art direction is for me. what step do i take next?!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Kevin Magarity in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Hi there,

I have recently graduated from college with a degree in Art focusing in New Media. It wasn't until my Jr. year in college that i decided i wanted to do something in the art/creative field. I packed all of my required classes in so i could graduate on time, and as soon as i graduated i felt lost. I have dabbled in many things, painting, illustration, graphic design, directing, writing, video editing, photography, and cinematography (I know that I have talent, but I didn't have enough time to work on one focus). I have been applying to different fields for a few months now, trying to learn programs on my free time, and entering design contests to keep me motivated(add to my portfolio). I have two hokey design/illustration internships now and I am working part time.
I started doing research and I have determined that art direction is the field i belong in. Unfortunately my portfolio does not show a focus in that field, and I do not have the hands on experience. It seems like the only thing I can do is intern at an agency, take a few classes, or go to grad school (which is a pricy option, and is scary knowing I don't have prior experience). I don't know where to begin. Please any sort of advice is helpful. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.