GLS - ARABIC LINGUIST PAY CUTS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 243)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Linguists’ web site administrator in Canton, Michigan

88 months ago

I was facing death on a daily basis. I accepted any available living condition. I never argued or discussed any money or salary issue with SOS or even GLS till their last salary-cut announcement. We are not fighting for money; we are fighting for our right to be acknowledged, respected and to be treated as first class citizens. If you take a moment to check on the Arabic-Speaker jobs in America you will be shocked. Have you heard about the Pentagon’ decision to pay $150,000 sign-up bonus for Arabic Speakers to join the Army? Have you heard about all the openings available for Arabic Translators to work on different Military Bases in USA for an annual salary of $105,000? So, if a linguists can work home 40 hours a week and be able to see his/her family once a week for an annual salary of $105,000, why would he/she accept to work in Iraq (which is still not safe) and only see his/her family once every six months for an annual salary of $129,750? Finally, Arabic linguist is not a translating machine. In addition to his/her verbal and in-writing translation job, the linguist is required to teach and educate the US Army personnel about the Middle East’ culture/religion which is a critical element to win the war. According to DynCorp end of the year report, GLS contract with INSCOM stated that GLS was to provide the US Army and Government with a total of 6000 Local Nationals and 1000 US Linguists. On 08 December 08, INSCOM has requested to increase the linguists number to a total of 10000 linguists (7700 local Nationals and 2300 US Linguists). GLS contract with INSCOM is a five-year contract with a value of $3.65 billion dollars (expandable to $4.65 billion dollars with the increase of the linguists’ number). When GLS took over in April 2008, CAT I, CATII and CAT II linguists were paid differently according to their clearance categories and their working years in Iraq, let’s just say the average annual salary paid to a senior linguist (of the original one thousand linguis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linguists’ web site administrator in Canton, Michigan

88 months ago

linguists) was $189,000 and the average annual salary paid to a new hired linguist (of the 1300 new hired linguists) was $166,000 (this is just a maximum figure but the actual linguists’ number and money spent is much less). Now, adding $9200 to each linguist (medical insurance, 401K and travel expenses) per year, the result is an annual salary of $198,200 to senior linguists and $175,200 to new linguists per year. Now, multiply $198,200 by 1000 linguists and multiply $175,200 by 1300 linguists then add them together, the total is how much money GLS spends on its 2300 linguists per year $425,960,000. Now multiply $1200 by 7700 Local Nationals, the total is what GLS spends on locals per year $924,000. Now add both totals, the result is what GLS spends on 2300 US Linguists and 7700 Local Linguists per year $426,884,000. Now multiply this number by 5, the result is what GLS is going to spend on all 10,000 linguists in Iraq during the five years of the contract $2,134,420,000. This means GLS is pocketing $2,515,580,000 of the contract money ($4.65billion dollars) during the five years of the contract which means $503,116,000 per year. This figure is based on the old salaries not the new one proposed by General Spider, now you can do your own math to figure out how much money GLS is actually pocketing from our money. GLS has sent us several letters warning us of the bad economy back home to influence our decisions to sign the new contract, well, I will use their exact technique here: several companies have gone out of business because of the bad economy, did that affect GLS? The answer is no. In fact, while other companies are suffering from the bad economy, GLS is pocketing more than $503,116,000 per year and still wants more of our money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

laine khoury in Lake Mary, Florida

88 months ago

anyone who thinks gls is concerned about the people that are risking their lives for this coutry everyday--they are sorely mistaken. i am not being negative, just brutally honest. it is about time people realize exactly what is happening to our men and women over there. and to add salt to an already open wound as far as my family goes---my husband just found out through the military that his top secret security clearance actually was approved in october of 2007. he had inquired several times through his company as to the status of his clearance was told repeatedly that they had not heard a thing about it. why is that??? maybe because they know my husband is worth alot more than they are paying him?? or that they know the minute these guys realize they have their clearances they are going to start looking elsewhere, only because they know they will be treated with a little respect??? if they want to keep their linquists they better start treating them like they should be and not like ignorant second class indispensables.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BALAMON4 in Kissimmee, Florida

88 months ago

laine khoury in Lake Mary, Florida said: anyone who thinks gls is concerned about the people that are risking their lives for this coutry everyday--they are sorely mistaken. i am not being negative, just brutally honest. it is about time people realize exactly what is happening to our men and women over there. and to add salt to an already open wound as far as my family goes---my husband just found out through the military that his top secret security clearance actually was approved in october of 2007. he had inquired several times through his company as to the status of his clearance was told repeatedly that they had not heard a thing about it. why is that??? maybe because they know my husband is worth alot more than they are paying him?? or that they know the minute these guys realize they have their clearances they are going to start looking elsewhere, only because they know they will be treated with a little respect??? if they want to keep their linquists they better start treating them like they should be and not like ignorant second class indispensables.

Hi Laine,
I live in Orlando and just finished all the medical tests required by GLS, I feel a little worry after reading your comments about this company, Do you know of any other company that hiring and how long your husband been in Iraq?
Thanks,
Magdy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

laine khoury in Longwood, Florida

88 months ago

BALAMON4 in Kissimmee, Florida said: Hi Laine,
I live in Orlando and just finished all the medical tests required by GLS, I feel a little worry after reading your comments about this company, Do you know of any other company that hiring and how long your husband been in Iraq?
Thanks,
Magdy

i honestly don't know what other companies are hiring linquists for duties in iraq. my husband actually started with L-3 Communications and their contract was taken over by GLS. as far as i know gls is the major provider of linquists right now. as you have probably read from some of the other folks on this forum, many have been waiting for a year or more to go forward with gls. i really would not count on this company for my living.
my husband has been in iraq since december of 2006. a very long time. he remains there because he feels duty bound to serve his country and he feels as though he is making a difference in the lives of some of the soldiers he meets (he constantly stands up for the soldiers when he feels they are not being treated properly by their superiors) and the iraqi people. the second reason he stays on is because we (i) need the health insurance he gets with gls, i have some very serious medical problems. we pray that he will not remain there much longer. good luck with whatever you decide to do. you will be in my prayers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Money Money verses Honor in Canton, Michigan

87 months ago

Would anybody be willing to work for a company that called its Arabic Linguists “damn Arabs” and “cockroaches”? Why would we help such a company that net-profit $500M plus a year to profit even make by sucking money? Bad economy and it’s hard to find a job home, understood, but …Do you think your need to money will justify working for such a company that disrespects Arabs? Having you heard what this company was involved in Bosnia selling and trafficking young Muslim girls (12-15 years old) as sex-slaves? Common people, have some honor, dignity and bride…Boycotting GLS/DynCorp is the right thing to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Money Money verses Honor in Canton, Michigan said: Would anybody be willing to work for a company that called its Arabic Linguists “damn Arabs” and “cockroaches”? Why would we help such a company that net-profit $500M plus a year to profit even make by sucking money? Bad economy and it’s hard to find a job home, understood, but …Do you think your need to money will justify working for such a company that disrespects Arabs? Having you heard what this company was involved in Bosnia selling and trafficking young Muslim girls (12-15 years old) as sex-slaves? Common people, have some honor, dignity and bride…Boycotting GLS/DynCorp is the right thing to do.

i am curious to know where you found this information. i have heard some pretty bad things about gls but nothing to this extent. please fill me in on this. i would appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Baghdad, Iraq in London, United Kingdom

87 months ago

laine khoury in Longwood, Florida said: i am curious to know where you found this information. i have heard some pretty bad things about gls but nothing to this extent. please fill me in on this. i would appreciate it.

I am working right now with GLs, they are the worst company ever, I am leaving next month for good, I know the Economy is really bad, but it is not working for someone like them who pocket the money and call us names, all what the Money Money said is TRUE, and they are treating their linguists like piece of s#$% and they know they without us they will never be something called GLS, but too bad for some poeple who have no dignity and can do what ever for the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maha in Wylie, Texas

87 months ago

hello there,

i have a massage for any one wants to join any company to become linguist in Iraq ,please do not listen to any one , those people who say that gls or any company is the worst do not believe them , they just want to trick you so you do not apply and so they can keep the job for them if they were right , why they still there? and why they been there for 5 and 4 and 3 years ? believe me this is with they done to me when i arrived to Iraq those linguist who been there long time were telling me that they are tired of here and they are tired of how they been treated by those people and look what happened i lost my job and i came back but they still there ??????? so please do not listen .they just want to put you in trouble like they did to me .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mr.right in Des Plaines, Illinois

87 months ago

you right i agree with you maha . no need to complain about thier job, specially in these hard days to find a job , i feel sorry for you becouse lost your job .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

njman in Newark, New Jersey

87 months ago

sorry to hear that maha, its really hard to find a job here nowadays, i have a question , cant you sign the new contract with GLS and return back to your job ??

i know GLS is not a well organized comapny and they have bad management, but as you said its hard and we all need to work,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Former GLS in Canton, Michigan

87 months ago

GLS is in fact a very bad company, they called US Arabic Linguists COCKROACHES, why do you want to work for such a bad discriminating company? and by the way, I resigned and came back home, so I am not fooling anybody as someone else said here before, I left my job after being there for almost six years, it's not worth it, bad economy should not be an execuse to work for a company that treats Arabs as dogs, please don't underestimate yourself and your talent, don't work for GLS...

Former GLS in Canton, Michigan

87 months ago

go to the US Linguists' web site to find more about GLS
www.tiptopwebsite.com/protestsalaryadjustment

SeanSd in San Diego, California

87 months ago

Hi, I am in the process of getting hired by GLS and I noticed different comments about GLS, mostly negative ones; however I want to ask few questions:
The contact I will be signing is a year contract which most Linguist did true? So by doing that GLS are being upfront that after a year there is a renewal to the contract which may result in pay change or they may not hire you again for whatever reason…. True?
Most of these linguist are making 100K and more …. I doubt any one will be making nearly that working home (USA) if so then that’s their choice and no one is forcing them to be there. I am not trying to take anyone’s side but I d like to get some honest real answers. People are complaining about getting called names? And being treated so badly? First of all you can be called names even home, your boss and co workers can smile in your face and talk bad about you…. But is that really the issue here? It’s how you carry your self and YOU VALUE your self people respect you…in fact you have the ability to change some people’s mind how they look at “Arabs” by being a good /honest/smart /respectful /open minded /hard worker………. let’s not forget that we “LUINGUITS” should be the median to a peace process of this war, you have to be proud of what you do..and of course the money is a good reason as well but …if you were making $180 or $200k a year and they new contract will be $120….is it really that bad? If you think its TOO LOW please come home and let new candidates go make some money because I am sure they will be more than happy with $120 especially in nowadays economy. Now , I need some honest answers, how is the situation in Iraq now?
1- Any Linguists with GLS been killed?
2- What is the day like for a Linguist in IRAQ ( tasks.. duties….? )
3- Do you stay in an Army base or depends on your unit?

Thanks
Sean

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

iraqisok in Ashburn, Virginia

87 months ago

I'm surprised at the anti-GLS comments here. Are there any good companies to work for in Iraq? I have a friend that worked for Calnet and had good things to say.
There is a new State Department contract that the winning companies are looking for candidates. Must have a clearance though.

top in Cordova, Tennessee

87 months ago

IF GLS is so bad...I say quit and come work for Mcdonalds..grow up and stop crying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

let's get honest here. everyone knows the economy is bad. i agree. and everyone knows that making the sort of money you all think the linquist sounds wonderful. but like with anything else it comes with a huge price. you may make less at home but you come home to your family every nite and sleep in your own bed. you spend time with your wife/children/parents/friends. you are not in constant danger and you are not looking over your shoulder at all times to be sure the kid you just gave candy to isn't going to blow you and half the guys you are with away. you eat what you when you want and you shower and using the toilet in private. these are some of the everyday ordinary things we take for granted. you don't get them over there. you are lucky if you get what they call a CHU containerized housing unit. and it is just that. a storage bin with some electricity and a window a/c. but be careful cause comes through every nook and cranny all the time. and while there is a sandstorm, and there are many, you can't run any type of a/c or open anything up. you will live, eat, sleep and breathe sand. you get out on missions day and nite, with your unit. it is not a joy ride. you are living and working with the military, doing everything they do and coping with everything they have to cope with. only you haven't had that sort of training. you didn't enlist. and you don't get the benefits they get. you don't get support groups for you family left behind, you don't get assistance, and your family back home won't get any help back home. it is not easy. it is extremely difficult not only on the one that actually goes but on the family left at home, fearing they will never see they loved one again.
yes, these guys signed contracts for one year. the problem is gls wants to revise those contracts within that year and cut the pays dramatically. these guys have no access to legal counsel and are threatened with being dismissed if they do not sign

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

cpntinue.... as far as if any linquist have died recently---YES--- i cannot say who exactly he worked for but i know he was a friend of my husbands and he was blown up along with 4 other guys in a humvee. this was within the last month. i personally have almost lost my husband 3 times, twice to poison attacks and one to an IED remember folks----we don't hear the real truth through the media. this is a war. plain and simple

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sean in Saint Louis, Missouri

87 months ago

laine khoury,
thanks for your input, it was somewhat helpful describing the life there but keep in mind that this is a war zone and when you sign up going there your not going to Disneyland . for all the benefit that military folks and their family gets home that is true but also keep in mind that when you sign up for the military is to SERVE YOUR COUNTRY not about money but that is just a myth I guess . I am glad your husband is ok and hopes he will come safe.
Let’s not forget that this job is not for everyone…. If you have family and kids … I personally don’t think it’s a good idea but again the economy is pushing people to do whatever it takes and that being said , YOUR NOT IN A POSSITION TO COMPLAIN because NO ONE IS FORCING these linguists to go out there…. Its an great opportunity and it comes with a price .. are you willing to pay that price ? and that keeps taking us to same conclusion “CHOICE” .
I look at it if you are making $50k a year and about $35k or maybe more goes to (mortgage /car payment/insurance /TAX/bills and bills and more bills………
Now you have a chance to make 120/year (first 90k tax free) and no expenses at all… since you eat and live pretty much for free (lets say you will spend about $10k that year) u have a net income for 110$ WOW… your not millionaire but damn you can better your financial life style ….. and this is MY opinion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

exactly it is a war zone and the ones that sign up for the military go to serve this country and so did alot of the linquist. i'm not saying they don't get paid what i am saying is that gls has no right mid game to forcefully change the compensation and yet these guys are still doing the same job. if you were hired to flip a burger for $10/hr but you had to go thousand of mile from home to get that job and you accepted and then 2 months later your employer comes to you and says hey we are changing your pay to $7/hr. don't like it?? tough find your own way home. would you feel this was acceptable???? you're right we all make choices. and we all have free will but like you said yourself circumstances make people do drastic things. why should anyone make it any harder on any of us? it's called a conscience. and gls at times seems to have lost theirs. you do know they have already been compensated by the government for these linquist and their contracts. where does the extra $10million they will be pocketing go??? in case you were not aware that is what gls stands to gain by cutting these guys pays. hazard and hardships pays that are set by the state dept. not them. life isn't black and white. all the grays inbetween is what will make or break you. God willing most of our forces will come home safe and sound and our country will continue to prosper. but not if we continue to cut each others throat. don't judge anyone till you have walked in their shoes. and don't question their choices. some choices are the hardest to make. you can't imagine how it felt to see you spouse of 30yrs have to turn around and walk away from you because he feels honor bound to do his duty. my husband made far more money at home. he never went for the money. he went to serve. as he has done before and will probably do again if asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Panama City, Florida

87 months ago

Sean;

It is very funny reading your 2 posts. You never been in to Iraq and really you don't know what you are talkng about. Let me shed some light and facts so you would be informed. Unlike sitting in your living room and watching events unfold in your TV, you will be taking part in what is going on in Iraq. I spent years in Iraq working with our Army. I found out many linguists who share your enthusiasm and found the money quite appealling, could not stay more than couple weeks. They simply quit and find the money so little and unimportant when IED's exploded next to their convoys and mortars continue falling on their fobs. Not all the money in the world is worth losing a leg or a hand or both or other parts of your body. Unlike the soldiers, linguists are not covered for disability under the DOD insurance. So if you got disabled you are on your own. The issue here is not about money. However it is about the respect and appreciation of the work the linguists do in support of our troops and our Army in defeating the terrorists. If you think the money is good and going there simply because the pay is good, DON't GO and you will be SORRY! Have a nice day....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abdullah in Iraq

87 months ago

Don't even think about GLS .. Those guys are gonna show you the low part of life when they treat you worse than an animal in cage .. GLS are the worst company that history have ever seen .. I am a local national and most of who served in Iraq know that GLS/L3/Titan don't care about you once you sign up the contract your beyond the garbage for them ..
screw them all ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Former GLS Linguist in Canton, Michigan

87 months ago

To answer your question about GLS’ linguists being killed just visit (search.mcclatchydc.com/search-bin/search.pl.cgi?product=pubsys&live_template=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcclatchydc.com%2F193%2Findex.html&collection=ENDECA_INDEX&fields=*&preview_template=http%3A%2F%2Fpreview.mcclatchydc.com%2F193%2Findex.html&results_per_page=25&aggregate_key=meta_rollup&sort=pubsys_pubobj_publish_dt+desc&target=mcclatchydc&sf_meta_product=pubsys&sf_meta_site=McClatchyDC&s_site=mcclatchydc&sf_pubsys_story=Round-up+of+Daily+Violence+in+Iraq&daterange=&x=10&y=5) to get the answer. Linguists are still going outside the wire on a daily basis. I am getting the impression that it’s ok to be called names by GLS’ staff since you get the same here, sorry to hear that from you Sean, I guess if you are ready and willing to sell your pride, dignity and honor with the excuse of bad economy, most of us are not willing to do so, men make the money but money never makes men.

87 months ago

You’re absolutely right; at least in McDonalds they won’t call you names like “damn Arab cockroaches”!!!

87 months ago

I believe there is a misunderstanding about the whole issue. Most of GLS’ Linguists are not fighting for the money; they’re fighting for the principle. GLS claims it was asked to cut the expenses, I’ll buy that, but how GLS was supposed to do it? Did GLS run any evaluation to all its linguists across the board? NO. Did GLS take the linguists’ working years in consideration? NO. Imagine if you are an LTC and the Army suddenly decides to pay you the same salary as 2LT, Or if you are SGM and they decide to pay you a PVT’ pay and if you refuse to comply you’ll be called “damn Arab cockroaches”, what would you do? Please don’t be judgmental and try to get all the facts before posting your comment here. No company in USA would even think about doing to its workers what GLS has done to its linguists in Iraq, do you know why? Because most of the linguists were not brought up to defend their rights because most of them were not born in USA. Please go to (www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/03/military-translators-war) to read what Bruce Falconer wrote about GLS and the linguists’ protest.

sarab ali in Wylie, Texas

87 months ago

why gls do that ? it was l-3 before and now gls . it is same company and same people .they just changed the name but it is same people .

Jeff in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

laine khoury in Longwood, Florida said: i honestly don't know what other companies are hiring linquists for duties in iraq. my husband actually started with L-3 Communications and their contract was taken over by GLS. as far as i know gls is the major provider of linquists right now. as you have probably read from some of the other folks on this forum, many have been waiting for a year or more to go forward with gls. i really would not count on this company for my living.
my husband has been in iraq since december of 2006. a very long time. he remains there because he feels duty bound to serve his country and he feels as though he is making a difference in the lives of some of the soldiers he meets (he constantly stands up for the soldiers when he feels they are not being treated properly by their superiors) and the iraqi people. the second reason he stays on is because we (i) need the health insurance he gets with gls, i have some very serious medical problems. we pray that he will not remain there much longer. good luck with whatever you decide to do. you will be in my prayers.

I am with Mission Essential Personnel and we just recieved a limited number of jobs for individuals who speak/read/write Arabic (Iraqi) and Kurdish. We have jobs and filling them in the next 1-2 weeks. Please contact me via my email at jeff.krider@missionep.com to discuss more and to apply for the position. We offer competitive salary and great benefits. Check out our website at www.missionep.com
Thanks

Jeff in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

HAZEM in Birmingham, Alabama said: I am still in the middle of the process of getting hired by GLS,have not been to virginia yet but done with the midecal and the language test ,my question is are they still hiring Arabic linquist or they stopped hiring please verify.thanks

We are hiring Arabic and Kurdish translators and the positions are filling up fast; 1-2 weeks before done. If you are interest please email me at jeff.krider@missionep.com for more information. You can also check out our website and www.missionep.com
We offer competitive salary and great benefits. We hire translators for work all around the world.

digger1 in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

whats up? Is there any work any where ? The whole idea is getting farther and farther away.

87 months ago

Be aware of companies that are directing their employees to infiltrate these blogs with their recruiting efforts. We all know reputation is what its all about for us and especially the companies we've all worked for. I was contacted by calnet last week about working at the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. I enjoyed my time with the Army but working with diplomats seems pretty interesting. They said you need a clearance and speak English and Arabic (and/or) Kurdish and can type. My friend works for them in Gitmo and speaks very highly of them. I sent them my resume and am supposed to talk to someone to assess my language. We'll see.
One question, How much more talk of GLS can be said here? If you are not happy, quit and enjoy your family, or find a company with a good reputation.

Jeff in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

Iraq is Ok in Ashburn, Virginia said: Be aware of companies that are directing their employees to infiltrate these blogs with their recruiting efforts. We all know reputation is what its all about for us and especially the companies we've all worked for. I was contacted by calnet last week about working at the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. I enjoyed my time with the Army but working with diplomats seems pretty interesting. They said you need a clearance and speak English and Arabic (and/or) Kurdish and can type. My friend works for them in Gitmo and speaks very highly of them. I sent them my resume and am supposed to talk to someone to assess my language. We'll see.
One question, How much more talk of GLS can be said here? If you are not happy, quit and enjoy your family, or find a company with a good reputation.

Our company has a great reputation; just search through the web and check out our website. We were asked by INSCOM to help fill some positions in Iraq. We are not GLS and not affiliated with them at all so feel free to contact me for more information. If you are a skilled translator and want to work for the best please email me at jeff.krider@missionep.com
Thanks,
Jeff

maha in Wylie, Texas

87 months ago

can i apply too???

Jeff in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

maha in Wylie, Texas said: can i apply too???

You can apply anytime; just send me an email with your contact information. I am not able to post my phone number on this site. These positions are high priority and will be filled by next Sunday, April 5th 2009. We have CAT I, CAT II, and CAT III positions available for Arabic/Kurdish.

87 months ago

Jeff in Columbus, Ohio said: You can apply anytime; just send me an email with your contact information. I am not able to post my phone number on this site. These positions are high priority and will be filled by next Sunday, April 5th 2009. We have CAT I, CAT II, and CAT III positions available for Arabic/Kurdish.

Mr. Jeff. I guess I'm concerned that a company is paying their employees to monitor chat rooms and continually drop in their companies information. This is what we worry about, companies concerned only about the $$ and not our welfare.
I don't know if Maha was replying to you or me or whoever, but I'm just a peer of hers and passed along a Companys number I have been talking with.
I would think that if people wanted to contact your company they'd have done it already. Nothing wrong with your Company, I guess, just surprised you spend your day here in the "Venting" room.

I'm pretty new to this discussion but I've never seen any other companies troll for people like this. Hey, if it works, good for you, just wierd.

jj in Arlington Heights, Illinois

86 months ago

BREAKING NEWS: GLS IS LOSING THE CONTRACT

Announcement in Canton, Michigan

86 months ago

If you are CAT II or CAT III US Linguist who quit, resigned or was fired by GLS and interested to resume working in Iraq as a US Linguist, please e-mail us immediately at joe.james86@yahoo.com to direct your e-mail to one of the Linguists’ Companies in Iraq which is currently hiring former GLS CAT II and CAT III on the spot.

86 months ago

Funny.... Here goes another company guy (although he's hiding quite poorly) telling you his is better than GLS. If they are actually hiring "on the spot", why do they have the room to do so with so many linguists looking for work? Probably another company looking to stack us four-high in a room in Reston. Stay with companies we all know that treat people humanely.

lainekhoury in Altamonte Springs, Florida

86 months ago

where did you hear that GLS was losing their oontract??? i have not seen anything in regards to this matter.

Humanely??? in Canton, Michigan

86 months ago

Iraq is Ok in Ashburn, Virginia said: Funny.... Here goes another company guy (although he's hiding quite poorly) telling you his is better than GLS. If they are actually hiring "on the spot", why do they have the room to do so with so many linguists looking for work? Probably another company looking to stack us four-high in a room in Reston. Stay with companies we all know that treat people humanely.

You’re really funny…GLS treats its linguists humanely??? Haven’t you heard about GLS calling US Arabic Linguists cockroaches and damn Arabs? Humanely???yeah, you can say that again!!!

Linguists v. GLS Update in Canton, Michigan

86 months ago

Go to US Linguists web site at www.americanlinguists.com/ to check the recent update on Linguists v. GLS

laine khoury in Altamonte Springs, Florida

86 months ago

my husband works in iraq for L-3 which now is a subcontractor for GLS. i know he is interested in work here in the states. he is working on his resume and will be actively looking for work state side very shortly. he does have his security clearance already and is a us citizen. the units he has worked with have nothing but praise for him and his work. he has recieved two letters of recommendations from two of the commanding officers. we would appreciate any information you can send us. i will say this though, although my husband along with most other linquists was not happy with the pay cut, he himself feels he has been treated well and with respect while in iraq.

stevooo in Amman, Jordan

86 months ago

hi again guys please i want to apply job with us army as translator from my place here in jordan please can any body give me any name of company or site so imay be able to to it

my regards to all .............please EMAIL ME :: here::stev_there2@yahoo.com

AL in Columbus, Georgia

86 months ago

I was denied interim security clearence for some reason { still trying to find out the reason} GLS told me they are going to down grade me from catII to cat I and try to get force protection in order for me to go to Iraq. My question is, what is the Force Protection and what is the difference between force protection and interim clearence?if my interim clearnce was denied ,how easy it is to get Force Protection?

Old Reliable in Manassas, Virginia

86 months ago

laine khoury in Lake Mary, Florida said: i would say this is a ploy to postpone you going to virginia. one guy who went to virginia was sent home a because they said he didn't pass a stress test they gave him for his heart so they said he had to be seen by his doctor. his doctor told him that it wasn't that he didn't pass the stress test (and his is perfectly fine) but that the doctor in virginia didn't keep him on the treadmill long enough to get a reading. this was done so that they could delay this guys training because they were backed up with other liquists and couldn't get all of them processed. as far as background checks go----on guy has a cat 3 clearance and has been waiting for his cat 4 for over a year. he had his final interview for the cat 4 about 12 months ago and still no word. i would not believe a word these people tell you to be honest. i'm sorry, it all sounds good but truthfully it is far from it. and you will not make anywhere near what they say you will. they say around $190k no way more like $150k and it is not all tax free, only the first $80k so be very careful!!!

Laine,

FYI - There is no such thing as a CAT 4 linguist. CAT III (3) is the highest level you can go which means that you have a TS with SCI access. On another note, due to the rising security situation worldwide, i wouldn't exactly broadcast this information over a public forum. You have no idea who could be on here fishing for information.

Not Tax Free, Check it out yourself in Canton, Michigan

86 months ago

I hate to disappoint you about the $80K tax free, I know it will sound weird and too many people who will read this comment will wonder and question but you can ask your CPA or use tax software to find out for yourself. We were always told that the first $87600 of our income is tax free for year 2008, well it’s not, and the IRS still taxes you for this $87600 but in a different way. I will give you an example: suppose your gross income for year 2008 was $150000, if you are not claiming any other things that would change your income or adjusted income then your adjusted gross income is $62400 (which is $15000 - $87600) then you deduct standard or itemized deduction ( let’s say $15000) plus $7000 for exemptions (you, your spouse 2 X $3500 = $7000), now your total deductions is $15000 + $7000 = $22000. Now you subtract $22000 from your adjusted gross income $62400 and the result will be your taxable income which in our example will be $62400 - $22000 = $40400. Now, here is the trick that nobody noticed before, If your $87600 is actually tax free you should be able to use the Tax Table to figure out how much Tax you should be paying on your taxable income (married filing joint for example) which in our example you should be taxed $5261 on your $40400 taxable income, but for your surprise the actual tax you will be paying for your taxable income ($40400) will be $9943 (not $5261). In conclusion, when you earn income while working overseas (as in your case) and file Foreign Income Credit Form 2555 (part of filling your income tax) to be eligible for the $87600 tax free then you are not eligible to use the Tax Table to figure out how much tax you owe on your income, instead you use Tax Computation that will result at the end in paying 189% of the Tax amount shown on the Tax Table for your taxable income (as shown in the example) which basically means that your $87600 is not Tax Free as we were always told.

laine khoury in Altamonte Springs, Florida

86 months ago

Old Reliable in Manassas, Virginia said: Laine,

FYI - There is no such thing as a CAT 4 linguist. CAT III (3) is the highest level you can go which means that you have a TS with SCI access. On another note, due to the rising security situation worldwide, i wouldn't exactly broadcast this information over a public forum. You have no idea who could be on here fishing for information.

you're right. i was mistaken on the cat clearances. my husband did explain this to me. i apologize for my previous mistake. and you are also right in regards to what should be posted on a public forum such as this. what i do know is that my husband does a extraordinary job for the troops and for this country and he is extremely proud of what he has been able to do to help the USA fight this "war on terror" and that is the bottom line. it is a war and we are fighting terrorists hell bent on wiping us out. so i hope everyone out there will continue to support our troops and the many civilians working with them to keep us safe every day.

jmoe in Alexandria, Virginia

85 months ago

can you explain to me what PECEN mean,

thank you

jmoe in Alexandria, Virginia

85 months ago

what PECEN mean

thank you

linda in Skokie, Illinois

85 months ago

QUOTE who="jj in Arlington Heights, Illinois"]BREAKING NEWS: GLS IS LOSING THE CONTRACT[/QUjj jj what do you mean that gls is losing the CONTRACT

mustafa

85 months ago

All of what’s been said is fair enough, but what i realized in the discussion is that nobody mentioned anything about local Iraqi linguists that are in most cases only being payed $1000 or less no benefits what so ever no bonuses no hazardous pay.
And being taxed at the same time and they're working much harder than any other type of linguists.
If others think you're screwed by your contract then look again, Iraqis are not even given a copy of their contract in an addition to the demeaning treatment That in most cases the linguist is threatened to be fired or even worse. Again work hours are ridicules somewhere between 12 and 24 hours daily, especially when their only paid $1000 bucks, most units take full advantage of those 24 hours. GLS has to be fair with the amount of risk their local linguists are sacrificing and realize that without the local linguist’s aid mission success will be minimum…

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »