Terminated from Employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

AP. Jackson in Columbus, Ohio

83 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I was recently terminated from employment (of over two years) at a local children's hospital. During my lunch hour, a bully in the workplace (who hated me passionately) came up into my face, I felt threatened and told the bully to step away or I might punch her in the face. I was immediately terminated because HR felt I threatened the employee.
After an investigation, the bully was also terminated (had done this before).

I am an african american female and the bully is also an african american female. I was told by co-workers that this type of incident occurred with caucasian employees in the company and the caucasian employees are not terminated for bad behavior, they get a warning....

What are your thoughts on this incident...?
Also....should you believe I have a case please provide the name of an excellent attorney I could talk to...

Unemployed in Ohio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Stamford, Connecticut

83 months ago

Here we go again...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Augusta, Georgia

83 months ago

The difference was because of race IMHO. If two people from different races get into a fight at work, then they don't want to do anything drastic because it will escalate into a racial discord in the workplace, so everybody just sat on it with warnings. When the situation got to the same threats with clearly no racial issues because both were the same race, then it is time to start firing people because it is a clear case of two people being adversarial with no race factors involved.

In reality, the bully should have been fired immediately as well as the Caucasians in the very first instance. Every company has a rule about threatening another employee. You just don't do it, period. There is never a reason to do so in a business.

It is the same situation as a supervisor harassing an employee. There are usually warnings (the first time) but no one gets fired. If that same supervisor gets into the face of another supervisor and receives a threat in return, it's out the door with both of them.

You have no case because it was only the desire to maintain racial harmony that caused the bully to remain after the first incident. The company was bending over backward there, not being racially discriminating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Augusta, Georgia

83 months ago

Re-reading you post indicates you MAY have meant that the previous instances involved two Caucasians. If that is the case and you can prove it is true then you have an airtight case for racial discrimination.

As for attorney, they will provide one at the EEOC. File a report in any case and discover the truth for yourself but be prepared to have those co-workers ready to sign sworn statements to a Federal officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Stamford, Connecticut

83 months ago

Jerry Mahoney in New York, New York said: Yes, if you're the right kind of minority (black, homosexual, Hispanic, etc.), you enjoy rights and privileges over and above lesser mortals. If, on the other hand, you happen to be white and male, you're totally out of luck in this brave new world.
Black skin privilege rules.

Absolutely true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Notsurprised in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

Bill in Stamford, Connecticut said: Absolutely true.

Poor Bill and Jerry! The privileged white males who have been so mistreated and under represented throughout the history of this nation that laws had to be created to allow for some equality or better yet "dignity" of people who don't look like them. Give me a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dacoh

55 months ago

The EEOC will not provide an attorney. They will investigate and their finding may be "right to sue." Though this may seem worthless, it could strengthen your case if you pursue it. It seems like it would be difficult to prove that all factors in the case involving caucasians were the same with the exception of race. Without having all of the details of both cases, my cursory opinion is that your case would be very difficult to prove. If you hired an attorney, he or she would mostly take your money. I doubt you would find someone to take this case on a contingency basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

Bill in Stamford, Connecticut said: Here we go again...

Agreed. I'm hearing impaired. I want to be special too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JaneBeau in Clifton, Virginia

24 months ago

Just to answer your question, I've used some good sites to review attorneys - check out <a href="www.avvo.com">www.avvo.com</a> and <a href="www.litigatr.com/employment/>www.litigatr.com</a> for an employment attorney in Ohio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.