Working for GLS in Iraq - Your Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 407)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

douma in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

So thoughwoman we weren't paid 145K as advertised by GLS. I heard of these stories of subcontracting by GLS, I heard so many horror stories about that company that I just e-mailed them last night to inform them to withdraw my application and told me all the reasons for that.
I'm just happy I got GLS out of my mind and not be sucked into a losing game with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

douma in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

Do you speak Pashtu and Farsi? Then you can make $$$$$ in Afghanistan.

I was forwarded a Job opportunity but I'm not qualified for it. The position is a linguist in Afghanistan and it require fluency in Farsi, Pashtu and English. The pay is up to 235 K a year! as well as life insurance, 401k, flexible spending account, Travel reimbursement, DBA insurance, and ((PAID VACATION)).

The company name is fedsys: www.fedsys.com/

lila in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

douma in Bellevue, Washington said: I'm thinking a smart way of getting a linguist job but not with GLS is to go with GLS all the way to the point of getting the secret clearance then apply with other companies as secret clearance is prized.

Some opening with other companies if you have clearance:

careers.celestarcorp.com/ext/detail.asp?jobid=cestar117

cp-its-rmprd.saic.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?/2I4TMX2IHQ8E6QPDZJKU2D5A8PRHX8YT8EW0Z2JDYJZ2N4VTS4JKNEHLR8LAY66F5PHC70HOYZX73CQZ9HMDXDCQJUJTXNY2YSUSTCQGHX0KXDBD63SF5NY1TJ0UHZCVV8SATG3ZW5OIRSYZYI605JSEX8IRSEX8JFDVFP4W

I will not do it myself as I told GLS off but other may think about this idea.

What do you think abdo? Could this strategy work for some people?

I'm not sure. My husband who (as I know you are aware Doumo) has just come back about a week ago now from VA processing was told by GLS when he enquired that the security processing would only be "good"or "applicable" for working for GLS. I'm hoping this is another lie. I will say that ALL of the friends he made there have now heard that they have been rejected (7 people with no obvious reasons why they were rejected). However, he has heard nothing yet. DOes anyone know? Is the clearance "official" and useful for working for someone other than GLS? I'm imagining since the military is doing the investigation, that it would be--a proper security clearance which would be recognized by the US military and therefore of use with other jobs requiring security clearance.

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany

53 months ago

If you know life well enough you will not say that this job has a steep price towards your family,unless if you do not have a life.

TOUGHWOMAN in Lancaster, California

53 months ago

My original contract that I signed with GLS was for $186,000 and was reduced down to $145,000!! This job like any other has advantages as well as disadvantages -- three major advantages are: 1- pride in serving your country who honored you its citizenship 2- great income 3- getting the security clearance from the US government while it is very obvious and worth mentioning the disadvantages of the job being away from the family for four months or more at a time beside of course living in the warzone dangers every second and never predicting if you will be alive the next day or not. Every linguist has his/her own experience and not two are the same but can have some instances in common. Iraq is a huge country and along with the different branches of the army, navy, us air force, Special Forces, marine core and such you can be working with any level of rank within those units all the way from the sergeant to the general. Linguists can live in tents shared with others with a walking distance for showers/bathrooms or can be very lucky and has their own room or chu (compartmized housing units) and would be even luckier to have a "wet chu" as having your own shower/bath within the chu. As many linguists are happy working this job there are many who are miserable as well -- it all depends on where you work, who you work with, and what you do!

Oh, by the way, I only speak Arabic but thank you so much for the link -- you rule!!

Jilllian C in Peachtree City, Georgia

53 months ago

A friend of mine's husband is a soldier in Iraq. One of the Muslim women who works for GLS & is a lingusit, had an affair with him! Both are responsible! I'm not putting the total blame on either. Doesn't GLS have rules regarding their employees getting involved w/US soldiers? And isn't it against the Muslim religion for a woman to commit adultery?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a wife in Metairie, Louisiana

53 months ago

Jilllian C in Peachtree City, Georgia said: A friend of mine's husband is a soldier in Iraq. One of the Muslim women who works for GLS & is a lingusit, had an affair with him! Both are responsible! I'm not putting the total blame on either. Doesn't GLS have rules regarding their employees getting involved w/US soldiers? And isn't it against the Muslim religion for a woman to commit adultery?

Jillian that sounds like a sad situation for your friend's family. I can't say what kind of rules GLS has for sure but I know that when adults are willing to have an affair there is not much that can stop them if they have already set their minds to it. I would like to comment on the fact that she is a Muslim. Sex out of marriage is NOT accepted in Islam. I am a muslim revert of 7 years now Alhamdulillah (thank God) and am sorry to say that not all "muslims" are practicing Muslims. Its the same in most religions. You have strong believers and weak.

As for GLS my husband is still in Iraq and has been for a while. It was towards the end of the year when he went and he did sit in that tent for a week or so. He said it was miserable and if he was not assigned he was coming home. Alhamdulillah (thank God) he was assigned and now it's just a waiting game. No one knows how long they will be there but as abdo said many times...it does not look like it will last much longer. Pay has been worth all the headache they put him through to get there. It was hard but we are glad he stuck it out.

Have a nice evening...

KUB in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

Jilllian C in Peachtree City, Georgia said: A friend of mine's husband is a soldier in Iraq. One of the Muslim women who works for GLS & is a lingusit, had an affair with him! Both are responsible! I'm not putting the total blame on either. Doesn't GLS have rules regarding their employees getting involved w/US soldiers? And isn't it against the Muslim religion for a woman to commit adultery?

Jillian, Yes adultery is absolutely forbidden in Islam like other religions but not all Muslims follow the tenets of the faith. Some do bad things
like this gal who cheated. I would a good way to punish her is to report the incident to her family so she is exposed, if the episode spread in her
community man will avoid marrying her.

53 months ago

This Muslim woman is married with children!

Sara in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

Well let's blame the man, as well. He's probably a Christian (or his religion would have been identified). Isn't that forbidden in Christianity? Let's assign
the blame equally to them and not assume any more than we would for Christians that all Muslims are fervently religious or even practicing the religion in anything other
than name. I'm glad so many of you have pointed that out. There are many good Muslims and many bad Muslims as with any religion.

I don't think the fear of dying, seeing people die, being in the midst of war and wondering whether you'll ever see your family again brings out the best in everyone. It sounds like your friend's
husband has admitted what happened to his wife. I hope he's genuinely repentent. I hope their marriage will survive. I personally wouldn't be able to get past it, but God might might
me to forgive.

I think somehow it would be wrong to tell the woman's family--maybe innocent children would be damaged, maybe she would be harmed . I don't know. It's my understanding of both religions (being a Christian,
but knowing quite alot about Islam) that no one's God would think that the right thing. Leave her God and her conscience to deal with her. That'd be my advice. Doing wrong
harms the individual most of all.

53 months ago

Jillian

Married or not Muslim or christian,working for GLS or for the godfather at Iraq or USA or anywhere in this world ,EVERY ONE DOES IT,if you want to do it ,you will regardless.

KUB in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

Jillian,

Then the wife of the soldier should report that women to her husband. As it was said all people of all faiths mess around whether it is men or women.

53 months ago

Everyone here has a valid point. I don't have the answers to help my friend. I wish I did. I pray her marriage will survive this test. Her trust is gone & her faith is being sorely tested. She is trying to cope with something that has happened & may still be going on, thousands of miles away,
in a foreign country. Adultery can't be easy to deal with anywhere or under any circumstances. But we all sin, regardless of our
religion and sins are dealt with by a higher power.

53 months ago

Jilllian C in Peachtree City, Georgia said: Everyone here has a valid point. I don't have the answers to help my friend. I wish I did. I pray her marriage will survive this test. Her trust is gone & her faith is being sorely tested. She is trying to cope with something that has happened & may still be going on, thousands of miles away,
in a foreign country. Adultery can't be easy to deal with anywhere or under any circumstances. But we all sin, regardless of our
religion and sins are dealt with by a higher power.

This sound like a TV episode. I wonder and also many people do, How did she find out he is cheating although this happened in Iraq?
There is a worst case, where the beautiful CBS corespondent Lara Logan who was married herself had an affair with a married man (a contractor) in Iraq whose wife was pregnant in the US. They both divorced and ended up marrying each other and now they have a child together. It has been reported that prior to that two male Journalists were fighting each other who will get to be with the Hot Lara Logan..... A lot of dirty stuff happens behind the scenes in war zones.

53 months ago

Telling the husband would unwise (if even possible). No one should sdvise that. It can backfire. MY Dad's lover knocked
on the door one day to tell my mom about the affair she'd been having with my Dad (which he'd just ended). I was 11 and
was able to figure out what had happened.
Did this do any of us any good? No. It did no one any good. My parents broke up.
My Dad became an alcoholic. My brother killed himself.
And the truth is when someone's having an affair,
you know on some level. And if you want to find out, you can. The only people who would have the right to interfere
and tell you about it are people who know you and love you and are acting on what they believe is your best interest.
That's my take on it.

Perhaps Jillian's friend would have been better off not knowing--or finding out later when her husband is home and
she can actually talk to him about it.

53 months ago

Come on guys this web is about GLS ,and linguist working at Iraq,and not husband and wife issue !!!!!!!!!

Douma in Bellevue, Washington

53 months ago

Hey Abdo,

The other day I requested to withdraw my application with GLS and I mentioned the reasons for that in a laundry list from the withdrawal of the troops to what they did to some candidates recently. The recruiting manager wanted to embellish GLS image and asked to talk to me to clarify things as he saying I'm getting third parties opinion. In any case I said I don't want to loose my vacation time for nothing and I will only consider applying if GLS is really sending people to Iraq currently, he goes they have 5 years contract and they need new candidates so they can send them in the future... I wasn't convinced, he agreed to shred my application. I hope they did so and my private info is not misused. I do not believe they will send a single candidate ever again. I'm glad I got the whole GLS and the Iraq thing out of my system.

53 months ago

The Muslin adultress works for GLS. Their policies & principles state their core values , "Always do the right thing, etc." Do these Iraqi Linguists who work for GLS end up working in the US or are they promised that?

53 months ago

It's not really your friend, is it? How did you find out?

Lila in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

I wouldn'tcount on GLS upholding any of their stated core values.

53 months ago

abdo in Ottobrunn, Germany said: Come on guys this web is about GLS ,and linguist working at Iraq,and not husband and wife issue !!!!!!!!!

i agree abdo...

people are cheating on their husbands and wives everywhere not just in Iraq. it's just the hard sad truth!

53 months ago

Jilllian C in Peachtree City, Georgia said: The Muslin adultress works for GLS. Their policies & principles state their core values , "Always do the right thing, etc." Do these Iraqi Linguists who work for GLS end up working in the US or are they promised that?

no jillian they are not promised work in the U.S.
also I do hope you do not think that "all" GLS employees are the same as this woman you are referring to as the "muslim adultress". again, i'm sorry for your friend's family as well as her family but like everyone else is saying..it takes two to do what they did. what is talking about her here going to do to help the situation for your friend?

DON in Apo

53 months ago

DEAR SIR
I USED TO WORK WITH GLS BEFOR FROM 21-JAN-09
TELL 16-SEPT-09 AND I HAD WORKED WITH USA ARMY BEFOR THAT AS OFFICER AT SAME CAMP BUT AT SEPT I GET TORMENT FOR NO THING THAY SAUD THAY FOUND MP3PLAYER WHERE I WORK AND THAT ITS NOT TRUTH I LOST MY JOP AND MY VISA

53 months ago

Jilllian C in Peachtree City, Georgia said: The Muslin adultress works for GLS. Their policies & principles state their core values , "Always do the right thing, etc." Do these Iraqi Linguists who work for GLS end up working in the US or are they promised that?

I think you should stop using the word Muslim to refer to that women as if there is something wrong with that. An Adulterer could be from any religion as it was already explained my other members of this forum extensively , most likely it happens less in Muslim communities then other but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Then just let your friend deal with that it's her problem in the end to sort out not yours. It seems like you took yourself to task to deal with this, GLS got thousands of employees and I don't think they track everything that happens.

Albakri in Harrisonburg, Virginia

53 months ago

I am looking for Arabic Linguist job Overseas or here, would you please help if you know there is somewhere I can apply? Thanks

53 months ago

For those who worked with GLS in Iraq do you have any experience of a close call? or for someone you know? It's much better know but I heard that over the years, GLS experienced some casualties. I read in some reports that GLS experienced through the past years 186 dead. Everyone want to go work with GLS in Iraq but they forget the danger.

Any comments from the people who are in Iraq or worked with GLS before is appreciated.

53 months ago

Yes i do work at Iraq right now,and there is danger here all the time,whether you are doing missions or not,but no one seem to care,amoung those who work here,they are all blind with the money they are making,cause most of them never had a job in their whole life,as most of which where on welfare,and now this.Some are even willing to work for $2000/month,specialy those who are over 60 or even 70 years of age.

53 months ago

Maybe they are just dying from old age then!

53 months ago

I guess they are dieing of old age ,i have been here for 3 years at Iraq,and i have seen some walking around,and draging their oxygen bottel behind them.

coolsniper in Fairfax, Virginia

53 months ago

KUB in Bellevue, Washington said: For those who worked with GLS in Iraq do you have any experience of a close call? or for someone you know? It's much better know but I heard that over the years, GLS experienced some casualties. I read in some reports that GLS experienced through the past years 186 dead. Everyone want to go work with GLS in Iraq but they forget the danger.

Any comments from the people who are in Iraq or worked with GLS before is appreciated.

OH,YEEH, I just got back from Iraq recently, situation is getting worse, I was in the south region, year ago, it was the place that I believed each linguist will dream about it, but not today, I am talking especially after election!!!So I wont risk it again, not even with Million Dollars, I am not kidding, life has many great things to enjoy with,other fact, you wont take penny with you to the casket!!!
with GLS...OOH GASH, they care about their employees less than 0%. It is your choice, and your call!

albakri in Harrisonburg, Virginia

53 months ago

It's does n't matter for me what's the situation over there, I know it's getting worse in Iraq but I still want to work there. Thanks

53 months ago

albakri in Harrisonburg, Virginia said: It's does n't matter for me what's the situation over there, I know it's getting worse in Iraq but I still want to work there. Thanks

The work in Iraq dried up,no more, you can read the older threads on this forum about that but you might find some work in Afghanistan if you wanna go.

albakri in Harrisonburg, Virginia

53 months ago

I will go If I have the opportunity.

53 months ago

My husband now back since April 23rd from VA processing has found out he passed GLS security clearance
(no on else he met in VA did that he knows of--the 7 friends he made all failed), but is security clearance
worth anything? He says GLS told him it was only good
for working with GLS. Is this true? ANd of course, there is no work with GLS in Iraq for him (or anyone else).

53 months ago

What kind of clearance did he get? If got a secret clearance he can apply for other linguistic jobs. A best way to find out is to apply with other companies, then he can find out when he talks to the recruiters it might give him a foot in the door. The biggest companies that hire Arab Linguist are SAIC and CACI but there are others. He may have obtained an interim secret with Polygraph.

There is this position in Gitmo, Cuba with Chenega Corp it requires just that:

jobs.chenega.com/Careers.aspx?adata=q4xlFCf9NY%2f%2f9ZW4kbIJHsqVFj1bBhs9wJQGFbvhDTQ4wgIqVyggVqSMCeOkdn3qw%2fKZLT2ImFNA1NC%2bkJt3Tucu1k7bERfi

53 months ago

Lila
If your husband got the OK at VA for security clearance,this does not mean anything,it is only a pre-approvaL,he will have to go to Iraq and work for GLS like one full year inorder for him to be given the full clearance.When he get his full clearance he can then work for any company an use his clearance,but not before he finish one year work with GLS in Iraq.

Mudher in New Bern, North Carolina

53 months ago

Hello ... My Name in Jameel i live in NC state please can any body advise me For how to work with Gls i really trying to find a job with Gls but no answer from no body....I will wait for some body help me with that ..Thank u

53 months ago

Mudher
it looks like you need help with your English ,before anyone can help you with GLS.

53 months ago

Mudher anybody and nobody are written in one word not separate from the body! English 101.

53 months ago

For everyone out there who want to work as a linguist, in this forum we are tired of messages like:
my name is abou something and continue with broken English like plze i want work with gLS but no anser , i speak arabic and englis very good but no luk so far. hep me plz cause i need money like gls money good. so i m waiting for u crying......

53 months ago

KUB
Such linguist with such weak Arabic / English language are actualy working right now at Iraq as Cat 2 ,and Cat 3,getting paid between $146,000 to $170,000,some even been here for 4 to 6 years,doing nothing,cause the hard good linguist are covering the work,that is GLS standards,but i blame no one ,but the ARMY for accepting the situation,and the Army oes not care as long as some one is doing the work,but then again,the truth is that NO ONE CARES,CAUSE IT IS ALL ABOUT GLS making money.NO ONE CARES HOW TAX MONEY IS SPENT,so you will see goo linguist working very hard,while the stupi ones are just spending time,as you are not allowed to say a word about this while working over here.That is how it is over here in Iraq till now,an it has been like this for years.

53 months ago

Abdo,

A couple of points, I thought the max pay is 146k as they cut hazard pay from the high of 176k. I see your point, that's exactly right it is a waste of tax payers money, those are lucky bunch! but as you know the party is over now in Iraq and after August troop cuts you will see a lot of them sent home and none from here sent there to Iraq!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

abdu in Apo

53 months ago

KUB
Well the $146,OOO/YR IS FOR CAT-2 ,but for CAT-3 it is $170,00.CAT-3 is one step up above CAT-2.
Although the Army is pulling out,but 50,000 will stay,and they will need like 2500 linguist for the next year or so,which they already have over here,and even more,that is why a lot will be going home,some time between June 15 to July 15.

53 months ago

I've seen this one but i forgot it. Can you tell me the difference between CAT-2 and CAT-3 linguist? Does it have to do with the security clearance obtained?

Thanks

53 months ago

KUB
CAT-1 : Any US green card holer with a good credit score,who apply for linguist job ,and pass the CI interview.your pay $121,000.

CAT-2 : Any US citizen with good credit score,who apply for linguist job,an pass thCI interview. Your pay $146,000.

CAT-3 : Any US citizen with good credit score,who apply for linguist job,and pass the CI interview,and subject to pass the lie detecter machine,(lie etecter machine --- this test is usually given to those who served as cat-2 at theater for more than one year),your pay $170,000.

53 months ago

Sorry for the spelling mistakes,my key board is old,and the letter D does not always work.

Mudher in New Bern, North Carolina

53 months ago

ok ...So About me i have the Green Card and i have been working with Gls Before 3 months ago i got my release So how can iwork again with Gls ?

53 months ago

Muher
Cat 2 and 3 do not have a chance right now ,cause it is over,so for you to get back it is very difficult.

53 months ago

Mudher you should already know that even if GLS have openings you won't be hired because they don't accept green card holder anymore, only full US citizens. You can see that ad for the Arabic linguist jobs posted but it's over anyway for everybody in Iraq like Abdo said.

W in Seattle, Washington

53 months ago

I have to say that I'm really tired of hearing everyone's English put down. Yes, nearly everyone on this forum has abysmal English. Specifically, I've yet to see a grammatically correct comment.

However, I am so impressed that many of you speak Arabic, a language even more complicated than English. I've studied Arabic. I barely passed. Those of you who speak both (to any degree) are truly linguistically impressive.

I HATE it when an American military or contractor "hausfrau" puts down an Arab's English. Unless you can speak Arabic too--shut up!

Abdo has the right to complain. KUB sounds like you do as well. But, guys, your English isn't so great either and man, does my Arabic suck!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.