Working for GLS in Iraq - Your Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 406)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

DOUMA in Bellevue, Washington

78 months ago

Please If anyone work with GLS right now like Abdo keep us updated on the situation of GLS/linguists in Iraq so those who are still going through the hiring process would be aware and not waste their time by the recruiters who are vague with their answers. To date no one was sent to Iraq since December 18.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany

78 months ago

i just would like to add that GLS is conducting a very difficult language written test including arabic grammer to a lot of lingists here in Baghdad ,so that the good ones may stay if there is work for them ,and those who are not so good will be sent home,this will ensure that the bad ones are sent home first.

wendy in Seattle, Washington

78 months ago

Maha said: GLS are the worst company ever,you might like GLS cause no other company will take you,i can tell from your perfect english,that is how bad GLS standard is,and it is people like you who mess everything up for good linguist.

Pardon me! As if you know the first thing about English...Your comment is grammatically atrocious. I can only hope English is not a native tongue for you and that you can communicate effectively in your native tongue (which you should stick with).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: Well i o not think that you will be going to Iraq,cause there are like 100 people,living in a tent,awaiting new assignment,and there are none.i did not know of any new linguist coming to Iraq for a long time,the onlt reason why you got training is because GLS also makes money from it,after which you are sent home to wait,but so you will know that you are waiting for nothing,cause no one is going to call you,it is the end over here in Iraq right now,an it is good for you too,how is it you are going to give up your 7yr ol for this job,thinking that its for your kids future,while its nothing but greed from you,i hope you do not get the job,you are not a good mother.

And you, my friend, are not a good human.

Wast of time in Easton, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: Well i o not think that you will be going to Iraq,cause there are like 100 people,living in a tent,awaiting new assignment,and there are none.i did not know of any new linguist coming to Iraq for a long time,the onlt reason why you got training is because GLS also makes money from it,after which you are sent home to wait,but so you will know that you are waiting for nothing,cause no one is going to call you,it is the end over here in Iraq right now,an it is good for you too,how is it you are going to give up your 7yr ol for this job,thinking that its for your kids future,while its nothing but greed from you,i hope you do not get the job,you are not a good mother.

Gls process people to collecte money ,after u finish the process they send you home after they wast ur time and made u leave ur current job ,then you go home with out any thing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Maximis in Apo said: Hi..
how is everyone is doing, i would like to tag my comment as an interpreter working for the GLS company in Iraq, my concern is i see many peoples blaming GLS that they are careless towards thier interpreters. i am here i never ever seen any faults of them, and by the way they don't force anyone to work for themso if you don't like them don't be shame just quit or whatever you want.
i am telling you guys somethin we all know that they pay a little for us but how ever there no a few good jobs like that maybe there is ever not for some peopels and here is something else that we have chance gget rid of iraq like going to the U.S. (states).

With my respect and best regards for everyone in this forums.

To tell u the truth we are not blaming gls for not having jobs ,why are blaming them to bring people and tell them there is job for them when there isnt,just dont lie to the linguist alot of people leave there jobs then theyget sent home ,is that fair

78 months ago

walid2511 in Port Orange, Florida said: can you tell me why ? , save me the trouble?

Idont think he is gonna be going any where near Iraq any time soon ,its not because something wrong with him its because Gls is just playing him for process money

lila in Auburn, Washington

78 months ago

Wast of time in Easton, Pennsylvania said: Gls process people to collecte money ,after u finish the process they send you home after they wast ur time and made u leave ur current job ,then you go home with out any thing

This sucks. Aren't they worried about a lawsuit? Anyone talk to a lawyer? Their practices sound unlawful as well as manipulative and abusive. I am so sorry for people that have quit their jobs and in other ways sacrificed their well-being for a greedy misrepresentation.

My husband in in VA now. He says they told everyone at the end of the first week that the program was on hold for now. However, they still have to finish the training (or pay their own airfare home). Can you believe it? Plus, even after that announcement was made, tons of new people are continuing to be brought in. No one told them, but they began to suspect that GLS was making money off the training (otherwise it just didn't make sense). I came upon this site and reported back to them over there in VA. They feel totally used.

Douma in Seattle, Washington

78 months ago

The Gold mine of GLS jobs in Iraq is over. It is great that many people in this forum figured out that GLS get money processing each candidate by sending him through training in Virginia. By their own admission they told me they didn't send anyone in Iraq since December of 2009! and they have a waiting list of people who already have clearance to go to Iraq!

By the way does anyone know who you arrange for lodging and food when you go to Virginia? Do they accommodate the candidates or do they have to pay out of their pocket for hotels and stuff. I personally will tell the recruiter to withdraw my application because the whole thing stinks and the Jobs in Iraq are over. The thing I know is they have a 5 year contract until 2013 but it is already over know, that's why they are just processing people to fill the contract requirements or so to say.

lila in Seattle, Washington

78 months ago

Douma in Seattle, Washington said: The Gold mine of GLS jobs in Iraq is over. It is great that many people in this forum figured out that GLS get money processing each candidate by sending him through training in Virginia. By their own admission they told me they didn't send anyone in Iraq since December of 2009! and they have a waiting list of people who already have clearance to go to Iraq!

By the way does anyone know who you arrange for lodging and food when you go to Virginia? Do they accommodate the candidates or do they have to pay out of their pocket for hotels and stuff. I personally will tell the recruiter to withdraw my application because the whole thing stinks and the Jobs in Iraq are over. The thing I know is they have a 5 year contract until 2013 but it is already over know, that's why they are just processing people to fill the contract requirements or so to say.

They pay for your food and lodging, and it does sound like Arab camp! I heard that in some ways it's a blast (especially if you haven't had contact with your community for a long while as was the case for my husband). The first night he hung out drinking coffee all night with 3 old Kurdish men and the next day he was swimming in the pool with Arabs from everywhere in the world. And, today, he's been sending me photos from the Smithsonian and other DC sites. I've certainly gotten the impression it's an intense bonding experience.

So if you don't have to quit your job or leave a child for two, it might be worth it. It's too bad they can't just be up front, however. Instead of getting everyone's hopes up. I will say that IF you speak Kurdish in addition to Arabic, your prospects MAY be entirely different. I'm not sure about this, but it's an impression I've gotten. I THINK they may still be sending Kurdish-English-Arabic speakers to Iraq. They are definitely trying to recruit them, at any rate. Those in this thread who are in Iraq will know better about this.

78 months ago

leave a child for two "WEEKS" I meant to say.

A Wife A Wife in somewhere

78 months ago

Hello Everyone,
Nice to come across this forum. My husband works for GLS and is in Iraq now. He was sent there in October of 2009. They played with him and many others for months in Ga. He was there for about 5 months in a hotel. So many times he wanted to just say forget it and come home but we were committed to this and I'm happy to say that financially it was a great decision. Some people are right abut the people being held in tents there awaiting an assignment or being sent home. He was lucky being a US Citizen with great english, along with a BA not MA like someone has posted before. He has his clearance and hopes to be there until the end of the year God willing.
I am blown away by some of the weak english being used here by people who say they work for GLS. I've seen that online test, I've watched my husband do the telephone tests.....anyway :)
Good luck in whatever y'all choose to do!

78 months ago

A Wife A Wife in somewhere said: Hello Everyone,
Nice to come across this forum. My husband works for GLS and is in Iraq now. He was sent there in October of 2009. They played with him and many others for months in Ga. He was there for about 5 months in a hotel. So many times he wanted to just say forget it and come home but we were committed to this and I'm happy to say that financially it was a great decision. Some people are right abut the people being held in tents there awaiting an assignment or being sent home. He was lucky being a US Citizen with great english, along with a BA not MA like someone has posted before. He has his clearance and hopes to be there until the end of the year God willing.
I am blown away by some of the weak english being used here by people who say they work for GLS. I've seen that online test, I've watched my husband do the telephone tests.....anyway :)
Good luck in whatever y'all choose to do!

I believe everyone is a US citizen now--you must be a citizen to be considered at this point. I'm confused about your MA, BA reference. MA is a Master's Degree which one acquires after having gotten a BA. Therefore, it's a a superior degree by any measure.

Anyway, as regards futue linguist prospects in Iraq, I can only say that troop withdrawal is a good thing, an indicator of the progress that's been made in Iraq even if it sucks for our personal fortunes. I have to remind myself of that.

A Wife A Wife in somewhere

78 months ago

lila in Seattle, Washington said: I believe everyone is a US citizen now--you must be a citizen to be considered at this point. I'm confused about your MA, BA reference. MA is a Master's Degree which one acquires after having gotten a BA. Therefore, it's a a superior degree by any measure.

Anyway, as regards futue linguist prospects in Iraq, I can only say that troop withdrawal is a good thing, an indicator of the progress that's been made in Iraq even if it sucks for our personal fortunes. I have to remind myself of that.

I was not aware that you had to be degreed with either Masters or Bachelors. I was just commenting on something that was mentioned in another comment. They said "you must have MA to be hired" this must not be true because my husband only has a BA soooo :)

I agree with you about pulling out. As much as the income is helping in the hard economic time there are much greater things that are being accomplished and insha'Allah things will get better for the Iraqi people.

Have a nice day....

Mudher in Jacksonville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Hello my name is mudher i'm iraqi man i can speek arabic can find a job in GLS company please help me if u can my email is al_raheel@yahoo.com thank you.

Bok in Seattle, Washington

78 months ago

Mudher in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Hello my name is mudher i'm iraqi man i can speek arabic can find a job in GLS company please help me if u can my email is al_raheel@yahoo.com thank you.

Mudher or whatever, you are ruining the conversation here. You see people talking about GLS sending back people and not sending anybody to Iraq for months and we are talking about US citizen let alone Iraqis. Then you put your posting here checking about a Job with GLS. That is quite dumb, then your English is horrible, you don't qualify for a linguist anywhere.

78 months ago

with GLS any one who can hardly writ his name in English ,will qualify,to work as Linguist ranked as cat-i,cat 2,and cat 3 all us citizen,an all dumb,iam here at baghdad right now ,and i have seen it all.

MOE in Boston, Massachusetts

78 months ago

HI LILA, thx for your information plz keep updating us with ur news coz
i would like to know if i quit my job or no, my VA processing is next month.
Do you have any idea when ur husband will be send to Iraq?
thank you and GOD protect your husband .

78 months ago

MOE in Boston, Massachusetts said: HI LILA, thx for your information plz keep updating us with ur news coz
i would like to know if i quit my job or no, my VA processing is next month.
Do you have any idea when ur husband will be send to Iraq?
thank you and GOD protect your husband .

DO not quit your job!!!! Try asking your recruiter straightforward questions. Our recruiter was somewhat up front--she said "I can promise you'll go to Virginia, but I can promise nothing beyond that." Ask if they are sending the people in training now to Iraq. Ask how many people are ahead of you. Ask if they have a surplus of translators in Iraq.

Another reason not to quit your job is my husband reported that many people (one third) failed the language testing there and they have told him about half fail security clearance (which his group hasn't done yet).

78 months ago

Someone should confront GLS about these dishonest practices. They are deceiving people as they are making money on the number of candidates they process. They are giving people false hope. When you ask them something they say it's not us who decide it's the Army in Iraq while this is true they are not honest about the rest.
To go through the training candidates are taking time off work or using their vacation time for nothing. They just should say we are stopping taking candidates for linguists positions in Iraq as we have some of them send back from Iraq. Then stop posting the Arabic Linguist position on their website. Isn't that better to be straight forward? In any case even if there will be a few opening I'm sure that won't be enough to hire the huge number of candidates who passed all the hurdles and are waiting to go. What do you guys think?

78 months ago

Hi, does anybody know how long will take to be shiped to Iraq after the 2 weeks in VA
done? thank and GOD bless.

78 months ago

iam at Baghdad now,an you will never see it,cause they will never need anyone,over her ,they have over 100 on standby.just go home,it is a wast of time.

78 months ago

Abdo you r telling me that and this week there is more than 20 leaving from CRC to iraq,and there more than 30 in VA processing leaving after 2 weeks to iraq.
tell how????????????

78 months ago

Moe, Abdo is not telling you more than 20 leaving from CRC to iraq and more than 30 in VA processing leaving after 2 weeks to Iraq. You are saying that.

There is a difference between reality and wishful thinking. As it was mentioned before if you red the messages posted, it looks like GLS get money when they process candidate in VA and GA.

78 months ago

HI Douma, what was the answer from your recruiter when u asked him all that question?
and when they told u u will be in VA? thx.
About me my schedule is 14 may in VA I was told that i will be back home for a week
and than 5 days in CRC GA straight to Iraq.pls keep informing me coz im scared
to quit my job. GOD bless you.

78 months ago

No one being processed is leaving after processing. My husband (in VA now) said that they made an official announcement during processing last week (this week is the beginning of his second week) that the program is "ON HOLD" and they are not sending anyone to Iraq for the indefinite future. Still, more and more people continue to arrive for training. Everyone there is confused and frustrated and very very disappointed.

As I said before, GLS will not even pay the return airfare for the people who are there now doing the processing to leave early. They are still requiring them to complete their training in order to get their paid plane ticket home. People feel manipulated. Do not quit your job!

78 months ago

thank you Lila for you help, I'm asking GOD to help your husband and to help us
from this dificult life, tell me nobody asked them there why they still bring
poeple to VA why they r treating people like that ??????????
take care GOD bless you.

78 months ago

Thank you, Moe. I expect there will be a lawsuit at some point. But my husband is okay. He didn't have a job to quit. It breaks my heart to think people are quitting their jobs to take up their false offers. Everyone please document the conversations. Ask for promises in writing.

They will say "it's not up to us". You could say "okay but is it your understanding that there are still jobs in Iraq? Can I quote you on that?" What a pack of liars they are!

Douma in Seattle, Washington

78 months ago

There is this position for Arabic Linguist in Virginia, it does not require clearance. Just one year of experience, the company is called STG so why go to Iraq?

cr.stginc.com/careers/Careers.aspx?adata=aWuEGmUV%2fugVDdz6ANRnsOMubZ%2fASmFZjcob1hZUhfATgUg526n%2bYv1USXIoSIz5vJxfXOq0NSGlUqURFKunotaAnsEmeDhl

78 months ago

i will beleive it when they are on the plane,an even if they do make it,as i said there are 3 tents full of girls,and 12 tents full of men all linguists a mix of cat i cat 2,a total of 120 all are waiting for new assignments.The max period of time for any to stay in tents is one month.By the way the HZ and HS for staying in Kuwait has just been droped from 20% of basic pay to 10%,but this should not have much effect on those just passing by,cause you will only stay there for one or two days.I will keep you guys informed of the changes,since iam here,so just ask.

78 months ago

do not drop your present job,wait till you are done with VA,cause when it is time to go CRC,at that time, GLS should be in a position to tell you the real truth,wait till :
1- you pass medical
2- you pass language test
3- Most important CI ,for your clearance.
then GLS can or should be able to tell you that for sure you are going or not,see if you can get something in writting from them,
good luck

Moon in Apo

78 months ago

I'm in the theater right now and I heard from roamers about an Arabic and English exams,
Does anyone know what type of exams? Reading, writing...etc
And give me an example please.

78 months ago

Abdo, I know that GLS contract ends in the end of 2011 beginning of 2012 at the most. This coming August the number of troops in Iraq will be cut in half. How do you see things evolving from your perspective? Will you renew your contract after one year or come back to the US?

I hope GLS does not continue to con so many candidates for that long. I will just take the phone test since it is scheduled and then tell the recruiter that I'm not going to Virginia unless there are actual people sent to Iraq. GLS also work in Afghanistan where the focus is now and they are recruiting Pashtu speakers who are hard to find in US.

78 months ago

Yah they did start an exame for a few days ,but now they stopped doing it,so do not worry about it.

Rawsht_nasa in Korek, Iraq

78 months ago

Please, How can you help me? to be an interpreter with GLS company in Erbil or KIrkuk city....

78 months ago

well the contract is renewed auto if your military card is valid,and most of those that are here,their cards are valid till 30-Dec-2010,as it is very difficult to renew or obtain one now a days.But for those who are new,it should not be an issue,cause you will get a new card before you leave US,that is if you are going to leave US.

78 months ago

Hi Abdo , do u have any idea when we have chance to be deployed to iraq after VA done?
i know we should wait for long but im asking u maybe u have any idea ?
around july august??????????/ thx GOD protect u there.

Moon in Apo

78 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: Yah they did start an exame for a few days ,but now they stopped doing it,so do not worry about it.

Thanks Abdo, your response much appreciated

78 months ago

no one can pick his own location,not even GLS ,the army get to decide,

78 months ago

no one can answer your question,cuase you might wait forever,but i have not known anyone coming from the US for very long time.

78 months ago

Petition is needed:

Candidates who went through GLS hiring process all the way to CRC in Georgia and were sent home or even candidates who went to Virginia in addition to other people enticed by GLS to apply should write a petition to force GLS to come clean about the prospect of Iraq Linguist jobs in Iraq. GLS can get an answer from the Government if they want to, half the troops will be out by August, there are stories of linguist on standby to by sent home living in a tent in Iraq etc... and GLS are playing games processing applications of candidates to fulfill their "contract" I guess at candidates expenses. They are misleading people and that is dishonest. They can come straight and say we have enough linguists now until the end of the contracts and we actually will reduce the number of linguists we have in the theater and save people time, money and mental torment. You can also write to your congressman to clarify the issue and end this masquerade. Let's hope people wake up and take action and not be passive and get ripped off.

78 months ago

Douma,

We have a very responsive senator in our state (WA). I actually spoke to a lawyer pal yesterday and he recommended writing Patty Murray as a first step. I would be very surprised if Patty's office didn't follow up. It would be fantastic if they could hear from more than one person.

78 months ago

I will clarify that the candidates do not pay for airfare (unless they leave before the processing is completed), food or lodging while in VA.

78 months ago

Douma ur right, I'm going to a lawyer this afternoon.

78 months ago

NEW INFO ====== Guys even if you go to CRC,that still does not mean that you are going to Iraq

78 months ago

Hi Abdo , how ? who r in CRC max they will stay for week , what they wanna do there?
and no place to stay for long.

78 months ago

Abdo it would be great if you can get us inside info about the future of the contract with GLS in Iraq. The contract run until 2013 but half the troops will be out this coming August. From your experience how many linguists per troops are needed, if that ratio is known it makes easy to figure out the need for linguists like they have more than what they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

A very good question
As of Aug 2010 the total of US Army should be 50,000.US Army used to have a lot of contact with Iraqi,but now it is very little,so before i would say for every

one linguist = 20 US Army
But Now - After July 2010
one linguist = 30 to 35 US Army
But do not forget that there are like 4000 plus here
I do not know were did you get the info that GLS are contracted till 2013,cause all the LOA that every one has ends by the end of 2011,and so does their contract.This info might not be true,please double check !!!!! by end of June 2010,i would say a lot of the linguist will be going home,cause that is when there will be a major US Army cut down.

78 months ago

Here is the link for the article: www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=18279&t=1&c=17&cg=3&mset=1031

Having a contract for 5 yeas singed in 2008 means it ends in 2013 but that doesn't mean they will keep hiring as US troops are cut by half. It seem the remaining years will be managing what is already left from the contract and not send any more linguist as it already happens.

According to your number there will be probably a need for just 2500 linguist to work with the 50k troops until the end of the contract.

a wife in Metairie, Louisiana

78 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: with GLS any one who can hardly writ his name in English ,will qualify,to work as Linguist ranked as cat-i,cat 2,and cat 3 all us citizen,an all dumb,iam here at baghdad right now ,and i have seen it all.

wow that's the pot calling the kettle black! my husband is there now and has been enployed by GLS for a year now and he is far from dumb! so all you're doing now is name calling and you can categorizing "ALL" gls linguists! do you personally know "ALL" linguists working for gls in (NOT AT) Iraq? hmmm i didn't think so. seems you have more problems to deal with other than gls.

just curious about one thing....are you dumb? you did say "ALL" and you did say "YOU ARE THERE NOW"

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.