AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAINS DONT GET PAID WELL !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1176)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

John Demper in Guilford, Connecticut

87 months ago

AUTOMOTIVE TECHS DONT GET PAID WELL ! THEY HAVE BUY 50,000.00 IN TOOLS AND WORK ON HOT ENGINES,GET CUT ,BURNT AND PAID CRAP. THE STARTING PAY IS ABOUT 8.00- 10.00 A HOUR AFTER YOU HAVE A YEAR OF SCHOOL UNDER YOUR BELT. AFTER FIVE TO SEVEN YEARS YOU MAY BE MAKING 17.50 - 19.50 PER FLAT RATE HOUR.IF A BRAKE JOB PAYS TWO HOURS AND YOU DO IT 1 HOUR YOU HAVE DONE WELL.BUT LETS SAY YOU WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP AND HAVE A ENGINE JOB THAT PAYS 8 HOURS UNDER WARRANTY BUT IT TAKE YOU 12 HOURS -YOU JUST WORKED 4 HOURS FOR FREE.ITS FORCES THE TECH TO TAKE SHORT CUTS THAT MAY BE UNSAFE.THINKING ABOUT BEING A AUTOMOTIVE TECH, THINK AGAIN. TRY A PLUMBER AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE FIELD YOU MAKE 30.00 PLUS A HOUR AND ALL YOU NEED IS BUCKET OF TOOLS FOR COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS.!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (218) / No (87) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Sarasota, Florida

86 months ago

Yes, I must agree, the automotive technician job used to be profitable, rewarding and honest years ago. More tools, more training, more complexity and constant pay cuts due to warranty labor rate reductions.

The warranty labor rate reductions trickle down to Chiltons, Motors, Mitchells and other flat rate manuals. They bump up the posted warranty rate and there you have it..........customer pay jobs that pay less too!

You used to get a decent percentage of the flat rate too. I remember years ago getting 50%! Ha! check it out now! Labor rates of $90-$100 per hr......what's your portion of that? You do the math! Very sad!

And, don't get me started about this flush/service scam. IT'S COMMONLY REFERED TO AS A WALLET FLUSH!!! That's they only thing that really gets a full service!

It is so sad to see what has happened in this business over the years. I really used to love it and loved doing it. I left the business over a year ago at the top of my game, (experience, certifications, etc.)

I'm not looking back and not going back! I would no longer recommend this profession to anyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (141) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

DONALD PELLIEN in Colorado Springs, Colorado

86 months ago

I OWN A SUCEESSFUL INDEPENDENT SHOP IN BLACK FOREST OUTSIDE COLORADO SPRINGS. WE HAVE 4 TECHNICIANS, THE QUALIFIED TECHS MAKE $25 A FLATRATE HOUR, AND OUR CUSTOMER PAYS $87 PER HOUR. SOUNDS GOOD BUT ONLY AS LONG AS BILLED AND FLAGED TIME MATCH, TOO OFTEN IT HAS NOT MATCHED. WE LOOSE 20% DUE WARRANTEE AND LOW ESTIMATES TRYING TO STAY COMPETITIVE. IN MY OPINION, THE PUBLIC IS THE DRIVING FACTOR THAT KEEPS THE INDUSTRY WAGE LOW. BUT AT THE SAME TIME THE PUBLIC IS OFTEN THE VICTIM OF POORLY SKILLED TECHNICIANS AND A GREED DRIVEN INDUSTRY. ITS A RACKET THAT NEEDS TO BE STREAMED LINED AND/OR INDUCED WITH SOME REAL INTEGRITY. WE ALL SHOULD MAKE GOOD LIVING WITHOUT HAVING TO WORK 65+ HOURS A WEEK TO BE SOMEWHAT COMFORTABLE. AS LONG AS THE PUBLIC CONTINUES PULL THE FINANCIAL STRINGS AND SALES PERSONEL CONTINIUE TO SELL GARBAGE MAINTENANCE AND FOLLOW ONLY THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR THIS INDUSTRY WILL NEVER CHANGE. THE ANSWER INSTEAD IS TO SEEK OUT THE CUSTOMER NEED WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY AND INTEGRITY POSSIABLE AND THEN MAKE SURE YOUR PAIDED FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND ACCURACY. THAT IS THE ART OF REAL SALESMANSHIP, NOT HOW YOU CAN BEAT FLATRATE AND THEN SMOOTH TALK CUSTOMERS INTO A CRAP REPAIR OR MAINTENANCE ITEM. WE NEED SOME TYPE OF GUIDE TO BASE OUR BILLABLE TIME, NOT A DO OR DIE FLATRATE SYSTEM WHICH IS OFTEN INACURATE. THE PUBLIC NEEDS TO RESPECT WHAT WE DO AND FEEL COMFORTABLE THAT WE HAVE THEIR BEST INTEREST IN MIND. TOO OFTEN THIS IS NOT THE CASE AND IT WILL NEVER CHANGE UNTIL WE AS PROFESSIONALS CREATE THIS KIND OF CULTURE THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION. FIX THE COMPANY CULTURE AND THE CUSTOMERS WILL FOLLOW. THE PROFITS WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE IT HAPPEN, NOT THE "WANTA BE'S". SOUNDS EASIER THAN IT IS, BUT PERCEPTION IS AN ENORMOUS PART OF SUCCESS IN ANY INDUSTRY. UNTIL WE REVISE OUR OUTLOOK WITH INTEGRITY FIRST, THEN QUALITY AND BELIEVE THE ALMIGHTY "BUCK" WILL FOLLOW, THE INDUSTRY WILL ALWAYS FALL SHORT OF THE HIGH EXPECTATIONS THE PUBLIC DEMANDS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Toyota Tech in Saint Paul, Minnesota

85 months ago

Yes!,Yes!,Yes! I agree with all the above. I too left this trade earlier this year after 22 dissapointing years at the top of my field with all factory and ase certifications. I have never been so happy! I had the good fortune to have had the experience of 50/50 early in my career. It is really sad what has happened to our industry, and now with the introduction of the light duty classification it is a real slap in the face. I will continue to service a few of my loyal customers that have followed me home, other than that I will not look back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon in Tecumseh, Michigan

84 months ago

I had to leave the industry two years ago, not by choice but because of a motorcycle accident. I agree with everybody, I worked two jobs to live comfortably. I was in the automotive field for almost ten years when 9/11 happened and I could no longer afford to drive an hour to the ford dealership just to flag 20 hrs/week. When I started at the dealership there was almost twenty techs, by the time I left there was ten. I left and went to a motorcycle dealership. I was their for five years when I left, I was making 9.25 /hr, I should also mention I'm a harley certified tech and was working at a harley dealership. Shop rate 75/hr. So I understand and I'm on your side. I feel the biggest problem is that the general public doesn't understand the the way in which tech are paid. I lost alot of speed because of my accident(my leg was broken in three places knee,femur,and hip and lost allof the cartiledge)people ask me all the time why i don't go back. lets see i'm slower, doc said five years fo wrenching means knee and hip replacement, and I make more consistent money cooking for a local resturaunt and doing side jobs that i can hand pick. Education of the public, and bigger penalties for hacks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

walter martin in Merrimack, New Hampshire

83 months ago

Boy you hit the nail on the head Techicans are looseing all the time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

don fosey in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

83 months ago

Where do you go after this many years of being a technician, what other jobs are out there without going back to school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

calcruisin in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

I have to agree with alot that is said but my preception of the real problem is a bit different. I am a Dealer tech and have been for the last 12 years. I do quite well at it,for now. I have watched many things change with flat rate as far as the warranty aspect goes. Yes warranty times have dropped substantially. I have watched many of skilled techs bow out of the buisness for something different, although at a lower initial income. My pay thus far has steadly increased over the years. I dont see my self leaving just yet.

The problem, in my opinion does have to do with the general publics perception of what we do and what we have to know inorder to do this job. It also doesnt help when main chain service facilities perform unscrupulos acts tainting the publics image of us. I can remember an incident over 10 years ago that still taints people. (I intentionally left out the corperations name due to the sue happiness of people today.)
Here is the other issue for me as a dealer tech. People today have extreamly busy schedules which means they do not have time to take their car in for service. This has 2 effects on the trade. The first is due to this manufactures are making cars less serivceable. Meaning no timing belts,105k plugs,integrating fuel filter into the pump,100k coolant,7500 mile oil life, synthetic fluids for long life and many more service items being improved all in the intrest of keeping the purchasing customer on the road longer. Manufatures are not in the buisness of servicing cars, they are in it to sell cars period. Therefore they are making cars more appealing to customers. A large portion of these cars will never return to the dealer for customer pay work. They will be in for any warranty repairs but as mentioned above that pay is in many cases less then "fair-rate". People will trade these in for something newer likely before the vehcile reaches 100K.
out of characters so to be continued......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

calcruisin in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

The 2nd effect is people with their busy schedules that have the older cars that still do have maintence items that need to be done will neglet the needed items. The end result they drive it till that item fails substantially increasing the cost of the repair. When that person receives the estimate for the repair they feel we are just trying to rip them off or did and start telling all their friends how the local mechanic took them for all their money.

The thing I find the most puzzling is how a consumer has no problem jumping in a technicians face and discracing everything he has learned and work so hard at doing all most of his working career. (havent had this happen to me yet but have seen it) My thought is this, would that same person yell at a cook in a resturant that is cooking the food they are eating? No! Why not??? My god this guy is working on your car you drive your family around in. Are you really sure you want to be yelling at him??

Fortunitly for me the dealer takes care of me, If I get in some heavy diagnosis on a warranty job, if the warranty doesnt take care of it the dealer steps up so I dont take to much of a loss.

For us at the dealer and most dealers 80% of the cars are less then 5 yrs old which translates to about 75% warranty repairs. 15-18% are cars between 5 and 10yrs old leaving only about 2-5% over 10years old. Most of those cars end up in aftermarket shops.

One thing you guys should reflect on though, why did you decide to do this for a living when you started? I did it because I love the challenge of finding and fixing real problems with these machines. Not because of the politics that take place in the buisness. Which is the real problem with this career, enough so to drive good techs out.Almost did it myself a few times, but always looked closely at my initial reasons and see they are still there dispite it all.So I have learned to ignore the B.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

steve

81 months ago

Ex-Toyota Tech in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Yes!,Yes!,Yes! I agree with all the above. I too left this trade earlier this year after 22 dissapointing years at the top of my field with all factory and ase certifications. I have never been so happy! I had the good fortune to have had the experience of 50/50 early in my career. It is really sad what has happened to our industry, and now with the introduction of the light duty classification it is a real slap in the face. I will continue to service a few of my loyal customers that have followed me home, other than that I will not look back!

I went back to college studying to become a history teacher. I always liked cars,but what do you do when your fifty or sixty. I am looking to take a job as a pharmacy technician while in school. My wife went to college and is an EXA/CPht for walgreens pharmicies.And she has a great job. Anyways I am trasitioning out of a field that is just to unstable to ever really plan for any stable future. I dont even buy tools anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Toyota Tech in Rosemount, Minnesota

81 months ago

It's been a year and I still believe that leaving the Auto industry was the BEST thing I ever did! I still buy some tools and yes I still work on a FEW cars, at home for family and some of the loyal customers I've had over the years. I was lucky enough to have had a sideline that turned out to be a good career! I do like to fix things and figure out problems (sometimes on the phone for some of my former colleages) and I do enough of that to satisfy that hunger but, I no longer have to be involved in dealership politics and I love it! To me working on cars part time at home is much better than busting my ass for no respect and little money at the dealership! It is not that hard if you are talented and HONEST to find enough customers to stay busy full time if you want to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

satish kumar in Plano, Texas

81 months ago

John Demper in Guilford, Connecticut said: AUTOMOTIVE TECHS DONT GET PAID WELL ! THEY HAVE BUY 50,000.00 IN TOOLS AND WORK ON HOT ENGINES,GET CUT ,BURNT AND PAID CRAP. THE STARTING PAY IS ABOUT 8.00- 10.00 A HOUR AFTER YOU HAVE A YEAR OF SCHOOL UNDER YOUR BELT. AFTER FIVE TO SEVEN YEARS YOU MAY BE MAKING 17.50 - 19.50 PER FLAT RATE HOUR.IF A BRAKE JOB PAYS TWO HOURS AND YOU DO IT 1 HOUR YOU HAVE DONE WELL.BUT LETS SAY YOU WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP AND HAVE A ENGINE JOB THAT PAYS 8 HOURS UNDER WARRANTY BUT IT TAKE YOU 12 HOURS -YOU JUST WORKED 4 HOURS FOR FREE.ITS FORCES THE TECH TO TAKE SHORT CUTS THAT MAY BE UNSAFE.THINKING ABOUT BEING A AUTOMOTIVE TECH, THINK AGAIN. TRY A PLUMBER AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE FIELD YOU MAKE 30.00 PLUS A HOUR AND ALL YOU NEED IS BUCKET OF TOOLS FOR COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS.!!!!!!!!!!!

everybody are just cheap and just want to fill their pockets but without a mechanic and a body man this people cannot run their business,i hope all trade people can understand me and teach these people a lesson .thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

every body ,lets go on strike and than see wat happens

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Toyota Tech in Rosemount, Minnesota

81 months ago

satish kumar in Plano, Texas said: every body ,lets go on strike and than see wat happens

Well Satish, Two years ago we went on strike over the addition of the light duty classification, and after 2 ugly months, the rank and file caved in and accepted the worst deal since losing the 50/50 incentive a number of years ago. That and the greedy corporations that are buying up all the dealers and squeezing their employee's was enough for me!

For what ever reason, technicians have not stuck together strong enough to make for a real strong union!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Maddog in Flint, Michigan

80 months ago

This is the first time that I have seen a forum for automotive technicians! I have to say that this is a great start to be able to unify for better changes. I have been an automotive technician for going on 17 years and have just recently come back to the service. I left the service two years ago and tried to find other career choices that would support my family. This obviously failed! The problem is that most of us techs are only good at this line of work and at the same time are on a downword spiral to a bleek and ineffective career. I am employed in the automotive capital of the world( or at least was). I have watched the industry shift in so many different ways that it just confuses you. I started during the 50/50 days, rode the wave of the commission train, took the stability of the hourly pay and jumped abored the flat rate hindenburg. They all are an unfair system of pay. I have noticed that its not the how we get paid that is the problem, it's the who's going to pay you thats the problem. On commission and flat rate, you will only make money if two things happen: the rate of pay and the availability of business. The shop nor the tech will make anything if there is no work. However, even if there is work available, the rate has to be beneficially enough to offset your down time. However, anyone on hourly will find that they will not only get paid for what they are worth;but,will also be held back from what they're true potenetial could make them. It's a lose-lose situation either way you go! The worst problem is finding something else that you could do for a living that you could support your family in todays economy. Thats extremely hard, which brings me back to working in a shop again after 2 years out of the service. You still have to pay the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

david keyes in Owosso, Michigan

78 months ago

unless you manage, service manager, service writer, or an shop owner you are loosing. with 80,000 in tools state & ase certs updated scaners and a very terrable job market in michigan! i believe i'm close to done! truck drivers make alot better money with only three weeks to get cdl and cost of $3400.00 for school and "no tools/certs" to upkeep yearly!! good luck people i've been abused long enough!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

steve

78 months ago

i have been abused ,harrased ,used and what not so finally i took a job in walmart cooking chicken ,no trouble about tools and getting certified ,just lucky me and hope for best to all you out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Niceville, Florida

78 months ago

Booo Shiat in Longmont, Colorado said: I don't understand the whining - sounds like most of you need to stop working for dealerships. Get into a small shop and control all the work yourself. I worked under a great tech once at a podunk Firestone in NC and the guy worked honestly and well and billed about 70 flatrate a week and got paid $21 an hour and that is a lot more money than many people make in this damn country. I especially like the one about the guy leaving being a tech to become a teacher!!! I have been a teacher for years now and man, your problems are only just beginning.

I have worked for firestone myself so i can say this from experience.You may have worked with one tech that was in good with management and made some money,But i have found from my 20+ years in this profession that the only ones making money are the dishonest crooks.Management likes thses guy because it lines there pockets and if anything legals becomes of it they just fire the technician.Been around too long and have seen it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Niceville, Florida

78 months ago

Greg in Columbia, Missouri said: You are all a bunch of whiners. Anyone with decent skills and a desire to learn can and will make a very good living as a flat rate tech. The biggest problem I see is just what I have seen here. A bunch of hens standing around crying about what they cant do. I think you should all quit and go sell hamburgers at mickey d's so that you can find something else to gripe about.

And i think you should work as a flat rate tech for at least 5 years and get paid like we do.Obviously your not a technician or if you are your one of the crooked techs managers love because you'll rip a customer off in a heartbeat charging for stuff you dont actually perform

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jhood in south,carolina in Florence, South Carolina

78 months ago

right now i'm thinking abouth entering the automotive feild,as a auto technician.my thing is this,i know great pay only comes with experience as with any job, but what pay can you expect to make as an entry level mechanic,plus is there such a thing call a top master mechanic.i also want to know the hours mechanics usually work,and what to expect of the enviroment if anyone has any answers that may be helpful please reply thanks..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

mattymatt in Staten Island, New York

77 months ago

jhood,
you just ruined the post for everyone
the business is crooked. stay away. enough is never enough and too little is too much. in other words your damned if you do and your damned if you don't. Don't be an auto tech! (besides its more money for me if you suck!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Not-a-whiner in Lafayette, Colorado

77 months ago

I worked at a Carmax - 4 10 hour days, 3 days off. I billed around 80 flatrate hours a week at $16 an hour (I haven't been in this profession long enough for a higher wage). I worked thoroughly and honestly, but I will admit that you have to bust ass. Techs who are smart and fast and like to hustle will make money. Techs who like to stare at a job for thirty minutes, stand around the coke machine, pause here and there to talk about their POS ricer, will become bitter and grumble about how it is the industry more than their own work ethic. Also, you do not need 70k in tools or some of this other stuff people are going on about. Some use tools as a substitute for their you-know-what and the Snap-on man loves to see them coming. Get Snap-on or Matco for the regular, hard-use stuff, and cheap tools for the rest. Don't get tools that your brain can substitute for. Keep honest and your shop will respect that. Why? Because they need you more than you need them. A single tech can be hundreds of thousands in revenue for a shop. Especially, always remember, there are people who grumble constantly in every profession. EVERY profession. Also, remember that all jobs suck - that's why they are jobs. But take pride in what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

cj in Jackson, Michigan

77 months ago

I have read a few of these comments..i work a full time job 40 to 50 hours a week and like to work in the garage in my spare time. Me and my brother came up with an idea to do brake jobs on nights and weekends to make some extra cash.. does any one have any input on liability and or pricing...thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Evansville, Indiana

77 months ago

Education is the only way to succesful change. I hate the automotive industry and have made the commitment to go back to school. The person who commented on the fact that I was leaving to become a teaccher, may have a point. Teaching has its problems too. But what teaching does offer is stability. Here in VA fresh out of college, I will start at 40k. That is not alot of money,but it is stable. It will not be effected by economic change.

Also for once in my life, it will be nice to make a difference. I used to like the automotive industrty, but there is simply no stability in it. Not only that I work with some of the biggest liars and back stabbers I have ever met. Very one sided, people acting to be your friend and then finding out otherwise. Also the atitudes of some people are very threateaning at times. It is not a good place to work at all. Funny thing is it is a Honda dealership, AS a technician, Honda and Toyota are probably the best ones to work for. Goodluck to everyone no matter what you decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Big W in Colorado Springs, Colorado

77 months ago

Everyone here has a lot of good comments I went to tech school
started in a pit worked up to a dealership ended up at an independent that operation was total substandard begin with
some pay to great pay to no pay thats manicdepressive does any
body want to buy some tools figured I'd ask because this trade is over I should of sold the tools when the business was good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

clancy in Centerville, Massachusetts

76 months ago

there are many problems with this profession. iv'e been a tech for 15 years and have seen my pay steadily increase ("knock on wood"), but can calculate i'm approaching a plateau. dealerships are extremely against pay raises since it deflates their net profits, and the only way i can see my income keeping pace with inflation is to produce more flat rate hours. easier said than done. if i'm averaging b/w 50-80 hours a week now busting my butt, how can i make any more while warranty rates are still dropping and management keeps lowering flate rate times. it's capitalism in the RAW. in every industry out there, their goal is to show a profit percentage increase every year. it doesn't take a genius to figure out that reducing costs as the simplest solution. charge the customer slightly more for the same job while paying techs a little less every year. and yes this whole thing was started by the auto manufacturers themselves and has dwindled all the way down to the independants for the most part. figuring out and fixing problem cars still keeps me in this business but the attraction is fading, especially as i witness this corporate greed coupled with the actions of increasing number of dishonest techs who are degrading the highly skilled honest techs and the auto service industry as a whole. no wonder why we have a bad rap!! i guess i'm a whiner now with good reason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

just go and work in a body shop and do real job not a babys job than u will know how it feels .u are still a baby not a man

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

don bfa in Colorado Springs, Colorado

75 months ago

satish kumar in Plano, Texas said: just go and work in a body shop and do real job not a babys job than u will know how it feels .u are still a baby not a man

You have sucked in too many fumes. The body industry compared to mechanical and electrical/electronics ---not even comparable! Quality technicians motivated towards production -- not a hobby mentality should set the standard. Whether body or mechanical the good techs should be paid at the top of the industry. Unfortunitly the poor and sloppy drag the industry down!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

David in Baltimore, Maryland

75 months ago

Fleet work is the answer. I worked for a company that was owned by a man who cut grass as a boy and started his own landscape company. He had seen stripped threads in things that at first would take twenty min. to fix turn into two hours. He understood and paid me well till we were bought out by a very large company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jodandoe toyo tech ex nissan uti grad in in Palm Desert, California

75 months ago

dude no problem its not a horrible job but its not stable and you will never make great money. 4000 a month the most and it will be rare to have months that good. you will spend 20000 on tools and you will always be tired and grumpy. if your gonna work at a dealer go for the service writer position they get paid more and dont have to buy anything but slacks dress shoes and a pen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Calgary, Alberta

75 months ago

With all the above statements of bitterness who would ever want to be an automotive technician. To be honest it all depends on who you work for and how good you are. For me averaging 12hr a day flat rate is the norm. This is over the course of years and I'm not even the top tech in our shop! Yes, other trades do offer more in terms of benefits, some are even unions like electricians. Buying 50k in tools does suck but when your hobby is restoration it softens the blow. The best way to make money in a dealership is to learn the waranty and how you can use it to your advantage. I see more turn over of bad techs who refuse the learn or think for themselves than I care to mention. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my body isn't telling me my best years are behind me but 75+k a year isn't half bad when you consider your pay is directly related to how hard you work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Tom D. in Perrysburg, Ohio

75 months ago

Most of these comments seem to be coming from dealer techs. I work for a chain shop. We make a base hourly rate and then commission on the sales we do. Now it is true that it is very unstable work. But I have also had very productive weeks. My gross check have ranged anywhere from $300 all the way up to $1200 for one week. And I could do more, if the work was there. Now lately, business has sucked and my checks have been at the bottom end of the spectrum. I am always looking for a new job, something more steady with better pay. but i chose this work and it is what i am good at. I hate the fact that i have to pay to work by buying tools. You just have to find the right shop. My shop will reimburse me for the full price of my scanner that i bought. just one of the benefits of where i am at. It just sucks that are economy is having such a big affect on business right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mission Viejo, California

75 months ago

You guys need to work for a fleet shop. Im making 24.70 an hour working on a fleet of busses. I have decent insurance employer paid 100%. I am in the teamster union local 652 you guys need to get working for transit companys. I worked for a chrysler/jeep/dodge dealer for 3 days before I quit. They paid me 45 minutes to change 2 lower balljoints on warranty it took me about 3 hours to do, while the guy next to me was changing a warranty engine that paid 8 hours and it was his third day on it! Its all about ass kissing and politics in a dealer. This one guy would start at 8 am and be done at 2 pm with 18 hours booked and i would be doing lof all day i said screw this unless u want to blow the service advisor dont work for a dealer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hey. I work for a honda dealership, and it is pretty good. However the politics are so bad it becomes funny. My questionis, could I make atransition to fleet work as a honda technician? Dont have much expirenece with the bigger vehicles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Yeah you could do fleet work no problem. Working on bigger vehicles is alot easier than working on obd 2 and can vehicles. Most companys want you to have certs in ASE T-4 Brakes and T-8 PMI. Plus when you work fleet there is no time pressure when I used to work for an independant shop it was always run run run. Now I take my sweet ass time and I enjoy my life alot more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I like being a Dealer tech. For one, I only have to worry about one product line. I have all the specialty tools and factory support at my disposal. And you dont need to spend 50k in tools. That is an ego thing. I learned a very long time ago that if I had to ask to borrow a tool more then three times, then I will buy it. Other wise I dont. Basic hand tools are basic hand tools. The quality may differ for sure, but I have a set of husky wrenches that I have had for years, and they still work. I have 1/4 inch sockets from sk, craftsman, stanley,. They all still work too. Every career has its good and bad points. there is no perfect profession. It seems that most of us, sometimes let are ego get in the way of professionalism. I will admit that since I stopped working on domestics, and switched to asian imports, I have enjoyed my career alot more. The domestic techs do have it hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

UTI student in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Alot of interesting opinions here.
I left the mortgage industry to return to automotive school.
Lets see a poll of average pay so everyone is on the same page.

Sound off...
What make of car do you work on (mercedes, bmw, ford, honda....)?
What are you getting paid/hr?
Rough ave. of hours flagged per week?
What state do you work in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

clancy in Centerville, Massachusetts

74 months ago

im a nissan master tech and make 22.00 hour and average 75 hours a week flat rate at a nissan dealer in massachusetts...that's working my butt off roughly 55 hours a week doing honest work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Nashville, Tennessee

74 months ago

Work for a Honda dealer in Virginia. I make 17.00 dollars an hour flat rate and on average get paid 90 to 125 hours bi-weekly. Hvae ase certification and VA inspector license. Work 730-530 M-F, with an hour lunch from 12-1. Saturday and Sunday Off. when you graduate from school get yourself a job with Honda, Toyota, or Nissan and stay there. They will continue your education through there training centers. Also dont be a pre-madonna, be a worker. You will recieve alot more respect. Dont go into extreme debt with snap-on. Most of my stuff is sk, craftsman, husky. Had it for years and they still work. Hondas dont require you to have too many tools anyways. Learn the basics and learn the warranty and you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hey UTI student their is one guy at my work who went thru uti diesel program, and all he does is oil changes and tire changes etc. He makes 14/hr and has been with us 6 months. UTI is not very highly regarded in the real world...u cant learn everything there is to being a mechanic in a little over a year. You are better off going to community college and getting certificates from a real accredited school. Plus it will save you money, what is it nowadays 30,000 for the courses? Oh but you get a snap-on starter tool set!!! UTI is only good if you want to work as a flat rate tech at a dealer even then you should do something else. The guy at my work worked at long beach BMW and he said it was the most fucked up place hes ever worked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Merritt Island, Florida

74 months ago

Hey guys-

How does overtime work for everyone? Does anyone receive time and a half in addition to their flat rate when they go over 40 hours per week? If so, where do you work...dealer, independent shop, etc.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

UTI student in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Bill in Mission Viejo, California said: Hey UTI student their is one guy at my work who went thru uti diesel program, and all he does is oil changes and tire changes etc. He makes 14/hr and has been with us 6 months. UTI is not very highly regarded in the real world...u cant learn everything there is to being a mechanic in a little over a year. You are better off going to community college and getting certificates from a real accredited school. Plus it will save you money, what is it nowadays 30,000 for the courses? Oh but you get a snap-on starter tool set!!! UTI is only good if you want to work as a flat rate tech at a dealer even then you should do something else. The guy at my work worked at long beach BMW and he said it was the most fucked up place hes ever worked.

Bill,
I understand your opinion. One bad apple can ruin the bunch. You should get to know more the students before passing judgement on all of them. UTI is like anything other place of education....you get out what you put in. There are plenty of students that are there just happy to get only a passing grade, but there are also a few that are at the top of their class (and as a result are heavily recurity by top brands). As far as accredidation, UTI is. If you are going to attend automotive school, UTI is the best in the nation. If it wasn't the dealers (Mercedes, Cummings, BMW, Ford, Audi) wouldn't affiliate themselfs with the school...they would pick up another school (Wyotech students have to attend UTI campuses after they graduate to get the dealer training). This thread isn't about automotive schools, its about technician pay. Take your bitterness elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

BILL in Mission Viejo, California

74 months ago

Depends jimmy-every shop is different. But if you are a top notch tech you can make good money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Philip in Germantown, Maryland

74 months ago

Yes, I started in this profession when the rest of you were still sucking your thumb. Let me tell you I've had the best of both very good and very poor. The poor have been about an even match for the good. The biggest item I think I hate about this bussiness is always having to see if you are going to get paid for a job. This will take up to 1 to 6 hrs. every 2 weeks. I have seen everything from an adviser forgetting to pay (a little check mark on the repair invoice) to putting someone else's tech number on it, to the computer program just dropping the time.
For anyone thinking about getting into this bussiness. Listen to your elders and find something else.
The newest screwing and one I don't thing I have seen before is that certain people in the shop have helpers. So they get more done in a faster time. Since the slowdown we have limited cars and you get 1 ticket to there 3 then the works done for the day and its only noon. They have the rest of the day covered because there estimates from the morning are just coming back with approvial.
The greatest one is I now have an adviser that just screws me. He acts as a good person then his latest thing is saying he would have given me a new job but I wasn't in my bay. This is a ????? that calls me 10 times a day and could not call me when he had a job because I was in the lunch room reading ( I had not had a job all day and it was 1:30 PM).
Anyway I'm out of room to complain. Hope to find a way to sue (I was one of the 75k a year tech's before also)Helper quit. He was going to loose his house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

You make a good point Steve. Education is the key to becoming a good technician. I am getting out of the business, but am still working on a few classes I have left to get into the nursing program. I have enjoyed working on cars but feel that If because I have to go back to college to learn all this computer stuff, then I am just going to go back to college for something more stable.

Being a tech is not a bad career. It is one of the fastest growing occupations out there. But todays cars require post-secondary education. There is no more shade tree. If you love technology, and you also love cars, then Automotive may be for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Dealerships are nothing but politics. If you dont have the stomach for it, stay away from them. However there is advantages to dealerships. For one you work on the same thing all day.Repition will eventually make you more money. The private owned shops and tire stores have a more difficult time, because they will work on anything, and also dont have the factory support like the dealerships do.

The allied health professions can be an option. My cousins wife went to nursing school for LPN. After one year of school, she had a starting salary 21.00 doolars an hour. 45 credit hours of college. Total cost of the program, right about 5 grand. That is a small investment for 21.00 an hour. I know people with BA degrees that could not get a job as fast, or start out as much. MY point: If you are going to leave the business, go into the health professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jeepman401 in Norwich, Connecticut

73 months ago

There is no stability in the automotive field right now.
I can honestly say I didn't get into the field to get rich. I like working on cars. I prefer troubleshooting problems, and learning new technology, So I have spent (Pronounced wasted) the last few years in a dealership.
I have seen both sides of flat rate. I have worked a 9 hour day and made .5, and I have also had days where I went home at 1 after making 15 hours. It used to balance out, but it never seems to any more. A little while back, we got a new service manager, and he brought in 2 new techs into a shop where there wasn't enough work to go around as it was.
a few weeks later I get a pink slip and I get told that there wasn't enough work to go around, and I all of a sudden was out of a job.

Now I am finding nothing out there but low pay mindless jobs at tire shops and quick lubes, and I think its time to move on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

steve w in Elmira, New York

73 months ago

there is a lot of tire and quick lube jobs out there ..but it a bad time of year to try to get a job, as soon as the holidays end employment should start looking up ..take any free courses.i cant get enough! i look foward to fixing this stuff,i bounced around to several jobs befor i found a good one, someone who appreciates me, keep you head up . and buy a tool box you can easly load and un load yourself, makes easy travel! get -r- done !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeepman401 in Norwich, Connecticut

73 months ago

A bit late for the tool box advice unfortunetly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dealer technician in Brampton, Ontario

73 months ago

I work for a dealer in toronto, canada, I have been fixing cars for 12 years
i have worked for a dealer for 6 years, i have seen the rise and fall in just 6 years of dealership experience people just dont want to spend on thier cars like they use to. \i have read about techs complaing about poor warranty times there is moto we follow in my dealeship, we say let them do whatever they want because in the end they are just pissing of technicians and thats probably the worst thing they could do, we(techs) always win I SCAM WARRANTY EVERYDAY TO FEED MY FAMILY if they dont like it then stop F*&!king me on warranty. CP customers never get screwed the way we look at it is if the ceo's of the big three can take private jets to congress then they can afford to pay us fair warranty times.
The manufactures do it to themselves. another thing to many techs not enough work in the dealerships causes fighting over jobs day in day out.
T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.