security clearance problems

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 270)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

ggeorgie

94 months ago

I have two years experience as a linguist overseas, untill I got injured and had to return for treatment. After several surgeries, I decided to get back to work, but my company laid me off, ( How nice of them ), and stopped my security clearnce, and now I can not get a job which requires a security clearance, although, today I was offered a job as an arabic linguist stateside at $85,000.00, coming to find out I don't qualify because my clearance has been stopped, since my previous company refused to pay the background investigation fees.

I need help and advise.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christopher Campbell in Stamford, Connecticut

94 months ago

Security Clearances granted by the Military continue after you leave the service. The process and background check is the same for both military and non-military personal. The government grants your clearance, not your previous employer. Only the government can take it away. You are receiving bad information from someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ggeorgie

94 months ago

Christopher Campbell said: Security Clearances granted by the Military continue after you leave the service. The process and background check is the same for both military and non-military personal. The government grants your clearance, not your previous employer. Only the government can take it away. You are receiving bad information from someone.

Thank you Chris,
I already know that my previous employer does not grant me the security clearance, its the government. my employer gave my sf86 to the gocernment, and in turn the government will do the background investigation. My question is: how come they don't have a record of me at the DISCO or the OPM, after serving in the military for so long over seas, does it make sense to you?? please somebody explain???
and how could the government take away a security clearance if it was not granted in the first place????? Yeah, I know too many questions, and hard to get answers..I don't blame anyone for not knowing the answer, but please do understand that the FSO ( facility security officers ) of the contracting companies, love to play the game, and lie to employees like me about my clearance. hence, they think they so important sitting and doing nothing on their koshy chairs. thank you for letting me vent out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Cumming, Georgia

94 months ago

How long has it been since you stopped the job that required the clearance? If under two years, you are okay. If over two years, a new investigation would need to be started.

Also see www.clearancejobs.com/security_clearance_faq.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AHMAD MASHUQA in Paramus, New Jersey

89 months ago

I went with L3 Communications linguist position in 2006 to Reston VA after all checks my security clearance was denide ,I was not told of the reason for the denail , what should I do

Ahmad Mashuqa
amashuqa@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Another suffering linguist with L-3 in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

AHMAD MASHUQA in Paramus, New Jersey said: I went with L3 Communications linguist position in 2006 to Reston VA after all checks my security clearance was denide ,I was not told of the reason for the denial , what should I do

Ahmad Mashuqa
amashuqa@yahoo.com

Here is the answer to all your questions:
You got only Interim security clearance, which allows you to be deployed to Iraq. (I think it has to be renewed by your company every 6month or so , but not really sure and that's what they keep doing during your time overseas) It doesn't matter how long u spent there, 2 yrs or 200 yrs, if L-3 didn't submit your paper "sf86" for FINAL SECURITY CLEARANCE then of course you won't get it. they do that with almost all linguist in Iraq. very few of them will actually get their final clearance. it's a lot cheaper to keep renewing the Interim clearance than applying for the final clearance at the same time they. and that's what you got ONLY THE INTERIM, cause if you had your clearance, L-3 can't stop or take it from you.
Regarding your denial for clearance, some one should tell you why and what is the reasons. I've seen people getting denied and they told them the reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lilah El-Sayed in Springfield, Virginia

86 months ago

I have a kind of a security clearance since i have been working for the American embassy in Cairo and US Naval Medical Research Unit #3 NAMRU3. The RSO Regional Security Office has checked my background and I was clear either in Egypt or the USA. This security clearance is still valid to March 2008. I moved permanently to the States and I am trying to find an Arabic Linguist job. I have been offered a job by L-3 COMMUNICATIONS in Iraq and they asked if I have a valid foreign passport and they said I need to get rid of it and they don't know how. so would you please help me how I can turn in my Egyptian Passport.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ggeorgie in San Bernardino, California

86 months ago

Just go to the Egyptian embassy and fill out a form denouncing your Egyptian citizenship, and give them your Egyptian passport. All what you need to go to Iraq as an interpeter is a Green Card, the guy at L3- Communication is trying to mess you up. Moreover, there is no such a thing of ( kinda have a security Clearance ) it's either you have it or not. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SUE in El Cajon, California

86 months ago

my advice is same as ggeorgie

I WAS DEPLOYED TO IRAQ AS TRANSLATOR AND AFTER SIX MONTHS I DECIDED TO LEAVE AS L-3 MANAGERS DO NOT REALY HELP OR RESPECT THIER TRANSLATORS OR CARE. AND AFTER ONE YEAR I DECIDED TO GO BACK BUT THEY SAID THAT I DID NOT GET MY INTERM . how come I get it first time secound time they denied me . i think that L-3 IS THE ONE TO SAY YES YOU CAN GET IT OR NOT . THEIR STAFF HAVE THIER JOBS BECAUSE OF US THEY THING HIGH AND AL MIGHTY. ANY WAY GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Security has increased w/ most companies in Frisco, Texas

86 months ago

SUE in El Cajon, California said: my advice is same as ggeorgie

I WAS DEPLOYED TO IRAQ AS TRANSLATOR AND AFTER SIX MONTHS I DECIDED TO LEAVE AS L-3 MANAGERS DO NOT REALY HELP OR RESPECT THIER TRANSLATORS OR CARE. AND AFTER ONE YEAR I DECIDED TO GO BACK BUT THEY SAID THAT I DID NOT GET MY INTERM . how come I get it first time secound time they denied me . i think that L-3 IS THE ONE TO SAY YES YOU CAN GET IT OR NOT . THEIR STAFF HAVE THIER JOBS BECAUSE OF US THEY THING HIGH AND AL MIGHTY. ANY WAY GOOD LUCK

Security requirements at most companies have changed. This includes some policies. Your English writing is not that good. With all due respect, you might try improving it since you are in a Linguist field.

Security rules that were acceptable a few years ago are no longer acceptable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Christopher Campbell in Stamford, Connecticut said: Security Clearances granted by the Military continue after you leave the service. The process and background check is the same for both military and non-military personal. The government grants your clearance, not your previous employer. Only the government can take it away. You are receiving bad information from someone.

Your info. is worth repeating as apparently non-citizens think anything goes with companies and US entrance.

"Security Clearances granted by the Military continue after you leave the service. The process and background check is the same for both military and non-military personal. The government grants your clearance, not your previous employer. Only the government can take it away. You are receiving bad information from someone."

US security clearance has increased and will continue increasing..... and thank goodness... it's about time!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

AHMAD MASHUQA in Paramus, New Jersey said: I went with L3 Communications linguist position in 2006 to Reston VA after all checks my security clearance was denide ,I was not told of the reason for the denail , what should I do

Ahmad Mashuqa
amashuqa@yahoo.com

You are less likely to get a job with a Tech / IT company as any risk of Security rules (the holes) have been increasingly plugged up. Security Clearance will continue to increase in difficulty if the US current citizens have their way.

Have you tried European locations?
Most major companies have Eurpean locations.
Don't know if you're a US citizen or not.... but ALL people are receiving higher security screening.

Zhass in Peoria, Arizona

85 months ago

I had an Interim DISCO until June 3 of this year. I had to file for chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Aug of 2006 which was discharged in April of 2007. I have Apllied for Iraq cultural advisor positions that require Interim clearance but have been denied for reasons unknown.I it is my Chaoter 7 it was because of hardships due to major medical problem. I have been given so many addresses to write to from DSS to other Army agencies to explain my case. However The goverment agencies keep passing me back to the contractors and the contactors pass me to the goverment agencies. Does anyone know how I can make my case since my Chapter 7 was something I had no control over.

Thanks

GG in San Bernardino, California

85 months ago

Unfortunately your bankruptcy is too recent, many times they will over look it if it was 3 or 4 years old. DISCO is under no obligation to tell you the reason for the denial. My experience with the contractors, is that they are very candid about issues like this, and fearfull of lawsuits. Moreover, depending on how desperate the DOD for linguists, (BTW, Iraq cultural advisor is a linguist position),they will allow contractors to hire linguists with recent bankruptcies, there are many defense contracting companies out there, don't give up and keep trying.

zh in Peoria, Arizona

85 months ago

GG, Thanks for your answer, I have contacted over 11 contractors with open Linguist positions and have been told the same that " DSS have denied me an interim due to the Bankruptcy". If you know of any contractors I would realy appreciate it.

M. Miller in Dallas, Texas

85 months ago

I got an offer from L-3 as a "Turkish Linguist" in Iraq and after reading all your comments, I have doubts in my mind,, I really need advises from who worked for L-3. I will be really appreciated.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RO in Warner Robins, Georgia

85 months ago

M. Miller in Dallas, Texas said: I got an offer from L-3 as a "Turkish Linguist" in Iraq and after reading all your comments, I have doubts in my mind,, I really need advises from who worked for L-3. I will be really appreciated.

Thank you

I was told by L-3 that i was to start with them On Sept. 10! I got a call on Friday at 3pm saying I did not have a job with them becuase my interim was denied! I had already put in my 2 weeks notice and my last day was on the 5th of September. So as of right now I have no job! They already made my reservations for a rental car and hotel room and I was supposed to go out of town and train. The only cause for the interim being denied is my bankruptcy was discharged over 2 yrs ago (I was never late on anything upuntil 4-5 months before thebankruptcy and I have not been late on anything since) I have also heard that just because a interim was denied doesn't mean a Secret clearance would be? Is there anything the company can do (some type of waiver I have heard) until the secret clearance is granted? Or would the company rather just find someone else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

coco in El Cajon, California

85 months ago

Hi All
Is it true that DYNCORP COMPANY will take over from L-3 in November. ?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

bill army recruiter in Columbus, Ohio

85 months ago

Military Security Clearences are only good for 10 years after issue. Top Secret Security Clearences are only good for 5 years after issue. For a Civilian Organization to run a Secret Security Clearence it can cost anywhere between 1,000.00 and 15,000.00. It is important to ensure that you do not have just an interm clearance, and also important to ensure that your Clearance will carry you out 24 months after your enlisment ends with the Army.

It is important to understand that FBI, CIA, and DEA will most likely not accept a military clearance to be a part of their team. It is important to know that they prefer to have your security checks ran by companies they trust.

mrarsek in Panama

85 months ago

Any one has any idea what does this means -->> determined Eligibility of Interim Declination ??

Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lea in Orlando, Florida

85 months ago

Can anyone tell me how I know if I have interim security clearance or final security clearance?

shesagypsy in LA, California

85 months ago

I'm applying for a job with L3. The job posting that I am interested in does not state that a DoD security cleareance is required, as do other postings. Can I assume that sercuity clearnece is not needed for that particular job? I'm worried that I may be denied since my credit is poor. I have no bankruptcy on it but I am behind on some payments.

Thank you!

sunnyboy in Winter Park, Florida

85 months ago

IF its a linguist job you do need a clearance even though it says no clearance required, behind on payments can cause problem. Good luck

shesagypsy in LA, California

85 months ago

Thanks sunnyboy. No--it isn't a linguist job.

Lea in Orlando, Florida

85 months ago

bill army recruiter in Columbus, Ohio said: Military Security Clearences are only good for 10 years after issue. Top Secret Security Clearences are only good for 5 years after issue. For a Civilian Organization to run a Secret Security Clearence it can cost anywhere between 1,000.00 and 15,000.00. It is important to ensure that you do not have just an interm clearance, and also important to ensure that your Clearance will carry you out 24 months after your enlisment ends with the Army.

It is important to understand that FBI, CIA, and DEA will most likely not accept a military clearance to be a part of their team. It is important to know that they prefer to have your security checks ran by companies they trust.

I would like to know if you can tell me how I can find out if I have interm security clearance or final security clearance? Thanks for any info you can provide.

RO in Warner Robins, Georgia

85 months ago

shesagypsy in LA, California said: I'm applying for a job with L3. The job posting that I am interested in does not state that a DoD security cleareance is required, as do other postings. Can I assume that sercuity clearnece is not needed for that particular job? I'm worried that I may be denied since my credit is poor. I have no bankruptcy on it but I am behind on some payments.

Thank you!

I think all jobs with L3 require a security clearance, because they are a Dod Contractor. My interimwas denied because of a bankruptcy 2 years ago and I have not been late on any payments since! Good Luck!

SSG Rice in Columbus, Ohio

85 months ago

Lea in Orlando, Florida said: I would like to know if you can tell me how I can find out if I have interm security clearance or final security clearance? Thanks for any info you can provide.

That is a good question. You have to contact your supervisor. It is much less expensive for the Military to run an interim clearance on you. It costs the bare minumum, and does absolutely nothing for you in the real world. Basically an interum clearance only grants you a temporarily clearance, and only while you are in the military for a specific job requiring security clearance. It is important for you to go to the source, and ensure that you get paperwork showing your clearance, and expiration date on it. By law they must provide it to you, and usually you can allow up to 90 days for them to present you an certified copy. If they do not, they either are not taking you seriousely, or you only have an interm security clearance which either way does you no good on the outside world.

JAG will help you secure a authentic certified copy of your secret, or top secret security clearance with the expiration date on it. If in event that the date expires before your duties in the military are up, you are entitled to recieve another clearance so that you may use your security clearance no less then 24 months after getting out of the military to pursue a civilian job which requires the security clearance you recieved. Thed advantage to that company is they do not have to purchase a security clearance, the advantage to you is that your security clearance will get you immiediate entrance, and priority into any civilian job that requires a clearance of your specific type. I sort of am in a hurry, however wanted to take this time to address your request.

Thanks SSG Rice, If you know anyone who wants to be a linguist, or join the Army, please call me. 1-877-627-2599. Thanks SSG Rice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Temple, Texas

85 months ago

Hi does anybody knows about any company or anyway to get arabic translator job or role play on fort hood,???? please let me know because I been searching for ever and all I can find is Arabis translators needed in iraq ,and I am not intrested in that . I used to work On Fort Hood ,job called role play ,but I can't find a way to know if they still doing this kind of work or not .if anybody have any idea about any job On fort hood for arabic speackers please email me my email adress is jonathantarabey@hotmail.com,thank you very much for your time.

85 months ago

I hear there is a role player job coming up in Louisiana check craig list.com just go to googles type role player job in lousisiana craig list.

85 months ago

be sure to let me know what company is hiring for that

alex

84 months ago

I need to know as well, preferably Role Player in Southern California. How do you find these company.\?
I am googling my computer to death and nothing.
Please help.

jonathan in Killeen, Texas

84 months ago

I have been searching about that too and I haven't found anything yet , if you find something please let me know and I do the same too.

sunnyboy in Punta Gorda, Florida

84 months ago

They are having one rotaion in November for Arabic Speakers and another one in January for Pasto/Dari Linguist in southern california. contact L3 for these rotaion
if no luck I will find the recruiter email address for you.

84 months ago

just posted the comment for you.

84 months ago

sunnyboy in Punta Gorda, Florida said: They are having one rotaion in November for Arabic Speakers and another one in January for Pasto/Dari Linguist in southern california. contact L3 for these rotaion
if no luck I will find the recruiter email address for you.

Please email me sunnboy i would like very much to go . Thanks

alex

84 months ago

coco in El Cajon, California said: Please email me sunnboy i would like very much to go . Thanks

I, contacted L3 yesterday(Oct.11th), independent of this reply, and I was told they had a freeze on the rotations right now that they will start again in December/January. They will start the screening process around November 20th. They will also be posting it on their website:www.l3communications/jobs.
I am confused because I know people going to their rotations regularly including this month.
Are there any other companies? I heard of Lexington(sp)?

84 months ago

Try SM consulting, NorthropGrumman, ATS, SOS, STG, ALC, MVM, all are defense contracting companies Located in northern Virginia and other states. Also, check out the intelligence career web site you will find a whole list of those companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

zh in Peoria, Arizona said: GG, Thanks for your answer, I have contacted over 11 contractors with open Linguist positions and have been told the same that " DSS have denied me an interim due to the Bankruptcy". If you know of any contractors I would realy appreciate it.

Lookup my recent post..

alex

84 months ago

Many thanks GG. I'll check them all out.
Does Lexington or Lexicon sound familiar to you?
Alex

GG in San Bernardino, California said: Try SM consulting, NorthropGrumman, ATS, SOS, STG, ALC, MVM, all are defense contracting companies Located in northern Virginia and other states. Also, check out the intelligence career web site you will find a whole list of those companies.

84 months ago

84 months ago

you didn't provided your email address.post your email address I will forward the email and the phone number for the recruiter.

84 months ago

sunnyboy in Punta Gorda, Florida said: you didn't provided your email address.post your email address I will forward the email and the phone number for the recruiter.

shy_2007@cox.net my email address

Junior in Satellite Provider

84 months ago

Iam a DoD contractor working overseas for over two years with interm secret, my questions are:
-what is the main reason I was NOT granted my final clearance?
-what is the contractor role in that?
-I have learned that the contarctor is trying to expedite things and schedule me for an interview!
- would it be possible that one would be granted their final clearance without having to go through the subject interview stage
-what would be the most effecive question to ask in this regard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J. Kawai in Luke Afb, Arizona

84 months ago

zh in Peoria, Arizona said: GG, Thanks for your answer, I have contacted over 11 contractors with open Linguist positions and have been told the same that " DSS have denied me an interim due to the Bankruptcy". If you know of any contractors I would realy appreciate it.

Hi, I've been scouring the Internet looking for information on what it means to be a linguist outside of the military. I'm currently in a position to cross-train into the career field but I am not sure how easy or difficult it will be to get a job (here in the states). I'm currently in IT, have 2 masters degrees, but like so many military jobs have an MOS/AFSC that does not readily translate well to a civilian job.

If anyone would be able to or willing to answer a few questions I would be most greatful. My personal email is kavai001@gmail.com.

Reading these posts is somewhat concerning, but I also consider that every career has it's positives and negatives.

Thanks

Jay Hall in Virginia

84 months ago

bill army recruiter in Columbus, Ohio said: Military Security Clearences are only good for 10 years after issue. Top Secret Security Clearences are only good for 5 years after issue. For a Civilian Organization to run a Secret Security Clearence it can cost anywhere between 1,000.00 and 15,000.00. It is important to ensure that you do not have just an interm clearance, and also important to ensure that your Clearance will carry you out 24 months after your enlisment ends with the Army.

As previously sated, security clearances are good for 10 years or 5 years for TS. However, if you did not use your clearance for 2 years, it expires. Some people forget that. A good faq [PDF] about security clearances can be found here.

securityclearance.googlegroups.com/web/Security%20Clearance%20FAQs.pdf?gda=sXtiYUwAAABlewYaJu2Z7qM_51TK_KPOA9NeBzPl4zXrIShSvUH4FWG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDRFk7tpF-Dq-MiccrbREmX8kP3BnuXassC0GBNFpV6HEA&hl=en

Jay Hall in Virginia

84 months ago

shesagypsy in LA, California said: I'm applying for a job with L3. The job posting that I am interested in does not state that a DoD security cleareance is required, as do other postings. Can I assume that sercuity clearnece is not needed for that particular job? I'm worried that I may be denied since my credit is poor. I have no bankruptcy on it but I am behind on some payments.

Thank you!

Not all defense jobs require a security clearance, but most do. You probably are fine, depending on how 'bad' your credit really is..

Jay Hall in Virginia

84 months ago

alex said: I need to know as well, preferably Role Player in Southern California. How do you find these company.\?
I am googling my computer to death and nothing.
Please help.

Go to job sites (military.com or clearancejobs.com) that specialize in security clearance jobs...then just search/scan the listings for translator jobs and look at who posted them and then check out the company directly by googling their name.

sunnyboy in Cape Coral, Florida

84 months ago

L3 is hiring for this position which is suppose to be in Jannuary.

liz in Killeen, Texas

83 months ago

I am about to retire and I have a security clerenafe that does not expire unit june 2012, I have been involed in a few CID cases 1 I was suppose to get an article 15 but charges was dismissed however I put in my request for clearence once the charges were dismissed I got the clearence 8 years later I was involved in anohter case howver found two charges unfounded and got a letter of repirmand on 1 charge. Being that I am getting out of the military and you have to get an interm before you get the civilian job with mantech, so do you think I will get the interm even though I have a secuity clearence?

Jay in New York, New York

83 months ago

Is your security clearance still active? Have you "used" your security clearance in a job in the past two years. If it's been longer than that, then your security clearance probably expired. Then you would need to get a interim while your new clearance is being processed. Take a look at this FAQ about security clearances. It might help.

securityclearance.googlegroups.com/web/Security%20Clearance%20FAQs.pdf?gda=sXtiYUwAAABlewYaJu2Z7qM_51TK_KPOA9NeBzPl4zXrIShSvUH4FWG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDRFk7tpF-Dq-MiccrbREmX8kP3BnuXassC0GBNFpV6HEA&hl=en

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.