Working for GLS in Iraq - Your Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 407)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

DOUMA in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

Here is the link for the article: www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=18279&t=1&c=17&cg=3&mset=1031

Having a contract for 5 yeas singed in 2008 means it ends in 2013 but that doesn't mean they will keep hiring as US troops are cut by half. It seem the remaining years will be managing what is already left from the contract and not send any more linguist as it already happens.

According to your number there will be probably a need for just 2500 linguist to work with the 50k troops until the end of the contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

a wife in Metairie, Louisiana

53 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: with GLS any one who can hardly writ his name in English ,will qualify,to work as Linguist ranked as cat-i,cat 2,and cat 3 all us citizen,an all dumb,iam here at baghdad right now ,and i have seen it all.

wow that's the pot calling the kettle black! my husband is there now and has been enployed by GLS for a year now and he is far from dumb! so all you're doing now is name calling and you can categorizing "ALL" gls linguists! do you personally know "ALL" linguists working for gls in (NOT AT) Iraq? hmmm i didn't think so. seems you have more problems to deal with other than gls.

just curious about one thing....are you dumb? you did say "ALL" and you did say "YOU ARE THERE NOW"

a wife in Metairie, Louisiana

53 months ago

MOE in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hi, does anybody know how long will take to be shiped to Iraq after the 2 weeks in VA
done? thank and GOD bless.

my husband went to VA then came home for a few weeks then was sent to Ga where he sat with many others in hotels for almost five months. more than 75% of those people were sent home either for failure of clearance or other reasons. he was finally sent to Iraq and has been there for 7 months.

i guess you just never know how long anything will take with them.

Zee in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

a wife in Metairie, Louisiana said: my husband went to VA then came home for a few weeks then was sent to Ga where he sat with many others in hotels for almost five months. more than 75% of those people were sent home either for failure of clearance or other reasons. he was finally sent to Iraq and has been there for 7 months.

i guess you just never know how long anything will take with them.

I think your husband went to Iraq last year because the last time GLS sent anyone to Iraq was December 18, 2009. After that everything stopped, It is crazy to stay 5 months in a hotel, these people for sure have quit their job and are desperate. I will never wait that long for this job.

lila in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

Just to follow up if you've read my earlier comments re: my husband's processing in VA the last couple weeks--He returned home on Friday. He says everyone there felt used. I guess they were pressured to sign a lot of paperwork in the beginning and not given sufficient time to read through it all. Everyone signed. No one read through the pages of pages of documents. They were only given a few minutes to go through it. The GLS people made everyone aware that the expectation was that they get through it all and sign within a few minutes. No one wanted to admit that they didn't have enough time to read and understand what they were signing. They feared they wouldn't get the job--what GLS intended them to feel.
All the Iraqis were told that it was required they give up their Iraqi citizenship (most of them have duel citizenship). Paperwork was given to them to sign which was then sent on to the Iraqi embassy. If anyone brought their Iraqi passport or other forms of Iraqi id, these were taken from them.

Later when they found out the program was on hold and they began to realize that GLS was just doing this training to make money and had no intention of sending them to Iraq, the Iraqis regretted renouncing their citizenship. Apparently one older man even cried. He had wanted to be buried in Iraq.

Everyone felt used and manipulated by GLS, especially when new loads of trainees arrived who hadn't been informed in advance of arriving that the program was on hold -- and also when they heard about this forum and realized that GLS is still misleading people about their likelihood of going to Iraq in order to get them to come to the training.

The only people they sent on to Georgia (and presumably from there to Iraq, although who knows)were those who spoke Kurdish and Arabic. But by the end of the 2 weeks, trust for GLS was so low, many of the Kurds decided not to go. And most everyone, according to my husband, did not really want to work for GLS anyway. Trust was gone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DOUMA in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

Thank you very much Lila for this important update. I really think it is an eye opener, GLS turn out to be a fraud. How dare they ask the candidates to give up their citizenship while there is no guarantee they will go to Iraq or actually they will never go. Your husband and the other candidates should take their Iraqis passports back and call the embassy to tell them they won't give their citizenship.
I just pass it the phone interview but I will tell the recruiter that I will not go to Virginia and that I'm withdrawing my application. On top of all that her e-mail include the sentence, if you know of anyone interested in the position let me know. Oh yea so you can make more money scamming people.

maximis in Apo

53 months ago

Hi guys..
today i got you some good news.. read it carefully

If you Badge number appears below you must report to the GLS offices immediately you have been selected to take and English test and you have 72 hours in which this must be completed..

POc ensure that your Linguist has made contact with us and you have advise use that they are in route

Call with any questions.

C6722

C7049

E3180

E5258

E5346

E6332

E5300

N5136

E3500

E3561

E3529

E5284

C5561

E1449

E3585

C6817

E3501

E3593

N2099

E3245

E4823

E5301

E3577

E3520

E5274

E3295

E4725

E4818

E4715

E5292

E3041

E1218

N5135

E5371

E3574

E3555

C4338

E3109

C6027

E5103

S3034

S10901

W10176

E1214

E1712

E5340

MOE in Boston, Massachusetts

53 months ago

Thank you LILA you help us a lot with your news , we didnt quit our job and i canceled
my 2 weeks in VA. without your information i was going to VA and back without job.
keep updating us coz there all candidates need help. GOD bless you.

KUB in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

Maximis,it seems like you are addressing people who are in Iraq already. Talking about badge numbers I understand is for people who are working for GLS already and got badges. Probably their recruiter can do that, this forum may not be the right place to pass the info as most of the folks here didn't get hired by GLS. Anyway it seems it is a small consolation of some linguists who were to be sent back to The US but called back temporarily.

lila in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

God bless you, as well, Moe. Thank God you didn't quit your job (or Douma either).

I am planning on writing to our senator, Patty Murray, so I will update on that if anything comes of it.

Lila

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany

53 months ago

Maximis
Those badge numbers you listed DO NOT EXIST,cause iam at Iraq now,and Badges here do not have a number.

miss_lione1@yahoo.com in Hallandale, Florida

53 months ago

excuse me but i didnt send any badge numbers
thank u

53 months ago

miss_lione1@yahoo.com in Hallandale, Florida said: excuse me but i didnt send any badge numbers
thank u

what the heck, abdo was addressing maximis.

miss_lione1@yahoo.com in Hallandale, Florida

53 months ago

am sorry

douma in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

maximis, have you been caught bluffing with the badges story?

Rawsht_nasa in Korek, Iraq

53 months ago

Abdo ?? can you help me to be an interpreter in Erbil or Kirkuk ?please I am in erbil city and i am in the college of language....I am waiting for your answer !

Rawsht_nasa in Korek, Iraq

53 months ago

maximis in Apo said: Hi guys..
today i got you some good news.. read it carefully

If you Badge number appears below you must report to the GLS offices immediately you have been selected to take and English test and you have 72 hours in which this must be completed..

POc ensure that your Linguist has made contact with us and you have advise use that they are in route

Call with any questions.

C6722

C7049

E3180

E5258

E5346

E6332

E5300

N5136

E3500

E3561

E3529

E5284

C5561

E1449

E3585

C6817

E3501

E3593

N2099

E3245

E4823

E5301

E3577

E3520

E5274

E3295

E4725

E4818

E4715

E5292

E3041

E1218

N5135

E5371

E3574

E3555

C4338

E3109

C6027

E5103

S3034

S10901

W10176

E1214

E1712

E5340

Can you tell us in where this is happened ??And for what??

maximis in Apo

53 months ago

this lately happened in all over iraq
the GLS will choice thier best interpreters....and they trying little by little to realise an old interpreters such as who served them for years.

and if there is any more comment needs to be explained,
so please contact me:
yahoo:
maximisangel

WITH KIND REGARDS..

maximis in Apo

53 months ago

and you guys always remeber that were GLS badge number
because they emailed to me.
and by the way who says that the GLS's badges is without numbers

it means that none of you guys is an interpreter!!!

maximis in Apo

53 months ago

douma in Bellevue, Washington said: maximis, have you been caught bluffing with the badges story?

Negative!!!

53 months ago

I guess that those badge numbers that you guys are sending belong to local linguist an not US hired,that is why they need to do English test.As for getting a jobe at Arbil as a local linguist,you need to contact GLS office at Arbil for that ,i can not help with this ,cause iam not at Arbil.I know that GLS do need linguist who can speak up North Kirdish,so good luck.

53 months ago

Maxisim
You are wrong about the badges,iam an interpeter ,and working at Iraq right now,my badge does not have a number at all,none of the other linguist have a badge number either.The only badge that does have a number are for those how are locally hired at Iraq,but all other US hired linguist badges are without a number,(as iam looking at my own badge right now),so get this fact cleared .

53 months ago

I beleive that the person who listed the badge numbers is a locally hired linguist,as these badges belong to locally issued badges,and that explain why they are asked to do English test.The subject about badges has NOTHING TO DO WITH US HIRED LINGUIST.

douma in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

Abdo, can you give us an update on the situation with GLS in Iraq. The linguists here are telling lies by saying they expect openings for the future, will get all the way through the process and then when opening comes we send you.......BS

What happened to those linguists who were on standby in a tent? were they sent back to the US?

abdu in Apo

53 months ago

All standby linguists are still at tent total 140 ,this number will increase by 100's,cause the US Army will have a lot of units that are going to shutdown by the coming Mid of June till first week of July,(June 15 till July 7 )A big major change is going to happen,many linguist will be sent home,those who are too old and physically not fit,weak language etc.Staying in tent as standby is not a pleasing thing,dusty,dirty,its a big tent many might stay up late,make noise,lessen to music etc,but i guess many do not care as long as they are getting paid for doing nothing,anyway that is all i can say for now,everything is going to stay on hold till the above stated dates,and then will see what will happen.

maher in Nablus, Palestinian Territory

53 months ago

hi boss i have received an email with an attachment -gls application -
i felt it up and no on respond..... help please

ymaheryassin@ymail.com

Magnuna in Cumming, Georgia

53 months ago

My husband is a Finance Manager her in the US and we have been trying to move back to the Middle East for a while. It is difficult to do from here. He applied for a Finance Mgr position with GLS, but they called him and spoke to him about a linguist position stating that the Finance Manager position was already filled, though still posted. We were considering this opportunity, as they seemed ready to move forward with the processing ASAP: application/form processing, then two weeks in VA, then CRC here in GA until deployed to Kuwait then Iraq where he will stay on a compound as US troops are no longer allowed out of the Green Zone. It sounds safe, fairly "easy money" to spend one year translating documents/video, then return back with savings to allow for more flexibility in pursuing Finance work in the Middle East. (1)They said that while he is waiting at CRC, he will be paid at 1/2 the annual salary. Is this true, and when do payments begin? Also, is there a waiting period for medical/dental benefits? (we need to know to budget for COBRA if there is a waiting period). (2)What are the employees doing while they wait at CRC? (Are they allowed to participate in recreational activities, go out to movies, surf the internet,etc?) (3)If the possibility of actually being deployed is so slim, are they allowed to look for other jobs while they wait?

Any and all information would be incredibly helpful to us while we discuss this possibility.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

53 months ago

Magnuna, don't fall for the trap. They are doing the same thing to countless people. There no more linguist jobs in Iraq as you can read the thread which include some people who are deployed there. Just tell your husband to look for job in dubai or something not with GLS. The reason they are telling all these stories is because they get paid to process applications and getting people to VA and GA.

Merita in Milton, Florida

53 months ago

What kind of money do the current linguists in Iraq make now? Also, can anyone give me a phone # or e-mail address for the University of Baghdad? Their web site has neither. Thank you.

53 months ago

douma in Bellevue, Washington said: Magnuna, don't fall for the trap. They are doing the same thing to countless people. There no more linguist jobs in Iraq as you can read the thread which include some people who are deployed there. Just tell your husband to look for job in dubai or something not with GLS. The reason they are telling all these stories is because they get paid to process applications and getting people to VA and GA.

Thank you, Douma, for your prompt reply. This is what we were afraid of. GLS does seem to have a bad reputation, but so did the contractor we worked for in Kuwait; though we did not have many problems...except the lack of work ethic by most on the contract, but what can you do?

Right now, he works long hours and on weekends and does not have a lot of extra time to apply to a lot of jobs in the Middle East as most applications online take quite a lot of time to complete. Additionally, there has been little response since many state that they prefer someone in the region already. Dubai is a very competitive market, also. Most of the people we knew in the Middle East are no longer there and would be little help. We need to know someone or we need some "wasta". We worked for a contractor in Kuwait in HR and Finance for over a year before I was pregnant with our four year old. I did not want to leave, but he thought it was best if we were her with my family. Now we have two boys and are desperate to get back to the Middle East for better quality of life for ourselves and the kids. It is just so difficult now. If not GLS, does anyone have any suggestions for companies in the Middle East hiring from the US?

53 months ago

Rawsht...how far are you from Baghdad?

53 months ago

the waiting tim could be for a very long time,by nd of June ovre 100 linguist will be sent home,at CRC your husband will b paid like $2400 / month. do not count on this position,Good Luck

53 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: the waiting tim could be for a very long time,by nd of June ovre 100 linguist will be sent home,at CRC your husband will b paid like $2400 / month. do not count on this position,Good Luck

That does not sound good at all! I will let him know. Thank you, Abdo, for your response. This sounds like to risky an opportunity. We may be unsure about the long-term status of his job now because of all the mass layoffs at his company, but at least he still has one, Thank God. This opportunity with GLS sounds entirely too risky for us at this time.

Thank you, again, for your help!

53 months ago

why we are getting this emails from recruiter with applications i have a job here but im not making 145 a year but i will not maid to make 145 a year or do you mean its junk mail

thx for help

53 months ago

Cat 1 makes $122,000 aprox /year including bonus & one airticket.
Cat 2 makes $146,000 aprox /year including bonus & one airticket.
will gt you info about Baghdad Univercity in a day or two.

53 months ago

Please keep in mind that recruiters keep on sending applications by mail,cause they get commission on every person they hook up to go do the training,it is all about making money,no one care if you give up your present job nor anything else.

53 months ago

what the university has to do with this could you explain more please thx maher

53 months ago

i will give it a try i might get lucky you never know......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

جامعة بغداد هي أكبر جامعة عراقية وتقع في مدينة بغداد في العراق. تم تأسيسها وتمويلها من قبل الحكومة العراقية في أواخر الخمسينيات. ولكن لبناتها الأولى تعود إلى عام 1908 حيث تم تأسيس كلية الحقوق (مدرسة الحقوق سابقا)، وما تبعها بسنوات قليلة من كليات أخرى مثل دار المعلمين العالية (التربية لاحقا)، والطب عام 1927 والصيدلة والهندسة وغيرها. تقع قٌرب نهر دجلة. قد صٌممَت أبنيتها على يد والتر كروبيس " Walter Gropius "، حيث بدأ بالخطة الرئيسية في الستينات لبناء الحرم الجامعي لكليات الهندسة والعلوم والفنون المعاصرة لما يكفي 6.800 من الطلاب. وقد تم توسيع الحرم الجامعي في سنة 1982 لما يكفي 20.000 من الطلاب مع إضافة التسهيلات الأخرى. قد طور كل من المهندس المعماري هشام أشكوري " Hisham N. Ashkouri" والسيد روبرت أوين " Robert Owen " كل البرنامج المتعلق بالحرم الجامعي.

53 months ago

the univercity messege was not for you

53 months ago

Maher from Nablus, you are really off subject. The theme of this forum is about working for GLS - your experience and you are talking about Baghdad University and posting a presentation about it, just fight the occupation and don't make a fool out of yourself in this forum.

53 months ago

sorry about this misunderstand anyway im working here not fighting anybody however im American not Palestinian thx

53 months ago

i apologize a gain im sorry i asked for an explanation but that my understood from the comment

53 months ago

ARE THE SALARIES LISTED FOR A US CITIZEN GOING TO IRAQ TO WORK AS A LINGUIST? ARE THEY THE SAME OR HOW DO THEY DIFFER FOR AN IRAQI CITIZEN WHO IS A LINGUIST WORKING FOR GLS? DOES GLS PROMISE EMPLOYMENT IN THE US FOR IRAQI'S WHO CURRENTLY WORK FOR THEM AS LINGUISTS? IS IT DIFFICULT FOR IRAQI CITIZENS TO BE HIRED BY US AGENCIES?

53 months ago

I WAS TOLD BAGHDAD UNIVERSITY HAS A LINGUIST PROGRAM. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THE UNIVERSITY BUT AS I NOTED BEFORE, THE WEB SITE HAS NO CONTACT PHONE # OR E-MAIL ADDRESS.

Douma in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

There are no more linguists jobs in Iraq. Half of the troops are coming home by August. Like KUB said the subject of Baghdad University is irrelevant to this forum, everybody let's stick to the subject.

Futhermore, Iraqis citizens are less likely to get jobs with US military nowadays. In general as contractors they make a fraction of what US citizen make.

53 months ago

All local Iraqi linguist hired by GLS they get between $1000 to $1500 / month ,all other US hired they get paid as stated in my othr answers.

53 months ago

OK to kill the subject of the univercity the following is the web ,which does have all contacts and full information about the univercity in English and Arabic :::

::::www.univofbaghdad.org/:::::

53 months ago

I'm thinking a smart way of getting a linguist job but not with GLS is to go with GLS all the way to the point of getting the secret clearance then apply with other companies as secret clearance is prized.

Some opening with other companies if you have clearance:

careers.celestarcorp.com/ext/detail.asp?jobid=cestar117

cp-its-rmprd.saic.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?/2I4TMX2IHQ8E6QPDZJKU2D5A8PRHX8YT8EW0Z2JDYJZ2N4VTS4JKNEHLR8LAY66F5PHC70HOYZX73CQZ9HMDXDCQJUJTXNY2YSUSTCQGHX0KXDBD63SF5NY1TJ0UHZCVV8SATG3ZW5OIRSYZYI605JSEX8IRSEX8JFDVFP4W

I will not do it myself as I told GLS off but other may think about this idea.

What do you think abdo? Could this strategy work for some people?

TOUGHWOMAN in Lancaster, California

53 months ago

I just came back from Iraq after quitting my job as an Arabic linguist with GLS who had me sign off to a subcontractor just 6 moths after hiring me in 2008 and I had no choice since if I didn't sign the new contract I would be fired...and then they reduced my salary by $45,000 after 6 months as well and again I had no choice because I either accept it or let go, then as I was leavig in Feb 2010, all my fellow linguists were to sign yet another contract with a new company based in California and thus deleting all the other subcontractors that GLS had shared the pie with. GLS has very bad management and they do not really care for their linguists but at the same time they are hiring different ethnics of middle estern back ground and most of them don't understand the Iraqi dialect but lack of Iraqi nationals force them to do that and with this come a major gap in the quality of proper English and Arabic languages performed by these linguists. The salary they provide is wonderful comparing to what we can get here in the US but the danger and the hardship of leaving your family has a steep price that is well worth the money you get!! God bless America, the troops and all the contractors over there -- they need our support and love!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.