. GET ON YOUR COMPUTER AND START ON A NEW AND UPDATED RESUME TO SEND OUT TO THOSE SEEKING APARTMENT MANAGERS. YOU DESERVE BETTER.

BEST WISHES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

T

72 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

WE manage 55 units, free apartment, free utilities and a salary of about 35k Medical insurance that we have to pay for and no dental. 35k is shared between the two of us.

I feel sorta of robbed too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fired in Palmdale in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

T said: WE manage 55 units, free apartment, free utilities and a salary of about 35k Medical insurance that we have to pay for and no dental. 35k is shared between the two of us.

I feel sorta of robbed too.

Heaven morbid. Only $3,000 a month? Geez, I manage a 56 unit complex and am given a whoping $10 per door. Thats $560 per month mind you and I pay for the untilities for my one-bedroom (a huge 450 square feet, about).

Plus I just got fired. Why? Because two bank refinance inspectors showed up and my bossman property manager did not prepare a dang thing (should I say fix anything?) and didn't clue me at all.

Best part, and my doom, was when he decided to conduct the entire inspection in Spanish (I speak no Spanish and he knows it) and he lied about a fire we had here. Hell, I understood the English words for Fire Department and Liability and the bank inspector saying to me, in English, "So, you had to close the playground because of this one persons actions." I replied "Yes" to that as that is what the Fire Department recommended.

Later, after the male inspector successfully isolated me by side tracking my boss (in Spanish of course) I found myself being quizzed by the female inspector about what happened in the "fire" in the playground.

What really happened was a vandal oriented kid in here dragged a couple of mattresses into the wood play fort and set them on fire although it can't be proven as no one saw him but consider he was caught at exactly this regarding mattresses before. Fire Department came and told me it was a liability and we'd be well served to close the area.

That is what I told the female bank inspector believing my boss had done just that as it all matched from what I heard or deduced from what little Spanish I know, which believe me is pretty much zilch. As I said all I heard was: "Fire Department, Liability, and the inspector repeating to me that the area had been closed because of this one person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

What my boss really told them was that "A kid got stuck up in the tree above the play fort and the Fire Department came and rescued him and said we should close the play ground because of liability."

Do you believe that? Unbeiveable. They ask about a fire, which can easily be seen as the fort has not been removed and clearly it is half burnt along with surrounding trees, so naturally they didn't believe him which is why they cornered me later with him out of earshot.

The bank inspectors popped him on his lie. He gave me a dressing down before leaving telling me I was an idiot because he had never mentioned the word for "fire" in his Spanish and that I blew it. Three days later he fired me, no reason given other than then his verbal "didn't get the $1.75 million refinance and he failed his yearly review so that trickles down", his exact words.

Now I need a job. Really bad part is that I only had this job for 5+ months and that presents a problem. I had hoped to last at least a year in this hell hole but not to be.

Also consider this is a gang banger, drug dealing, run down old complex with tons of problems. Think water: pipes and roofs.

Quite frankly I have more experience with apartment building disasters, on almost a daily basis, and my experience level is more likely closer to 5 years given what I've been thorugh in the last 5 months and what most Managers have to deal with, which certainly is a lot less than what I've dealt with. Trust me.

Any one need a good flexible Manager, and cheap?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

T

72 months ago

Wow, I would think LA would pay more. You are working for the wrong people. Do a search for apartment manager jobs. I know my company gets desperate on occasion and if you have an inkling of experience you will more than likely get hired. I'd locate somewhere where you don't have to be bilingual tho, it's awfully hard to get along with tenants or a boss that you really cant communicate with. I also think you are being grossly underpaid and you may consider suing, as you should have been at least making minimum wage....
You must also remember that when your are "managing" a property, you are supposed to "manage". If you felt things needed to be done there, it is your responsibilty to do them and to communicate with the property owner or management company (in writing) on the things that need to be arrested. You are their eyes and ears and that's what they pay you for, it's definitely not a free ride. I have a lot of crazy things happen here too, I could write a book. It's a live soap opera and would make some good reality TV.
Good Luck with your future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

T said: Wow, I would think LA would pay more. You are working for the wrong people. Do a search for apartment manager jobs. I know my company gets desperate on occasion and if you have an inkling of experience you will more than likely get hired. I'd locate somewhere where you don't have to be bilingual tho, it's awfully hard to get along with tenants or a boss that you really cant communicate with. I also think you are being grossly underpaid and you may consider suing, as you should have been at least making minimum wage....
You must also remember that when your are "managing" a property, you are supposed to "manage". If you felt things needed to be done there, it is your responsibilty to do them and to communicate with the property owner or management company (in writing) on the things that need to be arrested. You are their eyes and ears and that's what they pay you for, it's definitely not a free ride. I have a lot of crazy things happen here too, I could write a book. It's a live soap opera and would make some good reality TV.
Good Luck with your future.

Appreciate your comment. How big is your company, as in number of complexes available that I might be able to manage?

Oh, I informed them. I'm a professional in what I do, including apartment complex managing. I hold a current valid real estate license in California I might mention.

I faxed in daily reports. Everything that happened over the weekend I faxed in on Sunday night. All the things that need fixing, changed, or items that needed to be addressed such as beehives (you name it) were included.

Over a 5 month period my paper trail is currently measured at 5 inches in height. Tenant disputes, property damage by tenants, domestic stabbing, gun shots, pool maintenance, 3-day notices, suggestions regarding evictions, summary of applicant information from my point of view, leases, noise violations, pool violations, pipe leakage (constant here as they only clamp the leak),

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

roof leakage (Thats going to be a biggie I going to miss by not being here as this is north of LA and is desert but when it rains it comes down hard. I was dreading it actually. Btw this is LA county but not LA itself.), posted warnings, curfew violations, doggie issues (lots), advertising suggestions (they finally did that my way and I slapped them with 5 one-bedroom leases in 6 weeks, not bad hey?), landscaping interaction with the crew (this place is spread out in 7 buildings and HUGE, it takes the gardening guys 3 hours to maintain this place and half of the grass was dead when I pulled in, green now).

And I'm good with people. The greater majority respected me for stopping most of the drug dealing in the complex and the hanger around types even if they didn't like me. Generally a lot of people just consider a Manager the enemy from what I have discovered here and building any kind of friendship is a risky deal.

As far as differt languages I understand that. This complex is about 1/3 white, black, and hispanic. Some can't speak English. Is ok, if there is a problem I just write it up and give it to them. A dime gets you a dollar that they find someone to translate rather quickly. :)

As a Manager I have only one set of rules. They apply to everybody. No favortism. End story. Period.

I NEED A JOB. I'll relocate to anywhere. I'm single, 59, almost no friends that I can visit due to distance. Come from Minnesota. Well, left there at age 12 for California. But I know small town midwest etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Surfer in Orange, California

72 months ago

Look... Even for less of 30 apts... some managers have to pay half of rent... I see you as a prospective future apt. manager... Look to make a career somewhere else.. If you jump in it.. you may regret later...

Better is to go to big management companies which have well established polices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Surfer in Orange, California

72 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I manage a complex with 22 apartments ..

Welcome to APT MGRS CLUB...

You are ok I think... I receive only half rent for managing 25 apts.

How many years you are there? Just 4 months so far?

Try to rent to good tenants to avoid headache.. not many kids on property , or party students, young single adults.. (unless you figure out they are quiet (you have to call previous manager to see how he/she behave on old place... and be sure they telling you the truth) and forget about $100 vacant cleaning jobs

Having same residents for longer time, they learn the rules and try to emphasize to them to respect neighbors and be friendly (not too much, to start making party together)

In meantime go for other interviews, to seek a "career advancement" with other property/mgmt. Do not tell to your mgmt until you are not officially accepted on other property.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Surfer in Orange, California said: Look... Even for less of 30 apts... some managers have to pay half of rent... I see you as a prospective future apt. manager... Look to make a career somewhere else.. If you jump in it.. you may regret later...

Better is to go to big management companies which have well established polices.

Well, as you noted part of the problem is what you get in payment as a Manager. If it is 30 or less units and in a relative quiet building that is new enough not to have major apartments the general pay is your apartment and $10 a door.

But here in southern California more and more property companies simply lean towards placing a Hispanic, with no experience but with skills to repair, into the building at below level pay. This usually computes to a female Hispanic that can speak English and a boyfriend/husband who can't speak a word of English. This is what happened at the building I left to take this particular Management position. They got half off their apartment and loved it.

In other words people are placed in Manager positions where they do nothing. In the case I just cited all complaints were directed to the property management office and even the rent was required to be mailed in to the property management company. The Manager had no duties at all except to be there for purposes of complying with the law.

Much like yourself getting only 1/2 off your apartment and no pay at all.

When you hit plus 50 units the story changes. Too much work. And if the building is in slum conditions, like mine, the work is incredible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nobody in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

I manage a complex with a 116 units. Believe this or not I only recieve 25,000 a year and no apartment.

Fred in San Diego, California

71 months ago

By law, in CA., you MUST be paid at least min wage. I just won two lawsuits over this issue. The law is very clear on this in CA.

Here's a link that will help you, read it....

www.apartment-manager-law.com/Resident-Apartment-Manager-Law.htm

desertstar55 in Palm Desert, California

69 months ago

Hi,
I have been a land lady for over 2 years, i get my apartment and 360.00 a month i am to be here 9-6 m-f and on call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California

69 months ago

Fired in Palmdale in Los Angeles, California said: Well, as you noted part of the problem is what you get in payment as a Manager. If it is 30 or less units and in a relative quiet building that is new enough not to have major apartments the general pay is your apartment and $10 a door.

But here in southern California more and more property companies simply lean towards placing a Hispanic, with no experience but with skills to repair, into the building at below level pay. This usually computes to a female Hispanic that can speak English and a boyfriend/husband who can't speak a word of English. This is what happened at the building I left to take this particular Management position. They got half off their apartment and loved it.

In other words people are placed in Manager positions where they do nothing. In the case I just cited all complaints were directed to the property management office and even the rent was required to be mailed in to the property management company. The Manager had no duties at all except to be there for purposes of complying with the law.

Much like yourself getting only 1/2 off your apartment and no pay at all.

When you hit plus 50 units the story changes. Too much work. And if the building is in slum conditions, like mine, the work is incredible.

i have made copies of the california min wage law and posted it on my board it shows no one can be paid less than min wage for being a land lord or any job. and only 2/3 of value of rent, can be charged for rent. money you earn can go for rent.If there are more than 16 units it is law they must have a person live on site. my owners are ticked off at me, oh because i read and see
they were not paying me what i should be paid. making me think oh free rent is great, its not free, and they owe me alot over the amount of the apartment.

69 months ago

rose in Sacramento, California said: TO Lisa in Costa Mesa, California

YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF BIG TIME! AND I AM NOT EVEN AN APPARTMENT MANAGER. THEY ARE USEING YOU AS A SLAVE AND GIVING YOU BEGGERS WAGES. GET ON YOUR COMPUTER AND START ON A NEW AND UPDATED RESUME TO SEND OUT TO THOSE SEEKING APARTMENT MANAGERS. YOU DESERVE BETTER.

BEST WISHES

all property owners not paying min wage and in writing about paying on your apartment should be reported and stopped we work hard, and are taken advantage of, enough

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Surfer in Orange, California said: Look... Even for less of 30 apts... some managers have to pay half of rent... I see you as a prospective future apt. manager... Look to make a career somewhere else.. If you jump in it.. you may regret later...

you must be paid at least min wage, and 2/3 of your rent on apartment you pay this is cal law,even at min wage most of us can earn a decent living being property managers ans have a life, other wise they run us into the ground and we cant live on the so called small( salary) jerks they have used us long enough.

69 months ago

CAA is another page i copied and hung on my board in my office.
compensation of resident managers) rental value and credit
also shows how much the property owners are to deduct out of a pay check according to labor codes
and our fica,sdi,federal tax,futa,sui,worker comp.
they can not 1099 an employee and not pay into our taxes.
its the law

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Metoo in Eugene, Oregon

69 months ago

My wife and I manage 2 complex's, about 50 unit's total and we make $1500.00 per month and apartment + utility's +
phone for "free". We are on call 24/7 and both work 40hrs. + a week!! We are getting ripped off hard. It is one of the most stressful job I have ever had.....My wife and I fight all the time now and have no time for our one child....If you are thinking about this as a long term thing ? FOR GET IT!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

69 months ago

You and your wife fight all the time? That's not good. One of the best ways to gain trust and respect from the tenants is to show that you and your wife are a united couple. You make about the same money that we are making. If you have been at your property long enough, the "on call 24/7" thing sort of diminishes. Our tenants know not to bother us after 3pm weekdays or on the weekends unless it is a major emergency like a bad water leak or something electrical that could cause a fire. You have to teach them how to treat you. We bend over backwards for ours from 9 to 3, but the rest of the day belongs to us. It's all about respect. We walk the grounds together every morning and evening, holding hands. I have had a lot of the tenants tell us how much they appreciate seeing a husband and wife that love each other. It gives them security I guess. Maybe property management isnt for you, but with the economy the way it is right now, it's excellent to have a secure job and a roof over my head, I love it. Good luck to you in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

happy new year in San Mateo, California

69 months ago

Hi, my wife and I manage a 21 unit apartment building in san mateo, ca. We get a free 2 bedroom apt for compensation. The phone and internet are paid. We've been here 2 years and love it. We have good tenants with minimal bs. Our agreement with the owners is to work 15-20 hours a week. We do the leases, light maintenance, light painting, cleaning, post ads for vacancys etc. We get paid for repairs like replacing toilets, major painting. If we work more than 15-20 hours we get paid. Since my wife and I have our own business, being a apartment manager works well. We have strict rules about noise, and to this date we've only had to evict 1 tenant. Some of the older tenants here thanked us for taking good care of the building, the prevous managers never repaired anything, so it made our jobs hard in the begining. Having a background in plumbing helps, but I've learned a alot by watching repair techs. If you want to earn a living just as a apartment manager, I suggest a few things. 1, you most likely have to manage a building with 35units or more to make a decent living, as in my area most managers will get about 35000 a year depeding on what you do and skills you have. Or, find a building like ours 20 or so units, and use your down time selling things on ebay or work a graveyard job. 3. Try being a resident manager in self-storage place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melaniet in Omaha, Nebraska

69 months ago

Re: IRS taxes on free apartment?
Does anyone know whether the property owner or manager who receives a free apt as part of their salary has to pay taxes on that apartment (as in it's counted as part of their income)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

69 months ago

I havent had to include it as income on my taxes. Only my salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melaniet in Omaha, Nebraska

69 months ago

Needing advice here: will make it as short as possible. (I know the topic list says under 25 units but I am hoping someone can give me some advice and I couldn’t find a forum for managers with more than 25 units). I manage 105 units, work directly for the owner, not a management company. I am 50 yrs old with about 15 years of property management experience. The owner is a great person who owns apprx. 1000 units in complexes around the city. 33 of the 105 units that I manage are in an older section of the property which he is considering selling off. One prospective buyer is a family member of the owner’s and the other is his friend. According to the owner the prospective buyers would like me to continue to manage those 33 units as always. The only changes that might be made are: they might want me to come in 2 hours earlier each day (not a big problem for me at all) and they might want me to take a free apartment as part of my salary. The apt doesn’t have to be at the complex I manage.

My daughter runs the owner’s main investment company offices, my husband does all of our vacancy cleaning – it’s a small, family oriented company that I love working for – I always say I have the best job in the world!

Here’s my problem: I already own my own home. Granted it’s a mobile home (but its in a very nice, quiet, safe area of town) and I own it free and clear, I have a nice yard and garden, great neighbors – and nobody can take it away or hold it over my head – which is a huge comfort to me. In my years of property management I’ve had several experiences with owners deciding to sell the property and the new prospective owners say they want to keep current staff in place (which I have yet to see a new owner do). I wasn’t even going to go back into property management because of not wanting my job and my home wrapped up in a neat little package that the property owner could sell out from under me. Been there, did that, don’t want it to happen again.

So the probl

happy new year in San Mateo, California

69 months ago

Hi We work for a 21 unit building. We get free rent only for doing about 4 hours a days work. Not bad really. They pay us for cleaning apts or anything extra at $25 per hour. Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

the law is in the state of calif you must be paid at least min wage, and only 2/3 of pay toward the rent if they want to charge you rent.
that way owners cant run you into the ground like i have if your going to be 24 hrs dont you think the law is right why would any one work for free????????????????

feelingstupid in Arcadia, California

67 months ago

all the comments are like a bulb going off in my head! most of you get paid, or utilities, phone, internet, et al??? I have had my manager's job for 20 years and I don't make a penny! Not minimum wage, not phone costs, just an apt. without utilities and am expected to work 6 days a week. What did I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

wow you never knew that they have to pay you a real pay check you do a real job ya know? and we take care of their property like children, and they think we dont earn what someone at taco bell earns, so sad, i know im there too
my attorney is ready to deal with them and get me all my back pay

67 months ago

the law in calif is min wage and owners can only charge you 2/3 of the going rate on rent you end up with a decent pay,
i have an attorney and im taking my people to court for hurting me by not paying me at least min wage,

Jerry in Orange, California

66 months ago

I manage parttime. My owner gives me an apartment free, but I pay him a check & he pays me the exact amount back. I do not want him to include it in my income because I'll have to pay taxes on it. Is it alright to just call it a free apartment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

t in modesto

66 months ago

If he's paying it back to you in a check you can bet it will be considered income. I'd ask him how he files... just to be sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

no he cant do that, you must be paid at least min wage, if they have over 16 apartments you have to live on site or they cant have a buisness, and they can only charge you 451.87 for you apartment against your min wage check, its the cal law i know im going to court for my back pay

66 months ago

feelingstupid in Arcadia, California said: all the comments are like a bulb going off in my head! most of you get paid, or utilities, phone, internet, et al??? I have had my manager's job for 20 years and I don't make a penny! Not minimum wage, not phone costs, just an apt. without utilities and am expected to work 6 days a week. What did I do?

take them to court, there are 5 attorneys in ca that go after the people breaking the and hurting hard working people, go get your 2 rs back pay

slave 2newowner in Hayward, California

65 months ago

My building used to be nice then it was sold to the biggest slumlord ever. He kept me on a manager because my tenants love me and my daughter was graduating in a month and moving wasn't an option. 1st thing he did was take away 1/2 my salary then my daughter ran away from home, I was devastated, he gave me 2 days to get over it. Knowing I didn't want to leave in case she ever came back (almost a year now and I haven't seen her) he took advantage of my situation and eventually took the rest of my pay stating that all his other managers only get a discount on rent so I should be grateful. He brought in horrible tenants from all sorts of programs cause they pay more and a week ago a boy was shot and killed on my doorstep. This was a person who I had given a 30day notice to move a few months ago after a guest of theirs tried to attack me and because it was state paid he told them they could stay without even telling me. Now he knows I told him this would happen and the tenants all know he is partially to blame too and the building is a mess, I think he is going to fire me just so he can cover up his negligence...and having drained my saving and no jobs around I'm in a panic...can anybody help me decide what route to go next? I have been trying to find lawyers and agencies to help me and my tenants for months but none will help us.Any ideas? Anyone?

Concerned in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Hey there i have been doing P.M for over 10 years, I have always with held a stable position with the company I began with. Working my way up I built a very strong relationship with my owners. I decided to go with them once my building sold taking a 1200.00 paycut to go to a much smaller building and less responsibility than I am used to. I now make 1000 a month with a free unit, I am feasible with that but I was informed today that they want their employees to go on 1099's. What does this actually mean for me. How does my unit stay safeguarded ss I need to make sure my rights and what I have worked for is protected. What advice can you give me

T

64 months ago

They are doing something illegal when they've asked you to file a 1099. I wouldnt go there unless you have some other special agreement with them. They are asking you to be "self employed".

Lucas in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

feelingstupid in Arcadia, California said: all the comments are like a bulb going off in my head! most of you get paid, or utilities, phone, internet, et al??? I have had my manager's job for 20 years and I don't make a penny! Not minimum wage, not phone costs, just an apt. without utilities and am expected to work 6 days a week. What did I do?

It's what you didn't do that's the problem..Demand your Cal. Law Rights. And start getting compensated (NOW!!)

64 months ago

the apartment managers can not be 1099 and over 16 units must live on site, i have a law suit going on against my bosses for 1099, never paying me min wage, its a big deal i have a great attorney in la
its all in ca min wage law under house keeping

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

can you please forward me any information that can help me with this at rush2danger@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California said: the apartment managers can not be 1099 and over 16 units must live on site, i have a law suit going on against my bosses for 1099, never paying me min wage, its a big deal i have a great attorney in la
its all in ca min wage law under house keeping

I would hate to do anything like that with my owners, even though since I been with them through 3 sales and helped with the acquisitions and transitions of that I pretty much handled everything for them. But taking a 1200 paycut every pay period now has taken its toll on my stress level. They have done everything they can do to make me happy which on top my salary i get commissions for every unit leased. I am still get same salary and still have my comped unit but hard to live off of 800-900 a month (granted I get no commissions)

and now have been asked to 1099at the same salary and same terms but wouldn't i have to pay insurance taxes and costs myself if i decide to do this

susan.ruiz72@yahoo.com in Tijuana, Mexico

64 months ago

l will lick to a mar

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan.ruiz72@yahoo.com in Tijuana, Mexico

64 months ago

yes l will do so l live in san diego

Justice For All in Oakland, California

64 months ago

Fred in San Diego, California said: By law, in CA., you MUST be paid at least min wage. I just won two lawsuits over this issue. The law is very clear on this in CA.

Here's a link that will help you, read it....

www.apartment-manager-law.com/Resident-Apartment-Manager-Law.htm

Thank you so much for the information. My daughter has been the resident manager at an apartment complex for at least 5 years and she's never received more than a free apartment. At first the property manager was paying her $10.00 per hour to clean vacant apartments when tenants moved out. But she didn't want to pay more than 3 hours worth no matter how long it took my daughter to clean some of the really dirty apartments. Now, the property manager has one of the company's handymen to clean the apartment with no extra pay or the tenant will clean it and get a reduced cleaning deposit fee. My daughter has wanted to talk with the actual owner of the apartment complex regarding getting paid wages, but the property manager (who's the resident manager of my apartment building) will not give her any information on how to contact him. The property manager said that none of the resident managers receive a salary and some don't receive a free apartment either. I know for a fact that one of the resident managers at another property is paid a $200.00 month stipend plus has a free apartment. I know this because I worked with his girlfriend. My daughter is afraid to pursue the matter with the property manager because she thinks she'll be fired for asking for wages. I think my daughter should contact the Legal Aid for legal help in getting her wages that have been due to her. If the property owner or manager retaliates by firing her, we have another reason to sue them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justice For All in Oakland, California

64 months ago

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California said: take them to court, there are 5 attorneys in ca that go after the people breaking the and hurting hard working people, go get your 2 rs back pay

Hi, could you please give me the names of the 5 attorneys. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fred in Homer, Alaska

64 months ago

Justice For All in Oakland, California said: Hi, could you please give me the names of the 5 attorneys. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you so much.

All of these, at the link below, will do it and do it right. Through them try to get Mr. Tracy, they will know him and how to contact him. Here's the link...

www.apartment-manager-law.com/contact.htm

Missouri in Kansas City, Missouri

60 months ago

If someone could please help. I am managing a small complex (19 units) and live on-site. The question: What are Missouri laws on free apartment, reduced rent apartment for Managers? I have been told because of President Clinton changes have been made where there are no more free apartments? I have also been told because of the title of "Manager" I have to be paid a minimum each week? I have no problem in my apartment being income if it is free, but if they are charging me rent, how can that still be called income? In my understanding income is something added to not subtracted?????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.