Apartment Manager Salary for Small Complexes <25 units

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 132)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Fred in Homer, Alaska

63 months ago

Amanda in Visalia, California said: You know I just started being a manager in a complex of 20 apts. I took over for the last manager who was elderly and ill. I have never done this in my life but I totally get the feeling I'm getting ripped off. I get free rent and that is it. I pay my utilities and the land line that is here has been here forever that I know of and all of a sudden now the owner wants to get it shut off and wants me to get a phone in my name because he is trying to cut down on costs. We do all the maintainance ourselves unless its something that requires a professional. The only reason that I'm still here is because I would be homeless if I left. My husband has been fighting with Social Security Disability for almost 2 years and our monthly income consists of $300 and $300 foodstamps. I would say something to the owner but I'm afraid to be kicked out on the street. Wish me luck...lol.

Under CA law you MUST be paid at least minimum wage. Also under the law any property that is over 16 units MUST have a res manager. I've helped many others get what they are worth in CA. If you'd like to contact me feel free and I'll tell you how to get paid, under the law. I do it for free so don't worry about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

looking for an aggressive lawyer in Hayward, California

63 months ago

ok "Fred in Homer, Alaska" How do I reach you to get this information to get help from a lawyer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dgc in Huntington Beach, California

60 months ago

Fred in Homer, Alaska said: Under CA law you MUST be paid at least minimum wage. Also under the law any property that is over 16 units MUST have a res manager. I've helped many others get what they are worth in CA. If you'd like to contact me feel free and I'll tell you how to get paid, under the law. I do it for free so don't worry about that.

Hi I been the manager of 71 apts in HB for 15 yr.I been taking for a ride by this sob and would like to return the favier If you can help my email is (bolsa@verizon.net)Thanks Darrell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MayraM in Salinas, California

60 months ago

Fred in Homer, Alaska said: Under CA law you MUST be paid at least minimum wage. Also under the law any property that is over 16 units MUST have a res manager. I've helped many others get what they are worth in CA. If you'd like to contact me feel free and I'll tell you how to get paid, under the law. I do it for free so don't worry about that.

I just accepted a job as a manager in a 38 unit complex.
They offered me free rent which = to $900.00 a month + utilities, phone and internet.
Salary of $500.00 a month
I feel that is extremely low.
Am i correct in thinking this isn't right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mossmgrlaw

60 months ago

MayraM in Salinas, California said: I just accepted a job as a manager in a 38 unit complex.
They offered me free rent which = to $900.00 a month + utilities, phone and internet.

I suggest you go to my website at mossmgrlaw.com and read the information there. After you have read it, I would be glad to talk with you if you want to give me a call or email me directly. My info is on my website.

Fred in Homer, Alaska

60 months ago

MayraM in Salinas, California said: I just accepted a job as a manager in a 38 unit complex.

I suggest you contact Mr. Moss, he specializes in this area of law. You can reach him through his website at www.mossmgrlaw.com/

T in Modesto, California

60 months ago

I manage 55 units, get 1300 a month, free rent and utilities. I've never done the math, but I'm happy with it.
I dont get internet or cable or free laundry, I wish I did tho.

bolsa in Huntington Beach, California

60 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I manage a complex with 22 apartments and my compensation for doing this job is my 1 bedroom apartment, my power and my land line phone. When my electric bill went up during the summer because on really hot days I ran an air conditioner that I had installed, I had to pay for the extra charges on my bill.

I don't do all of the maintenance around here, but I do some of it. I do all of the cleaning when there are vacancies, I schedule the painters, carpet installers, etc. and make sure those jobs are done properly before they leave. I keep the property clean, laundry room clean, pool area clean, some gardening, plants and grass watered, collect rents, interact with residents, take care of noise issues, and other issues.

I post rental ads, take all of the calls, answer all of the emails, decorate the apartments to show, show apartments, run credit rpts, check references, do all of the lease paperwork, dispense keys, and just about anything else you can imagine, except install toilets. (Though I have unclogged a few of them as well as fixed a couple of garbage disposals).

I also write and distribute a monthly newsletter to residents, designed and maintain a database for keeping information about each apartment. From it, you can see when carpet was last installed, by who, color etc., when last painted, make/model & S/N of frige, stove, d/w, and all other details about what's in each apartment.

I pay for my own cable for my tv and I pay for my internet access and use my own computer even though the internet is our main method of advertising when renting apts. b
The phone they provide for me doesn't even have caller ID.

I get $100 when I clean a vacant apartment which is several days to a weeks work and the money comes out of the old tenants deposit anyway. I just finished dealing with 4 vacant apartments. I haven't had a day off for almost 8 weeks. Gee does anyone think I'm being taken advantage of?

Bei

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Being Homeless is not that bad [[or jail]]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brent Williams in Houston, Texas

60 months ago

Lisa,
Would you mind if I shared your story/question with my group? We have a really active group of multifamily professionals, and I think they would like hearing and responding to this. Is that ok?

Thanks!

Brent

mossmgrlaw

60 months ago

bolsa in Huntington Beach, California said: Bei

You almost certainly are being taken advantage of! Go to our website at mossmgrlaw.com and after you have read the information there, feel free to give me a call.

dgc

59 months ago

let them take you to court

BTFmind in Newport Beach, California

59 months ago

Resident Manager and responsibilities + "free rent" and compensations is a huuuuge issue that must be taken care, otherwise you live in fear loose even the crumbs the Owners give you.

Dexter Davison in Greensboro, North Carolina

58 months ago

Hi. A family member is buying a small apartment complex near me (7 units) and has asked me to manage it. We have a home in the area, and I will not be living on site. What should I ask for my monthly management fee? Is there a set percentage of rent that is standard for a manager to receive? I will just be filling vacancies, doing light maintenance etc.

Know there is a lot more to it than meets the eye, and since I have never done this before, I would just like to set up an arrangement where I am compensated fairly for my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

58 months ago

First off, don't agree to anything before you educate yourself thoroughly on landlord/tenant law, as well as housekeeper labor law in your state. At least in CA, the property manager can be personally liable for certain violations; the idea of that alone should give you pause to really know what you're getting into.

Typically, a full-service property management company will charge between 5% and 10% of total gross, collected rent as their fee. They will also charge for any expenditures they have to make out of pocket themselves (to call the plumber, improvements, etc.); such costs are never considered part of that percentage fee.

For a complex like that, I would charge a per-hour fee for the work. That makes calculation of pay/compensation a lot less complicated than a percentage of rent or the like. I would also make specific arrangements on how expenses will be paid... and don't agree to front them yourself.

With a complex that small, it is common to have a tenant do the everyday chores for a small discount on rent. You might consider that as part of your arrangement, it will save you daily trips to the complex yourself.

But really, heed this advice: if you want to keep your family or friends, never do business with them. If things go wrong with the apt complex and your family member blames you, it will poison your family relationship and those around you both. I'm getting out of a family real estate partnership right now because it's not fun, I would never do it for the couple of hundred a month I might make from managing just seven units.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

geocamacho@msn.com in Palm Springs, California

58 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

I manage a 12 unit apt complex in Palm Desert CA.I get half of the rent free and they pay me 5% of all the rent collected.

58 months ago

geocamacho@msn.com in Palm Springs, California said: I manage a 12 unit apt complex in Palm Desert CA.I get half of the rent free and they pay me 5% of all the rent collected.

Is your landlord doing it right? There needs to be a voluntary, signed agreement between you that your labor offsets the (partial) free rent you get. Also, they need to be keeping a timesheet on your work and compensating you at a rate at least equal to minimum wage for that free rent offset.

ShawnBrown1969 in Palmdale, California

54 months ago

Debra in San Francisco, California said: We manage an 18 unit building. Our apartment is free plus utilities, full cable, insurance and about 42,000 per year. I think that may be a bit high for the area. Hope that helps.

How do you get into managing ?

Scarlett in Oakland, California

54 months ago

I started years ago as a leasing agent with eventual promotions then wound up with my own marketing company opening new luxury communities and working with manager to train lease staff, conduct market evaluations and justify rent increases in California, Arizona and Utah. Years later, having mostly retired, I sort of talked my way into managing a small property (similar to how I got my first clients for my company - telling them they could not afford to NOT hire me...). It is a whole new world out there, however, with few jobs and lots of applicants...

Charlotte in San Jose, California

53 months ago

I manage a very large rental home with 11 units in Los Gatos, CA.

I post rental ads, take all of the calls, answer all of the emails, show units, accept applications, and fax applications to the owner using my own money.

I keep the property clean, laundry room clean, some gardening, maintain the plants and fruit trees, interact with residents, take care of tenant issues, and other issues. I keep tenants informed of any repairs or inspections being scheduled. I settle disputes and do my best to keep the tenants as content as possible. I keep the owner informed of any property issues and repairs needed.

I pay for cable TV and internet for myself and for the tenants, and charge them a minimal fee, and have to pay the bill whether or not I am reimbursed. I use my own computer even though the internet is our only method of advertising when renting units. I also use my own phone. I also provide some of the furnishings in the common areas.

For all of this I get $50 off my rent each month (I am in one of the units). I get no wages. I was doing this mainly for the experience so I can find a job as an apartment manager. I have been manager here for more than 2 years. What are my rights as manager of a rental home as opposed to an apartment complex? Are they the same, or am I SOL?

53 months ago

Charlotte in San Jose, California said: For all of this I get $50 off my rent each month (I am in one of the units). I get no wages. I was doing this mainly for the experience so I can find a job as an apartment manager. I have been manager here for more than 2 years. What are my rights as manager of a rental home as opposed to an apartment complex? Are they the same, or am I SOL?

Your rights are almost certainly the same.

Do you have a formal, written employment agreement? If not, then your landlord is almost certainly in violation of employment and housekeeper law in California. You MUST be paid at least minimum wage for all the work you do. Your landlord can take your work hours and use it to offset whatever discount you get on rent. But it sounds like you are doing well more than six hours a month of work (since minimum wage in CA is at least $8/hr).

It is also not legal to require your employees (such as you are) to pay for such things as you do without being reimbursed.

Private message me and we can chat more about this if you'd like. But from what you've said, you are getting screwed and would have a very good case if you ever decided to take your LL to court.

53 months ago

Do you hate yourself,THATS CRAZY

mossmgrlaw

53 months ago

Charlotte in San Jose, California said: I manage a very large rental home with 11 units in Los Gatos, CA.
For all of this I get $50 off my rent each month (I am in one of the units). I get no wages. I was doing this mainly for the experience so I can find a job as an apartment manager. I have been manager here for more than 2 years. What are my rights as manager of a rental home as opposed to an apartment complex? Are they the same, or am I SOL?

The applicable California Wage Order INCLUDES "rooming houses", which seems to fit your situation. You are probably owed $8.00 an hour in wages for every hour you worked, plus an equal amount in what are called Liquidated Damages, plus attorneys fees. Go to mossmgrlaw.com and read what you find. You may then call me at the number listed on the site (or Email me) and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

superman90304 in Inglewood, California

53 months ago

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. i was reading through your comments and I have been amazed at the things that some of these owners and management companies do to cut a corner or the entire block. i am currently in a similar situation as alot of you and i wanted some feed back about it. i currently live in a 11 unit apartment in inlgewood california and i was thinking about cutting out the middle man and becoming full time manager of these apts.As of right now i am only recieving 150$ dicount a month and dont do much but complain about the noise and disturbencese and keep the place clean. but it is starting to get worse with the new tenants coming in here. i since then have spoken to the new owners about cutting the management company out and becoming full time manager with all the perks and responsibility. my question is what perks are good for my situation and what would be reasonable. i have been onsite manager for about 2 years now at this location and havent really been happy with the people that have moved in here.i always complain to the company but they never do anything about it. the owner of the company just wants his percentage of the rent that the tenants take to him at his office and thats it.My son also got very sick in here when we first moved in because the old paint was lead based and they didnt even finish painting the doors,kitchen and bathroom. i had to finish painting and only after my son developed a harsh cough after 3 months and had to be taken to the hospital because of a 105 degree temperature 5 months later do to the lead in the house.he still has that terrible cough too.Thank you all in advance.

mindy in Walnut Creek, California

51 months ago

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California said: Hi I manage 36 units apartments, been here 2 years and have rented to over 30 new tennants. I get my apartment and electric paid no cable no medical no sick days no vacations, I get paid $360.00 month I know its crap, I made $250.00 as an assistant manager and got free apartment and phone, cable and utilities, in 1989''''''''''''''''' what is wrong with this picture..................
Barbara

I manage a 30 unit , I get a free 2 bedroom apt. they pay me 80 a month , I have been here 5 years and they just started paying my pg&e , my husband gets 10 an hour for major work which was suppose to be light maintance now is more like contractor work , plus we do all ground cleaning , mantaing the plants trees , lawn ,ect.. cleaning the pool , testing the pool , garbage , laundry rooms , all of it , I do all the renting , paperwork , rental agreements , collecting rent deposits , handling disputes , posting notices ,run credits checks , showing , posting the adds not just for my complex but the owners two others....I get paid for milege .28 cents per mile , I believe it should be 50cents , the only way we really survive is my husbands other job with great benifits ,the only reason why we stay is because the they are really great people to work with , even though I feel we should get a little more pay , it is hard to find a job I can raise my son with , this job I can be here and nobody has to watch him , and my boss is really good to him and us , so sometimes we sacrifice less for more , and be able to control the kind of envirement we live in is a bonus , so if being under paid has no other benifits than it may not be worth it , but if there is , well you need to ask yourself if the good out weighs the bad

mossmgrlaw

51 months ago

mindy in Walnut Creek, California said: I manage a 30 unit , I get a free 2 bedroom apt. they pay me 80 a month , I have been here 5 years and they just started paying my pg&e , my husband gets 10 an hour for major work which was suppose to be light maintance now is more like contractor work , plus we do all ground cleaning , mantaing the plants trees , lawn ,ect.. cleaning the pool , testing the pool , garbage , laundry rooms , all of it , I do all the renting , paperwork , rental agreements , collecting rent deposits , handling disputes , posting notices ,run credits checks , showing , posting the adds not just for my complex but the owners two others....I get paid for milege .28 cents per mile , I believe it should be 50cents , the only way we really survive is my husbands other job with great benifits ,the only reason why we stay is because the they are really great people to work with , even though I feel we should get a little more pay , it is hard to find a job I can raise my son with , this job I can be here and nobody has to watch him , and my boss is really good to him and us , so sometimes we sacrifice less for more , and be able to control the kind of envirement we live in is a bonus , so if being under paid has no other benifits than it may not be worth it , but if there is , well you need to ask yourself if the good out weighs the bad

When they turn on you (and they will) and summarily terminate you, go to mossmgrlaw.com and read what you find there about how you SHOULD have been compensated.

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California

48 months ago

It's only 11 units. And you are the manager and have let these types in? Do you do the maintenance? Do you pass out the lead base paint broshure your required to give to each new tenant?
You should at least get free rent and some small compensation for only 11 units. If it were me, I would look for another job that pays better! They aren't even required to have an on site manager at 11 units. Only at 16. There are many other places that will pay a lot more.
Right now I work for a private owner of a 140 unit property. It's great, I get a two bedroom plus utilities and a small salary but no bene's. Its easier, but property management companies if any good, can give better perks and money and training. If you aren't familiar with tenant/landlord laws you will want to become very familiar especially if the owners decide to go without a property management company.

Ty in Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

Hi- I blundered into this forum by accident whilst researching what qualifications you need to owner-manage a 4-plex or 8-plex- which I was thinking about buying here in Phoenix. Anyhoo- I just wanted to say that you people are all getting S-C-R-E-W-E-D. Bottom line is that there just isnt a lot of income coming in at a property of 10-25 units and yet owners still have a lot of the same compliance and overhead expenses that larger complexes have. Money will always be tight at these properties and owners will always be looking for people who can be exploited and totally taken advantage of. My advice to you all is to get on with a much larger complex /company. Even starting out as a leasing agent and working your way up to asst. mgr and someday manager. I work at a 350 unit complex as a maintenance tech- heavy stuff, not light work- full gut-out and re-models, jackhammering slab-leaks, Air-handler and condensor change-outs, water heater installs. Mainline sewer backups at 3 AM at this 30 year old property on the bad side of the tracks. Not a manager in any sense, but I am paid 16.73 per hour plus about 450.00/mo in 1099 income for 3 Air-handler installs on my own time per month. I dont live on-site. My wages comes out to about 45K a year plus company pays half my medical. I have a lot of skills, certificates and 10+ years experience, but even an average maint. guy with only about 3-5 years experience and very basic skills gets 12.00/hr-14.00/hr. Getting woken up by the pager sucks, and I am always tired, but it sounds like even my sorry, beaten-down wrench-monkey self is doing better than most of you managers of these small complexes. In fact, our groundskeepers earn more than you folks do, and they don't even speak english. I know how hard a job it is dealing with these residents every day, and anybody who works in property management/maintenance deserves a medal. To think that you people are getting paid less than fast-food wages for what you do makes me sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pj in La Habra, California

45 months ago

HELL YES!!

45 months ago

hell yes the apt.bus. is a low lifes delight

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California

45 months ago

Brent Williams in Houston, Texas said: Lisa,
Would you mind if I shared your story/question with my group? We have a really active group of multifamily professionals, and I think they would like hearing and responding to this. Is that ok?

Thanks!

Brent

I'm sorry that I haven't responded to your question in all this time. You are probably no longer interested or not even here. But just in case you are, sure, go right ahead. I am curious what they might say about it all.

45 months ago

How much do apt. managers get paid

pj in La Habra, California

45 months ago

I AM AN APT. MANAGER IN LOS ANGELES. 1ST APT.S WE WERE THERE FOR 30 YEARS AND THERE WAS A PARTNERSHIP BREAK UP. WE ASSISTED THE NEW PARTNER ON THE ENTIRE PROGRAM FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS WITH ALL THE ASSURANCES THAT WE STILL HAD OUR POSITION AND THEN ON THE 1ST DAY OF THE FOURTH MONTH, WE WERE HIT WITH A $1200 RENTAL INCREASE. WE WERE PAYING $125 FOR A 3 BED ROOM 2 CAR GARAGE WITH A HUGH BACK YARD. IT WAS ONLY 14 UNITS BUT WE HANDLED EVERYTHING FOR THE ENTIRE 30 YEARS. WE TALKED TO THE OWNERSHIP MAYBE 6 TIMES A YEAR AND SAW THEM ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR. ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GO TO THE BANK TO GET THEIR MONEY. THEY WERE STILL EXPECTING US TO MANAGE EVEN WHILE WERE PAYING FULL RENT AND NO COMPENSATION. YEAH RIGHT!!! WE STAYED THERE FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS RENT FREE BEFORE WE WERE IN COURT FOR THE EVICTION. WE HAD OUR NEW PLACE 30 DAYS INTO THE 4 MONTHS. LIFE IS A BEACH

WE MOVED TO ANOTHER 14 APT. UNIT TO MANAGE. WE RECEIVED A $800 RENT REDUCTION OFF OF $1150 RENT FOR A 2 BEDROOM - 2 BATH APT. WITH GARAGE OR YARD. WE WERE ASKED TO STAY LONG TERM IF GIVEN THE JOB. AFTER TWO YEARS, WE WERE ASKED TO ATTEND A MEETING WITH OWNERSHIP AND WAS GIVEN NOTICE THAT THEY WERE BRINGING IN A PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY AND THEY WERE WANTING TO BRING IN THEIR OWN MANAGER. THE OWNER HAS BASICALLY GIVEN US 1 MONTH TO LOCATE A NEW MANAGEMENT POSITION BEFORE STARTING THE EVICTION PROCESS.

SO I UNDERSTAND YOUR POSITION. FROM HERE ON OUT, WE WILL CONTINUALLY BE PLACING RESUMES FOR NEW MANAGEMENT POSITIONS NO MATTER WHERE WE ARE AT AND NO MATTER WHAT WE AGREE TO WITH THE OWNER. WE SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH TO BUY OUR OWN HOME WITH IN THE NEXT 15 MONTHS. WHEN MANAGING LONG TERM AT ONE PLACE, ONE HAS A TENDENCY OF BECOMING COMPLACENT. INSTEAD OF TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE RENT DEDUCTION AND SAVING ONE'S MONEY, ONE HAS A TENDENCY OF SPENDING MONEY ON NEEDLESS THINGS WHICH WE COULD HAVE SACRIFICED AND NOT WASTED IT. LIFE IS A LEARNING PROCESS!! GOOD LUCK 2 U!

mossmgrlaw in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

PJ in La Habra: Sounds to me like you have gotten a royal screwing for quite some time. Rather than write endlessly to explain your rights, I suggest you start by going to mossmgrlaw.com and read what you find there. After you have read that, if you would like more information, you can contact me through that site. 95% of my law practice is devoted to representing resident managers of apartment complexes who are routinely illegally paid. Good luck.

Brent Williams in Katy, Texas

44 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm sorry that I haven't responded to your question in all this time. You are probably no longer interested or not even here. But just in case you are, sure, go right ahead. I am curious what they might say about it all.

No problem, Lisa! I actually just happened to drop by here again and noticed your reply. I've posted the question here: www.multifamilyinsiders.com/home/apartment-ideas/apartment-jobs/6383-small-complex-apartment-manager-pay#6383

If anybody else has any salary questions related to multifamily, I would be happy to post them, as well.

Grace in Redding, California

44 months ago

Debra in San Francisco, California said: We manage an 18 unit building. Our apartment is free plus utilities, full cable, insurance and about 42,000 per year. I think that may be a bit high for the area. Hope that helps.

No way!!! I've been in management for 13 years and I've never heard of this amount of salary except for Supervisors

44 months ago

Justice For All in Oakland, California said: Thank you so much for the information. My daughter has been the resident manager at an apartment complex for at least 5 years and she's never received more than a free apartment. At first the property manager was paying her $10.00 per hour to clean vacant apartments when tenants moved out. But she didn't want to pay more than 3 hours worth no matter how long it took my daughter to clean some of the really dirty apartments. Now, the property manager has one of the company's handymen to clean the apartment with no extra pay or the tenant will clean it and get a reduced cleaning deposit fee. My daughter has wanted to talk with the actual owner of the apartment complex regarding getting paid wages, but the property manager (who's the resident manager of my apartment building) will not give her any information on how to contact him. The property manager said that none of the resident managers receive a salary and some don't receive a free apartment either. I know for a fact that one of the resident managers at another property is paid a $200.00 month stipend plus has a free apartment. I know this because I worked with his girlfriend. My daughter is afraid to pursue the matter with the property manager because she thinks she'll be fired for asking for wages. I think my daughter should contact the Legal Aid for legal help in getting her wages that have been due to her. If the property owner or manager retaliates by firing her, we have another reason to sue them.

Here is how you have to add it up: the more units, the more benefits, and more pay! Less units, less benefits, less pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

iknowsum1 in Mountain View, California

44 months ago

Justice For All in Oakland, California said: Thank you so much for the information. My daughter has been the resident manager at an apartment complex for at least 5 years and she's never received more than a free apartment. At first the property manager was paying her $10.00 per hour to clean vacant apartments when tenants moved out. But she didn't want to pay more than 3 hours worth no matter how long it took my daughter to clean some of the really dirty apartments. Now, the property manager has one of the company's handymen to clean the apartment with no extra pay or the tenant will clean it and get a reduced cleaning deposit fee. My daughter has wanted to talk with the actual owner of the apartment complex regarding getting paid wages, but the property manager (who's the resident manager of my apartment building) will not give her any information on how to contact him. The property manager said that none of the resident managers receive a salary and some don't receive a free apartment either. I know for a fact that one of the resident managers at another property is paid a $200.00 month stipend plus has a free apartment. I know this because I worked with his girlfriend. My daughter is afraid to pursue the matter with the property manager because she thinks she'll be fired for asking for wages. I think my daughter should contact the Legal Aid for legal help in getting her wages that have been due to her. If the property owner or manager retaliates by firing her, we have another reason to sue them.

Have her contact: www.mossmgrlaw.com/ ask for Ken He's the best! and he will help!

Nona in Kenai, Alaska

42 months ago

Wow, this is bad. It would seem I have fallen into the same trap as many of you. I manage a 22 unit apartment complex that is USDA subsidzed, and the property managers refuse to pay us what the rest of the managers are making in the same company. They have all kinds of excuses. I have to re-cert 22 people every year in both USDA and Tax Credit..at the same time! And they pay me $9.45 an hour, it used to be $7.75 an hour and I threw a fit for the $9.45 an hour with a free one bedroom apartment and utilites. They pay all their other managers $11-12 an hour because that is what they were making when the property sold to the new owners....I came on board at the time of the sale so I got stuck with low wages. They keep on increasing the work load and refuse to increase the 29 hrs a week. I wish I would have known what I was getting into, I work hard and it is stressful. And now I curse, I didn't used to curse.....:(
Alone in Alaska

becky in Tacoma, Washington

41 months ago

I am an apartment owner in Tacoma. My manager has again asked for more compensation, She is now getting a dreduced rent ($60) on her nice 1 bedroom apartment and recieves free parking, cable, water sewer garbage ap($90) and an hourly rate of $13 per hour and will not wk Saturdays. We need to have opens on Satyrdays to fill them.
She is now asking for me to provide her with the prime unit to her for the same rental amt she is paying now. That would be apx $3200. more per year. She does not clean ao do any of the work. She is stricly there for office work mand I hire the hany amn and repairs myself.
For the 40 units she is now compensated $25,500.
I feel she is unreasonable.
Thoughts?

41 months ago

Your cheep and a sick person another sick land lord

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Nona in Kenai, Alaska said: Wow, this is bad. It would seem I have fallen into the same trap as many of you. I manage a 22 unit apartment complex that is USDA subsidzed, and the property managers refuse to pay us what the rest of the managers are making in the same company. They have all kinds of excuses. I have to re-cert 22 people every year in both USDA and Tax Credit..at the same time! And they pay me $9.45 an hour, it used to be $7.75 an hour and I threw a fit for the $9.45 an hour with a free one bedroom apartment and utilites. They pay all their other managers $11-12 an hour because that is what they were making when the property sold to the new owners....I came on board at the time of the sale so I got stuck with low wages. They keep on increasing the work load and refuse to increase the 29 hrs a week. I wish I would have known what I was getting into, I work hard and it is stressful. And now I curse, I didn't used to curse.....:(
Alone in Alaska

You said it "Alone in Alaska" What is the unit size on the other complexes? Usually hourly rate is based upon unit size! I have done low income housing for 11 years, and that is the M.O., they get you in and slowly increase your work load without compensation. 29 hours is not alot, if it is hourly, you are getting paid for it. If you don't like it quit, but maybe first write a letter requesting a raise, this is a permanent document in your file, do it again in six months if they don't give you one, and then on and on...

41 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

Yes Northern California, 61 units' 2,200.00 per month with 2 bedroom 2 bath

T in Modesto, California

41 months ago

2400 a month and a free 3 bd apt with free utilities in northern cal.

T in Modesto, California

41 months ago

55 units

41 months ago

bolsa in Huntington Beach, California said: Your cheep and a sick person another sick land lord

Who are you referring to? The person above you is a landlord, but I hope you are not referring to her, because no matter what she is paying, there is no reason to call her a sick person. I hope you are referring to someone else I didn't notice...

41 months ago

Brent Williams in Katy, Texas said: Who are you referring to? The person above you is a landlord, but I hope you are not referring to her, because no matter what she is paying, there is no reason to call her a sick person. I hope you are referring to someone else I didn't notice...

I di not say or mean she was a sick person. I am an owner of an apt buiding in Tacoma WA and need to have the building open for showings on Saturdays. I pay the current mgr $25,000 per yr and she wants more is not flexible for Sats. We need to be able to show on Saturdays as that is when most people shop. I have been the one to show bay appointment. That is not possible as I have another job.
My point is what is a fair payment for what the job responsibilities are. tyhe job has been offive M-F (as she will not wk sats)1-5 collect rent, post ads, 3 day notices etc, monthly rent and day to day issues. She does not do bills annd acounting , no cleaning etc. I think I will be in need of a new mgr as Saturdays a re critcal for showing.

41 months ago

becky in Tacoma, Washington said: I di not say or mean she was a sick person.

Hi Becky, I think you got confused - I was actually defending you against the person right below you. I never meant that you called anyone "sick".

41 months ago

becky in Tacoma, Washington said: I di not say or mean she was a sick person. I am an owner of an apt buiding in Tacoma WA and need to have the building open for showings on Saturdays. I pay the current mgr $25,000 per yr and she wants more is not flexible for Sats. We need to be able to show on Saturdays as that is when most people shop. I have been the one to show bay appointment. That is not possible as I have another job.
My point is what is a fair payment for what the job responsibilities are. tyhe job has been offive M-F (as she will not wk sats)1-5 collect rent, post ads, 3 day notices etc, monthly rent and day to day issues. She does not do bills annd acounting , no cleaning etc. I think I will be in need of a new mgr as Saturdays a re critcal for showing.

Why don't you give her Sunday and Monday's off? Or get a temp on Saturdays? Get creative have her do Saturday's every other weekend or once a month. I'm sure there is an option. Or hire a next manager, I'm available.

41 months ago

She has stated she absolutely will not work Sats. Her demands I feel are unreasonable. If I were to have the buidings ptofesionally managed they charge @5-6% and that is less than what she gets paid and they do everything bills and all. I think I will put out an ad for this job.
I think it will be a free apartment and $400-500 per month plus $12 per hour for apartment cleaning and paint vacuuming etc.
Does this seem fair?
There is a point to where it makes more sence to go with management cos.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.