becoming a landlord/manager of apartment complex

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 151)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Judy in Everett, Washington

69 months ago

I would contact the city to see if a sweeper can come by. Or I would put up signs and send out notices to residents encouraging them to help participate in keeping the common & surrounding areas clean. I would also maybe see if the trash pick-up could be increased to 2 times per week and request that tenants pay a portion due to the amount of trash. Of course making sure laws and regulations per landlord tenant laws are in line. Just some ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T

69 months ago

We pick up all the trash every morning, it's part of our routine. But we also encourage the tenants to be aware of their surroundings and to do the same. Some days we pay the kids a dollar to go collect trash. Picking up around the complex is good exercise and when people see you doing it it will make them realize that you do care and they are usually a bit better about throwing things down on the ground. If most of your trouble is coming from the outlying areas and not your own complex you may want to go meet your neighbors and talk with them about keeping their part cleaned up. All in all, just make it one of your own personal challenges. You know you always feel better after a job well done ;).
Property management is a crazy job, love the parts you can and change the parts you can, and just go with the flow. These are hard times and it's great not to have to worry about a job or a mortgage, it's pretty freeing if you think about it.

Esther in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

T said: We pick up all the trash every morning, it's part of our routine. But we also encourage the tenants to be aware of their surroundings and to do the same. Some days we pay the kids a dollar to go collect trash. Picking up around the complex is good exercise and when people see you doing it it will make them realize that you do care and they are usually a bit better about throwing things down on the ground. If most of your trouble is coming from the outlying areas and not your own complex you may want to go meet your neighbors and talk with them about keeping their part cleaned up. All in all, just make it one of your own personal challenges. You know you always feel better after a job well done ;).
Property management is a crazy job, love the parts you can and change the parts you can, and just go with the flow. These are hard times and it's great not to have to worry about a job or a mortgage, it's pretty freeing if you think about it.

Well I did all that but looks like the neighbor manager doesn't care and still alot of trash on the streets and when the wind blows... all the trash comes to our side.
So sometimes I even pick up trash for them.......!!!!! most of the them have alot of trash on the street. Only our section of the street is clean.. Is there any place I can report this matter??? I was just wondering since these managers seems don't care..... please help.

P.S. I do like my job just gets upset when others don't do their job and bothers me... I don't mind picking up trash for out tenants and our area.. but not the trash from other side of the streets or next ones...

I did like your comement very much..

T

69 months ago

karpdiem2 in San Marcos, California said: I was actually trying to make a comment to another discussion &
for some reason, unknown to me, am unable to do so. Can someone
enlighten me?

Unable how? What happens when you try?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Everett, Washington

69 months ago

it's posted. This is a great site-I love hearing about the funny stuff that happens to us Apartment Managers. We have so many stories to tell and we see so much----what a great life.

Andy in Denver, Colorado

69 months ago

yes, I also clean the street in the city I clean trash, bottles, glass, cigs, and whatever else. i also clean the common areas pretty much everything. Yes to your question.

Janet in Lafayette, California

69 months ago

Wow. Very interesting postings. I have been hired twice in property positions. On the first one, they did everything possible to keep from me the fact that the property does not allow pets - though they kept saying the plan was to bring me on as a property manager. And as it turns out, they are VERY strict about that rule - I guess it explains why the facilities director kept avoiding answering it.

On the second one, I was a leasing consultant for about two weeks. Talk about your trash job. Absolutely disgusting office, the management treated the tenants horribly. All I can say is if as a tenant, someone spoke to me like that, they would have been put in their place very quickly - and they have been. Tenants hated the place - crime, dirty, etc etc etc. I tried to take it all with a grain of salt because I thought well maybe it's one of those things where tenants are going to complain no matter what - but they were justified. Then when the leasing manager started behaving with me in that same obnoxious manner, I said that's it, this place is way too disgusting for me.

My question is: as leasing consultant, is it standard to just be treated like something the dog dragged in? I am still pursuing a career in property management, however it is actually as a manager, because that behavior is intolerable at any level.

T

69 months ago

Janet in Lafayette, California said: Wow. Very interesting postings. I have been hired twice in property positions. On the first one, they did everything possible to keep from me the fact that the property does not allow pets - though they kept saying the plan was to bring me on as a property manager. And as it turns out, they are VERY strict about that rule - I guess it explains why the facilities director kept avoiding answering it.

On the second one, I was a leasing consultant for about two weeks. Talk about your trash job. Absolutely disgusting office, the management treated the tenants horribly. All I can say is if as a tenant, someone spoke to me like that, they would have been put in their place very quickly - and they have been. Tenants hated the place - crime, dirty, etc etc etc. I tried to take it all with a grain of salt because I thought well maybe it's one of those things where tenants are going to complain no matter what - but they were justified. Then when the leasing manager started behaving with me in that same obnoxious manner, I said that's it, this place is way too disgusting for me.

My question is: as leasing consultant, is it standard to just be treated like something the dog dragged in? I am still pursuing a career in property management, however it is actually as a manager, because that behavior is intolerable at any level.

A professional would not treat someone crappy. Sounds like a personal problem if you ask me. I treat all my tenants the way I would want to be treated and I treat my boss that way too. Sometimes I get treated crappy, but I dont lash out over it, its usually trivial stuff anyway and not worth making worse by arguing. Do unto others and you always feel good no matter what. I love being an apartment manager. I love all of my tenants, even the few chanllenging ones. In this economy, not having to worry about losing my house or job is a very peaceful thing.

69 months ago

Thanks T. I am currently a manager in the staffing industry and I have to admit there have got to be some similarities. For one, you don't just have your little staff and some customersthat you deal with. Depending on the number of temps you have active, you may have several hundred different people to manage. That, my friend, is a juggling act. I learned that you can't judge anyone and have to accept them. Once I got that, I learned to appreciate them for who they are. Some of these people are on very hard times, and I make sure that I treat them with respect and appreciation at all times and I have to tell you, the majority (there's always that one) of them step up. I have always wanted to work in the property management industry, and as you can see, "almost" suceeded a couple of times. But am still trying. How did you get your start?

T

69 months ago

I got lucky I guess, I wasnt looking for this gig when it happened. We (my husband and I) decided we wanted to relocate, get out of the city and the smog, and we came to this little town and looked in the want ads. I figured it couldnt be all that difficult and it would give us a roof over our head until we found something normal to do. Turns out we like it, make enough money to survive and have no plans on looking for other employment. Been here for a little over 2 years now. I hope nothing happens to end it. I could use a little raise, or some dental insurance, but other than that it's a good gig.

69 months ago

That sounds great, I'm glad it's working out for you.

Mikey C

68 months ago

go on www.american-apartment-owners-association.org/ you can find all the info you need.

pgwarvet in Odessa, Texas

65 months ago

Dulce in San Diego, California said: how do i go about to become a landlord/manager of an apartment complex?
any advice will help

You start out in leasing or even in maintenance and work your way up. This is how I did it. You also should check out taking courses in being a certified apartment manager (CAM) courses with the state or National Apartment Association.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandyfitz in Lynnwood, Washington

65 months ago

Have any of you managers had to get your real estate license if you have moved off site?

T in Modesto, California

65 months ago

Hmm, never of heard of that before. I know if you manage a mobile home park and you are involved in showing homes you have to get the real estate license. Never heard of it for apartments tho. I dont think living onsite or offsite would make a difference. If you are in an area that requires a real estate license to manage multi family housing, it shouldn't matter whether you live onsite or not.

sandyfitz in Lynnwood, Washington

65 months ago

I called the DOL of Washington, They said it was a trust issue. That you would be more apt to be dishonest if you live off site.

Janet in Lafayette in California

65 months ago

Well guess what, I did finally get hired. Came on as asst mgr for an RV property. I'm the weekend person but it's great and I love it. And you're right, just keep applying until you find a good match and go from there. Going to a traditional apartment complex - the leasing consultants are considered the bottom of the barrel and treated like it. No thanks. And I'm not a maintenance person so it would not make sense to get hired as a maintenance person and try to work my way around.

65 months ago

Really - in California it is law that over a certain number of units someone must live on site.

sandyfitz in Lynnwood, Washington said: I called the DOL of Washington, They said it was a trust issue. That you would be more apt to be dishonest if you live off site.

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California

65 months ago

Esther in Los Angeles, California said: I manage 20 unit apartment for about 8 months now. I get one bedroom unit free, half UTbill and $50 each unit rented. I collect rents also clean outside including all the common areas,stairway and even the streets. Well my question is... the area that I live in, the neighbor apartments and people are just way too dirty. so many trash out on the streets and I am the one who have to clean every morning and night since it is our side of streets. Do any other managers clean streets??? I was just wondering.....Since city trash comes only once a week, they don't pick up trash on the street only where cars are parked on the street., I have to pick up all the trash flies from next door neighbor becauase their managers don't clean or pick up the trash.....!!!!
Its making me very upset everyday to see trash on the street.

no it is the city, county and they get paid major money to street clean, ca law min wage is to be paid for all property live on site managers, and only 450.00 can be deducted from you pay for rent, that is if they pay you min wage, its the law and they have to have some one live on site with over 16 units, so they arent doing us a favor they cant operate a buisness without us on the property.go to cal wage &laws

65 months ago

T said: My husband and I are a team, I work the office and he does the maitenance. We get 2400 a month salary, free 3br apt, free utilities. 60 units. We have a gardener that does the mowing and such. We hire contracters for things that are over our head in the maint area.

wow you do get more than i, ive worked here over 2 years rented 35 apartments, we have a safe and great group of people, i have had no vacation, no sick days and no raise i get 360.00 to work here and clean the laundry room and the grounds, i found out they are not paying me the law at least min wage, and i have to be here 40 hrs a week and on call, i have no medical ins, so i have been a slave, i have an attorney, its time to fight back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wayne in Long Beach, California

64 months ago

I have a family in Southern, CA married with 3 young children and am wondering how to get a position whereby I can assist with others, perhaps elderly and gain housing for my family as well.
Does anyone know of any possibilities that exist that allow a family housing in the mix? Apartment mgr, storage facility, ranch/farm/horses, etc. But if you do happen to know anything at all about any possible sources, please be kind in your reply, we have fallen on very hard times, we are kind God loving people, and need some help. I am able to work hard repairing, business/office/admin, or mechanical as well. I literally am multi talented. I can teach music too.

t in modesto

64 months ago

Go to www.workingcouples.com there are lots of good positions there. Good luck!!

sandyfsandyemisfitz in Bothell, Washington

64 months ago

Hello,I have been in property management for a long time,(26 years). The best way to get your foot in the door is usually by starting at the bottom, which is a leasing agent position. Most of the time this position does not offer housing. The only position that does is manager. If you go online and look up property management company's, you will get a list of companies. You can always send a resume with a cover letter stating what you are looking for along with your skills and maybe someone might bring you in on a small property for free rent and utilitys only. Good Luck!!!

64 months ago

That's interesting, I've seen the maintenance staff as the "on site" personnnel and the manager lives elsewhere. And in particularly rough neighborhoods they dno't have management living on site. I am the assistant manager and am required to live on site as well as the manager. I don't deny that you are highly experienced, but I think your statement is subjective.

judy in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

start calling property management companies

judy in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

I was in your same position (broke no money no real place to live) and I started leasing and was given a FREE apartment and was shortly promoted to manager because I had the ambition & drive & had a little common sense. Now in these times of market distress owners will probably look at hiring someone with a multitude of experience in many areas who may not have been in the apartment industry (all the better) but are willing to work hard to make it. YOU GO FOR IT!!!!! And really watch your back with apt. industry people. They throw knives

Donna Spencer in Edmonton, Kentucky

63 months ago

I have been looking on line trying to find out how to become an apartment manager. I found a course that cost $700. I would like to know if anyone thinks I should take this course and pay all this money?, or is there and better way to go about getting this trainning?

CONFUCIUS in Daly City, California

63 months ago

Donna Spencer in Edmonton, Kentucky said: I have been looking on line trying to find out how to become an apartment manager. I found a course that cost $700. I would like to know if anyone thinks I should take this course and pay all this money?, or is there and better way to go about getting this trainning?

HI DONNA, I WOULD NOT TAKE THE COURSE. I WOULD LOOK FOR A SMALL PLACE TO MANAGE AND CUT MY TEETH ON, USE AS STEPPING STONE. USE AS A CAREER GAUGE FOR YOURSELF AND SEE IF YOU LIKE IT. YOU COULD EVEN START PART-TIME, AND KEEP ANOTHER JOB IN CASE YOU NEEED TO GET OUT.

T

63 months ago

go to workingcouples.com they post a lot of jobs their for apt/motel/campground managers

Jenny in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Sudie said: Apartment manager jobs have pretty fast turnover. Most managers cant hang for more than a year because the tenants drive them crazy. My company alone, in the small area where I live, has already gone through 4 sets of mgrs in 2 years at some of our complexes. The jobs are out there, trust me.
Just remember that you give up your privacy. Unfortunately most complexes dont have a separate managers unit, so you have to share walls with tenants.... sometimes listening to the noise after being in your office all day can make you nutty.
I think managers would last longer if their dwelling was detached from the tenants....
If anyone can hear me, and you are building an apartment complex, do a great service and let the manager unit stand alone.

I must say I have Managed for a year and a half now, and this is all so true....but i always say....I am the Queen and they are the ants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

thanks for your input I have managed my apartments for over 2and a half years, it gets crazy at times my tenants are really nice and respect my time alone, if they have a real emergency they will call after hours, other wise its pretty quiet.

kneena in Oceanside, California

63 months ago

This was supposed to be about how to become a apt. manager, not what it pays and if that is fair, there was another posting for that. :( I want to know what apt. owners are looking for in an apt. manager.

T

63 months ago

You will need to collect rent on time, post it, deposit it... that requires a bit of knowledge in bookkeeping (but not a degree). You have to get along well with others. Tenants can be very demanding when things arent working right in their apartment and they want it fixed asap, you also have people that for some reason can't seem to get along with their neighbors and they want to complain and whine all the time. You have to use a lot of psychology to keep morale up around the complex. You can't live your tenants lives, so you have to ignore most of what you hear. Your job is to keep the place clean and in good maintenance repair, collect rent and promote trust. Once the tenants know you are on the ball and fair; the job is a pretty awesome one. You wont ever get rich, but you'll never be bored.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Well Apt Mgrs in La Habra, California

63 months ago

Do you like to join "Well Apt Managers" of Southern California ?

Let me know at:

wellaptmgrs.ning.com

We may talk online on Yahoo messenger too

Ad my id: WellAptMgrs

All the best in 2009,

wellaptmgrs@yahoo.com

63 months ago

GO TO JOB SITES FOR APARTMENT MANAGERS THERE ARE ALOT OF THEM, THEY DO WANT EXPERIENCE IN SOME AREAS AND GOOD CREDIT

redrubyredpearl in Fairfield, California

62 months ago

no comment

Janet in Orinda, California

62 months ago

haha! In reference to your comment to make sure the interview goes both ways. You are absolutely correct, you want to know who you're getting involved with and anyone at a career level knows this. During an interview with a property manager, we spoke about my background. I asked her about the company, to which she responded. I then asked how she got involved in property management. She halted for a moment, then told me that I am not to ask her questions, that I am the one being interviewed. I couldn't help but laugh and told her this interview is as much about the company and you as it is about me. However, the way you just answered my question told me everything I needed to know about what it would be like to work with you. I thought her assistant was going to fall off his chair trying to keep from laughing. I thanked her and said I would find my own way out. I spoke to HER manager about this and he told me they do have problems with her, and oddly enough I keep seeing the same job posted. Hmm.. maybe they are intervewing for the wrong position?

judy in Seattle, Washington said: It's very important when interviewing for a position, to interview the person hiring you. Simply because you will be working for that person. So go in thinking you own it know it and really have confidence in yourself. This always helps. I've made a lot of mistakes but the one I will never forget is when I accepted this assistant manager position when I am a alpha female and like to deligate. Well the apartment manager must have felt as if I were a threat. Anyhow, she wanted me to carry her bags out to her new 750 BMW. Yeah, get this, this lady was seriously like legally blonde but at age 50. I explained that I normally do NOT carry peoples bags on request-that I would rather offer from time to time but no one should expect another person to carry their 15 ft. to a car and be walked out. Needless to say it didn't work out. Go figure*

Rob apartment in Wattana

61 months ago

www.bangkok-apartment.org
Bangkok apartment rental
Bangkok Apartments is a property consultant in Bangkok specializing in apartment and condos for rent in central business district.

Lynnelle, Apt Mgr Extraordinaire in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

These are some funny posts. If you are really looking to be an apartment manager, the first thing to do is NOT take advice from people who are not in the field. Self-storage definitely does not pay more than apartment management. The average salary nationwide of apartment managers is $75k. The average changes depending on your location as does the cost of living, ie higher in California and New York, but lower in Florida. I've been an apartment manager in Orlando for 15 years now. Current salary is $53k base salary and potential bonus of $7k more per year for 400 unit complex; Others in luxury complexes in Orlando earn up to six figures, depends on the property's budget, how high rents are, etc. Cost of living is much less here...you can get a nice one bedroom apartment for $500 per month in Orlando, not likely in North or West coast. Contrary to the posts above, most managers get in the business by working their way up from entry level leasing agents, to assistant managers, then to manager positions. Second most popular way is to get a job with the corporate office of a management company in another position like administrative, accounting, payroll, etc and then transition to on-site by networking with co-workers. Every state has local Apartment Associations that give you classes and lists of job openings... in Orlando it's the AAGO - Apartment Association of Greater Orlando. www.aago.org. The market is very competitive right now as there are a lot of previous managers who went into real estate for self-employment and are selling less houses so they are returning which allows employers to be more selective in their hiring making it a bit tough, especially for those without years of experience.

60 months ago

Everyone's advice here is realistic and based on their experience, just like yours. However what worked for you may not work for the next person so it's great to see different replies on how people started in property management. This gives options to those looking. In regard to self storage, I recently spoke to a Self Storage company that offered a highly competitve salary, plus bonus, as well as a beautiful penthouse style residence for the site manager.

Hollywood Landlord in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

There are just as many good managers as there are bad, but you can also have a terrific manager willing to work hard and increase the efficiency of the building only to have been hired by over-demanding owners who want more from you than is acceptable.

Not sure how many of you have your own leases, but I have discovered a fantastic resource that has saved me HOURS of headaches, energy and saved my owners a lot of money... www.EZLandlordForms.com - in my ten years, I have stumbled across a lot of crummy websites with regards to landlording - finally something that made all the crummy ones worth the poking around...

Good luck to all of us and to our tenants!

maryam navid in Beverly Hills, California

60 months ago

Bachelor Degree in Computer im interested for work

maryam navid in Beverly Hills, California

60 months ago

i want job

dwight c in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Iwould ;ike to know is there anybody out there in california that manages a 28 unit apartment and dont get paid but. the rent is $ 1,295.00 but you have to pay $ 695.00 for rent. and work at the same time? I`ve been in this apartment for 4 months and there is no compensation insight. what do I do??

60 months ago

my first time being a apt. manager and I get a 2 bdrm apt when I omly wanted a 1-bdrm apt. thats not bad but I manage 28 units I clean ,garden, collect rents, and supervise the extra help such as plumbers,electricians,carpet cleaners etc. but I cant get the property owners to give me compensation. plus I pay rent and dont get an apt . rent free. I thought that when you manage 28 units your rent is free ? or you get some sort of compensation .I even pay the electric bill when their survelliance system is hooked on my electricity 24 hours a day 7- days a week. what do I do ? is their someone I can call or email that can find a solution to my problem ? HELP IN LOS ANGELES.

60 months ago

I am a self motivated energetic and personable individual with good communication skills.and I can make a horse laugh. that means I have a sense of humor. it only takes but a minute to catch on to how things are run. plus I`m a fast learner. and I like to get things done. I am looking for an apartment manager position that pays or is rent free or both in or around la. or its counties. please send all correspondence to dwightcalloway55@yahoo.com thank you and have blessed day.......... me and my wife are a management team. need work badly trying to live in La.

60 months ago

calif law they must pay you at least min wage for hours worked, that means if they want you 9-4 m-f it does not matter if any thing went on that day, if you are doing hours you are told to be there they must do min wage law. they can not charge you full rent only 451.00 or 2/3 rent value with a signed contract against your min wage law.
i know im in a law suit its tuff but i had to do it, i was being worked to death for 360.00 a month and paying my cable and phone, left me 250.00 a month and ive been here almost 3 years, im fighting, no one can live on that and no medical and have a good laywer good luck

60 months ago

i just told you, how the ca law is also go to web site FLSA on work and law,
good luck they cant do this to you

Let's just say ouch in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

I took on a property in West Hollywood not knowing the "story" about what I was moving into. The property has been poorly managed on the bases of personality clashes between management and owner/s in the past as for managerial styles.

Personality and property does not mix !! and I have a building that is full pretty much full of unhappy tenants of previous managers and the owners behavior and personality.

It is really getting ugly and there is nothing I can seem to do about it, as sweet nice and accomidating as I try to be, they (the tenants want to pick a big time fight with the owner any way they can) any suggestions ??

Janet in Walnut Creek, California

59 months ago

Yes - don't put up with it. As long as you let them walk over you they will continue to do so. I recently took over a trailer park, having NO prior experience LOL! and the previous manager let them get away with anything, I mean ANYTHING. At first I tried the "being nice" thing too. I realized they would treat me like the customer serivce teller at the bank (this is the person everyone walks all over). It took me about 5 minutes to realize I had to be the manager, not customer service and am not their buddy. Some people didn't like that, but oh well and they'll get over it. They now see that no one gets "special" treatment and no one is getting the shaft, they all know where they stand, the manager does her job and the place is clean, quiet and we have decent residents. Good luck to you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.