questions to ask during an interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

myheart0345 in Glendale, California

53 months ago

Hi everyone I have an interview in a couple days and need some help. I have some experience as an assistant manager and my interview is for a part time on-site manager position. Its around 40 units 2 bed 2 bath free utilities plus a small salary. I just wanted to know what i should ask during the interview? are there specific things i should know before taking the job? Please let me know thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

53 months ago

Questions to ask:

Why is the last manager leaving/left?
Realistically, how many hours each week does the job require?
How much of the turn tasks are you expected to do yourself (cleaning, painting, lock changing, etc.)?
Are you expected to handle vacancy advertising and applicant vetting? What about open houses (hint: hope not to have to do them, they are a huge time sink)?
How are needed supplies/vendors paid? Do you pay them and then seek reimbursement? Or do they give you a credit card?
What is the average length of stay of the tenants? Too many tenants who stay the length of just one lease (one year) is a sign that there is something wrong with the landlord or management.
Is there a formal employment contract? If so, ask to see it. If may require you to move out within three days if you are terminated as manager. You need to know that.

Nail it down clearly if you are or are not able to take a regular day job. Don't let that slide, make sure everyone is on the same page on that. Even if you don't intend on taking one now, you never know; you might have to take a day job later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

myheart0345 in Glendale, California

53 months ago

ok thank you very much =) i didnt get the job but now i know the right questions to ask. thanks again

Mark in Costa Mesa, California

51 months ago

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California said: Questions to ask:

Why is the last manager leaving/left?
Realistically, how many hours each week does the job require?
How much of the turn tasks are you expected to do yourself (cleaning, painting, lock changing, etc.)?
Are you expected to handle vacancy advertising and applicant vetting? What about open houses (hint: hope not to have to do them, they are a huge time sink)?
How are needed supplies/vendors paid? Do you pay them and then seek reimbursement? Or do they give you a credit card?
What is the average length of stay of the tenants? Too many tenants who stay the length of just one lease (one year) is a sign that there is something wrong with the landlord or management.
Is there a formal employment contract? If so, ask to see it. If may require you to move out within three days if you are terminated as manager. You need to know that.

Nail it down clearly if you are or are not able to take a regular day job. Don't let that slide, make sure everyone is on the same page on that. Even if you don't intend on taking one now, you never know; you might have to take a day job later.

What about wages? Are they're any and any other fringe benefits?

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

51 months ago

Mark in Costa Mesa, California said: What about wages? Are they're any and any other fringe benefits?

Typically, the job includes at least a rent discount and usually at least free rent. Larger complexes will offer free rent plus a salary.

Usually, the advertising for the job will tell you all that or at least allude to it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.